THE CURSE BLADE

PRIESTESS OF THE GODS

07

 THE CURSE BLADE

 

FLASHBACK

Top left quickly after asking an old man he passed by in the alley about the Herbal Doctor. Just what they planned, he went out to gather some information about the latter. So far, everything he gathered were amusing. Clearly, the infamous healer was well-known by the villagers.

 

When he mentioned her name to the people he asked, they all have a lot to say. They all praises her kindness and excellent healing skills. Indeed, she helped the town and practically became their savior. He can see how grateful they were to her based on their stories.

 

And if he would admit, he was quite impress too.

 

"Hyung!"

 

Top halted his steps when he heard his name. When he turned to look, he saw Taeyang approaching him.

 

"Hey, T. What's up?" he greeted. "Any lead yet?" he asked for he knows that the latter had the same purpose as he did.

 

Taeyang heaves an audible sigh and shakes his head. He looks frustrated which only meant one thing. He got a negative result. Such tough luck.

 

"Guess, we have been tested by fate," Top remarked, sighing too.

 

"Why? You got no news yet?" Taeyang quired, furrowing his brows together.

 

"I actually got some information but I still be needing more before I take my action. Almost everyone in this village knew her. It's not really hard to ask about her," he informed him with the progress of his investigation.

 

"That's good, hyung! They didn't actually get suspicious when you inquiried, did they?"

 

"I don't think so. Besides, I used some lies and they believe it anyway."

 

The two of them decided to walk together as they continued on there discussion. In the middle of there conversation, they suddenly became aware of the surrounding as they felt something different. Top shared a look with Taeyang as if they were sending a silent signal to each other.

 

Their senses became hyper aware and active as they inconspicously observed around the vicinity. A snicker had them jerk in alarm as they prepared themeselves in fighting instance.

 

The air grew thick as the tension begins to build up. The wind blows as nerve-wrecking silence covered them while they wait for the attacker to come out. Their eyes turn to slits when they heard a crash on the dark alley. They both eyed the alley with anticipation.

 

Their weapons draw out right away as soon as they felt paces coming. Top unsheaths his double blade sword while Taeyang releases his tiny stick which transformed into a silver spear.

 

Suddenly, a stray dog jumped out in the darkness that startled both of them. They breathes out in relief and held back their weapons. They almost killed an innocent animal.

 

"That was close!" Taeyang exclaimed.

 

"Yeah. ! I thought we will get into fight. That stray dog got us!" Top remarks, sheathing back his sword.

 

"But, what was that earlier? You did feel that unusual aura, right?" Taeyang wonders.

 

"I—"

 

Everything he was about to say was cut off when he felt a searing pain across his abdomen. He quickly dropped on his knees and clutched his stomach. His mouth parted along his widening eyes when he felt the ache.

 

"Top hyung?!" Taeyang cried out and quickly crouch down, leveling his shock gaze.

 

Top coughs and spits out blood.

 

Taeyang widens his eyes and started panicking. His gaze darted around, not knowing what to do. He tried to look for the attacker but he sees none. When he lowered his eyes at Top, he was shock to see a red blood shot staining his abdomen, soaking his cloak. The latter whimpered in so much pain and almost lost consciousness. His face is getting pale and his mouth dried up. Top's breathing becomes labored as well.

 

As Taeyang aided on him, he was beyond surprise seeing a protuding dagger on his stomach which was left by the unknown assiliant. It was preventing his blood to splurted out more profusely.

 

"! Hang on, Top hyung!" Taeyang exclaimed and turned his body to check on his damage. He slowly removes the dagger in his stomach, causing more bleeding but he was quick enough to tie his wound in a using  his torn hem.

 

Top coughs more blood and holds on Taeyang tightly. He can feel his energy draining as his body weakens. He was caught off guard so was Taeyang. Unfortunately, none of them had able to see the culprit who attacked him. Top's barely holding on his strength but he has to survive. No. He can't die without finding the priestesses yet. Not without them performing the ritual and salvage the world from the awaiting pandemonium.

 

"We need to return in our loft and attend to your wound, hyung. Can you move? I will usher you," Taeyang said and tried to help him stand.

 

Top struggled but he forced himself for he doesn't want to burden Taeyang even more. He doesn't want to succumb to his failing state. He will not die just like that.

 

Making their way home is really a difficult job since Taeyang took all his weight as he was leaning on him for support. As much as he doen't want to make it harder for his companion, Top is getting weaker by the minute. He felt his body giving up. Nevertheless, Taeyang continued to held him up firmly, clearly wanting him to get home fast so he could get better.

