Part One

Wildest Dreams

A teenager’s summer, heat and sweat mixed with love and recklessness - just what I needed after this stressful final year of high school. I didn’t really have anything planned at the beginning - just hanging out with my nerdy friends and help my father with his jam business.

 

Nothing very excited, actually, but pretty relaxing, and that’s what mattered.

 

That’s what was going through my mind when my eyes were desperately staring at my smoking dumb old car that had the nerve of breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Of course it had to be on a road no one ever takes. And of course my phone ran out of battery a few minutes ago. How lucky of me.

I was only going home after a perfect little afternoon at my friend Hyunwoo’s where we played games and ate so many popcorns that we both felt sick at the end of our happy little time. I didn’t bring my charger to prevent my phone from dying, and here I was, cooking under the hot sun of a summer afternoon in the middle of nowhere.

 

A few hours had passed, and luckily enough for me, I had brought two bottles of water so I wasn’t dehydrating. I was losing hope though, and I was about to start walking to the nearest village that was about seven kilometers from where I was, when a red modern car arrived in my direction. Jumping on the road to make the car stop, I was regaining hope of not having to walk several hours under that burning sun. The car did parked next to my poor car, and the owner opened their door and jumped out of the machine and… Oh, me ! Why was I so unlucky today ? Why did it have to be him ?

 

Shin Hoseok. Or Wonho, for short. The most popular bastard in the entire town schools.

 

I grunted when our eyes locked, and crossed my arms on my not-very-muscular chest.

 

“- Hey darling, he sang with a smile. D’you need any help here ?”

 

Rolling my eyes, I stopped myself from making any sarcastic remarks and simply answered with a “yes, that would be very nice of you, thank you” that nearly made me vomit all over his brand new shoes.

 

“- Jump in, but under one condition, he said with his common confident smile on his face.

- Which is ?

- Go to a party with me tonight.

- Excuse me ? I started laughing, convinced that he wasn’t serious. But apparently, he was.

- I was on my way to Jooheon’s party, and since I’m pretty sure you don’t have anything else planned tonight, I wanted to spice up your holidays, he explained nonchalantly, his horrible smile still glued on his lips.

- First of all, that’s very rude of you. Second of all, you’re still right, but thanks, I’m not a party guy.

- Okay, then enjoy your time here !”

 

My mind was going faster than ever when I saw him going back to his car and nearly leaving me alone again.

 

“- Wait ! I let out, realizing that not being a party guy was not something I should let take away my only chance of going home.

- Jump in.”

 

And there I was. In Wonho’s car. Going to a party with the one every knew in town, and about to meet his friends who I considered jerks as well.

This wasn’t going to end well from the start, but I planned to stay on the couch all night and play with my phone until it was a decent time for me to go home. I seriously didn’t need a party right now, but I couldn’t let my only hope of going home slip away from me.

 

Rock music was blasting out of Wonho’s car radio, which I didn’t mind. It was the only thing, with the growling sound of the engine, breaking the awkward silence between us. Wonho didn’t seem to mind - he was singing along and his signature smile was still on his lips. I let out a sigh, and fifteen minutes later, we arrived at Jooheon’s house. I waited for Wonho to make a move to close my eyes for a few seconds and mentally prepare myself for the hours that were coming.


I wasn’t ready.

 

Getting out of the car, we were welcomed by a muffled music sound that was coming from the house. Wonho’s eyes were on me, I could feel them burning my face - but I refused to let mine do the same on his. He smirked, and signed me to go after him. I followed him nonchalantly, and he opened the front door.

 

This is going to be a long night.

 

People were already smashed and high on whatever they smoked. This was not my idea of a good night, but this was my only chance of going home, since it was impossible for me to walk from this distance.

 

“- Hey, who let this loser come here ? I suddenly heard. That’s when I realized every eyes were on me. This was not a pleasant feeling, let me tell you.

- Me”, Wonho shouted back with laughter in his throat. Everyone laughed back, and I made my way to the bathroom to hide from embarrassment.

 

It hadn’t been five minutes since I entered the bathroom that I heard someone knocking - or hitting - on the door.

 

“- Hyungwon ? Come out, people are waiting.”

 

Wonho. Of course it had to be him. With a sigh, I finally went out, still not ready to face the party.

 

“- Hey, you okay ? he asked me gently, his eyes showing genuine worry. I didn’t know what to think.

- Uh, yes, yeah I am.

- I’m sorry if they made you uncomfortable. But hey, let me offer you a drink.”

 

I had no idea why he was suddenly so nice when he’d always been a jerk with me - but I could not let it pass. I had to make a benefit out of this situation, and I agreed for a drink.

Or maybe two.

 

I was completely smashed. And the worst thing was, I didn’t care.

 

I never drank a lot - I was the nerdy type, so I was never invited to those kinds of party. Of course I had beers before, but not vodka. And at that time, it seemed like the tastiest drink I’d ever had.

I was sitting on the couch alone, my drink in one hand and a goofy smile onto my lips. The people around me were as drunk as me, and high - though I didn’t smoke anything, I felt like I had. It was the best feeling of the world. I felt happy, as if everything disappeared : my worries, my problems… and my asociality, apparently, because as soon as Wonho appeared in my vision, I jumped out of the couch and ran to him.

 

“- Wonho, I called, running into his arms.

- Hey Hyungwon, he answered with a flirtatious wink. I could tell he was as drunk as me, maybe even more, because he hugged back.

- I’m drunk, I said with a silly little laugh, my eyes closing without me noticing.

- D’you mind if I take you outside ? It’s a little bit hot in here.

- Yay ! Stargazing !”

 

So that’s what we did - we went outside, sat down on one of the benches and he pulled out a cigarette. He offered me one, but I refused, feeling the alcohol kicking in with bad stomach cramps. Putting his arm around me, he pulled me closer to him and I could feel him shivering under the cold night breeze.

After a few minutes, and after he finished his cigarette, he suddenly turned to me, and his shiny big dark eyes studied my own figures. Closer, and closer, our faces were only a few centimeters apart when he decided the distance was too unbearable and glued our lips together. His were cold, but warmed mine with their movements. My heart was beating fast when his fingers ran through my soft blonde hair that I had dyed a few days before. His lips detached themselves from mines and went kissing my eyelids, my red cheeks, my neck, to return to my pink lips where smoke was escaping in this cold night. I knew it wasn’t a good idea to be making out with him, but it felt so right. I didn’t know if it was because of the alcohol or because I really wanted to, but I returned all of his gentle kisses. His tongue was playfully entering my mouth when we heard it, and jumped apart from each other.

 

“- Wonho !”

 

It was a cry of anger, desperation, and confusion. We both knew who it was, and I felt stupid forgetting about her.

Wonho’s girlfriend. Of course. He ran after her when she walked away, letting me alone, aware of every thing around me : how the tree branches danced along the music of the wind, the dull sounds of the steps people were taking around me, and how the cold temperature felt like needles on my hot cheeks.

 

I can’t believe I kissed him. I can’t believe this happened.