Chapter 2

Stay With Me

 

When the alarm set on Taeyeon’s phone starts incessantly blaring throughout the room at six in the morning, she clumsily reaches over and switches off the annoying sound. She then rolls back onto her back and shuts her eyes closed, taking a deep breath and reciting her schedule for the day. She remembers that she has to make her way to the recording studio to further discuss her upcoming full length solo album, as well as attend dance practice for the group comeback until six. She’s then responsible for dinner duties tonight; she remembers Yoona and Sooyoung whining to her the day before that they were craving Chinese takeaway.

 

Taeyeon decides to start off the morning with a refreshing shower and she sluggishly makes her way to the bathroom. When she opens the door to the bathroom however, any remnants of her sleepy nature disappears and she wakes up immediately.

 

“I’m so sorry!” She squeaks, shutting the door closed with a bang. She’s thankful that the person on the other side hasn’t screamed in terror; they’re notable for their high-pitched, deafening shrieks.

 

“It’s okay,” Jessica shyly says on the other side, her voice amplified from the steam of her bath. Taeyeon closes her eyes shut and waits until she hears the door opening, followed by Jessica softly whispering that the bathroom is now free. She opens her eyes and watches as the other woman scurries away into her room, droplets of water in tow.

 

As Taeyeon steps into the bathroom, she takes in a whiff of the shampoo Jessica’s used and is surprised that the woman still uses the same type of shampoo she’s used in the past. She strips herself of her clothes and stands underneath the showerhead, but the smell of the shampoo is so strong that it takes her back to the times where she was happy and not a hollow part of herself.

 

The water cascades onto the woman’s body and Taeyeon tries to muffle her cries in the shower.

 

What she doesn’t know is Jessica standing outside the bathroom, having accidentally left her used clothes in the room in her hurry, and biting down on her lips as her heart crumbles upon hearing her former leader breaking down in the shower.

 

 

 

When Taeyeon steps foot into the kitchen, she’s met with Yoona and Seohyun peeling apples at the counter.

 

“Hi Unnie,” Yoona says, placing down her knife so she can wrap her arms around the older woman. Taeyeon slaps her hands away and reaches for a slice of the fruit.

 

“What are you doing up at this time, Im Troublemaker? Are you up to some mischief?” Taeyeon says, ruffling the younger woman’s hair when she pokes her tongue out in response.

 

“My partner in crime is also awake at this hour of the day but you don’t see me complaining, do you Kim Troublemaker?” Yoona sneakily says, reaching forwards and pinching the older woman’s cheeks. The leader lets out a hearty chuckle and proceeds to pop another slice of apple into . She sets off into another giggle when Seohyun dramatically shakes her head at the two older women in front of her, as if thinking ‘why am I stuck with these two kids who are older than me?’.

 

“Touché,” Taeyeon says, her reply muffled by her chewing at the same time.

 

“Unnie! Eat first and then speak,” Seohyun lightly reprimands, shooting her a glare of playful disapproval. Taeyeon just clucks her tongue and flicks a piece of apple skin at the youngest member, who shrieks in surprise and begins to swat the air.

 

“You’re worse than Hyoyeon-Unnie!” Seohyun says.

 

“How am I worse? Hyo caught your reaction on camera when you thought you had a bug under your eye and I’m just flicking a piece of apple skin when there are no cameras in sight. They’re pretty much on opposite sides of a spectrum.”

 

Seohyun just shakes her head a second time before her face settles into a look that is half-gentle, half-concerned.

 

“Unnie, you know you can talk to us about anything right?” The youngest member says, placing a hand on Taeyeon’s wrist. She uses her other arm to nudge Yoona, who turns and gives Taeyeon a thumbs up whilst chewing on the fruit in . The leader looks down at her arm and back up at her members before her eyes soften and she gives the two members a meek smile.

 

“I know Seohyunnie. Thank you both for looking out for me,” Taeyeon replies. She’s about to offer Seohyun a slice of apple when Sunny enters the kitchen and her eyes widen at the sight of the three women.

 

“Why are the both of you awake?” She says, pointing her index finger at Taeyeon and Yoona. The both of them shrug their shoulders.

 

“I’ve got a photoshoot to go to,” Yoona offers, deciding that she’s bored and proceeds to poke the hell out of Taeyeon.