 

Top was angry at himself for being careless. The attacker took advantage of his divided attention. He was so mad for letting the bastard get the chance to get on his plan. But self-blaming himself won't get him nowhere. It was too late for that.

 

When a pang of pain hits him, Top hissed and clutched his wound even tighter. He felt nausea hitting him as block spots blinding his sight. He couldn't even make out of his surroundings. ! He is getting worst!

 

"Don't you dare faint on me, hyung. Don't close your eyes. Keep it open!" Taeyang exclaimed through gritted teeth as he  struggled on his weight.

 

Top tried to do what he said but his eyes are shutting close on their own accord. It's hard to keep awake. And very slowly, his eyes were getting heavy as time passes by. He blinks to stay open but failed miserably.

 

"I...can't..." he muttered as he trails off when consciousness finally left him.

 

Next thing he knew, darkness shrouded his vision and it's out for Top.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

Top turns his head hysterically on the pillow while he lays unconscious on the bunk bed the girls provided for him. He is clutching the blanket too tightly as if he was holding it for dear life. His knuckles are getting white because of the tight grip. Body shaking badly, cold sweats formed his forehead and neck, Top was burning with fever as his power felt like decreasing.

 

"What's happening to him?!"

 

There's a panicking voice and some shuffling. His hot body was held by another soft and warm as if checking his vitals. Then someone speaks up.

 

"He is having a seizure. Quick! Hold him still," the Herbal Doctor cried out and turned to the rest of the occupants of the room. "Faster!"

 

Top groans in pain, almost screaming. Grunts and whimpers filled the room all came from him. He is clearly having a hard time fighting an inner struggle.

 

A couple of hands gripped him on his wrists and ankles just to keep him still because his body is shaking severely.

 

"What are we going to do?" Taeyang asked while holding Top down on his wrist.

 

"I need you to restrain him first. I have to use some needles to help him feel numb and lessen the pain since I'm still working on the vile," Bom told him while she prepares her needles.

 

"Alright. I'll hold him and do what you have to do," he said and tightens his grip on Top.

 

Bom quickly worked on her needles and held it up towards Top's veins in his wrist. She gave her a temporary drug to make him feel numb of the pain. But it won't last long do she really need to finish the vile that will completely helped him out of his sufferings before it's too late.

 

His shaking body went still on it's own so Taeyang slowly releases his tight grip on him, seeing as his body went limp on the mattress. His breathing became stabled too as his cries of agony subsided.

 

As soon as he finally calmed down, Bom checked on his temperature by putting her palm on his forehead. He is still sporting a high fever. She put a wet towel on his forehead to help his fever goes down. While doing so, she also wiped the dampness on his neck and long, sturdy arms.

 

"How is he?" Taeyang asked anxiously when she stood up after finishing her work.

 

"I can't answer that yet, Taeyang-ssi. All I can say is he needs the vile as soon as possible. He is getting worst," she answered somberly.

 

Just in time, Dara went in and informed Bom that everything is now ready.

 

"Alright. Thank you, Dara-ah," she said and made her way towards the door. "I'll be just outside. Call me if something happens."

 

"Don't worry, Bom. I'll stay so Taeyang-ssi has someone to accompany him," Dara offered so kindly.

 

"Thank you," Taeyang said when Bom left the room.

 

Dara smiled and just nodded.

 

"You should rest too, Taeyang-ssi. You been awake since last night. Don't worry about Top-ssi. I'll watch over him. And if something comes up, I'll you wake up immediately," Dara said, offering the lad the extra bed in the room.

 

"But—"

 

"No buts, Taeyang-ssi. Go and have some sleep. I swear to wake you up once something happened. Okay?" she insisted.

 

Taeyang looked hesitant but nodded anyway. He occupied the bed in the corner and made himself comfortable. Dara smiled and took the chair beside Top when the door opened, revealing Jiyong and Seungri.

 

Dara stands up and got surprise. Her heart pounded nervously as she fidgeted on the hem of her sleeves. She averted her gaze to avoid making eye contact as she awkwardly stood there.

 

"Dara noona!" Seungri greeted her and just returned it with a small smile. "How's Top hyung?" he asked, pacing near Top's bed.

 

She cleared before responding. She's so tense. Wait?! How did he knew her name?

 

"You're early," she remarked. "Anyway, Bom said that he is getting worst and just earlier he had a seizure. But Bommie gave him some pain reliever."

 

"Poor Top hyung," Seungri sighs while shaking his head somberly.

 

"Where is Taeyang?" Jiyong asked, joining them.

 

Dara can't help but turned to him. He blushed when their eyes met. She lowered her gaze because she couldn't take his penetrating stare.

 

"I let him rest since he's been sleepless, watching over at Top-ssi. He is sleeping right there," she answered.

