Broken -Yongguk pt. 1-

Free Fall

"One coffee please."

"With milk and sugar, as always?"

"Yes, as always."

The friendly customer gives me a smile as I write down his order and then walk away. There are not a lot of people in this small cafe, but somehow he seems to come here often. Maybe he likes the silence while watching the people passing him by on the streets, whether it rains or the sun shines. I've admired him from afar for as long as he's been a regular at this place. I'm just working here as a part-timer, next to studying for university entrance exams. I finished school half a year ago, but at that time I didn't make it into uni, so I have to try again this year. But this also means that I can only work at this coffee shop on afternoons from Monday to Friday - so I only get to see him during that time. He usually comes in at around 4 o' clock and leaves at 6, so he stays here quite long. The young man comes in daily, but sometimes he just won't show up. Of course I can't ask him about his absence, but rather than that, I just enjoy it whenever he's here. His name? I have no idea about that... I know, I know, I might seem a bit desperate to have a crush on someone whose name I don't even know, but you can't choose who you're attracted to, can you?

I serve him the coffee, with a small cookie on the side, as a special gift, to somehow show him my admiration. Then I return to the counter. As there are no other people here at the moment, I just stand there and stare at him. I watch as his long, thin fingers take a hold of the spoon and stir the drink and as he lifts up the cup and brings it to his beautifully defined lips to take a sip and check if the coffee is cooled down enough to drink.

My observations are interrupted by two female customers coming in and taking a seat. I walk over to them and greet them, after they had enough time to look at the menue.

"What would you like to drink?" I ask them.

"An iced coffee for me, please" one of them orders and the other adds, "I'd like a lemonade." I nod, take down the order, and go back to the bar in order to make their drinks. While I serve them, I notice the male customer talking on the phone and then hastily leaving the cafe. He hasn't even paid yet! I hurry over to the now empty table and find a piece of paper with a phone number and a small message:

"Sorry, had to leave urgently. Please call me for payment! - Bang Yongguk"

I hold the small piece of paper and stare at it as if it said I had just won the jackpot. And in some way, I have, because now I know his name and his phone number. Bang Yongguk, huh? That name kind of suits him...

After leaving work in the evening, I do not hesitate to dial his number. But it does take me a while to actually make the call. I'm getting really nervous and worked up over this. What if I say something stupid? He'll think I'm a total weirdo... But I have to call him, because I need the money...

"Argh!" I exclaim, put away my phone and walk home. Arriving at my parent's house, where I still live, I walk up to the second floor and into my room. There, I sit down on the bed and try to calm myself down by doing a few breathing exercises. Why do I always get so afraid when it comes to talking to strangers? In the end, I force myself to call him and to my not so pleasant surprise, he picks up faster than I thought he would.

"Bang Yongguk speaking. Could you be the waitress from that coffee shop?"

"Y-yes I am. Y-you left this n-number on the chair - uh - table. On the table." Why am I like this?! He chuckles lightly.

"I did. I just wanted you to have my name and number, so that you know I didn't just run away without paying. It really was urgent, I'm sorry."

"I-it's okay..."

"Then when can I give you the money? Since tomorrow is Saturday, you won't have a shift, right? Can I give it to you sometime around noon?"

I stutter my way through the rest of the conversation and we agree on meeting at 11 a.m.. And now I'm just sitting there on my bed, embarrassed at myself and full of self-hate, because I acted like an idiot again. Due to all the excitement for the next day, I can't sleep well that night and when I get up in the next morning, I feel like I haven't slept at all. Still, I eat breakfast, wash up and leave the house far too early for our meeting, where I arrive at half past 10. But Bang Yongguk isn't exactly late either, as he shows up about ten minutes after me.

"Oh, you're here already! And I thought I'd be here first..." he says and scratches his neck. Only now I realize what a soothingly deep voice he has and how slowly he talks. But just at the bare sight of him I tense up.

"H-hello..." I greet him, not in the most confident manner. My self-esteem drops on the spot - as always when I talk to a fairly attractive person in front of who I don't want to act like an idiot. Regardless of my inner conflict, he half smiles - adorably at that.

"Is everything okay with you?" he asks. Damn, he noticed...

"E-everything okay." I take a deep breath and think to myself, "Pull yourself together, Y/N!!" I exhale and reassure him again, "Everything's fine, really." Wow, I actually managed to say a whole sentence without being stupid...

"Then... I'll give you the money" the man says and rummages through his pockets, as if he had continents in there. "But I want something in return." I swallow, not knowing what he might ask for. However, he doesn't keep me waiting for long anyway. "I want to know your name, first of all" he demands. Wait - there's more?

"I'm Y/N" I also somehow get that out without stuttering.

"Second" he holds out the money, "I want to take you out sometime."

"M-me? Out? What do you mean?" I look around in case he is talking to someone else and I check if my hands both have five fingers, to make sure I'm not dreaming. Take me out? As in 'take someone out on a date'? He chuckles lightly at my confusion and nods. "Yes, I want to take you out someday. To the cinema, to go shopping, or whatever you want" he states and I have to catch my breath in order not to faint. At the same time I barely manage to keep my excitement to myself and I almost let out a happy yelp.

"I... yeah, sure, why not?" Okay, that came out weirdly... And he just gives me an even brighter smile and s the money into my hand.

"Then I'll call you in the evening, alright?" he proclaims. "You have time, right?"

"R-right..." I utter, as he already walks away, but turns around again after a few steps to wave at me. Then, he finally disappears and I literally fall to the ground.

"He just... He just... asked me out on a date? Me?" I can't believe it. I really, really cannot believe that a decent looking and seemingly nice guy, whom I've admired from afar for so long, would actually ask out a potato like me. But now...?

"Everything okay?" Someone crouches down in front of me and I flinch. He seems like the exact opposite from Bang Yongguk and to be honest, he freaks me out. He does the half smile as well, but it's not pretty in the least and in his calm eyes I can see madness. He holds out one heavily tattooed hand to me, but I refuse to touch him.

"I-I'm fine..." I say, silently, and stand up, which he does too.

"Yonggukie-hyung has chosen an interesting girl, I see..." he murmurs, more to himself than to me.

"E-excuse me, I really have to be somewhere" I lie to somehow get out of this unpleasant conversation.

"I see. Then have a good day, Y/N..." with that he leaves as quickly as he appeared. But why does he know my name? For how long has this scary person been listening to Bang Yongguk and me...? What's more, he seems to know him, otherwise he wouldn't have called him by a nickname like this... I somehow get a bad feeling about it, but I try to brush it away for now and walk home to study.

...But as expected, I can't concentrate. I keep worrying about that strange blue haired guy and my anticipation for Bang Yongguk's phone call doesn't make the situation any better.

Come evening, it doesn't take long for Bang Yongguk to call me. This time around, I am the one who picks up far too soon, as I have practically been waiting patiently next to my cellphone for hours since I got home.
"Oh, you picked up fast, Y/N!" he utters in surprise. "Were you that excited for my call?" I got nervous because he just hit the bulls eye. Am I that easy to read...?

"W-well, I... yeah, kind of" I answer shyly and lower my voice, at which he gives off a light chuckle.

"Ah, I didn't expect you to be so brutally honest. I don't know if my heart can take hearing this more often than once..." Well, I didn't expect you to drop a cheesy line like that. I laugh awkwardly, then he moves on to the original objective. "So, when are you free for going out?" He hesitates a few seconds. "... if you want to go out, of course!"

"I promised it, so..." I answer, but he didn't let that pass.

"But if you don't want to, then I won't force you..."

"It's okay. I want to meet..." I admit and fidget with my skirt.

"Then I'm glad. I'll let you choose where to go" he says and I can actually hear his smile through the speakers.

"I, uhm... I'd really love to go to an amusement park then" I state and he immediately approves.

"Let's do that then! I didn't think you'd be the kind of girl to enjoy such places though..."

I feel a bit embarrassed, now that he says that. But nonetheless, I'm still happy to be able to go there with him. We agree on meeting next Saturday and after a long week of waiting and occasionally seeing Bang Yongguk in the coffee shop, that day finally arrives. Being early again, I wait for him at the gates of the amusement park, where he soon shows up as well. He greets me with his beautiful smile.

"Hello, Y/N! It's nice to see you."

"I'm also happy to see you, Bang Yongguk..." I say, making him raise his eyebrows. "D-did I do something wrong?" I pry carefully.

"No, no, that's not it. Just, you can use my first name only." I nod obediently and he shows a soft smile, his eyes illuminated. We go in and I immediately see a rollercoaster I want to ride. But I'll keep that one for later, since I don't want to do my favourites right away. Instead, we take something like a waterslide, that turns out to be wilder than we thought. Next up, we ride a low rollercoaster - unfortunately without any loopings. After that we go to a see-saw-like ride, which I enjoy so much that I wind up convincing Yongguk to take it a second time.

"Y/N, can we take a little break?" Yongguk grabs my arm as we walk to the next attraction to slow down my restless wandering through the park, but I flinch in surprise and pull away.

"S-sorry..." I mutter into his shocked face. "Let's... sit down over there." I point at a bench and we walk over to it.

"Do you want something to drink?" Yongguk asks to break the sudden silence between us. "I'll get us something..."

"Just... water... please..." I say while facing the ground. A few minutes later, Yongguk returns with two small bottles of liquid and hands one over to me.

"Thanks" I whisper as I receive it from him.

"Say, Y/N" he addresses me. "Do you not like being touched? Or is it because of me?" he asks.

"No, it has nothing to do with you! If anything, I'd rather be touched by you than anyone else..." I assure and he sighs.

"There she goes again...!" Yongguk clutches a hand at his chest, as if he was in sudden pain. "You're dangerously direct, you know?" An unexpected chuckle escapes my lips. Then my expression becomes serious again.

"I hate it when strangers touch me. And I wasn't prepared when you took my arm, so I was surprised. But I don't hate touching you" I wrap up my explanation.

"I see..." the tall man next to me exhales and gives me an understanding look. "Then I'll warn you next time." Something tells me he meant that somewhat jokingly.

Our next destination is the haunted house.

"This one's famous for being really scary though..." I say to try and avoid having to go in there. But Yongguk gives me puppy eyes and after that I really can't refuse anymore. So we buy the tickets for it and go in. At first there is only a dark hallway and I walk rather calmly next to Yongguk. But soon, there's the first jumpscare in the form of something flying above our heads followed by questionable noises. My heart starts beating rapidly and I grip my shirt tightly. We turn around a corner, when suddenly a person dressed in a hairy, slimy costume jumps out right in front of me. I screech and instinctively clasp Yongguk's arm tightly. He looks at me in surprise and lowers his head to make me feel safer.

"Is this alright?" he asks me with his deep, calm voice. I just nod. Struck with fear, I can't say anything right now. We continue walking and encounter a bunch of other strange creatures and scary effects, at which I always tighten my grip on Yongguk's thin arm a little more. As soon as we get out, I must've been squeezing so hard that it hurts. But he doesn't say anything about it.

"Are you okay? I didn't think you'd be that scared" he states, as we lean against a wall to help me catch my breath.

"Of course I'm scared! That was the absolute worst!" I whine and he lightly touches my shoulder to comfort me. His touch really is different from other's. Instead of panic, calmness washes over me and at the same time I have this warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Is this what it's like to be in love?

"You can choose the next ride" he says. "What do you want to do?" I look around and again spot the rollercoaster from before. I point at it.

"That one!" Yongguk looks at me as if his soul had just left him.

"This is a bit... how should I say it...? High? Dangerous?" He struggles to find the words.

"You made me go in there, so now you have to come along with me to ride that!" I say and smile devilishly. The rollercoaster in question looks really exciting, with a lot of loopings and turns. It isn't called "Hell's Ride" for no reason...

Yongguk ends up accompanying me on that, and this time it's him who screams and holds onto me. At first, he just takes my hand and I barely notice, but next thing I know, he is clutching my arm and screaming out his lungs in an unusually high tone. When we are on safe land again, his knees are still shivering and he won't let go of my hand, or else he would have probably fallen to the ground within seconds. It's not that I don't enjoy holding his hand, but it makes me incredibly nervous. After all, I've never held hands like this before.

We decide to leave and grab a bite to eat on the way home. Yongguk suggests coming over to his place in order to have dinner, but I hesitate.

"I don't know if that's a good idea..." I voice my concern.

"Are you afraid I'll do something to you?" he asks and laughs. Then he adds more seriously, "I won't do anything, don't worry." In his eyes I find trustworthiness and I make my decision. We buy some noodles on the streets and then go to his apartment.

"You live alone?" I ask upon entering and taking off my shoes. He nods.

"Yeah. Come here, Y/N!" I go over to him, to a small living room, where we sit on the sofa and enjoy our meal.

"But you know?" Yongguk says after having finished. "You're a lot less shy than expected."

"Yeah, I'm also surprised" I agree and laugh. "I just feel really comfortable when I'm with you." He sighs.

"What did I say about lines like these?" Our eyes meet and I want to apologize, but my mouth won't even open. I feel like his stare is paralyzing me, but at the same time, it doesn't even feel bad. Instead, I suddenly become excited, but my body still won't move. I can't even do anything when he leans forward, though this time I'm actually glad I can't escape in the last second. His lips lock with mine and one of his hands wanders behind my head, where it supports my neck and slightly tilts my face upwards. We part for just a moment, until my brain finally allows me to move again and I kiss him once more. This time, I can sense his tongue my upper lip and then invading my mouth, where it meets mine. Both Yongguk and I tilt our heads more to the side to deepen the kiss further, and then part again.

"So you actually do want me to touch you..." he remarks cheekily and one corner of his mouth rises up. I look down shyly and unconsciously my own lips. "Ah... you really can't do that, Y/N..." he says and lifts up my chin with his hand. His face comes closer again and I shut my eyes, with the moments in between this and feeling his lips on mine for a third time being absolute torture. We engage in deeper kissing, becoming more passionate by the second. He softly pushes me backwards to make me lie down on the sofa and with him leaning over me, he starts rolling up his shirt. That's when an emergency switch flips within me.

"Yongguk!" I stop him with my hands. "I think this might be going too fast..." He looks at me blankly and full of disappointment for an instant, then he nods.

"I understand, sorry." He crawls back to his original position and I sit back up, ruffling through my slightly messed up hair.

"Don't be. I'm the one who should apologize. I wanted too much."

"So did I. We really should wait, if you're not ready to go any further."

I just nod and get a really bad feeling all of a sudden. 

"Hey, why not just talk? I mean, we barely know anything about each other" Yongguk proposes and a look into his face washes away all negative thoughts. 

"Okay, then... you start!" I say.

"I... um..." he doesn't seem to know what exactly to tell me, so I decide to ask a question.

"Where do you work?"

"...I" At first is looks like he already feared I would ask that, but then he says it anyways. "You probably won't like this, but... I'm part of an underground gang" Yongguk admits, to which jump up.

"A real gang? Like, where there are only the bad boys? With guns and lots of money and stuff?" I talk like a waterfall. Well, how couldn't I when I'm this excited?

"Yeah, but you... you like it?"

"Of course I like it! That's really cool! What kind of stuff do you do?" I ask. My enthusiasm cannot be stopped anymore.

"We... do pretty bad stuff, you know." He still seems to be a bit perplexed at my reaction and unsure whether to go into detail or not, but I pry deeper and he finally tells me. "We usually just mug people for money, you know? But there's this person, who has his own gang, and they're in the way. So we soon have a mission where we try to... get rid of that man" he explains.

"Oh, that sounds so exciting! Can I come along?"

"You're kidding, right?"

"No! Why would I be? I always wanted to do something like that!" I jump to the middle of the room where I pretend to hold a gun and to ward off an enemy. Yongguk can't help but smile at my sudden silliness. 

"I don't think it's a good idea to bring you along. It's dangerous." I return to him and sit down close to him.

"Please! I swear, I won't get you into any trouble!" I beg and try the puppy eyes as well.

"But you will be in danger, because you're not used to it..." He still tries to convince me otherwise, but he doesn't know yet that there's no stopping me as soon as I have set my mind to something - well, something non-social at least...

"I know how to shoot a gun, you know! So I can protect myself!" I assure and come even closer to him, until he sighs.

"Okay... I'll talk to our leader" he finally gives in. "But you have to promise me to take care of yourself!"

"Yes, I will!" I nod frantically and salute. He just smiles at my sudden hyperactiveness.

"Do you mind if I give you another kiss?" Yongguk then asks out of the blue.

"I- I don't mind..." I stutter, regaining my shyness. He leans in, but instead of the mouth, his lips lightly touch my forehead and press a loving kiss on it. My face heats up on the spot.

"You're adorable, you know?" he says and I blush even more as he embraces me.

"Don't say that, it's embarrassing..." I mutter against his beating chest.

----------

Soooooooooooo I'll end this here and split this chapter as well... didn't think it'd get that long ^^"

Anyways, how did you like it? As always, thanks for reading! :3