Dressed like a daydream

Once upon a fairytale

Characters: Hoseok & OC

Setting: Disney au – Cinderella au

Genre: adventure, fluff, romance, humour

Words: 10354

Summary: When the Crown Princess' best friend agrees to go to the ball instead of her to kill Prince Hoseok and save her from an arranged marriage, that's definitely not how she planned this.

Prompt: N10. Cinderella did not come to the party to enjoy it, but is instead an assassin tasked to kill the prince.

Thank you, lovely restless_maknae, for betaing! ♥

For the sake of the story let’s just accept that all the big Korean cities are autonomous kingdoms, Incheon people are famous for their blonde hair, their style is similar to Disney royalties instead of traditional Korean dressing and wars, assassins, arrange marriages are common things.

Each part's title is lyrics of Blood, sweat and tears.


 

The Royal Family of Gwangju

invites you to the

Annual Masquerade Ball

in celebration of

the Prince's birthday.

 

♪♫ Kill me softly

The only thing that catches my attention beyond the ink black beautiful cursive words painted on the pearl-white card is the royal seal. I guess the impression in red wax must symbolize the Sun or at least a star because the family’s slogan ‘light shines through’ is written under it but I’m not sure. Even though I had to take foreign politics classes, I liked napping more than actually paying attention to the instructor. Boring stuff like this is for the high class, the nation’s future rulers and not for somebody who enjoys sword-wielding more than diplomacy talks. Unfortunately, being the daughter of the commander-in-chief means that I live in the palace alongside the Royal family’s spoiled kids. I despise them all except Yerin, the Crown Princess of Incheon. She is the only one who doesn’t look down on me just because I’m not a noble heir and she preferred playing with me instead of her maids or cousins. That’s why it hurts seeing her getting so restless just because of a tiny piece of paper.

“I thought you liked going to balls,” I mumble baffled and an eyebrow at the young girl pacing up and down in her room. The ribbons of her light pink dress are swirling in the air following her and I’m slowly getting a headache from the staccato click-clacks of her heels.

“I do like them but this isn’t just any kind of ball. This is my engagement,” she cries out in frustration and now I can understand her sudden reaction caused by the envelope given to her.

“What?!”

“Yeah. I was supposed to be engaged when I turn twenty-one but at breakfast, my parents told me that they changed their mind and it would be more beneficial to seal the deal now,” Yerin sighs with the burden of two nations on her shoulders and plops down beside me on the soft mattress, burying her face in her hands.

I pat her head hesitantly because even though I feel sorry for her, I can’t really relate to this sticky situation. As a princess, she knew since birth that she would have an arranged marriage with a wealthy prince. Twenty is already way over the common age royals used to wed at. It can’t really be helped.

Yerin cries silently with shaking shoulders and I gently her back to soothe her. Pathetic little hiccups escape as she clutches onto my other hand in her lap. Being the Princess’ best friend means that I’m her most trusted companion, the one she tells about her biggest secrets and the one who’s there for her when she needs a shoulder to lean on.

“Please, help me!” she whispers tightening her grip on me and the words are spilling from hysterically: “Go instead of me. You’ll wear a mask, nobody will know it’s not me. Try to talk the prince out of it or… just kill him.”

The end of the sentence knocks all the air out of my lungs and I in a breathe shakily.

We live in a cruel world where assassins are as common as dirt and it isn’t a secret that my training involved the art of taking lives without leaving any sign behind. But I certainly didn’t expect a request like this from the Crown Princess. She has never asked anything from me before.

“Are you serious?” I gape at her astonished and pull back a little to get a closer look at her. My heart sinks at the sight of Yerin’s watery and puffy eyes. The ever so innocent princess isn’t so harmless after all. She must be really in despair.

“I can’t marry him,” she shakes her head relentlessly and realization hits me hard. My jaw drops to the floor at the thought of one certain caramel brown haired guy with the widest smile the world has seen.

“It’s because of the horse-boy?” I squeal loudly and Yerin covers my mouth with her hand to muffle my sounds. So I’m right.

“Shh...” she hisses at me with fear in her eyes and she looks around searching for eavesdropping servants in her own bedroom.

Her actions only confirm what I thought and it leaves me in shock. I have presumed for a while that the Princess is closer to the horse caretaker boy than she should be. Every time I mentioned her weekly riding lessons, her whole face lighted up and she couldn’t hide her shy smile, nor the rose pink blush on her pale cheeks. Still, I couldn’t be sure because she didn’t say anything about the time they spent together and I was in no place to pressure her. I respected her private life.

“Please…” the Princess begs with desperation clear in her eyes. I turn my head away and huff.

“I can’t stab the prince to death at his own ball.”

It’s insane. There will be probably dozens of guards everywhere around him and if I made one suspicious move, they wouldn’t hesitate to take me out. But Yerin has an acceptable solution.

“A poison is enough. We will make it look like a long-term illness’ result,” she explains keenly. Her dull eyes are filled with lively stars once again because she knows me too well: she’s aware that since I didn’t reject her request right away, she can still convince me.

“It’s not the first time you thought about it, right?” I muse out loud and for a moment, the Princess seems pretty scary. Planning somebody else’s death isn’t something one would do between two diplomatic meetings to pass time.

“Please… You’re the only one I can trust,” Yerin begs and a royalty never begs. My throat tightens as invisible claws are scratching my skin. It’s itching: the limbo between the urge to prove my loyalty and my sense of justice. But just like her, I also know that in the end I’ll say yes. I just have to be careful about it. I’m different from her, my title won’t save me if something goes wrong.

“And what if I get caught? I can’t act like you.”

I usually don’t doubt myself but it’s true: pirouette, etiquette and dance classes were never my favourites. The battle field is where I feel myself home. Though, since we signed peace with the eastern regions, I have been using my skills in internal affairs. Hunting, practicing archery and swordplay are my most loved pastime activities. Maybe that’s why Yerin thinks I’m perfectly suitable for the assassin role.

