|| Three ||

The Moon and Her Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A text message arrived the moment I stepped inside our house. Instead of a ticket receipt, Lu Han sent me a picture of an actual ticket. His caption was a simple: Satisfied?

I bit a grin. I wasn't going to miss any local Lunar Sages' event, after all.

"What are you so happy about, Unnie?" Yoomi, who was already out of her uniform, asked.

I ran to her and squealed. "I just got a ticket to LS' fan signing event."

Yoomi squealed with me. "That's great. Isn't that their first fan signing here?"

"Yes! I'm finally going to meet them face to face," I said. "What about you? Did you buy a ticket?"

Yoomi's shoulder sagged and she went to plop herself on the living room couch. "Wasn't able to. My science teacher dismissed us at the very last minute."

I followed her and dropped my backpack on the floor as I sank on the seat beside her. "Mine, too, actually. It's melon bread boy who got me a ticket."

Yoomi whipped her head at me, her eyes wide. "What? That nosy guy you kept telling us about?"

I nodded. "I don't know why he's helping me. He just wanted his precious melon bread in return."

Yoomi suddenly stood up. "Hmmm, that is suspicious."

Yoon stepped into the living room and snorted at us. "That's not suspicious at all. The guy just probably likes Noona."

Yoomi and I stared at Yoon as he casually sat on the other couch and reached for the TV remote. When he noticed we were still staring, he raised an eyebrow at us.

"That's impossible," I finally said, dragging Yoomi back down to sit. "That guy does nothing but annoys me."

Yoon shrugged, turning on the TV. It was just showing advertisements. "A classic example of a boy pulling a girl's pigtails," he said.

Yoomi threw the nearest couch pillow at Yoon. "Stop sounding like a know-it-all. You don't even have a crush."

Yoon stuck his tongue out at Yoomi. "Wanna bet?"

"Sure. What are we betting this time?" Yoomi said without hesitation.

Here they go again, I thought as I took out my notebook and pen. The twins were super close alright, but they also loved arguing with each other. They had this monthly bets and I usually take notes of their agreement so the loser would surely pay up.

"The usual," Yoon answered. "If I prove that this melon bread boy of Noona likes her, your one week allowance will go to me."

"He's not my melon bread boy, Yoon," I said, taking issue with his phrasing.

My brother just grinned at me. I checked last bet's entry. Yoomi won their last bet.

"You'll do all the work?" Yoomi asked. "Sounds good to me. If you fail to have evidence by..." she thought for a second, and then snapped her fingers, "...the end of the month, then you're going to be the one walking home for a week. I won't even give you lunch money."

"Okay, you guys. Noted. Now shhh,  Lunar Sages is coming up next," I told them as I chucked the notebook inside my backpack and focused on the TV. I didn't even understand why they were having the pointless bet. I was sure Yoomi would win again. There was no way Lu Han liked me.

On the following days, Yoon and Yoomi alternated in dropping at my classroom. When Yoomi first saw Lu Han during the morning break, she slapped my arm.

"What?" I snapped at her, rubbing my stinging arm.

She grinned sheepishly. "Sorry. Involuntary reaction. You didn't say your melon bread boy is super cute."

"Yoomi!" I chided. Good thing we were outside the classroom and Lu Han had just hunched over his desk after Yoomi had gotten a glimpse of him, his face buried on his arms. Huh, his shoulders had a defeated sag to it.

Yoomi tucked her arms over one another as she stared at Lu Han. "I totally wouldn't mind if Yoon wins our bet. I'd be happy if you'd get him as your boyfriend, Unnie."

"Hey!" I chided again. "Yoon is wrong, okay? Will you go back to your class already?"

Yoomi just giggled. "Alright. See you at lunch, Unnie."

When I walked back to my seat, I didn't take my eyes off of Lu Han's back. Was he not feeling well? Now that I thought about it, he didn't bother me throughout the morning. Not even an annoying greeting.

"Would you kindly stop staring at me?" Lu Han suddenly said, no bite to his voice, his head moving an inch, his eyes watching me.

I quickly looked away and pretended to look for something in my backpack.

Lu Han's brows furrowed, and sat up. "I didn't know you find me an eye candy." There was no teasing in his voice, just plain wonder.

"You're not an eye candy at all!" I barked. "I was just curious about..." -I searched for something to change the topic to-"...about... why you still haven't given me the ticket."

He shrugged, the crease in his forehead gone. "You haven't really given me any melon bread yet." There was barely any interest in his voice.

I swung my legs to the aisle, facing him. "You said whenever and wherever you wanted them. You haven't exactly asked for one yet."

He nodded, acknowledging my point. Then he hunched over his desk again, burying his face on his arms while facing away from me. I raised an eyebrow at his non-annoying state. I didn't know it was possible. Was he really sick? Not that I was concerned. Just curious.

"Are you okay?" I asked before I could think about it.

"Stop bothering me," he said with a sigh.

Huh. I was just trying to... I stopped, experiencing a weird deja vu. Only this time, our words were switched. I squinted at him one last time before deciding to also ignore him. He was clearly fine. We were never going to get along.

During lunch break, I ate with Yoon and Yoomi at the rooftop where I first "met" Sehun. The sun was up but the breeze was cool so we set up a blanket on the floor and ate the lunch we bought from the cafeteria.

Nobody knew how to cook. Our parents were always away so it was grandma who made us meals. When she passed on, instead of learning ourselves, we chose the easy way: take-outs.

We were eating then when the rooftop door opened. Yoomi grinned while Yoon's eyes gleamed with mischief. It was Lu Han, a melon bread dangling on his mouth. He stopped on his tracks and blinked at us.

"What?" I said icily, though what he did in the rooftop was none of my business. We got here first though.

"Hi, Lu Han hyung," Yoon greeted him as if they were old friends, standing up to shake hands with him. What was Yoon doing?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter