The Burning of Amaranthine

Across the Horizon | chanbaek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Contains mentions of blood and violence. Minor. 

 

The last thing she remembered was fire, screams of mother and child, and blood.

Byun Baekhyun, a young 18-year-old maiden, born and raised on an island near the capitals, she was taught a simple life. 

 

 

First, it wasn't proper for a lady to fight. 

"Mother, that's ridiculous."

Baekhyun's mother snorted. "Of course it's not."

The 11-year-old puffed out her cheeks. "B-but! It's no fair. Father get's to use the sword and gun!"

"Well, it is fair. That's your father's job. Your job is different. You're supposed to be raised to become a healthy and beautiful woman who can raise a family."

"But what if I don't want to raise a family?"

Her mother sighed and shook her head. "If you fight, you'll get marks and scars on your beautiful skin and body, sweetie."

 

 

Second, ladies weren't meant to do hard labor.

"Everyone has a place," her mother had said after 13-year-old Baekhyun asked if she could help the men at the dock with the crates and boxes. "And your place is to help your grandma and I pick some flowers and herbs by the meadow, not picking up crates."

"But mother! The men looked so tired and sweaty under the blazing hot sun!" Baekhyun whined. "It looks like they need help!" 

"That's exactly my point honey. It wouldn't be proper now to see a young girl sweaty carrying heavy crates around, wouldn't it?" Her mother chuckled as she finished organizing the flowers. "Especially a pretty one."

 

 

And third, curiosity killed the cat.

"Baekhyun! What were you doing out there?!" Her father's deep voice echoed through the small cozy cottage.

The 14-year-old sniffed, tears swelling in her eyes. "But father! That place was so magical. It had a Mountain Laurel! Those things are so pretty and..."

"And dangerous!" Her mother sighed as she sipped on her Jasmine tea. 

"The forest is a beautiful place! Where all of the most beautiful flowers reside!" Beakhyun couldn't understand. Why couldn't she go to the forest? Just why?

Her father groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You don't understand, Baekhyun! Even if it's beautiful, you can't enter the forest."

"But father! Oh, why? Oh, why?" Beakhyun started to cry, tears spilling out of her brown eyes and dying in her cheeks. "Oh, is it possessed? Is there a witch?" She mocked through all those tears.

Her father slammed his hand into the wooden table. "Enough! Go to your room!" 

Baekhyun cried that night thinking about the beautiful forest. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter