REUNITED

The Last Hope

 

 

 

Siwon looked at the fish  in a large aquarium ...swaying, moving beautifully... as if to show off its elegance and beauty. Im Yoona who was sitting beside him, gently rubbing his stiff shoulders  .

"I don't see any reason why Minho  rejected this party. He was too fond of eomma to upset her. "

"I know." Murmured Siwon

"So what are you thinking about now? I know your eyes staring at the aquarium but your thought anywhere. Do not you want to talk it with me? "

"Sister Suli seemed can't  come. It's been 13 days since I left a letter for her, and the hospital had promised to call me within a week. But up to now there is no news . Might be Sister Sulli  was never back to the island, she disappeared along with her son. "

"Come on, yeobo  ... .. we've tried, right? Dr. Kwon has explained that it's likely Sulli wouldn't go back there. It's for hiding a lot of bitter memories for her. The burden of family's problems on her shoulders quite heavy. And the girl was certainly made her shackled. "

" That little girl …. "Siwon divert his eyes from the bowl to his wife," I think the biggest reason of her absence. I think, she's very similar to Sister Sulli ... she's just like her mother. "

Im Yoona nodded.

"Yes, even ... anyone who first saw her would know that they're related blood."

Siwon nodded. His memory drifted in those days ... with the last hope he had,   he visited Jeju to ask for help from Sulli, the nurse who had cared Minho in the island. In order to help his brother to be back in his spirit. The last hope was failed.

'

Flash back

Jeju sky was dark grey. A layer of thick snow like a white blanket that covering almost the entire surface of the earth,  seemed to confirm that the air was not friendly. Too cold to roam in the open air, although a thick coat covering the body.

Siwon staggered . His shoes sank into a layer of snow that covering the road to the grim hospital  . It made the pace of his steps were not as fast and agile as usual.

Entering the door of the hospital Dr. Kwon greeted her with a friendly smile.

"Mr. Choi, good to see you back. How's Minho? "

"Dr. Kwon! "

Siwon shook his hands warmly , welcoming his hospitality  .

"It looks like Seoul  air isn't good for him." And he replied gloomily.

"Oh? I thought back to the middle of his family would accelerate his recovery from the trauma. Is Your arrival here has something to do with it? "

" More and less. Thus I came here to talk about it. "

"Oh, then let's discuss it in my office ."

A few minutes after a serious conversation, Siwon was disappointed with the reality. His eyes closed for a moment, sighed in despair.

"Sulli , went out of  this island a week ago. We ourselves were not sure with the reason and the purpose of her departure. We didn't even know for how long .... I'm sorry, we can't help any further. "

Siwon sighed desperately... as if to throw the disappointment that struck in his heart. The last hope was gone. Someone... the only one he expected to help  his brother was not there  . She went  and nobody know her existence.

"But Mr. Choi, I promise I will send you a news when Sulli come. Maybe I'll give her a recommendation to be willing to visit your home."

" Yes, I understand. I had thought that Sulli would be stuck on this island because of somebody... her husband or family...I didn't think she leave this island. "

"Actually, She's out and brought the only family."

" You mean ?"

"Choi Yoo Jung. She left the Island with Yoo Jung ... "

"Who's Yoo Jung?" Siwon looked at the doctor in front of him with the eyes of wonder, "Is it true  ... that Sulli was married? Do you mean her husband who brought her out of the Island? "

"Choi Yoo Jung was a little girl, Mr. Choi. "Doctor Kwon smiled," It's a long story ... "

"Well, I had nearly a full day if it was enough to talk everything."

And the conversation continues. Doctor Kwon open her past... the whole story of her family, and several times Siwon was struck with the bitterness by the bitterness that Sulli ever experienced  .

End of Flash Back

 

'

"But luckily, we have something that might be able to recover your brother's spirits . I've bought this to be a surprise gift for him. Look! "

Im Yoona raised a black leather book which had tied a red ribbon on . Siwon's eyebrows lifted, didn't understand its meaning.

" That is ….  Minho's book has given doctor  Kwon, isn't it? "

"Yes, Minho left this book  at the hospital. It contains his heart expression during his days in Jeju. Who knows   he would feel the same spirit if  saw this book again,. "

" Or vice versa…."

"Maybe, but it couldn't hurt anybody  to try. Aren't you agree if I made this book as a surprise gift for him? "

"We have to try the possibilities even it's just a little chance , dear. ''

                                    Image result for choi minho sad

 

Minho pov

December has been running.

Trees have lost their leaves, they're covered by the snow-white blob. As the winter in previous years ... the weather in Seoul was biting hard. But for me this year is harder and colder than in previous years. More silent and lonely.

Last year, December was always greeted with enthusiasm and high expectations, but now it looks just a blur.

Someone knocked on the door . Mrs. Jang, the nanny  brings gifts and put them in one corner of my room.Tomorrow is the 26th my birthday party . It should be full of beautiful dream and passion to catch a splendid future.

But... is it still possible for me? sweet dreams and hopes?