“You’ll escape unharmed. I know you can do it. You’re the best,” the Princess massages my tensed shoulders with her boosting words that always work before tournaments. However, this time it isn’t just a game for fun and pride.

“Is he really that bad? I mean killing sounds a little extreme, don’t you think?”

My best friend pursues her lips in a straight line grimacing. “We only met once but all I remember is that he found his joy in tearing at my hair and stealing my favourite toy from me.”

“You were just kids,” I try to reason and change her mind but it’s in vain.

“Yeah and my cousins were kids then too. Being young and immature is just an excuse,” Yerin replies harshly in a serious tone and I gasp in surprise. Did she really use this against me?

I know that as a subject of Incheon I have to follow the Princess’ orders but aside from that, I personally own Yerin my life. When we were children, her cousins threw me into the outside dirty fish pool. They knew well that I had no idea how to swim but they just stood there and laughed at me as I struggled to stay on the surface. Why? Simple, because they could. My word didn’t mean anything against theirs anyway. Still, they hated the fact that a nobody like me lived in the palace with them and they had to interact with me when we were tutored. They despised and detested me even more because I was better than them in practical stuff. They still do.

Yerin saved my life that day: not caring about her title, she jumped in when she saw what was going on and pulled me out. That’s how we became best friends and she always made me feel equal with her even though I  could never have reached her toes because of our class difference. I’m proud to say that I know her better than her own family so if she thinks murder is the only way, I have to believe her.

“Fine. It shall be as you wish,” I bow slightly and listen to her chanting thank yous all day. I tell myself it’s okay because I only want her to be happy but the thought of murdering a prince keeps me up all night like nothing before.

 

♪♫ My last dance (take it away)

Yerin must be in favour of the goddess of luck because her parents allow her to choose her own escorts to the ball. Because the journey is all day long on muddy roads down south, the princess can’t travel alone with the carriage driver, she needs guards too. She decides to involve me among the escorts instead of her usual maid, so nobody will find my absence weird.

The plan is perfect: we will change clothes and put on our masks in the carriage on the way and during the ball Yerin can spend some lovey-dovey time with her horse-boy. Two birds with one stone, she says and I grimace bitterly. I’m not jealous though. They can have their romantic date all they want while I kill someone in their favour. It’s easy, I only have to drip the poison into his drink and then wait a little until the symptoms are showing. He will probably faint by the time he should declare the engagement. And even if he survives the dose because he doesn’t drink the whole glass and the pharmacists save him, the King of Incheon will no longer accept this marriage offer because of the ‘ill’ prince. It’s flawless, isn’t it? The only risky factor here is me if I get caught or mess it up. Not that I plan to.

The day of the ball arrives sooner than I expect and I sit in the royal carriage in Yerin’s glorious sky blue dress and crystals in my hair that has been ironed to match hers. The glittering butterfly-shaped mask hides most of my face and judged by a glance into the mirror, it is really hard to tell the difference since we both have the native Incheon blonde hair and fair skin. The Princess wears my black clothes, her hair tied up high in a ponytail and she keeps biting her lower lip nervously.

When the horses are slowing down, I peek out of the window in-between the silk curtains and my jaw drops. If I thought Incheon had a beautiful palace, I would have no words to describe this wonder. It’s made of marble, shines white-gold and silver like the moon on dark nights. The towers are reaching for the sky and looking at them I feel tiny as a grain of sand. It looks like it’s straight out of a fairytale. A hand on my left knee shakes me out of my awe.

“Don’t forget you have to find an excuse to leave before midnight because then everybody will take off their masks,” Yerin reminds me and shoves the little phial filled with blue substance into my hands. “He should drink all of it.”

“I know. You’ve already told me this multiple times,” I snap at her and roll my eyes. My nerves are dancing on fire, I can’t help it. I would rather fight on the battlefield than put on a show at a masquerade ball dressed as a princess.

For one last time I fix my mask and faintly marvel at the smooth lacy material of it. When the vehicle halts completely, I stand up abruptly and lift up the end of my skirt hoping that I won’t fall on my soon. I’m not used to these big frilled dresses but at least it’s easy to hide anything in them. I tuck the phial in one of its hidden pockets and move to step out.

“Hey...” Yerin grabs my hand hastily. I turn back to look at her masked, pretty face and her eyes swimming with worry. “Take care!”

“You know I will. Have fun! See you soon,” I reassure her with a forced but confident smile and open the door wide. The chilly wind ruffle up my hair and I get goosebumps all over my uncovered arms.

One of the escorts - dressed in Incheon’s black and gold uniform - steps in front of me. It takes me a few seconds to recognize Taehyung, the Princess’ precious horse-boy. He doesn’t look at me, just holds out his arm to help me get off the carriage. I almost laugh at him for being ridiculous because I can land on my two feet even when I jump off a running horse. But then again, I remind myself that now I’m supposed to be as elegant as Yerin, so I take his hand while I descend.

“Thank you... for doing this for us,” Taehyung whispers close to my ears, his voice dripping with gratitude and suddenly I feel sore and bitter. I let go of his hand as soon as I can to smooth the non-existing crinkles of my dress.

“I’m not doing this for you. I’m doing this for Yerin.” I mutter back, my heart pounding in my throat. I have to pay off my debt. Even if it means a suicide mission like this to kill the prince at his own birthday ball. After all, nobody would expect an attack from a lady, right?

I raise my chin proudly high and stare stonily ahead of me. My gaze wanders at the golden carpet surrounded by royal guards and Gwangju flags until the butler steps in front of me to greet me.

“Good evening, Your Highness. I hope you had a lovely and safe journey,” the middle-aged man bows deeply and extends his right hand towards me, palms up, waiting. “May I get your invitation?”

“Oh, right...” I mumble incoherently and glance behind my back to seek help from the others. Lucky for me, Taehyung quickly comes to my rescue and places the white envelope into my hands. I force a fake smile trying not to act so rigid and suspicious while the butler takes the paper from me and his eyes scan the address.

“Ah, Princess Yerin, so wonderful to have you here,” the Gwangju subject exclaims in delight and I realize because of the masks, this is his only way to figure out who the guests are without being rude and asking directly.

“Thank you,” I nod a little, keeping the shy smile on my face and I accept his offered arm. He accompanies me towards the entrance of the magnificent castle leaving Yerin and her loverboy behind. We pass by several soldiers (I’ve counted twenty-six so far), wall-to-wall paintings, huge gilded mirrors and I have to gasp for air when we enter the ballroom. There’s glitter, gold and diamonds everywhere I look: the chandelier, the floor but even the candlestick must worth more than everything I have back at home! Despite being a fairly petite kingdom, it must be quite rich, so no wonder why Incheon wants to have its alliance. We have exceptional military force and they have good fortune.

One of the servants rings a bell and it makes the chirping and dancing guests to look up curiously, turning their heads towards me.

“Dear guests, let me introduce you Princess Yerin, the Crown Princess of Incheon,” the butler announces me and I remind myself to bob a curtsy. The sound of clapping fills the room immediately and I nervously gulp. I’m not used to being under so intense attention. By strangers no less.

“Enjoy your night!” my lets go of my arm and with a final bow he takes his leave.

Suddenly I’m left alone in the midst of royals and with a goal set on my mind: find the Prince and take him out. For good. I descend the marble stairs ignoring all the stares and wait for someone who’re ready to be the knight in shining armour willing to save a princess from loneliness. Yerin told me that a lady should never initiate a conversation, so I follow her advice. It doesn’t even take two whole minutes until somebody steps in front of me. Men are so predictable nowadays.

“Dear Princess, would you favour me with your first dance?” my self-proclaimed knight asks in a rough dialect while bowing and peeking at me from under his coal black fringe.

“The pleasure would be all mine,” I accept his offer with a coursey and let him take my hand as he straightens his back. He wears an extravagant-looking black-silver suit that matches his dark hair and mahogany eyes. The rest of his face is covered by a simple black mask but his smile is warm as he escorts me further into the room among the dancing couples.

“I am very pleased to finally meet you, Princess. Such a pity that our kingdoms are so far away,” the young man utters in a polite manner but I can’t help to feel a little uncomfortable not knowing who he is. My unease must be written all over my face because he quickly adds: “I’m Prince Jimin. From Busan, by the way.”

I could have guessed. It explains his strong accent.

“Ah,” I falter out with make-believe smile as I try to mask my disappointment because he’s not the one I’m searching for but I don’t give up. I still have more time until midnight so I have to bear with the diplomacy and boring politics for Yerin’s sake.

We start dancing to the soothing music played by the orchestra. Thanks to sword-wielding I have a good posture and balance but despite having taken dance classes, I’m nowhere near as graceful as Yerin. On the other hand, Jimin seems to be born to dance: his moves are smooth, his steps are light and he doesn’t even concentrate on the waltz but to keep our conversation going.

“Sorry. I don’t know what has gotten into me today. Usually I’m not this clumsy,” I apologize after I stepped on his foot again but the prince doesn’t seem angry at all. He simply laughs it off.

“It’s okay, Your Highness, it’s an honour to dance with you nonetheless.”

Somewhere between talking about the seaside palace they have (which he suggests I… or at least Yerin should visit soon) and discussing that dumpling entrée they serve here, another guest interrupts him:

“May I steal the lady?”

My eyes snap at the owner of this new silky voice that’s slightly deeper than Jimin’s. He’s standing tall wearing an elegant tuxedo with a grey vest and white shirt under it. His hair is dark brown with touches of black and it’s parted in the middle to complete the fine look. But what really takes it to another level is the sparkle in his eyes and his wide smile not hidden under his silver mask.

“Of course! I can’t say no to the birthday boy, can I?” My dance partner muses and his hands slide off of my waist as I properly look at the newcomer. So he’s Prince Hoseok, only son of House Jung. The one I should and plan to kill in only the matter of few hours. Poor him, he doesn’t even suspect that he just walked straight into a trap.

“It’s been a pleasure,” Jimin smiles at me which I reciprocate politely.

“Likewise.”

As I watch the Busan prince go, nervousness bubbles up in my insides again. I’m really not good at small talks and such things. I have no decent plan on how I should try to do this, I mostly just go with the flow.

“Princess Yerin,” the host bows courteously deep in front of me and so far I have no complaints about his manners.

“Prince Hoseok,” I curtsey and greet him while casting my eyes down.

A princess should be handled with care as delicately as a flower and as preciously as diamonds, Yerin told me when I whined about not liking to be treated like I was weak. This can be your biggest weapon, she added and acting all shy and vulnerable has already proved me that men instinctively want to seem like heroes by protecting the damsel in distress. Which I am not but they have no idea.

“Shall we?” the prince motions towards the dancing couples and I nod without hesitation. After all, this will be his last dance. Let’s get it started.

It’s more difficult with Hoseok because contrary to Jimin, now I have to focus on the task, trying to find a way to get him alone without seeming suspicious or an easy woman. I can’t let people talk about the Crown Princess that way.

“You are truly as pretty as they say: just like peach blossoms,” the prince exclaims suddenly with a loose smile as he puts one of his hands gently on my waist and guides me until I sway to the rhythm of the music properly. Even though I knew the compliment is meant to Yerin, I can’t help the blush creeping up on my neck. I’m not used to such nice words. People usually praise my skills and loyalty but not my looks.

“Thank you. You also look dashing,” I say bashfully and surprisingly honest. Nobody warned me the Prince would be so handsome. Even like this, with the mask half-covering his face.

“You don’t have to lie, Princess,” he shakes his head but his expression is still warm and caring. He treats me like someone who is trying to prove something and he needs to calm me down. But I'm not a kid.

“I don’t lie and it’s quite insulting that you think so lowly of me.”

Hoseok’s face falls at my cold answer but he quickly resumes:

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you. But I’m sure you understand my worries. Honesty is a rare virtue nowadays. I just want you to feel comfortable around me. Don’t feel pressured because I am the host or anything.”

