Part Four

Wildest Dreams

It had been a few days since that rooftop date, and Wonho hadn’t texted me. I didn’t know if I had to do it first, but it was getting me worried over his last words. When he never said anything else besides them, when he dropped me off that night. I wished he had. I was confused, worried, and hurt that he never explained.

 

My life was back to normal. I helped my dad, I went to see Hyunwoo, and some of my other friends. My life was back to its boring days. I sighed getting up, and made my way to the kitchen to make myself breakfast. I decided to stay simple and cooked myself some eggs, because I wasn’t feeling that hungry. I was planning to go back to the beach with Hyunwoo later on, because we heard it would be a bit windy so it would allow us to lie on the stand without feeling too hot. I jumped quickly in the shower, and dressed myself with cosy clothes : a simple black shirt with beige shorts. I checked my phone one last time, sighed again, and put it in my bag, deciding to forget about it for the day. I didn’t want my summer to get sad just because of a jerk who played with my feelings.

My guess was that Wonho made a bet with his friends that he could seduce me and made me kiss him. I was pretty sure I was right, because why else would he get close to me in the first place ?

 

I arrived at the beach one hour later, and spotted Hyunwoo with a bit of difficulty. There was already quite a few people on the sand, even if it was still early. We weren’t the only ones who got that idea.

 

“- Hey, I said, spreading out my towel on the sand.

- How are ya ?” my friend asked, not really waiting for an answer.

 

We laid down for a few hours, without really talking about anything. We weren’t much talkers, but I had too much in my mind and he noticed it.

 

“- Okay Hyungwon, I’ve been ignoring your mumbling for the past hour, but it’s getting on my nerves. Do you want to talk about it ?

- Hyunwoo ?

- Yes ?

- Have you ever dated someone ? the question must had taken him aback because he took a few seconds to answer.

- No, but I was close, one time, he paused, and continued after noticing my staring. She was that gorgeous student working for the school library. She noticed me reading a book she had already finished, and we started talking. I really liked her, and I would have asked her out if another guy didn’t beat me in time.”

 

I nodded, surprised. He had never talked about it, so I didn’t know - but it seemed like it still hurted him, so I didn’t dare asking anything.

 

“- Why are you asking that though ?

- It’s just… I met someone, we kissed and all, but he hasn’t contacted me for a week.

- He ?

- Yeah… That person appears to me a “he”.

- Oh, okay. Well first of all, did you say anything that could have pissed him off ?

- Not that I reckon.”

 

I could see he was confused as well.

 

“- I really don’t know, Hyungwon. Have you tried texting him ?

- No, I… I didn’t want to appear desperate.

- Text him.”

 

I stared at him for a few seconds, before pulling out my phone. I was about to text him when my phone buzzed in my hand, displaying his name on the screen.

 

I need to see you.

 

“- Well ?

- It’s Wonho. He wants to see me.

- Wonho ? Wait, is that your guy ? Did you make out with Wonho, that jerk who made fun of us all year ?

- I guess I have a lot of explaining to do, right ?

- Yes, he sighed, but go. Don’t make him wait.”

 

I thanked him, full of gratitude towards my best friend. He meant a lot to me. I grabbed my car keys in my bag and made my way toward the vehicle. I texted Wonho back, asking where we should meet up, and drove all the way to the building we last saw each other. I saw him as soon as my eyes became accustomed to the brightness of the sun shining upon us.

 

“- Wonho ?”

 

Startled, he turned to me, his eyes red and puffy. I could see he had cried, and I didn’t know why. Not sure I wanted to know, though.

 

“- What happened ? I still asked, worried. Why did you want to see me ?

- I’m going away.

- What ? Wait, where ? For how long ?

- We need to stop seeing each other. It’s not right. And I don’t want you to know where I’m going.

- Was it all a lie ?”

 

I was sobbing by that time of our conversation.

 

“- I just have one question. Do you like me ? Or was it all a lie ? Was it a dare you had with your friends to break my heart and make fun of me again ?

- Yes.”

 

I didn’t know to which question he answered, but in my unconfident heart, I knew it was to the dare question.

He was walking away now, and I couldn’t stop him. I knew he wouldn’t stay, because it was all a lie, and I was crying, and he was too.

 

“- Wonho…”

 

He stopped, still showing his back to me. He didn’t want me to see him crying, and I didn’t even know why he was crying in the first place.

 

“- I’m sorry.”

 

And then he was gone, leaving the ghost of a perfect summer behind him. I could still smell his scent, his deodorant mixed with a strong smell of the sea, and I was sure that if I held out my hand in front of me, I would be able to grab him, to make him stay.
But he was already gone.

And with him, all my dreams of finally trusting someone.

 

I stayed on that rooftop for about one hour, before making my way to my house. My cheeks were wet, but I stopped crying minutes ago. I opened my mail box, checking if there was any important stuff in there, and found a letter written to me. I didn’t recognize the handwriting, so as soon as I got in my bedroom, I opened the letter.

 

And as I read those words, my heart broke into million of pieces, all shattered on the floor in front of me, and my tears started to fall again.


Please remember me. And this summer. Don’t forget us, and wait for me.