 

“I’ve got to go to the company; they want to discuss my album,” Taeyeon answers, shying away from her playful member’s advances. Unfortunately, Yoona wedges her into the corner of the kitchen counter so she can’t escape, and she laughs when hands reach for her sides and tickle her. Her laughter is so loud that Jessica pokes her head out of her room before quietly making her way to the kitchen to determine and locate the source of the giggle.

 

“I can’t breathe,” Taeyeon manages to say before her eyes fall upon the person standing at the entrance of the kitchen. She can’t help but blush in front of the ex-member and she averts her gaze to the countertop as the events that occurred half an hour ago replay in her mind.

 

The other members notice how the leader’s mood changes and they turn their heads to face Jessica. Yoona’s the first person to react to the situation.

 

“Unnie,” She obnoxiously says, releasing the leader from her hold and instead latching onto Jessica.

 

“It’s too early in the morning for that high-pitched voice,” Tiffany says, stepping from behind the two people standing at the entrance of the kitchen and making her way to the counter. She reaches for the jug of water that is placed on the countertop and pours herself a glass of water, gulping it down before scanning everyone’s facial expressions. The body languages of two particular individuals catch her interest immediately.

 

“Jessi, your face is all red. Is it hot in here? And Taetae, are you okay? You’re looking down a lot,” Tiffany asks, becoming even more astonished when the blush on her friend’s face deepens whilst the leader instantly springs her head up in surprise and rubs the back of her not-so-itchy neck.

 

Something suspicious is going here, Tiffany thinks.

 

“No no, I’m fine,” Jessica mumbles, shyly shifting her gaze down to the floor and attempting to hide her crimson coloured cheeks.

 

“Ummm…I’m going to go and prepare myself before I head off,” Taeyeon states, moving away from her position near the corner of the kitchen counter. She makes her way around the group and exhales a large breath when she enters the safe comforts of her room. Her phone vibrates in her pants and she takes it out, reading the message she’s received and reminding herself that she has half an hour until her manager arrives to pick her up.

 

She spends the rest of the time sitting on her bed scrolling through her photos and trying not to linger too long on those that contain Jessica.

 

 

 

After a lengthy discussion with the producers and lyricists, they decide to take a lunch break and proceed to head off to the new sushi restaurant that has recently opened near the building. Taeyeon declines, citing that she wants to take a nap. One of the lyricists pats her back and she watches the group leave, telling her that they’ll get something for her to eat and drink.

 

Taeyeon flops her body down on the black couch in the recording studio and remains in that position until someone playfully taps her .

 

“Unnie, do you flop yourself like this at the dorms too?” A feminine voice rings through her ear and she glares at the person beside her.

 

“I’m not going to buy you bread Soojung,” Taeyeon says, moving her body to sit upright and allow the younger woman space to sit down next to her. Krystal snuggles up to her and lays her head on Taeyeon’s shoulders, only to be poked away by the other woman. Concluding that Taeyeon won’t give in, she conjures her best pout and annoyingly shoves her face in front of the woman.

 

“Unnie,” She says, giggling when Taeyeon dramatically rolls her eyes.

 

Krystal knows she’s won when the woman mutters some words under her breath and returns her gaze back to her.

 

“Fine, I’ll buy you bread.”

 

“Yes! Thank you Unnie!” Krystal says, deciding to add the cherry on top of the cake by crushing the older woman in her embrace.

 

“Get your arms off me Jung Soojung!” Taeyeon says light-heartedly, releasing the smile she’s been struggling to hold in.

 

Krystal continues to giggle but loosens her grip and drops her arms to her sides.

 

“Are you working on your solo album?”

 

“Yes, I’m on a break now though. I thought you guys had group practice?”

 

“No, we’re recording our parts for the album. I told you this before Unnie; I guess you really are a grandma since you can’t remember the message I sent you on Kakaotalk,” Krystal teases, pointing towards a figure that Taeyeon recognises as Luna in one of the recording booths. Interestingly, it seems that she telepathically knows Krystal is referring to her because Luna looks up from the music stand containing music sheets. She brightly waves at the pair and returns her attention to the sheets of paper in front of her.

 

Taeyeon frowns at how Krystal pokes fun at her age.

 

“I’m not old!”

 

“Yes you are; you’re twenty-seven!”

 

“That’s not old!” Taeyeon jabs back, crossing her arms in front of her.

 

“Okay, I take that back. You have the maturity of a seven-year-old.”

 

“Jung Soojung, I really will not buy you any bread,” Taeyeon says, ignoring the pout the younger woman suddenly displays.

 

“Forgive me Unnie, for I have sinned,” Krystal plays along, linking her arms with the older woman. Taeyeon takes one look at her and shoves her face away. Krystal giggles and then returns to her default state of quietness and staring into empty space. Taeyeon waits for her to speak up but when the woman continues to remain silent, she begins to worry.

 

“Soojung? What’s on your mind?”

 

Krystal sighs, then rests her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

“Jess-Unnie left home and I don’t know where she is,” Krystal replies, not noticing the way Taeyeon begins to nervously fidget when the ex-member and her unknown whereabouts are mentioned. For some strange reason, Taeyeon feels the need to hide Jessica’s safe haven and she bites down on her lips to prevent herself from accidentally revealing her location. She prays Krystal won’t detect her unusual behaviour.

 

“Did something happen at home?” Taeyeon asks partly out of curiosity and worry.

 

“Hmmm? Oh, it’s not my place to talk about it and I’m not sure of the complete story but she’s been arguing with the bastard for a while. Mum and Dad have been trying to talk to her for weeks about it but she just took off with her suitcase and now I don’t know where she is.”

 

Before Taeyeon can question Krystal further and only just registers the language she uses to refer to Jessica’s boyfriend, Luna pokes her head out of the recording studio and beckons for her fellow member to enter to record her parts. The younger woman pats Taeyeon’s shoulders and leaves, not without nagging the older woman to buy her bread. She rushes away and comments on how lazy Taeyeon’s aiming is when the older woman throws a pillow in her direction.

 

Taeyeon’s left to ponder about Krystal’s words, which only makes her more interested in knowing why Jessica’s seeking refuge at the dorms, and why she refuses to notify her family of her whereabouts.

 

 

 

The dance instructor applauds the group for their hard work, provides some criticism about the fluidity and expression of their moves, and informs them that they’ll continue practice the next day. Taeyeon drops to the floor of the practice room, her breathing becoming ragged as she recovers from the intense choreography they’ve been working on for months. Unfortunately, her position makes her vulnerable to the other members and she shrieks when Yoona decides it’s a wonderful and genius idea to collapse on top of her.

 

“Yoongie!” Taeyeon squeals, wearily pushing the younger woman away.

 

Yoona just flashes her an impish grin and rolls over to lie beside her.

 

“Is this your new hobby Unnie? Flopping around like paper?”

 

“I’ll show you what flopping around like paper is!” Taeyeon says, but she’s too tired to push away her member, who giggles at the leader’s failure. She falls silent however, when the rest of the group crowd around them with serious expressions on their faces, and stands up from her position on the floor.

 

“Taetae?” Tiffany calls out. Taeyeon hums in response.

 

“Some of us have more schedules to attend to whilst the rest have dinners and catch-ups to go to, so will you be fine at the dorms?”

 

“Yes, I’ll be fine.”

 

“Are you sure?” Sunny asks, arching an eyebrow and crossing her arms to show her scepticism of the leader’s response.

 

It seems that their leader doesn’t know what she’s getting herself into.

 

“Yes, now you girls have fun,” Taeyeon says, standing up and waving them off with a hand. They all take turns hugging the leader before waving back and exiting the dance practice room. Something peculiar about the smirks on the girls’ faces makes the wheels in Taeyeon’s head spin, and she backtracks their conversation and the events that occurred recently. Her eyes widen when she realises her mistake.

 

“Oh no no no.”

 

Taeyeon’s not a runner, but she tries to catch up to the group before they turn the corner. Seeing that her short legs are of no help, she calls out to them and sighs in relief when Yuri turns around and tells the rest of the girls to stop.

 

“Yes Taeng?”

 

“You’re leaving me…at the dorms…with her?” Taeyeon pants heavily, frustration and annoyance building inside her when she registers the looks of cheekiness on her member’s faces.

 

“You said you were fine with it,” Sooyoung teases, stepping forward and ruffling Taeyeon’s already messy hair. The leader swats her hands away.

 

“But I forgot that she was there!”

 

“Look Taetae, I already texted her to pick you up and that it’s just going to be the two of you eating dinner at the dorms tonight. I also told her to pick up some Chinese takeaway.”

 

“What?”

 

“You’ll be fine! You’re not strangers with each other so use the time to talk to her and mend your relationship!”

 

“But we’re –”

 

“No buts; we’re running late. Jessi will be here in thirty,” Tiffany concludes, waving the girls to turn around and leave.

 

Taeyeon just growls in response and watches as the girls walk away and snicker at their victory.

 

 

 

When Jessica’s car arrives at the underground car park and she receives a text telling her to come down, Taeyeon just stands outside the vehicle and outright refuses to enter.

 

“What are you doing? They might see you!” Jessica says, beckoning the woman to enter. She’s afraid that some of the more eager fans will see the famous woman standing outside the car, and she doesn’t want to aggravate the situation between them any further.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

“Tiff texted me saying you needed a ride back to the dorms and I was in the area and –”

 

“You could have rejected her!” Taeyeon says, her voice breaking at the end of the sentence when it sounds too much like 'you could have rejected me'.

 

Jessica’s rendered speechless by the woman’s outburst and Taeyeon mumbles an apology before fixating her gaze on the roof of the car.

 

“I-I…just get in the car,” Jessica replies softly.

 

“I’m not going to be in a car where you’re driving.”

 

“Oh come on! I’m not that bad of a driver,” Jessica says.

 

“Says the one whose car wheels cross over to the next lane.”

 

“Get in the car!”

 

 

 

Throughout the entire journey, Taeyeon tightly clutches onto her seatbelt and holds her breath until Jessica’s car finally comes to a stop in one of the apartment car spaces. She’s thankful that she’s on an empty stomach because if she had eaten prior to the ride, she’s sure she would have lurched her way to the dorms and thrown up. Jessica seems to notice that Taeyeon feels uncomfortable because she immediately pulls down the window on Taeyeon’s side to allow air to flow into the car.

 

“Sorry,” She offers.

 

Taeyeon just waves her off and opens the passenger side door. She steps out of the vehicle and stumbles, but before she can stagger away to the elevator a hand wraps around her and pulls her close to a warm body.

 

Taeyeon doesn’t say anything when Jessica helps her all the way to the dorms, but she pushes the other woman away when they finally enter the unit. She lays her body on the couch to rest. When she hears soft footsteps padding into the kitchen followed by Jessica clarifying where the cutlery is (they did a bit of housecleaning so it's not in the place where it used to be), she opens her eyes and makes her way to the dimly lit room.

 

Seeing the former member in the dorm again, in which she had sworn she would never walk in again, only makes Taeyeon more confused than ever.

 

“I don’t understand. Why are you here?”

 

“I already bought food for us to eat,” Jessica replies, ignoring Taeyeon’s question. She finally manages to locate the cutlery and places them on the table before reaching into some plastic bags and taking out the take-away boxes containing hot Chinese food that she had ordered for their dinner.

 

“I’m not hungry.”

 

“You should eat something Taeyeon. You’re too skinny and you need to eat in order to –”

 

“Please stop.”

 

Jessica freezes and glances up at her former leader, only to have her heart sink further when Taeyeon desperately tries to blink away the tears threatening to fall down her face.

 

“Please stop caring about me. I’m trying my hardest to move on and you should too,” The older woman softly whispers.

 

Taeyeon heads towards her bedroom and doesn’t turn around when she leaves Jessica at the dining table. She falls onto her mattress and reflects on the events that occurred. Her mind tries to unravel and decipher Soojung’s words before her thoughts lead her back to Jessica and her sudden reappearance at the dorms.

 

It only makes her more lost and confused.

 

 

 

When the rest of the girls return to the dorms, they notice two takeaway boxes containing Chinese food left untouched on the dining table. Seeing this, Tiffany enters Taeyeon’s and Jessica’s rooms to ask them if they’re hungry.

 

Her hand hovers over their shoulders to shake them awake, only to notice wet patches underneath their eyelids as they both drift into sleep in their separate rooms.

 

 

 

 


A/N: Because through all the angst, I think we also need fluff and I love SeoTae’s unique relationship of annoying the heck out of each other as well as YoonTae and their playfulness. If you haven’t seen this yet, then I’ll be very sad.

I introduced Krystal a bit earlier into the story and that's because she plays a very important role in the upcoming chapters. And yes, despite the rift between Taeyeon and Jessica, Krystal and Taeyeon are on good terms (which you'll also find out why later hehehe).

Thanks for reading so far, and let me know what you think!

 

Edited: 14/06/20