Or by the fact that you would announce your engagement with Yerin at midnight?

“I will try,” I promise even though I know I am such a hypocrite getting offended because he thought my shared opinion wasn’t true when in reality, my identity is itself a lie .

“Sorry if I made it awkward. According to my sister, I tend to speak without thinking first and I should watch my mouth or otherwise one day I will ask about an official’s underpant’s colour,” Hoseok chatters and I can’t help the light chuckle that escapes my mouth at the thought of a face of said official. It would be an amusing sight for sure.

“Your sister sounds lovely and wise. I would be delighted to meet her one day,” I add politely as the smile’s faint trace still lingers on my face. Something flickers in my dance partner’s eyes I can’t quite decipher but they’re beaming again in no time.

“She would like you,” he says and we continue dancing in silence, waltzing around in ease. I find it amazing how simple it is once I allow my partner to lead me. Hoseok is gentle, easily spins me in his arms.

“My parents send their greetings,” I blurt out after a while because it’s been quiet for too long and I feel uncomfortable under the Prince’s intense, searching gaze. Plus, it’s something Yerin would say: the lovely but as we can see not-so-obedient daughter.

“I appreciate it greatly,” Hoseok smiles again. It’s addictive, radiant and content. He seems genuinely glad that I was the one who spoke up now. “Although I‘m more delighted to have you here. Finally.”

His confession takes me by surprise a bit. I can’t help but wonder whether he’s courting or just well-mannered. Honest or sneaky. But I let myself assume he didn’t make things up because he just said that he doesn’t like that.

“Me, too,” I nod deciding in favour of staying formal and polite. Just like Yerin would do.

The Prince’s smile shines brighter than all the crystals in the room.

“Then I hope you will enjoy your stay here,” he presses the word ‘stay’ and the subtle indication makes me choke on my saliva. I clear my throat covering up my coughs.

“You mean… after the engagement?” I blurt out and stop beating around bush. I have had enough of tiptoeing around the topic. I’m about to offer him a way out, a chance to save himself. “Well, about that...”

“You don’t seem too enthusiastic about it,” the Prince interrupts me apologetically and stops dancing abruptly that brings me to halt, too. His eyes mirror sadness and I couldn’t bring myself to offend him even more with the truth. He doesn’t have to know that Yerin loathes the thought of marrying him just because she’s madly in love with a servant boy. And that’s where I come into the picture: I should kill him to solve this problem.

“I... I don’t even know you,” I find an excuse quickly and that’s all it takes to wipe the frown off of Hoseok’s face.

“Then, get to know me. Come on, I will show you something you’ll like,” he offers with a wide, encouraging smile. He steps back a little and extends his sword-hand towards me with its palm up. I hesitate for a second while my gaze is drifting from his sincere eyes to his inviting hand. I have literally nothing to lose, so I nod and take his hand as he guides me outside of the huge ballroom. This could be probably my best shot to be alone with him after all.

“The other guests won’t be disappointed because of your absence?” I find myself asking as we sneak out to the gardens.

I’m so immersed into my beautiful surroundings -  all the exotic flora and the starry night - that I forget to hold up my skirt. The Crown Princess will scold me for sure for ruining her dress but I don’t really care. Despite my unpleasant task I’d like to enjoy the night to its fullest because who knows when I will get another chance like this? At every ball I’ve been before I was Her Highness’ best-trained guard because nobody thought a girl like me could snap their necks for any wrong move.

“Even if they are, it doesn’t bother me. You’re the most important guest for me,” Hoseok’s answer is a melody sung by the moonlight and his raspy voice outbellows the fading music’s sounds.

I cringe at the borderline flirty line. It looks like Gwanju’s Prince takes his responsibility to his country very seriously and intends to play along with the arranged marriage plans. In this case, option number one is out, hence he has to die. Even if he’s way too handsome to die so young. Such a pity, but life is harsh and nobody knows this better than me. Losing my mother at an early age, being the black sheep among the palace’s kids and treated like a boy most of the time taught me that life isn’t fair at all.

“Where are we going?” I ask a little bit suspiciously because the dark shadows of the castle provide an unfamiliar scene that’s obviously a disadvantage for me and my plans. The ridiculous thought crosses my mind that maybe the Prince already knows why I am here and wants to set up a trap. But just before I would take out my dagger under my dress, I can distinguish the smell of dung and straw in the air. Therefore, it’s not hard to locate the shed ahead of us.

“You’re still fond of horses?” Hoseok asks and I’m rendered speechless for a while. He actually remembered this tiny fact about Yerin. She has always loved these graceful animals.

“Yeah,” I nod and the next thing I know is that the Prince is introducing me to the members of the royal horse family. His words, not mine.

He’s like a proud father when he praises his favourite mare called Hope. Although I’m more fascinated by a beautiful black horse called Angel that reminds me of my own. Without me noticing, I’m getting side-tracked talking about animals and adventures while I pat the friendly creatures one by one. The birthday boy seems more than content that we found a common topic and his offer doesn’t take me by surprise.

“Let’s go for a ride.”

Even though my dress is definitely not made for this, I can’t help but agree. Hoseok helps me up when he sees my struggle because of the long skirt and uncomfortable shoes. And then we race along.

It’s an amazing, refreshing feeling. The wind keeps blowing my hair, messing it up but I don’t care. Laughter bubbles up from my throat without my consent and it feels wonderful because I have no idea when was the last time I felt so free. Even though I have no royal duties like the real princess does but I have to attend trainings, exercise a lot and still take useless classes like literature. Despite the Incheon palace being grandiose, I often feel locked up, prisoned even when I cannot decide for myself what to do and what not. I only follow orders and after twenty years of loyalty, the sudden snip of freedom makes me thirsty for more. I enjoy the ride but after some time the forest becomes darker, the moon shines brighter and we wander farther and farther away from the noises of the palace. When we reach a wide lake, Hoseok’s whistle stops the well-trained horses and I catch my breath.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” The Prince asks as we walk on the lakeshore and I marvel at the sight of the silver palace in the distance under the pale moon and starry sky.

