Three

Blank Space

 

 

If there was one thing Krystal didn't forget, it was how to do her job.

They had decided against letting the media know of her memory loss after discussion because frankly, there wasn't any need to. It was pointless and they were sure it would only bring unnecessary publicity to her and people around her.

Minhyuk gave her a crash course on her current career before her first assignment awhile back. She'd of course retired as an idol, Krystal's main focus now were on dramas and endorsements. There were a few movie roles in between, here and there that helped cement her image to the public. Not surprisingly, she is still the darling for magazines and fashion spreads.

"You're still contracted with SM, and always have been. Your sister and you discussed it back then; she was the one who convinced you to stay, said they would have the resources you needed and deserved."

As a couple, Minhyuk and her apparently have a few endorsements together too.

"They range from health food to baby monitors." He shrugged, listing their projects as a duo nonchalantly.

Recently, talks were ongoing for a family endorsement to an integrated childcare facility. Of course, there was no lack of invitations for them to do family oriented reality programmes as well.

To which they had all rejected for now as the kids might not be ready.

Today however, Krystal was at the station alone for a segment on a fashion feature.

She was running late, overestimating her time at home earlier during playtime with her pair of children. Her assigned manager was running through the program highlights with her as they hurried down the corridor.

They reached the designated studio ten minutes before recording started. Krystal immediately greeted the hosts and producers, smiling and sharing about little things.

"Kai sunbaenim!"

She turned around at the name, trying to see where it came from. The reaction was almost instinctive.

Since her memory loss, her social circle had gotten a lot smaller as she tried to gain pace on identifying people. Hearing a familiar name piqued her interest, especially when it was of someone whom she last remembered as a lover.

From what little she has of her memory, she knew that the relationship she once shared with Kai was almost at its end back in 2017.

They just drifted apart with time and things probably ended for good like that.

Krystal craned her neck to get a better look but was pulled towards the studio by her manager.

"Sixty seconds to ready!"

*

She was all changed and ready to leave when the recording ended almost two hours later.

"Hey Soojung!"

"Oh wow, hi."

It was Kai.

Inside, Krystal hoped that this was going to be a friendly greeting. She was hoping there wasn't going to be anything awkward or worst, confrontational.

"How are things recently? Last we met you were still pregnant with your second child."

She heaved a sigh of relief.

Yup, they definitely ended things on a good note. No underlying bitterness in his tone or whatever. Phew. She wanted to hit herself for over thinking.

Krystal laughed it off, "she's turning six months old in two weeks. What about you?"

Truth to be told she barely knew how his life was currently. She'd been too occupied with her own problems that it was only today she remembered that he was once a part of her life too.

"The usual I guess." He shrugged it off.

She smiled at his comment, some things really don't change.

"Usual is pretty good for an industry like us."

"You're right." He returned with a hearty laugh. "Look I got to run, send my regards to Minhyuk and maybe we'll all catch up next time?"

"Sure, I'll let him know."

With that, they bade each other goodbye. Krystal oddly happy as she thought about how Minhyuk would react knowing she met Kai today on the drive back.

After a detour to pick her son up from preschool, she arrived home just shy of evening. Ellie was having her nap and Minhyuk was in the study.

She sent her son to change and found her husband busy with a new arrangement of flowers. Minhyuk looked up when he heard the door opened.

"We're back!"

Minhyuk smiled wider and gestured for her to come over. In a bid to lift her spirits earlier when the incident happened, he started changing the flowers they had in their home weekly.

It added colour and vibrancy to the house and helped to cheer Krystal up when she felt lost most of the time.

"What do we have this week?" She looked at the way he expertly handled the flora, in awe at how he never fails to do an amazing job.

"Lilies." He showed off his masterpiece of the week and leaned in to kiss her cheek. Krystal returned the gesture. It was something she'd gotten used to and enjoyed.

“Lily? Oppa, isn’t that too tacky for our baby?” Krystal pondered, smoothing her hands over her growing tummy.

They just got to know that they’ll be having a girl and Minhyuk started suggesting names that he prepared.