It seems that on the day when my legs cut off, I have erased all the hopes and dreams in my future. Yes, without being able to be rejected ... now I just see them as all my dream in the past. The dreams were ended before I could touch them.

In fact, Suzy who previously promised to knit her dreams and hopes with me ... now is somewhere in Seoul. Suzy, the only girl I loved since college ... I ever dreamed, I hope she would be my wife, now married to someone else.

"Tomorrow eomma will  arrange a birthday party for you."

Eomma always try to push my spirit up every time. A mother seems will be doing anything for her son ...

Before my day comes, I have asked her many times for not celebrating anything for me. What should be celebrated in my life? My failure? My helplessness?

"Tell anyone  you want invite, Minho. It's several names of your friend, but check them back ... perhaps there are someone missed ... "

"Eomma ..."

"Nothing has changed in you, my son. Nothing can change you in my eyes ... whatever it is. Eomma want your happiness  and eomma know you.. the most happiness you need will be there... your friends . "

"But eomma ...."

"Listen Minho, I just have two sons ... you and Siwon. Do I too demanding if I wanted to see your smile back? Is this too fancy , to fullfill my demand for you? Or too difficult for you ? "

I was speechless.

It's useless to talk about my heart, nobody would understand me ... what I felt, what I feared of and wanted.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder ...eomma's hand, gently rubbing my shoulders as if to get rid of the dust that stuck to my shirt.

"Listen, my son. Life has its own way. Life will take you on one point that you yourself can not understand. So do not ever lose out on something unnecessary. Make sure,  talk and hang out with your friends will put  everything back into yourself. Do it for me, take a look at this invitation list. And you can add or remove any names from the list ... whom good for you. "

After my hair for moment, eomma then leave.

I walk into the backyard, there is a well maintained garden. The place where I spent my days lately. Slowly I sit in an iron chair , my favorite part of this garden for a few weeks  .

Reluctantly, I check the list of names written in invitation draft .

Wow !! This is not a simple birthday party ... but a big party with not less than one hundred people will be there.

End of Pov

 

Choi Minho took a deep breath, then exhale slowly.

"I may lose my future, but eomma must not lose her dream. I will try to follow her wishes, although it was very scary for me .... "

Yes, for a Choi Minho to face  his birthday now like to build a monumental dark milestone in his life. Like to build a barrier between perfection and imperfection .... And of course it was scary, realized starting from now to next years... perfection is just a dream for him.With glazed eyes he looked at a sheet of paper containing a list of names in his hand. Lazy to examine one by one finally he  folded it back .... Without realizing there is a name tucked among the guests, a name that might be could change his surrenderness.

Image result for birthday party crowd  korea

 

Minho's Birthday Party

 

The laughter.

The jokes.

The excitement.

All Clearly displayed on  the air.

Irony indeed .... who's partied and who is feted?

Who laughs .... and who is silently crying?

Maybe these matters out of the guests's eyes who were invited to  Choi's family home. Maybe they have been satisfied with a broad smile or a fake laugh of  Minho's while welcoming them politely . Or maybe it's just a sign of how other people really didn't care  someone's feelings ... they didn't want to read the real situation  they just could read  outwardly.
But in the middle-aged woman's eyes  who was standing  between Siwon and his wife , clearly ...  there is a pair of eyes that  looks   empty and dispirited . A pair of eyes that trying to hide the pain inside , silently.

Choi Minho's eye.

Related imageRelated imageRelated image
,
"Eomma ..." Siwon talked to  his mother whose  eyes filled with tears.

"I am failed, Siwon ...."

"Eomma... be patient." Siwon replied quickly , his hands pulled her closer, "Yoona, accompany eomma a moment please. I'll go to Minho first."

With long strides, Siwon go to his brother who's seen sitting in a corner , alone ... the place has just a little lighting. At first glance he already knew that his brother didn't like being there, among his guest... in the crowd.  Minho is  unhappy with the party, he wanted to hide himself from some attention that might be existed.

One part of Siwon's heart ached when comparing his brother in the past and now ... very different. Before the accident that broke his leg, Choi Minho was always  stunning at every party he visited, he always put himself in the midst of his friends, and he really liked the rain of attention given them. He's very populer between them, actually.
 
Contrast indeed.

And it hurts everyone who loved him.

 

 

"I've been to Jeju Island last month to see doctor Kwon. He entrusted this for you. Anyway, happy birthday Minho."

Siwon handed him a box with red ribon on it , and embrace Minho warmly.

"I know it hurts, but I'm sure you'll get through. You are strong and you've got a valuable reason to keep fighting for your future. That's all that was said to you in Jeju Sulli sisters, is not it?"

Hearing the name of Sulli, Minho stunned. At first glance his eyes bright on ... but then dimmed back. All the changes in his face though a little, did not escape from Siwon's observation  . There is a sense of sadness gripped his heart, felt like a failure brother who was unable to bring the last person whom his brother expected   ... failled to bring Sister Sulli for his brother... before his birthday.