 

"Oh? That's so nice of you, Dara noona," Seungri chirped.

 

Dara redden. "I-It's nothing."

 

"No. It's not nothing. We owe you a lot for helping Top hyung. We are practically strangers but you and your sisters welcomed us in your home wholeheartedly. We can't thank you enough," Jiyong countered seriously.

 

Dara turned to him. "You needed help and Top-ssi looked really in trouble. We can't let him die, right? Besides, you needed help. We can't just ignore you."

 

"That's why we are  very grateful. We were lost on what to do with Top hyung if it wasn't for you and your sister." Jiyong somberly gazed at Top.

 

"Everything will be fine soon. Bom is doing her best to create the vile to help Top-ssi. Have some faith to her," Dara said, reaching out her heart when she saw his somber look.

 

Jiyong smiled at her and her heart made a leap. Oh goodness! The things he do on her heart.

 

"Aherm!" Seungri faked a cough exaggeratedly, earning both their attention. The maknae grinned. "Apology for my interruption. We haven't properly introduced yet but Bom noona told us your name already. I am Seungri, by the way. We already seen each other. Do you remember?" Seungri pouted. "Why did you runaway before noona? Are you scared of us?"

 

Dara stiffened as she got flustered. They recognized her! Oh my God! That's so embarassing!

 

"I-I..." she nervously stuttered.

 

"Why did you run when you approach us in the market?" Seungri asked again and feigned a hurt look.

 

Jiyong snickered to the maknae's failed attempt aegyo. And he can't help to be amused by Dara's flushing demeanor. She looks uncomfortable. What a beautiful sight...

 

"Yah! Stop it Seungri. You look disgusting." Jiyong smacked the back of the latter's head especially seeing Dara's discomfort.

 

Seungri whimpered, caressing his head. "Wah! Hyung, why do you have to hit me so hard?"

 

"Serves you right," Jiyong smirked and introduced himself. "I'm Jiyong, by the way, Mi'lady."

 

Seungri acted like a kid and showed his tongue at Jiyong, pissing his hyung. He grinned mischievously when Jiyong glared at him and about to hit him  once more. He run towards Dara and hid behind her, touching her shoulders.

 

"Come and get me, hyung!" the latter said playfully.

 

Dara was startled with Seungri's sudden action.

 

"Yah! What are you doing Seungri? Don't touch her!" Jiyong exclaimed and grabbed Dara's hand to pull her away from Seungri.

 

If Dara was startled by Seungri, she was beyond shock  by Jiyong's move. They were so close. She could feel his warmth and sturdy chest through his cloak. When she looked up, their gaze met as they both felt a tingling sensation and a spark between their touching hand. Both of them wondered and shared a confuse look.

 

What was that?

 

"Dara unnie!"

 

Chaerin's voice cut their moment as the younger lass entered the room. Dara quickly stepped away from Jiyong while the latter releases her awkwardly. She was blushing profusely and can't even make an eye contact at any of them.

 

Add to the tension, Chaerin and Seungri scowled at each other while sending one another such strong dislike glare. The two of them still cannot move on with what happened in the tailoring shop.

 

Chaerin rolled her eyes heavenly at Seungri before she turned to Dara. "Dara unnie, Minji and I will leave now. We'll try to get off from work early so we can help you and Bom unnie."

 

"Oh...okay. T-Take care," she said.

 

Chaerin narrowed her eyes when she noticed her flushed face. She raised a brow and quired, "What happened to your face, unnie? You're so red."

 

Dara looked away embarrassed. On the other hand, Jiyong chuckled inwardly and bit his bottom lip to keep his smile. He found it amusing, seeing as Dara blushing and awkward.

 

"Aish! Go away, Chaerin," Dara hissed while pushing her sister out. The latter only chuckled at her while letting herself being pushed out of the room. Ah, it's felt good to Dara unnie.

 

Dara turned to them and bowed apologetically. "I'm sorry. Please don't mind Chaerin."

 

"Why are you apologizing? There's nothing to be sorry about," Jiyong said and prompt her from bowing to them.

 

"Huh? Ah, I guess, you're right. It's just embarrassing and inappropriate," Dara shyly squeaks and fidgets with her fingers.

 

"Maybe, you're just tired. Why don't you take a rest too? We can take it from here. I know, you didn't get enough sleep since we brought Top hyung," Jiyong offered worriedly.

 

"It's okay."

 

"I insist."

 

"Jiyong hyung is right, noona. We're here anyway," Seungri chirped in.

 

Dara hesitates and darted her eye between the two lad.

 

"Dara..." Jiyong called her name softly. He nodded to her. "We can handle right here."

 

"Fine. J-Just inform us if you need anything, alright?" Dara said and agreed anyway.

 

Jiyong smiles warmly at her. She looked away and her heels to leave. But she didn't missed out Jiyong's soft voice.

 

"Rest well, Dara..."

 

********************

 

As soon as Dara left the room, she held her pounding chest and bit her lower lip to stop herself from squealing. Jiyong's voice sounds so sweet and very gentle. And when he uttered her name, Gods! She could bargain the world just to hear it every day. The way he says her name is very different from others. It brought some weird feelings to her especially on her heart.

 

Dara can't help but to feel giddy.

 

She decided to check on Bom first. So she went towards the backyard where the latter is working. Bom is concentrating in making the vile for Top that she didn't notice her entering the room.

 

"Bommie," she called out her name to get her attention. She didn't failed as Bom turned to her. "Do you need help?"

 

"Oh hey, what are you doing here? I thought you were watching over Top-ssi?" Bom asked while preparing some leaves inside the mortar and gets the pestle to ground the shrubs.

 

"Jiyong-ssi and Seungri arrived and told me they will take over," she informed her sister.

 

"I see," Bom hummed while nodding her head. "Dara-ah, those guys..."

 

Dara gazed at Bom with a frown as the latter trailed off. She wasn't looking at her though and absentmindedly swirling the pestle in the mortar. She seems fell in some kind of reverie.

 

"What about them?" Dara asked.

 

"Can't you feel it? They are not ordinary men. I am not sure though whether it's bad or good," Bom continued.

 

"What do you mean?" Dara straightens and looked warily at her sister.

 

"I can't explain it, Dara-ah. I just felt a strong force coming from them. It's really complicated. Have you not wonder why Top-ssi got stabbed by a curse blade? As far as I know, none of the villagers use that kind of blade. They said they were rovers and looking for some people. Aren't you mystified by that? Is it merely coincidence that we met them at this time?"

 

Bom met her eyes sternly. She's not being doubtful but instead curious. The latter seemed worried and confused at the same time. Dara heaves a sigh and turned to her seriously.

 

"Have you told anyone about this?" she mused.

 

Bom shakes her head. "Only you but I asked Taeyang-ssi about it."

 

Her frown got deeper. "Really? What did he say?"

 

"Of course, he said nothing but assured me that they were harmless."

 

"So you think they are keeping something from us? Is that what this is all about?"

 

"I don't know. But I know there is something they were not saying or afraid to ask."

 

"That is twisted, Bom. You're confusing me, " Dara groaned.

 

"So am I, Dara. So am I..."

 

They fell into silent, both contemplating with the topic. Dara doesn't know what to think and what to believe. What they are going to do if it's true? Were the boys really hiding something from them? What about her growing feelings towards Jiyong?

 

It doesn't make sense.

 

"What do you plan to do if ever?" she asked quietly.

 

"What else is there to do? We cannot do anything about it but to observe. They seemed nice but I don't want us to take chances. For now, we'll going for help them save Top-ssi. We'll just cross the bridge when we get there," Bom said.

 

"What about Chaerin and Minji? Are we going to tell them?"

 

"Yes. They need to know and be aware of what is happening. Remember our situation right now? This is a crucial time for all of us."

 

"Are we being suspicious, Bom?"

 

Bom sighs. "I don't want to especially that I gave my word on Taeyang-ssi. I said I trust him. However, my priority is our safety. We're not doing anything yet since nothing bad is happening. This is just for precautions, Dara. After all, we just met them. We don't know them at all. They are still strangers."

 

Dara fell silent and pondered over Bom's statement. She's completely right. They cannot go around and trust people easily. They need to be vigilant at all times. They've only known the boys for a short while. They doesn't know if they have good intentions.

 

But Jiyong saved me once... A voice inside her head protested. Dara shook her head to kill that thought. She has to concentrate on the matter at hand. She can't be distracted by her emotions.

 

"Just be careful, Dara," Bom clarified. "That's all I'm asking."

 

"I know and will do, Bom." Dara nodded.

 

"Thank you, Dara-ah. Go on and take your rest. I'll just finished this up."

 

"Okay. Call me if you need some help."

 

"Sure."

 

Dara left Bom alone and  went to her room. She lied on her bed while staring at the ceiling. Her mind wondered off.

 

"I must do what I have to do," she sighs, talking to herself.

 

Slowly, her eyes got heavier as sleep takes over her entirety. She succumbs to slumber as soon as her eyes shut close due to exhaustion and lack of sleep. She was bothered and just decided to set aside those thoughts to get her much needed sleep.

 

 

Yet, in her dreams, Dara found herself in a middle of tormenting death scene.