Trustworthy

Same Destiny

The last thing Sophie remembered was eating the piece of candy that Professor Pendragon had given her. Still feeling hazy from waking up, she tried to make sense of the environment around her. She was sleeping on a queen-sized bed; sunlight was hitting her face declaring that it was daytime, and her clothes had changed to a night gown. Sophie looked around the room. It was quite big, smaller than her own room back at the mansion, but good enough for one person. Also, there were - 

-knock knock---- 

Professor Pendragon entered the room. "Good morning chil- umph !" Sophie threw a pillow right at his face. "What a great throw from such a small one," She could hear the hint of sarcasm and irritability in his voice while walking towards her with the pillow now in his hands. "Now, what's with the early tantrum? I'm sure you're hungry now since you didn't get to eat anything yestarday. " He patted the top of her head. 

"I wonder why? Apparently someone who said he was not going to drug me, drugged me! " she scowled at him.

" now, now. I was only trying to test your judgement skills, and you sure failed that test."

"But you are a good person." Sophie spoke with confidence as she looked straight into Professor Pendragon's eyes to show him that she was serious. He was taken aback by her answer. 

"How are you so sure that I am a good person? I just drugged you," he smirked, pointing out the obvious. What he was unaware of was that he had already saved Sophie once before on the day she was getting harassed. Remembering that he didn't notice her, she replied, " well...you gave me a nice room and a big bed with lots of clothes." 

"You wouldn't think I wanted something in return?" He leaned in closer to her with a smugly look.

"Of course it's impolite to just free load off of someone. I have already decided to cook and clean in exchange for temporarily staying here." 

Professor Pendragon pulled Sophie into his arms. "My my, what a life you have lived so far to say these things at such a young age. Now, you can stay here as long as you want. I have no need for a maid anyway since I have a butler that's doing all the work already."

-knock knock

"Excuse me Howl, but you're gonna be late for school if you keep talking," said a slim man with dark red hair standing at the door. 

"Oh, that's right! Better get going." Howl started walking towards the door, " Now be a good little girl and stay in the house at the moment until I come back." Opening his smilling eyes, he saw a ready to go child standing next to him. " Eh? ..... What are you doing?" 

" What do you think? I'm going to school with you." Sophie had forgotten that she was now a little girl. The thought of missing school had never occured and she was not willing to mess up her perfect-attendance streak. 

" I don't think you would even cut out for a highschooler. How old are you anyways child?" 
Sophie looked down at herself. 'ah! I forgot!' " Umm... 12,13,14?" 

"Yoouu, you dont even know your own age?" Howl looked at her puzzledly.

" 13! I'm 13...." He was not convinced with such a doubtful voice. 

" Alright, may I ask for your name also?" Howl watched Sophie's eyes rolled back. She paused for a second to think of a name. 

" Sophie." She realized that there was no need to lie since she was sure that he wouldn't recognize who she was. 

" Are you suurreee that is your name?" he playfully . She glared back at him.

" I am sure. Now, let's go to school." 

" I will go to school. You will stay her and calcifer will watch over you." 

" ME, BOSS?! with a child? What a pain in my ." the red hair man was groaning behind his master. 

" Don't worry Calcifer. Just give her candy if she gets riled," he grinned at Sophie, referencing back to when he had drugged her. 

" I am going with you, and that is that." Howl looked at her with speaking for a split second. 

" What a determined child you are. For now, I cannot let you go as I am unsure if I can bring a child to work. I'll check with the school and if they allow me to, I'll bring you then. For now, be a good child and be nice to Calcifer. He's a nice fella." Howl patted her head once again, and Sophie did not refute back. Calcifer and Howl left Sophie's room. 
' Well, goodbye perfect attendance streak. It hasn't even been a year of college and you're already a yankee.' 

 

" Howl, why are you letting a child living in this house. That's very reckless of you." Calcifer was not fond of a stranger adruptly barging into his personal space.
" Don't fret, Calficer. She's nothing but a harmless child. And you know I have a soft spot for females, let alone children." 
" Umm... Master, I will have to refuse her staying here if that was your purpose for bringing her home." He never thought his master was into the lolita type.
" Calcifer. Your brain must not be fuctioning right. Would you like me to cool that head of yours down for you? " He smiled cheerfully at his servent. Calcifer quickly opened the door to the limo.
" No thank you sir. I think I regained my sanity just now. You have a great day Boss!" He watched the car drive off before heading back into the house. 

 

It was quiet like always in that house. Calcifer decided to head back and check up on the child to make sure she was not doing anything troubling. 
He knocked on the door twice and asked to come in. He heard an approval before opening the bed room door. Calcifer could only stand at the door. It seems his master had placed a barrier so that no one but himself could enter the child's room. " Miss Sophie. I will be busy doing household chores. Is there anything you need at this moment?" 

" Oh yes! I would be so bored just staying in this room all day. Does the master have a book for me to read perhaps?" Sophie looked eagerly at the red head. 

" Master Howl has a library room. He did ensure me to make sure that all your needs are met so I guess it is okay for you to enter that room." 

' Does that meanthere are rooms that I am not allowed to enter in this house then?' Sophie thought to herself. She follwed Calcifer down one side of the long twin stairs. Not quite a mansion like her home, but the place was still enormously spacious. They walked down a hallway until they entered a room that had shelfs stacked with books all the way up to the ceiling on all four walls. " This is amazing. It's like a section of the library was cut out." She looked around in awe.

" Pretty neat huh? Although I never seen Howl read these books. Must've been for interior design only. Anyways, I'll bring you a meal in a bit. You can stay here for now." 

Sophie smiled softly at the red head, " Thank you Calcifer." She then engaged herself into the books. 

' Oh no, she's starting to rub off on me. Snap out of it Calcifer!' He was not about to get soft-hearted for this child so soon.

 

 

Howl opened the door and entered his house. It was quite late when he came back home due to the school meeting. 
" Welcome back, Howl. " Calcifer greeted his master at the door. He took off Howl's coat and briefcase.

" Where is Sophie?" 

" She's been burrowing herself in the library room since you left this morning." 

"Is that so?" He changed route to head towards the library room. Entering, Howl examined the room for a while before he found the little girl which had fallen asleep behind the tall stacks of books surrounding her. Howl picked her up and brought her to her room. After tucking her in, he left the room quietly.

"So, Boss, what's with the late arrival today huh?" Calcifer asked while following his master to his room. 
Howl sighed deeply before answering, " With a potental war arriving, it seems that the headmaster is trying to pursuade us not to revolt against the Queen. He plans to restrict our powers by not allowing us to use magic at the university." 

" But that doesn't make sense. What is the point of having a magic class if you don't use magic. Oh the kids will not like this rule one bit, I tell you," hollered Calcifer.

Howl smirked, " Maybe that's the plan..." Howl did not speak no more and Calcifer knew to not engage with him anymore. He got the bath ready before leaving his master to ponder about the new changes of the school.