“Soojung ah, you’re Crystal. That isn't eactly the trendiest of names eh?”

“Kang Minhyuk!”

Post memory loss, Krystal is most thankful for Minhyuk. Apart from not putting more stress on her, he was always there whenever she needed someone.

She remembered a conversation she had with Jessica earlier that week. They were on the way to brunch after dropping the kids at their parents’.

"Soojung ah, losing your memory is the most dramatic thing that happened to you thus far in life. Not everything happens like in dramas..."

Krystal gave her sister a sheepish smile. She thought a lot about the twelve years that was forgotten. Especially the “who and how”, she still very much wanted to know how Minhyuk and her fell in love.

"I was serious when I said you were happy, Soojung."

"I know, Unnie. I can feel it, these days I wake up feeling so contented. You, mom and dad. Minhyuk, the kids, his family and my friends. There’s nothing more that I could ask for.

As someone who doesn't show much of what she feels, Jessica was an exception for her. With her, Krystal is always the affectionate baby sister.

Jessica smiled, eyes still on the road, "how are things at home? The kids?"

"It's great! Minhyuk oppa is always there to make sure I’m ok. The kids are too young to know what's happening but it's just so amazing Unnie, it's like I knew them since forever."

"Are you guys still in separate rooms?"

"I guess?"

"No y time?"

"... He's still giving me a lot of space to be comfortable. Sometimes I feel like I'm learning how to love him again but it's so easy I'm not sure if it's because I already loved him before this or because it's him being him."

Jessica cringed but couldn't help but feel happy at the same time. Her baby sister deserved the best.

Minhyuk put on finishing touches to the flowers when they heard Ellie's cries from the baby monitor.

"I'll check on her," Krystal piped, "we'll see you outside."

When she approached the cot, Ellie's crying had subsided into little sobs.

"Hey Ellie," she picked her daughter up and cuddled her. "Did you miss mummy? I missed you so much."

Sensing the familiar warmth, Ellie calmed down and blinked her wide round eyes at Krystal.

"Aren't you the prettiest?" Krystal laughed, holding her daughter closer.

At 23, Krystal never imagined how she would be as a mother. It always felt too far and unrealistic. Waking up in this role however, it was easier than what she had in mind (not without the support from people around her) and she thinks she's doing a pretty okay job thus far.

She brought Ellie out of the room for Minhyuk who was now busy with preparing baby food. They were trying to introduce solids to Ellie. Without a doubt, he was definitely the better cook between them.

Then again, most people she knew were better cooks than her. Oh well.

"Ellie look, its daddy." Krystal held the baby in a sitting position and gently swayed her. "Should we ask him what's for dinner?"

Her husband looked up to smile at them before getting back to the bubbling pot.

With the hustle bustle in the kitchen and occasional sound of blocks falling from the living room where her son was, the word 'family' suddenly came to Krystal.

Back when she was at her busiest, she never saw much of her family even though they lived together. Her parents loved going on holidays since it was an empty nest at home. Jessica and her almost always had conflicting schedules; most of the time spent home was as good as being alone.

That didn't mean they had a bad relationship. They treasured moments as a family when they came together as it was so uncommon.

In this home however, her family is always with her.

Family, Krystal thought, it was such a foreign yet endearing term.

The other day, she met her family in-law and was overwhelmed by the welcome she got. Her in-laws in particular were really concerned and offered various options. They made her bring home a box of traditional Korean medicine in addition to an already full box of beef.

She remembered Minhyuk's parents from a group dinner when they were still filming The Heirs. They were just like him, warm, bubbly and hospitable. Now that they were her in-laws, she could feel that they loved her like their own even if they don’t spend a lot of time together.

Filled with a sudden warmth from within and, Krystal closed the distance between them.

“Minhyuk-ah”

"Hmmm?" He answered absentmindedly, mashing the pumpkin he broiled in chicken stock.

Krystal adjusted Ellie on her right arm before using the other to angle Minhyuk’s face towards her.

“I think I love you.”

Their kiss only stopped after Ellie started to squirm from being squeezed in between her parents.