THE GREEDY MECHANT

PRIESTESS OF THE GODS

05

 THE GREEDY MECHANT

 

The door of their house was abruptly opened by Seungri who is fuming in rage. Jiyong just followed behind the maknae who stomps his way to his room. He sighed and softly closed the door behind him. They flinched as Seungri slammed his door shut.

 

Top and Taeyang looked at him inquisitively.

 

“Did something happen?” Top asked which he just answered with a sighed as he joined the two.

 

“What happened to Seungri? He looks mad,” Taeyang noticed.

 

“Cloak,” he simply responded.

 

The two nodded in understanding as if they had a pretty idea of what had happened. Well, he can’t blame Seungri, can he? If he is in his place, he would have reacted that way as well. Seungri’s cloak was the most important thing to him. So he could perfectly understand him.

 

“Do you have any news?” he asked.

 

“I went back to where we saw the girl but I didn’t catch up to her,” Taeyang said massaging his temple frustratingly. Jiyong nodded in deep thought. “I will go back there again tomorrow and asked the villagers if they knew her. I just hope someone will know her,” he added.

 

“How about you, Top hyung?”

 

“I went back to the clinic but she’s not there anymore. I asked around found out that she’s not really a regular doctor assigned to the clinic. She is just a kind woman who lends her hand to the medics. The villagers came to her house for consultation,” he answered.

 

“Did you get to know where she lived?”

 

“That’s the problem. The nurses I asked didn’t know.”

 

“It’s fine. At least, we got some lead to your priestess.”

 

“I’ll go back there. Hopefully, the villagers would tell me where she lived,” Top said.

 

Jiyong and Taeyang nodded.

 

“We only have two maidens to find then? If our hunch is right, that is,” Taeyang sighed.

 

“Yeah. Don’t worry. Seungri and I are working on it,” he promised.

 

********************

 

Dara wakes up early and found Bom preparing their breakfast. The latter was relieved on going to the local clinic after providing them her herbal medicine and some instructions. She still felt bad about the whole thing she blurted out the night they talked.

 

She doesn’t actually mean everything she said. As the eldest with Bom, they are the one who should take care of the two youngest one. The two of them promised to their Lady Hye Sun that they will stick together and never fight. But that night, she didn’t know what gotten into her to say those things.

 

With a heavy sigh, she walks up to Bom to apologize and make up. She knew all of them are equally exhausted and frustrated that night.

 

“Bom,” she called her name from behind.

 

The latter turns around and looked at her. They both weigh each other’s mood until she surrendered and speaks up first.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean everything I said,” she bowed at her sincerely as she twiddled her fingers nervously.

 

Bom smiled at her. She steps toward her and gives her a bear hug.

 

“It’s alright, Santokki. I’m sorry too. And you’re right. Everything you said was right after all. I was just so stubborn to admit it. I keep on denying that fact,” she said.

 

They break off from their embrace and looked at each other. Just like that, they knew all is well between them.

 

“I still shouldn’t drop everything just like that. I think I frightened Chaerin and Minji,” she confessed sadly. Bom shook his head.

 

“No. It’s about time they need to be aware about it. We should prepare ourselves. I can feel that the time is about to come.”

 

“You think so?”

 

“Yes. Let’s discuss it with them. I guess, it’s for the better,” Bom decided.

 

Dara quietly nodded in agreement.

 

They settle on their seat waiting for Chaerin and Minji to wake up. They talked about the situation in the hospital briefly. After a while, the maknaes joined them. As expected, silence covered them.

 

Dara cleared to catch their attention. Bom and she make a knowing look. The latter nodded and signaled her to go on.

 

“Chaerin, Minji…um…I apologize about…you know?” she struggles on speaking feeling ashamed of her actions. “I guess, I was sorry if I scared you two somehow?”

 

The maknaes looked at each other and eventually a smile form their lips.

 

“It’s okay, unnie. We understand,” Minji said.

 

“Besides, I think it’s inevitable. Some way or another, we have to talk about this issue,” Chaerin added.

 

Dara nodded smiling curtly at the two.

 

“That’s what we also talked about,” Bom said. “It’s about time to face our fate,” she asked knowingly.

 

********************

~ FLASHBACK ~

The day Lady Hye Sun died, the four maidens gathered beside the weak old lady. The person who raised them and took care of them for so many years is about to leave them. And it’s for good.

 

All of them were crying while holding both of their hands. They saw the dying lady smiled.

 

“My maidens… d-don’t,” she swallowed with difficulty as she continued. “c-ry.”

 


“Hye Sun-ie,” Dara broke into heavy sobs.

 

“Sandara…Bommie… t-take care,” she breathes unevenly. “of Chaerin and Minji. Stay t-together always, a-arasso?” she said.

 

The two elder maidens reluctantly nod as they cried harder.

 

“I want to h-hear… you’re p-promise,” he said.

 

“We…We promised,” they both said.

 

“Chaerinnie, Minji-ah…always…a-always l-listen to your u-unnies,” she turns to younger ones.

 

The two wails like a child as they bobbed their head. They are having a hard time accepting what is bound to happen to their lady.

 

“A-Answer me, my ladies,” she cooed.

 

“But…” they tried to protest but in the end complied and nodded after feeling the old lady’s gently gripped their hands.

 

Hye Sun smiled but coughed severely. She could feel her breathing getting slow by the minute. Though, she will die peacefully knowing that she had fulfilled her mission to life. She knew the girls will stand their own and face their destiny. She had done everything they needed to know.

 

“Listen, my maidens…I need to tell you something…” she breathes trying to get it even. She had to tell them everything now before it’s too late. “You…girls… hold an exceptional strong powers. At the right t-time, that power will unleash. You have to face your fate once it is awaken. By that time, y-you will able to k-know your real i-identities. You are special. Remember that. I took c-care of you for a reason. It’s my mission t-to guide you all four. Be careful…always. It was a pleasure to serve mi’ladies,” for the last time, Hye Sun smiled.

 

The four maidens look at her in mixture of shocked and sadness. They can’t believe what they are hearing. The sudden confession confused them.

 

“Hye Sun…” Dara mumbled in wide eyes and tears flowing freely on her cheeks.

 

“What are you saying?” Bom sniffed.

 

Hye Sun smiled.

 

“Soon, my dear. You will understand soon,” she answered slowly closing her eyes. Her breathing becomes labored.

 

The four panicked.

 

“Hye Sun!”

 

The old lady managed to smile at them as life passed by them.

 

That fateful night the four maidens cried their hearts out mourning for their lost. The sky seemed sympathizing with them as heavy rains poured so suddenly drowning the night off bringing a gloomy ambiance. From that day forward, the four maidens will live their life without the person they valued the most.

 

“Rest in peace, Lady Hye Sun,” they silently prayed.

~ END OF FLASHBACK ~

 

“I have a strong feeling that this coming festival, the powers that Hye Sun-ie said will be awaken. The right time is coming,” Dara stated seriously.

 

“I agree,” Chaerin muttered softly.

 

“Our birthmarks are starting to show off. You can feel the power it possessed already. It feels warm and strange,” Bom said tracing her dark birthmark at the back of her right palm.

 

The other three did the same. Minji looked down at her ankle where her birthmark was located. It was a silhouette of seemingly a bird on side view. Chaerin’s nevus on her clavicle is a prominent head of a roaring tiger. Bom’s mark seemed a two head creature only the one is narrower and looks like a snake swathed around the other head’s wider body. While Dara’s birthmark on her left wrist forms a scaled dragon in a loop.

 

“Do you hear it?” Chaerin suddenly caught their attention. The three turns to her also shocked. “So I’m not the only one who heard a deep roar? I’m not imagining things.”

 

“No you’re not. I heard an ominous howling sound of the bird,” Minji muttered in lost.

 

“How about you?” Chaerin asked.

 

“Ditto,” Dara answered.

 

“I am too. Only that I heard two weird sounds as if calling me,” Bom chirped confused.

 

“Do you think it meant something?” Chaerin asked.

 

“I guess, I think everything has a link. The festival is coming as the signs are getting clearer,” Dara answered.

 

“The festival is our key. The answer to all of this,” they concluded.

 

********************

 

After the early morning talk, the four girls continued their routine. Dara becomes busy as soon as she starts her day at the market. All her worries about the talk they had earlier were set aside for a while. Her goal for now is to earn more bronze.

 

That’s why everyone called her the Greedy Merchant for she knows how to make money. Her eyes twinkles just the mere sight and sound of bronze. She sells her products at good cost and knows how to handle money well. Nobody can outdo her when it comes to coins and bronze.

 

She’s good at convincing people and negotiating. She has full of confidence and a brave fool a well. That’s Dara.

 

“Ah this is heaven!” she said as she kissed a bag of bronze once the good customer left after buying some tea she sells.

 

Her eyes sparkled as her grins wider. She whipped her head to her right when she heard Hanbyul soft giggles. She winked at her smugly. Hanbyul can only shakes her head in amusement.

 

The day went on. Dara’s smiled cannot be faltered as she sold almost all of her items for the day. She’s so happy and she’ll be able to go home early.

 

However, her smile vanished when her eyes caught someone familiar not far away. She narrowed her eyes and turns to slit on the man that she thought would never see.

 

“What is he doing here?” she whispered.

 

The guy was not alone though. He is with someone new, not the Mohawk guy he’s with the other time.

 

Dara looked at him for the first time. Well, he is good looking in a cute way. And even in thick royal blue cloak, she can see how lean he is and a bit on skinny side. The lace blue band on both his wrist are peeking on his sleeves. She noticed by the way he walks is very regal and held grace. There is a strong imposing aura around him. He is confident just by one look.

 

Dara grimaced at that thought. She really doesn’t like being stomped by a guy. She waited for them and composed herself. She put her arms across her chest and smugly with her head held high and chest out.  However, the two men just passed by her without even giving her a glance, especially him. The two seemed in heated discussion by the way he scowls at his companion who is whining like a kid.

 

“You’re so annoying, Seungri. Will you shut up? Even for just a minute, please,” she heard him say.

 

“But Jiyong hyung! Can I just go home? I don’t feel going out. Every time I’m here I just remembered that…that cat who ruined my cloak!” the young man whined.

 

So Jiyong is his name? She thought. It was short but unique. Really suits him well. He seems had a unique and cool character.

 

“Shut up, punk. We have a mission to do,” Jiyong growls with deepened frown.

 

Dara drops her hands down and curls her fists. How dare he ignore her?!

 

“Ha! The nerve of this guy!” she said through gritted her teeth. She doesn’t know why she’s irritated as well. Like, what gives right? He ignored her, big deal?

 

He may not remember you?  A voice in her head reasoned out.

 

Somehow that thought calms her down. But a different feeling shrouds her. Somehow she felt hurt. She felt down at the thought of him forgetting about her. When here she was, remembering him completely.

 

Dara shakes her head to erase the thought. She did not like the way her mind is going.

 

“What is funny?” she frowns upon hearing Hanbyul’s chuckles.

 

“I can’t believe I’m witnessing this day. Ah! I must live my life good and long,” she said instead.

 

“Huh? What are you on now?” she frowned not picking up with what her friend is implying.

 

“You. You like him, don’t you?” she teased making Dara widen her eyes and coughed violently.

 

“Who?” she feigned innocence.

 

“That guy. The one who helped us with the bandits. The man who just passed by without glancing at you,” she chortled.

 

“What? Of course not!” she denied vehemently.

 

“Ows? Really?” the latter teased more.

 

"Of course! How can I like someone who is a stranger to me in the first place?”

 

“Well, that stranger is your savior, remember? And, the way you reacted is quite unusual when you saw him. Then, you looked disappointed when he ignored you,” Hanbyul pointed out.

 

She felt her cheeks heat up and blushed. She quickly looked away to hide it. She was embarrassed because Hanbyul’s observation was true.

 

“Oh! You’re blushing! Oh my God! You really like him huh?” it’s too late, Hanbyul saw her already. And she knew she’ll never hear the end of it.

 

“You’re wrong. I don’t like him, arasso? In fact, I’m so annoyed to him,” she said.

 

“Annoyed? How? I mean, he helped us,” the latter frowned.

 

“I know that. But…aish! Never mind.”

 

“You are not making sense, Dara-ssi. As much as I can recall, he did not do anything wrong. He was kind and willingly helped us. Especially to you. And as far as I remember, it is you who acted rude. You didn’t even thank him,” Hanbyul said as a matter-of-fact.

 

The woman is right. That day, she didn’t even bother thanking him for helping them out. He even tried to help her get up from the ground. What did she do? Nothing. Na da.

 

As she realized it,, she palm faced herself. She suddenly felt ashamed of herself. Here she was feeling irrationally ill towards the oblivious man. He helped her without taking anything back and yet she will repay like this? What a fool.

 

“Did it sink in now?” Hanbyul smirked at her mortified expression.

 

“Shut it!” she hissed pathetically.

 

“You owe him one, Sandara. Or at least thanked him or apologize,” she said.

 

“You want me to approach him?” she looked at her friend weirdly. “Let alone, talked to him? Are you kidding me? I can’t do that!” she refused in frenzy.

 

“And why not? It’s not difficult. Don’t be shy, Dara-ssi. Come on. He’ll recognize you. I’m sure,” she insisted reassuringly.

 

“You’re out of your mind, Hanbyul-ssi,” she shook her head.

 

“Pride,” Hanbyul grimaced rolling her eyes at her. “There’s nothing to lose. It’s just a simple sorry or thank you. See? No harm done. What are you so afraid of?” she slightly pushed her out of her stall. “Palli! He’s not that far. Run to him and help yourself.”

 

“Hanbyul!”

 

“Go! You can do it! Fighting!” she even cheered.

 

“But—“

 

“No buts! Go!” she cut her off.

 

Dara can only slump her shoulders in defeat. She decided to walks up to where Jiyong and his companion are. Might as well get over and done with this.

 

But hell broke loose. Her heart is thumping in unbelievable pace in nervousness. What would she say?

 

When she finally reached them, she heard them still bickering. More like Jiyong was scolding the younger guy. She cleared to get their attention. She did not fail when the two turns to him curiously. She bowed her head and twiddled her fingers nervously.

 

“I’ll kill Hanbyul for this,” she muttered to herself cursing the lady for forcing her to do this.

 

“Yes, mi’lady?” the young man asked her.

 

She looked up and bit her lower lip when she caught their gaze. She quickly glanced at Jiyong who stares at her. A flicker of recognition passed his eyes.

 

“It’s you…” she heard him say.

 

He remembered her!

 

She suddenly felt giddy but didn’t show it.

 

“Um…” she awkwardly started.

 

“You know her hyung?” the younger guy looked at them interchangeably.

 

Jiyong quietly nodded still staring at her.

 

“Do you need something to Jiyong hyung?”

 

“Seungri…” Jiyong warned sternly.

 

“What? I was just asking,” Seungri shrugged.

 

“Shut up, will you?” he hissed.

 

When Jiyong turns to her, he smiled automatically. That made her heart skip a beat. She find herself tongue-tied unable to speak. Her breathing hiked up. She’s messing up big time!

 

“Are you alright, mi’lady?” Seungri asked worriedly seeing her expression.

 

She didn’t answer. Her palms are sweating and her hands are shaking as well. Her eyes are fixated at them.

 

“Hey…” Jiyong’s soft voice entered her ears. His voice laced with concern. He moved closer to her and raised his hands in attempt to touch her.

 

But even before he could touch her, Dara stepped back nervously.

 

“Oh my God! I can’t do it!” she shrieks unconsciously before running away from them.

 

Jiyong and Seungri left dumbfounded while watching her back. She even heard them talking stunned.

 

“What’s wrong with her?” Seungri asked staring at her back.

 

“I don’t have any idea,” Jiyong slowly answered.

 

 

Sorry for lack of DG moments for now. I'll just introduce the characters and their role. You'll find out more in the next chapters so please stay tuned. Kamsahamnida!

p.s >> Double updates since our OTP fed us really well! #DaragonIsReal