escapism

The Trap Series

 

 

escapism
Yunho might just be suffering from paranoia while out on a dinner with the object of his affection.






“Okay. So here’s what you’re going to do. You take a shower, go to the restaurant, tell Jaejoong you cannot make it, walk back out, and then break out in a run.”

“Out of all your dumb ideas, that’s got to be the dumbest of them all.” Kangin proved his point by smacking Donghae upside the head. “Really Donghae, really? That’s the best you got?”

While his friends bantered like idiots, Yunho wondered if there was any way to avoid his ex-girlfriend. Obviously, it would be rude of him to be a no show, though it would be a lot worse if he showed up only to say he is suddenly not available. Surely, Jaejoong wasn’t stupid and would easily catch that something was wrong. But of course, he wouldn’t exactly know what it was so it’s possible that he might think Yunho didn’t want to hang out with them even when it’s actually the exact opposite.

It didn’t take too long for him to make up his mind. He wondered why his friends were still hanging around his house when they were supposed to be busy with their own appointments. He had an inkling that they were bluffing, but it didn’t matter now. They weren’t any help and he wasn’t about to expect anything relevant from them. Zipping up his coat, he grabbed his wallet, keys, and his friends’ ears, and then dragged them outside his house.

“If you want to be helpful, go home and leave me alone tonight.” he said before walking away from the confused duo. He stopped on his tracks for a moment and continued, “And don’t call me. I won’t be picking up.”

Ignoring his friends’ protests and screams has never felt so good.

It was only Jaejoong and Junsu waiting for him. Apparently, Changmin was having a talk with his father regarding the incident. As he sat right across Jaejoong, he could not help but look around for signs of his ex-girlfriend. When there seemed to be none, he unconsciously breathed a sigh of relief which, unfortunately for him, Jaejoong noticed.

“That was a very deep sigh.” the seemingly flawless man said with a soft chuckle. “Is something the matter?”

Jaejoong’s chuckle brought a genuine smile on Yunho’s face. “I’m good. It was just a sigh.”

“Yeah, well, I doubt it was something else.” Yunho laughed, albeit fake. “Shall we order?” He was about to blurt out what he usually ordered back then, not really bothered to take a look at the menu, when he realised that Jaejoong knew nothing about him being all too familiar with the place. And so, he nodded and took the menu that was offered to him even if he already knew what he was going to get. He felt too uncomfortable at the place to even think about what else to eat. Soon enough, orders were placed.

All he wanted was to eat, chat, run, and hope that he’d be invited to more dinners. Just not at this place.

“How did Changmin’s father take it?” he asked, distracting himself. He figured that if he didn’t think his ex would be around, she really wouldn’t be. It’s all in the state of mind.

Jaejoong smiled. It was a pretty smile. The kind of smile Yunho wouldn’t mind seeing every single day. “Calmly, surprisingly. But he did give Changmin the look, if you get what I mean. Told him he’s grounded.”

“Does that mean Junsu will get his statue?”

Both adults looked at the child who was busy with his colouring book. He needed it everytime they go out to avoid him making a fuss whenever he felt bored. “Hmm. But we’ll both pay in half. You see, we really aren’t rich, so we can’t afford to spend a wad of money when we feel like it. Yoochunnie is a single father.”

Yunho appreciated the fact that Jaejoong told him small details of their lives. He didn’t know if it was alright to ask, but he took the risk. “How about you?”

“What about me?”

“Are you… a single father as well?”

The smile that Jaejoong sent his way was a little too confusing. It looked sad, and Yunho didn’t know what to make of it. “I have a husband.” That single line got his heart shattering into a million pieces, his shoulders unconsciously sagging. Great, it’s over even before it started.

Admittedly, it was too early for him to feel such things when he literally just met Jaejoong a few hours ago. But he was genuinely interested in him. They might have interacted only for a while, but he felt chemistry between them. It was probably just him, although the sad smile Jaejoong flashed gave him a tiny bit of hope. He wouldn’t ask, but he knew that there was something about it. He might not know now, but eventually he would.

“Ah, I see.” was what he managed to reply. “I hope you’re happy.”

Jaejoong shrugged. “Can’t complain.”

Then silence lingered.

Only until Yunho wasn’t able to stop himself from asking. “Quite frankly, that isn’t a satisfying answer. You don’t look happy. I won’t pry, though.”

“Thank you.” Jaejoong replied, and that did nothing to suffice his curiosity.

“Look papa! I don’t colour over the lines anymore.” Junsu announced cheerily, breaking the terrible and awkward silence. He was thankful for the kid being around. He has found Junsu’s purpose in dates.

While the father and son tandem gushed about Junsu’s masterpiece, he was still a little paranoid to completely ignore his surroundings. A few employees already recognised him as soon as he stepped foot inside the restaurant. He felt bad for somehow ignoring them. A smile accompanied by a small nod was the best and safest reply he could give them. They were probably thinking what he was doing there with someone else, and that he must be crazy and dumb. Even he himself thought the same thing, and yet, he didn’t have the balls to admit to Jaejoong because really, things would only go nasty once the ex shows up. That was the main reason for his discomfort. If she doesn’t, then everything will be fine and dandy.

A vibration on his left thigh snapped him out of his reverie. Sighing, he fished out his phone and expected a message from one of his friends. He wasn’t disappointed. There was a message from Kangin which read “Get takeouts and take them to Han River or something. There are fireworks at Han at around 9pm. You’re welcome”

Sometimes, just sometimes, his friends were genuises. “Hey uhm,” he started, slipping his phone back in his pocket. “I heard there are fireworks at Han River in about an hour. Do you like to get our food wrapped up and eat there instead? Just thought Junsu might like the view.”

He would have peed in relief if it wasn’t so embarrassing when Junsu brightened up at the idea. “But papa is scared of fireworks.”

He almost groaned when he caught Jaejoong biting his lip. “You are?” It took quite a few moments before the latter nodded. “Don’t think it’s embarrassing because it’s not.” he said. “We all have fears and that happens to be one of yours. I can distract you while Junsu enjoys the view. Would that be okay?”

Jaejoong nodded, much to his surprise. “If it will make my Junsu happy.” And that made him wonder if Jaejoong easily agreed to things he didn’t really like all for the sake of Junsu. He was so different from the seemingly carefree Jaejoong he met a while back.

He didn’t know Jaejoong much yet, but one thing’s for sure, he is selfless.

With his newfound enthusiasm, he called for a waiter and asked for their orders to be put in takeaway boxes instead. He watched as the waiter disappeared inside the kitchen and turned his attention back to Jaejoong. “Are you really sure it’s fine? I know this seems like a date and you’re married, but don’t worry, I just want Junsu to have fun after what he went through earlier.”

Remembering the incident got them both giggling. “I’ll be sure to keep my son away from Changmin when we’re in bus stops.”

“Great idea. Oh, if you don’t mind me asking, what do you do? Your work, I mean.”

“I stay at home and watch over the kids. I used to have a job as a preschool teacher…” Jaejoong trailed off, his voice getting softer by the second. “But my husband wanted me to stop so here I am.”

He was about to comment on how the husband didn’t have the right to dictate him, but figured he also had no right to say such thing. He settled for asking a question instead. “If you were to decide, would you want to work again?”

“I would love to!” Jaejoong’s sudden outburst caught him by surprise. It was rather endearing.

Yunho chuckled and was a little distracted by the waitress approaching them with their takeouts. He did a double take because the girl was walking with attitude. All the colour from his face drained when the girl he thought was a waitress, was actually his ex-girlfriend.

“Yunho, are you okay? You look pale.” Of course Jaejoong noticed. He notices everything.

“Of course. Now that I’m here, he’s more than okay.”

The tall man could only close his eyes and take a deep breath at the voice of his ex, Jun Jihyun. Trying to ignore her existence and at the same time, not, he plastered a smile on his face and grabbed the bags she placed on the table. “Thank you for personally bringing these to us. We’re busy, so we’re going now.” Thankfully, a still confused Jaejoong was already getting money from his wallet. He might come off as rude, but he’ll apologise later. Right now, they had to get out. He grabbed the money from Jaejoong and slammed it down the table. “Keep the change.”

Out of panic, he shoved the takeaway bags on Jaejoong’s chest, scooped Junsu up and carried him, and took Jaejoong’s hand in his as he dragged him out of the restaurant. Surely, Jaejoong will demand an explanation and he will try his hardest to explain everything to him.




 

 

 
 

merry christmas! and happy holidays to everyone else :) i have edited the previous chapter. i didn't know i was that sleepy when i wrote it so there were errors here and there hehe i hope this update was okay. thanks for reading!

p.s. nyamcha was based from that dimsum place we ate at in sg, yum cha. also, i still at summaries