“You have indeed a wonderful land, Your Highness,” I praise his kingdom but there’s no dishonestly in my words this time. Everything is so beautiful about our surroundings. The valley, the lake, the distant outline of the palace are all  breathtaking but I cannot deny that Hoseok’s smile illuminated by the moonlight is also quite charming.

“Thank you,” he looks at me fondly and I’m surprised he hasn’t asked me to remove our masks yet. He must really want me to feel comfortable enough with him.

“Here,” the prince passes me his water bottle that had been attached to his saddle when we return the horses. „Ladies first.”

I take it from him with a grateful smile and gulp down a few snips after sniffing the liquor carefully. Maybe it’s because I, myself can’t be trusted, I have the tendency to doubt others’ hidden intentions as well. I turn my back on Hoseok pretending to wipe the water off my chin while I quickly add the poison into the water when the prince isn’t looking. I almost feel bad for him but the order is as clear as the cloudless sky and I probably won’t have sleepless nights after this. I’ve seriously injured people who wanted to hurt Yerin before, too. It’s no exception that his aim is her heart. At least, that’s how I convince myself.

“Thank you,” I push the bottle back into Prince Hoseok’s hands but he gets so startled that he accidently drops it and the drink is spilled all over the ground splendidly ruining plan A.

“Oh my bad, I’m so clumsy,” he apologizes and picks up the almost empty bottle, hooking it onto the saddle back again.

Or rather lucky, I mutter to myself frustrated and curl my fingers into a fist.

“Shouldn’t we head back?” I blurt out almost pleading. I need a second chance to pierce my dagger through his heart and watching the moonlit lake doesn’t help at all. Especially because I begin to doubt my resolution more and more by each passing moment spent with him.

“Do you want to?” Hoseok tilts his head to the side watching me closely, his eyes filled with crystals of curiosity. I wonder what kind of answer he desires and what he expects me to say. It’s scary that how much I don’t want to disappoint him. It’s even more ridiculous how honest my answer is:

“No.”

“Then we don’t have to,” the prince concludes as if we could do anything we want without worrying about our responsibilities. It sounds nice, a life like that but it’s only an illusion. Thrilling but only temporary.

“You are different than I imagined,” I admit and there’s nothing calculated in my words. He is indeed different from what Yerin described. I expected an arrogant, moody and boring prince but so far Hoseok has been nothing but kind, considerate and well-mannered.

“So are you. You’ve changed,” he states and I panic for a moment. I told Yerin it’s a bad idea, I can’t act like her without getting caught.

“What do you mean?” I ask as my shoulders tense.

The Gwangju Prince smiles cheekily but he sounds serious when he replies. “I remember you being all whiny and bossy.”

“Hah, I am not whiny.” I protest on Yerin’s behalf right away. Although I can’t deny that she’s a little spoiled. “But could you really blame me? You pulled my hair and stole my favourite doll.”

I’m suddenly glad that Yerin told me about that incident because it makes my objection more realistic as if we were reviving our common history. Maybe that’s why Hoseok looks so amused.

“Is that so? What was it? I might still have it, so I could return to you.”

His sudden question takes me off guard but I don’t let my face fall and betray me.

“Uh… it had pink dress and blonde hair,” I make it up quickly because there’s no way he would remember such thing. Also, a doll like this is a typical gift for Incheon girls and I’m sure Yerin had hundreds of them, so it’s a reasonable guess.

The earlier unreadable expression is back on Hoseok: his eyes are twinkling, the corners of his mouth are curling up as if he won something. My heart starts to beat faster when he takes off his black mask, revealing his face. A part of me wishes he would have some ugly scar under but no, sadly, he’s painfully handsome. And when he speaks up, his voice is firm, lacking all that brightness that previously characterized him. It scares me.

“You’re not the princess.”

“How dare you...” accusing me with something like this? I object right away but the Prince interrupts me, dare I add, quite rudely.

“It was a horse-shaped wooden toy, not a doll,” he informs me matter-of-factly.

“I might have forgotten,” I raise my chin high, not backing out but my thoughts are running miles each passing second searching for a way out.

Usually I act before I think and I know that I should kill him before he calls the guards. Maybe I should hide his body in the woods. However, my loyalty to the Crown Princess and Incheon stops me. Everybody, several guards and guests including Prince Jimin, saw us leaving and it would be hard to make them believe that Hoseok ran away. Unless Yerin wants to do the same with Taehyung but she hasn’t said anything like that. That’s why poisoning would have been the perfect solution, it would have taken at least a few hours to have its effect. She could have escaped without suspicion while killing him now would probably put all the blame on the Princess and it would unleash a cruel war between the two kingdoms.

“I know you’re not her. You can stop lying,” Hoseok says coldly and my offended expression immediately changes.

“Why? So you can call the guards?” I raise an eyebrow with a quiz look but the Prince stays completely calm eyeing me curiously, waiting for my next move.

“I won’t call them.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m interested,” he explains simply, shrugging. “If you’re not Yerin, who are you and why are you here?”

The exact question I don’t want to answer and he must know it, too, since he figured the rest out. I take a step back turning away but the prince grabs my arm before I could flee.

“Let me go!” I hiss at him completely dropping the lovely princess facade.

“Woo, feisty,” he smirks and the smug smile spreads on his handsome features like flowers blossom.

He still doesn’t let go off my arm and something in me snaps. With practiced quick movement I pull out my dagger under my skirt where it was attached to my shin with a slim belt and press it against the prince’s tan throat. However, instead of shutting up, he mockingly laughs at me while he pulls his hand back.

“It’s not funny,” I snap at him irritated but his smile doesn’t falter.

“It is. I just asked your name and you pulled out a dagger,” he chuckles like it was the most amusing thing that happened to him in a while.

We stare at each other for a long time. His eyes are carefully trained on me as if I was a prideful kitten ready to scratch anyone who dares to touch me. The edge of my sharp dagger is digging into the soft flesh of his neck drawing tiny drops of blood. Even though my face is as cold as stone, I can see it in his fearless eyes that he knows I won’t kill him. He just knows and I hate that I tremble a little when the silence breaks.

“Your Highness!” the guards’ deep voice resonate through the air and I flinch at the approaching tramping sound.

My heart is pounding loudly in my ears and the betrayal hurts more than it should. Maybe it was a trap all along but no, I won’t let him get me. Just like Yerin said, I was the best and I wouldn’t want to disappoint her or bring shame to my country. They can’t catch me or otherwise they would figure out my connection to the Princess and every plan would go to hell.

“Don’t follow me!” I warn Hoseok even though I have nothing I could hold against him. I point my dagger straight at him ready to throw it and pin him to the nearest tree but he doesn’t move. He holds up his arms defensively and doesn’t even try to stop me while I hop on Angel.

The last thing I see before I dart into the depth of the forest is Hoseok’s sincere gaze and sad pout. I gallop through the woods straight to the abandoned inn we agreed to meet with the Crown Princess without looking back.

 

♪♫ I want you a lot, a lot, a lot

The Prince didn’t follow me, neither the guards that searched for him. Little did I know then that they didn’t need to because he already had my dagger that I accidentally dropped when I got on the horse. The dagger has my initials and family pendant decorating its handle. It’s too late when I realize this. I’m so screwed.

I tell Yerin I failed the mission big time and that they are probably searching for her impostor, so we quickly make up the story that she fell sick during the ride so that’s why she didn’t attend the ball and she doesn’t know anything about what happened there. I’m ready to face any negative consequences brought by my lack of professionalism and pathetic incompetence to kill the Prince. However, despite not being able to sleep a blink at all in fear of what’s going to come, the news delivered by the royal messenger are totally different from what I expected.

According to the news, His Highness, Prince Hoseok angered his parents by saying no to the engagement with Princess Yerin because he believes he found a mysterious lady more suitable to be his future wife on the night of the Masquerade. Furthermore, he intends to visit the nearby kingdoms in order to find the said bride that caught his eye. Luckily for him (and unfortunately for me), blonde hair is only common in the northern regions of the peninsula. Plus, I’m almost certain that he has already found out that I am close with the Incheon Princess. It wouldn’t take him long  to marche on our lands and knock on my door. I dread and fear the day when he comes because I highly doubt that the impression I had left on him would make him want to marry me. I’m sure this false marriage offer is just a trick to catch me. Yet, the gossips are impossible to stop now and some versions are beyond ridiculous.

“So stupid... I mean who would run away if the Prince of Gwangju wanted to kiss her?” I heard two of Yerin’s cousins talking one day while the maidens created folk stories about a siren that can only be on land until the clock ticks midnight. However, I know well that it’s a story with no happy ending.

Never have I thought I would be the protagonist of such gossips but luckily, nobody guessed it was me or had anything to do with it. Only Yerin and her horseboy know about my identity, so I’m safe in the palace until Hoseok finds me because I’m sure he will eventually. Till then I can never hear the end of the Princess’ teasing:

“I don’t know how you did it but you’re amazing. Making the Prince falling in love with you? It’s perfect! Why didn’t I think about it?”

My father has also sensed the change in my behaviour but only comments on me being more jumpy than before. True, I’m constantly on edge, ready to fight if they want to catch me. Still, I don’t expect anyone to disturb my peaceful archery practice.

“You should pull the string closer to your mouth,” the low voice corrects my position and deep in concentration I angle the string just like I’m told and fire without looking at the sudden intruder.

The arrow hits the middle circle of the target in one swish movement and a satisfied smile appears on my face. I wipe my sweaty hands onto my training clothes and turn towards the stranger to thank for the advice when I come across a familiar face. I can’t help but stumble backwards in shock. My hands tighten around the bow since it’s the only weapon I have with me but the visitor doesn’t seem harmful at all: he’s alone, his guards are at the entrance of the garden, and it looks like he doesn’t have any deadly weapon either beside that stupid smile on his face. He wears a dark uniform with his kingdom’s symbols all over it and his dark hair is a messy bunch but he still manages to look exceptionally good. It’s so unfair.

“You are prettier without your mask on,” he says it so casually I almost drop everything and run. How can he be so calm? Still, my momentary panic doesn’t stop the blush creeping onto my face. It’s kind of evil of him to compliment me at this time even though it doesn’t sound sarcastic at all. It shouldn’t mean anything but it warms my hearts that he thinks this way despite knowing that I’m not Yerin. In fact, I’m no princess at all.

“I thought you don’t like lies,” I clear my throat and press my lips in a firm line.

“Says the girl who impersonated a princess at my ball and tried to poison me,” Hoseok counters with a scoff, not fazed at all by my boldness. I gulp nervously but straighten my back because I won’t go down without a fight and if I do go down in the end, I will do it pridefully.

“Are you here to capture me?” I raise my chin high and despite acting nonchalantly, my heart is pounding loudly in my ears.

“After all the trouble I went through just to find you? No. I’m here to ask for your hand,” the Prince replies quickly and looks dead serious, his deep brown eyes piercing into mine so sincerely that I have to turn away. I busy myself with settling down the bow, so that I don’t look easy in front of him. I don’t want to boost his ego even more because he already knows that I have a weak spot for him.

“Are you crazy?” I force out a laugh, hoping that maybe he would join me in laughter. However, Hoseok only smiles, looking smug as if he expected me to say that. “I tried to kill you and you know that! Why would you want to marry me?”

“Would you rather be executed for your crime?” the Gwangju Prince sneakily avoids answering my question with throwing another one back at me. One that he knows I can’t say yes to. I’m not that eager to die to say that.

I’m already in age to marry anyway, it’s only the matter of time until my father offers my hand to one of his soldiers. Hypothetically thinking, a prince doesn’t sound so bad but to be realistic, it’s too good to be true.

“No but it’s insane. Where’s the catch?”

“There’s no catch,” Hoseok shakes his head relentlessly. “I never intended to marry Yerin. I was going to tell her this that night but you intrigued me so much I decided to play along with your act.”

“You knew all along?” my jaw drops in astonishment.

“Almost. You said you would be happy to get to know my sister. That was what gave you away because last summer she and Yerin went to the Princess’ praying together.”

“Oh...” I hang my head low. Such a pity that I failed my mission almost right away. Incheon must be ashamed of me. So much for being one of the best.

Hoseok takes a careful step closer that I see more than I hear it: his shoes appear in my range of vision but he moves so silently, with such grace and ease that it should be scary. Yet, it doesn’t come off threatening. Especially when he adds the next words in a playful manner:

“By the way, you’re a terrible dancer. We must work on that.”

“Gee, thanks,” I roll my eyes but I can’t deny that he successfully eased the tension a little. At least, enough for me to look up at him. He’s so close I can smell his musky scent faintly and it takes my breathe away. I have grown up amidst of soldiers and fighters yet I have never met anyone as fearless as him. It just doesn’t make sense. “Aren’t you afraid that I might finish the job and kill you in your sleep?”

“Oh so it was a job,” he chuckles gleefully and from the looks of it, he doesn’t even care that somebody wanted him dead so bad that they hired me to take his life. “In that case, death would be undoubtedly sweet. But you’ll be smitten before you could try. We both felt that spark and I plan on seriously courting you from now on. Shouldn’t you be concerned instead?”

“In your dreams,” I scoff at his over-confidence with narrowed eyes but I have to admit it’s impossible to stay mad at him for long. Why? Because he has freaking dimples and apparently he isn’t ashamed of using them against women. What’s more, he’s right: I did feel that electric spark between us. It would have been hard not to. I still feel the ghost of his fingers on my waist where he gently but tightly held me close while we danced.

“Oh I can assure you, you are in every single one of them,” he smirks and suddenly his voice drops very low and tempting. I shake my head trying to get rid of the scandalous thoughts it provokes.

“Anyway, don’t you need a princess?”

“For what? I’ve met enough and no offense, but most of them are boring,” he gives a hushed answer leaning a little closer and making sure nobody hears us. I’m torn between pushing him away and letting myself bath in his close presence. In the end, I take a step back and act as if I didn’t see his sad pout. “I won’t rule anyway. My sister and her husband will. I’m second in line only until they have an heir.”

Ah, I didn’t know that, so I certainly look just as baffled as I feel. I’ve had so many prejudices against him just because he’s a prince but so far he’s proved to be a down-to-earth and fun-loving guy who doesn’t care about titles. In a country where even the way they look at you depends on your social rank, it’s a fresh feeling, I feel like I can finally breathe beside him. Maybe that’s why I was reluctant to kill him in the first place: there’s was nothing evil about him contrary to how Yerin described him. He didn’t think so highly of himself like most of the princes I’ve met before and he treats me now the same way he treated me even when he thought I was the Crown Princess of Incheon. Nowadays, it’s hard to find as genuine people as him.

“You seem alright with that,” I blurt out dumbfounded because that’s another factor in which he’s different. The royalty around here would do anything to satisfy their thirst for power and the throne but he doesn’t look like it. To be honest, he looks more like the kind who enjoys collecting flowers in the meadow.

“I really am. The burden of the crown is not for me and luckily my parents also accept and support my decisions,” he nods with a happy little smile and then cheekily, eyes twinkling he adds: “For example, marrying the mysterious lady from the ball.”

I can’t help but snort. Is he for real? I’ve never thought he actually meant it.

“You don’t even know me.”

“Then give me a chance to get to know you,” he says gently as if he was asking for permission and his eyes, bright stars on the dark sky are trained on me, pleading.

The situation feels familiar; it reminds me of our conversation before riding those beautiful horses under the moonlight. He hasn’t pressured me into anything and he isn’t the kind who would force himself on me if I said a definite ‘no’. But do I really want to say no and put an end to his courting already? Or do I want to have a chance to decide whether to marry somebody or not? It’s a delirious feeling: to be in control of my own life; no ranks, no arranged marriages, just a boy asking for a chance. Who am I to deny him that when he offers me a whole new world of possibilities?

“Alright, you can give it a shot,” I shrug and Hoseok’s face immediately lights up. His eyes turn into crescents, little wrinkles of happiness and his dimples are showing. He is so caught up in his own happy little world, I’m almost sorry for breaking it down for him: “But you need my father’s blessing.”

“Of course, it goes without saying,” he nods eagerly, straightening his back, soothing down every possible crinkle in his uniform to make himself look even more presentable. Though, he’s already the most handsome prince even showing up in Incheon by my standards. “Who is your father? I shall ask for his audience.”

Even though it shouldn’t, it takes me by surprise that he doesn’t know that. Everyone around me treats me according to this fact: soldiers think I’m daddy’s little girl while the royalty looks down on me because of our lower status. I don’t know why but it makes me glad that he’s genuinely interested even if it’s because of some twisted reason.

“He’s Incheon’s commander-in-chief.”

Hoseok gulps, his eyes visibly bulging. “Isn’t his nickname Red Eye?”

“Yeah,” I hum while trying to suppress my amused smile. It’s funny to see him so flustered just because of my father’s reputation.

I have to admit, Father looks a little scary and he can be quite intimidating with his robust built and red scar across his left eye. Since he has planned on giving my hand to a worthy soldier, I’m sure he won’t be amazed by a nobleman who thinks sword-play is only a game.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. I only leave the two of them alone for an hour and they are best friends by the time I arrive back. Father likes the Prince’s humour and they already set up a date to go hunting together. My jaw drops when they invite me to join.

“She is exceptionally good,” my father praise me while he has his arm around Hoseok’s shoulder as if he was a son to him. I can’t believe my eyes.

“I can’t wait to see,” the Prince grins widely as I shake my head disapprovingly. Yet, deep down I’m also excited to see how things will turn out.


♪♫ Kiss me on the lips

Hoseok quickly becomes a constant guest at the palace. His sunshine-like cheerful personality brings colours to the snow white place. Even though I claim that he’s a pain in the because he keeps distracting me from my daily duties, his silly antics make me smile more than I used to. He always insists to accompany me to my archery practices, asks me to show him around the town or ride horses together alongside the seashore. He wants to teach me how to dance properly despite my protests and he tells me a new poem every other day. Sometimes he doesn’t come for days because of his responsibilities that bound him to his kingdom and once being away for more than a week, silly me starts to miss him. That’s when his letter arrives and I smile like an idiot reading his both cheeky and cheesy lines like Do you miss me like I miss you? I wish we could meet at least in our dreams.

“So... do you like him?” Yerin catches me off guard as she comes out of nowhere and plops down beside me on one of the benches in the garden. It’s ridiculous how supportive she is when it comes to my so-called relationship with the Gwangju Prince. “You must like him if you didn’t kill him that one time when he tickled you in middle of shooting,” she nudges my shoulder a little while I press the letter to my chest unconsciously. We are best friends but there are some things that I’d like to keep to myself. Just like she kept her relationship with Taehyung as a secret for so long.

“And look at that smile,” the Princess coos poking my cheeks and I roll my eyes but can’t find it in me to protest. Yerin just looks at me knowingly and asks me to braid her hair. At least, it distracts me from thinking about him too much.

Next time he visits, Hoseok makes an official apology to the King and Queen of Incheon. He tells them that even though he cannot control his heart, he’s willing to make any further diplomacy contract to keep the alliance between the two kingdoms. When he bows to the Princess, there’s something on her face that tells me she might take these words to her heart. After all, she can’t keep silent about Taehyung forever.

Maybe because it’s been awhile since we talked I feel bashful when it’s time to say goodbye. Hoseok kisses the back of my hand as always but there’s something in his eyes that I cannot decipher but it fills me with anticipation. I don’t have to wait long because as soon as I’m excused and step out of the throne room, I immediately bump into him and his wide smile that haunts me in my sweet dreams.

“Can I have the honour to accompany you to your practice?” he enquires eagerly and I nod quite shyly. He’s known my schedule by heart already but still waits for my permission every time. Just like he patiently waits for my yes or no like a gentleman and doesn’t try to rush me. But it’s been almost two months now and I know I have to give him an answer soon.

“You have improved a lot,” he praises me at the end of my short archery session and plays with the bows he just pulled out of the straw bale that serves as a makeshift target. “Do you want me to put an apple on my head and stand here?”

“Don’t joke around, it would be dangerous,” I scold him coldly and watch as his joyful expression fades into a serious one.

“It’s not a joke. I trust you,” he states so confidently that it shocks me and I stop in the middle of packing away. My hands freeze in mid-air and I turn to him curiously.

“How can you trust me knowing once I wanted to kill you?”

It’s a straightforward question, so raw and honest as like we were on that first day without our masks on. Since then we didn’t talk about the circumstances of our meeting, acting like it never happened but it never failed to amaze me that Hoseok didn’t even care about the fact that I almost poisoned him. However, because of the way he acted around the Princess I’m certain he figured everything out by now.

“My gut feeling is working quite well and I also have good reflexes, you know. You couldn’t have killed me even if you really wanted, darling,” he provokes me with a wink but his words sound earnest, lacking the common playfulness in his behaviour. I’m not the kind to back out of such an obvious challenge if I ever hear one.

I know it’s a long shot but I only want to test him, so I punch him anyway. At least, I try to but he’s quick to grab my wrist and turn it behind my back while he pulls me close. I can feel every breath he takes as his chest is pressed against my back and his lips brush slightly the shell of my ear as he speaks:

“Gotcha.”

His deep voice radiating through my body and I feel warm all of a sudden. It’s odd to have him so close to me and it makes me feel things I cannot name. It’s odd but it also feels nice and I wouldn’t be against staying in his hold for a long time. But Hoseok immediately lets me go at the first signs of my discomfort murmuring a faint sorry.

“I wasn’t brought up to be a good housewife,” I blurt out suddenly, turning on my heels to be face-to-face with him. With his ever so handsome face that hurts my heart in a good way. If that’s even possible. “I have no mother who could have taught me how to cook, I bathed in mud instead of playing with dolls, on my good days I can hit a squirrel from a mile but I can’t knit to save a life,” I confess suddenly feeling self-conscious about lacking these ladylike manners.

It doesn’t help that I often hear Yerin’s relatives and the royal attendance whisper behind my back about not understanding what a prince can see in me because I’m too boyish. I get their point but it still hurts my pride. Yet, Hoseok doesn’t seem bothered by the confused questions, nor he’s interested in the princesses lining up to him.

“I don’t care. I like you,” the Prince confesses frankly, not trying to hide anything. It makes me feel those stupid butterflies in my stomach that I overheard a few maids talking about when I was younger. So this is how it feels to be in love? “I like that you don’t humble yourself before me just because I’m a prince. I like how strong and independent you are. I love that you blush whenever I tell you you’re beautiful.”

Because I’m nothing special, I want to scream but I know that he’s so stubborn I could never convince him. Instead, I look him straight in the eyes, trying hard not to blush this time. I clear my throat. “Remember this because you have to take responsibility.”

“For what?” his eyebrows knit in confusion and I feel heat creeping up my neck as I reply:

“For making me fall for you.”

The shift in Hoseok’s expression is like watching the sunset turning from dark violet hues into bright orange ones. He takes a step closer, towering over me and looking at me oh so fondly. His eyes are full of stars as he gently caresses my face, my cheek with his thumb.

“So is this a yes?” he asks, bright brown eyes mirroring hope and caring.

I smile softly and don’t hesitate at all. “Yes.”

And there, on the sandy archery field, the least romantic place ever, he pulls me into a sweet kiss and I feel like we could get our own happily ever after, too.

 

cin2.png cin3.jpg