"Sulli ..." Minho murmured as if reminded again at the long periods in the bleak hospital in Jeju , along with a nurse who cared for him.

 

"God will replace her with something new. And whatever it is... might be the best for you " he said before giving a gentle pats on his shoulder  and go.

'

Minho saw his brother, then walks out of the crowd party.

It may be true, God will replace her by someone new. But are there anything  can replace his leg? Even if there are, it will never be perfect as before. He had lost his fiancee, he had lost his dream....

"There will never be perfect ...."

Minho sighed, a tear dropped onto the black diary in his hand . The noise of the party from the main room sounded faint, propagating in the freezing air of December ... that was felt in the garden  where he is now sitting alone. His fingers stiffed, but he would not  back into the main room to join with his guests.

"December is always like this every year,  but why this December, the snows was biting hard and smothering my lungs?"

Slowly his long fingers rubbed the cover of black diary had given Sister Sulli when he's in Jeju , there is the deep pain  scratched in his chest.

Choi Minho closed his eyes, imagining back the moments... the gentle touch of her fingers ...her voice... her lullaby song...her gentle smile that always graced her beautiful face. Although only in the shadow of his dreams, that smile  transmited the warmth inside him. The warmth that never gotten any longer,  since his foot set on Seoul.

"I missed that days... the days with you, Sister Sulli. there was no fear of anything while I was on your side. Everything looked so easy to go, it all looked would be fine being footless. I wish you were here ... if God would bring it back to me? "

 

 

"Saeng il ...  chuka hamnida...saeng-il chuka hamnida ..."

 

 

A clear and soft rhythmic of sound made his big eyes  opened wide.

He turned toward the sound source.

Stunned.

Amazed.

 

"Saranghaneun Minho ui ... saeng-il chuka hamnida"

 

Choi Minho unconsciously rose from his seat, walked toward the voice . Half hoping that what he heard was the wind .... filled with fear that what he saw was an illusion. The closer, he became convinced that the figure in front of him is exist. The voice He heard is real.

After standing in front of her, he slowly kneeled down. Trying to align his views with a pairs of lovely clear eyes that look gleamed in the lamplight. His pores shudder, but he tried to suppress the horror that emerged , slowly.

"Who are you?" his voice shaking.

"Yoo Jung imnida!"

"Yoo Jung? How .... how could you be here?"

Slowly Minho's hands raised and touching her smooth hair , a little girl who's standing in front of him. The girl whose half of her face full of scarred ... and he has wondered about the little girl's  in his heart.

 

"Who is this little girl? Why is he in my garden? Who's daughter is He? Why have I never seen her before? And why is the face of this little girl is broken? She must have been a cute girl, before her face was broken. Definitely like that , I was could hear the cuteness and innocence of her voice , soft and pure ... "

"I brought her here, Mr. Minho."

... !!!

Minho's heart seemed to stop beating for moment and then beat again...harder .... and thumping crazily.

That voice sounds ....

He turned quickly, without being aware of his physical condition. But the sudden movement  made him imbalance . The woman's figure immediately appeared and tried to hold his body to fall down. A tall and slender silhouette of a woman, who was standing in the shade of the tree, now attached to his body. Warm and gentle.

 

"Be careful Mr. Minho!" The woman helped him up again, "Let me help you ..."

 

He gently tried to stand up, holding the crutch often accompanied him everywhere. After he stood steady again, he looked down at her face.

"Sister Sulli .... ??" Minho voice trembled but gentle.

He was surprised .. disbelief in his own eyes .... but there is excitement ... sadness ... longed ... all forms of mixed emotions on his chest, then spilled out in his voice when he mentions her name. And it came to the ears of Sulli clearly.

Sulli slowly raised her eyes. She was looking for a big  of Choi Minho. The eyes that She has been missed for weeks. During her journey of eyes, She could see the whole picture of the wounds and the sadness in his face. The face that made her leave her homeland to freed the love she felt for him. The man who ever laughed and cried together with her.

His chin and jaw sculpted hard .... maybe it's because of disappointment that forged him when he arrived in Seoul? His cheeks looked gaunt .... probably because pride scratch ... exhausted after facing the reality of life in Seoul? She heard everything from doctor Kwon ... he lost his fiancé, he lost his self-esteem, he lost his spirit.

And his eyes ... a blank and the distance eyes .... The eyes that made her chest tightened.

"Oh my God .... Mr. Choi Siwon was true, Mr. Minho did not feel the happiness on his birthday. He has lost his life expectancy. ...." Sulli thoughtfully .

Doubtly, She raised her hand and putting her fingers in his teary eyes .... moved into his sunken cheeks . Stop right there, as if giving warmth of her skin on his cold skin.

"Sulli ...."

"Happy birthday ..." Her voice was hoarse but smiling

Sulli tried to smile, despite the sadness strangle . And She couldn't hold back the tears any longer when his fingers cupped in her fingers ... brought to his lips and he kiss her palm. Softy. Warmly.

 

 

 

FIN

 

Sorry for the late update... it's my thight schedule. Enjoyed it :))