|| Thirteen ||

The Moon and Her Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lu Han and I met up the next day to go to the precinct together to give our statements about what happened last night. The bruise on his cheek was now purple. I couldn't help staring at it all the way through the station.

"Do you find me that handsome?" Lu Han joked as we were walking out of the precinct later.

I coughed and looked away. He still was, even with the bruise. I would never say that though. "If you could see yourself from my eyes, you'd never make that joke again," I said instead. A total lie.

Lu Han's eyes widened in alarm and he self-consciously covered his cheek with his hand. "Does it look that awful?"

"I was kidding," I said, realizing that he really might care about appearances. He did comb his hair midway through our video call. "I was just wondering if it hurts a lot."

Lu Han shook his head. "Not really."

I gave him a sour look.

He raised his hands in surrender. "Okay. A bit, but only if I make exaggerated movements with my face."

"I hope you learned your lesson," I said, grimacing at him.

He had the nerve to grin. "Yes, ma'am. I promise not to get hurt again without your permission."

My cheeks were instantly ablaze with embarrassment. Why did I ever say that? "Shut up," was all I could bark and hastened my steps away from him.

He was laughing as he caught up to me at the bus stop. "Slow down, Yeona. I'm injured, you know." He clutched his stomach dramatically.

I gave him my coldest glare. Despite the butterflies in my stomach at seeing Lu Han's carefree smile, I genuinely wanted to hit him to shut him up.

He took the hint when I didn't smile or laugh a few seconds later. He shuffled closer and gently nudged my arm with his elbow and said, "Hey, you're not allowed to be mad at me. It's my birthday tomorrow."

Which reminded me, I still didn't know what to get him. The sudden alarm pushed away my annoyance and I turned to Lu Han with a friendlier expression. "Do you want anything for your birthday?"

Lu Han shrugged good-naturedly with a small smile. "I already have it."

Just then, the bus arrived. The precinct was two bus stops away from my neighborhood and four stops away from Lu Han's.

"There must be something you want," I said as I climbed up the steps of the bus.

"Hmmm. Maybe kisses?" he mumbled behind me.

I missed a step and nearly plunged to the floor. Lu Han caught me by the arm. "You okay?"

I quickly pried his hand away and hurried to the back of the bus. Thankfully, the bus was mostly empty so there wasn't a lot who witnessed my clumsiness. More importantly, what did he mean by kisses? As Lu Han walked towards me with a worried expression, I couldn't help focusing on his lips. I pressed my knuckles to my cheek to stop the incoming blush. What the hell, Yeona?

Lu Han sat down beside me. "Are you okay?" he asked again, his joking demeanor replaced with a troubled look.

Feeling confident that I didn't look like a blushing tomato, I removed my hands from my face and pressed them on my lap instead like some prim lady. "Absolutely."

Lu Han gave me a suspicious look. "You sure?"

I rolled my eyes exaggeratedly to hide my further embarrassment. "Yes. Now, what did you say you wanted for your birthday again?" I asked, changing the topic and pretending I didn't hear him the first time.

"Oh." Lu Han grinned and I braced myself for his answer. "Chocolates. Hershey's kisses."

Can I punch him?

He had no idea what state of anxiety he was making me go through. Was liking someone really that great? All my feelings for Lu Han was giving me was stress.

"Alright," I said, partly relieved. As if Lu Han would really ask for a kiss from me. "I'll get you some on my way tomorrow." I mean, why would he? He didn't like me the way I liked him. Great, now I was dejected. Screw this feeling.

"Speaking of tomorrow," Lu Han said, suddenly looking nervous. "Will you be okay with dressing up for my birthday?"

I couldn't find any words from my throat because I did plan on dressing up. Now that he said it though, that plan suddenly seemed so embarrassing.

"Dressing up?" I repeated, feigning ignorance.

Lu Han sighed. "I told my mom I wanted a simple meal with family and friends, but she insisted on throwing a party despite our deal."

"What was your deal?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

Lu Han sheepishly smiled. "Remember when I brought you home to meet my mom? She promised to let me have a simple birthday this year in exchange for that."

That was a surprise. "So your mom loves throwing parties?"

Lu Han chuckled. "Only on our birthdays and some holidays. I think it's her way of making up for all those days where she and dad aren't home."

"Work?"

Lu Han nodded. "They're general surgeons and they practically live in the hospital."

I couldn't help smiling. It's during these moments that I fall for him. "So you let your mom have her way."

He just shrugged. "I can't really win against her anyway." Then his eyes lit up. "Plus I think it will be fun this year. You'll be there, after all." He winked at me.

Okay, mini heart attack. I cleared my throat and looked away, afraid my face will give away what I'm thinking.

I got out of the bus first, and from the back of the bus, Lu Han waved to me like a kid until I could no longer see him. This guy, he really had no idea what he was doing to my heart.


Lu Han also invited the twins to his birthday but they already made plans with friends for a subject assessment. And even though the party was a dinner thing, the twins still wouldn't be able to make it. Right after sundown, after picking up chocolates, I made my way to Lu Han's house nervously.

I wasn't sure if I "dressed up" correctly, but I think my long-sleeved plaid mini dress was a safe choice, whatever the theme of the party was. I didn't tell Lu Han that I was already in their neighborhood because I was cradling his real gift. I couldn't decide whether to hide it or give it to him directly. Maybe Meimei could help me sneak it into her room first. Then I realized I didn't have her number. I made a mental note to get it later.

When I reached Lu Han's house, I stalled at the gate. I suddenly felt like an outsider knowing his whole family was going to be inside and who knew who else. Okay, forget the surprise. I texted Lu Han that I was outside their house, wanting a familiar face.

Before I could dwell on the matter, the gate suddenly opened, bearing Lu Han's mom. Her face was bright when she saw me, and like the first time I met her, she drew me in for a ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter