Chapter eight - Excuses

On My Way

Authors Note: 

Hi everyone (or if there is still anyone out there) 

So much has changed in reality since the last time I've posted. 

But I wrote some of this before that and my fantasy world lives on. 

I just wanted to put it here so it can exist somewhere else other than in my mind. 

 

If you are reading this, thank you so much.  

Wishing you all the best in 2021. 

************************************************************

Chapter eight

By the time Changmin and Yoona arrive at the entrance of Lotte world, it is already noon. As it is on any other Sunday, the place is bustling with people – teenagers, couples and families.

Lotte world is quite unique as an amusement park. It is situated in a high rise tower. Part of the park is indoors within the tower. Its entrance is found among the levels of shops and stores. The levels dedicated to the amusement park are painted in a style that makes you feel like you are walking inside a story book. It’s hard to be mistaken once you walk through this space. It is as if you are in a different land. You are slowly immersing yourself into this fantasy. 

Yoona stands outside the gates looking around the place in amazement. She is distracted by a mother and father holding onto their daughters hand as they walk gleefully along. The mother leans down and brushes the daughters stray fringe out of her face.

There is a tug in Yoona’s chest. But she keeps watching anyway.

Changmin looks on and sees Yoona’s expression. He feels his chest tighten a little. He heaves a sigh before walking toward her. In an attempt to distract her, he pats her on the head with the two tickets in hand.

He manages to catch a glimpse of the shine in her eyes before she looks down – avoiding his gaze.

“Sorry I took so long, there was a line so I went to the ticket machine.” He says apologetically and keeps his eyes on her. I shouldn’t have left you alone.

“That’s ok.” She looks up at him and smiles. There is still a trace of tears in her eyes. “Thanks for getting the tickets. I’ll wire you the money.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He says but stops suddenly and a grin forms on his face. “Or maybe we can claim it off hyung.”

She laughs at his joke.

“why are you laughing? I’m serious!” he jokes again and hands her the ticket.

“let’s go” he turns and heads to the ticket barriers.

Yoona rolls her eyes as his back is to her. But secretly inside, she is thankful that he was there to distract her.

As they enter the amusement park, the music gets louder and louder and it builds an excitement in Yoona’s chest. There is an expression of awe on her face as she takes in her surroundings. The ice rink is revealed on the level below as they walk further in and her smile widens.

“Haven’t you been here before?” Changmin asks curiously, catching her amazed expression.  

“No, it’s my first time.” She says, still in a daze. “We had a chance to come during school. I missed out because I was sick.” 

They are greeted by staff who are dressed in capes and costumes. The staff hand them both a map.

Changmin thanks them and turns to give one to Yoona. Just as Yoona reaches for the map, he hesitates. He looks at Yoona with a judging expression. Then he turns and hands the map back to the staff.

Yoona frowns. She is pulled out of her daze now.

“Wait… what?”

“The last time I checked, someone is very bad with maps and directions.” He makes a teasing face and continues walking.

Yoona gapes in awe. Then it strikes her that he was talking about the time she got lost in Japan. She runs to catch up to him.

“Hey! That was because the map was in Japanese” she says defensively as he looks down at her. Then she leans across him to reach for the map. But he switches hands and holds it out even further. When Yoona looks up at him, his expression is full of amusement.

“if you want a map so badly, you can go and ask for another one.”

Yoona retrieves her arm.

“Fine.” She turns and starts heading towards the staff that witnessed their exchange and are giggling at them. She frowns and keeps her head down as she walks. As the embarrassment builds, she bites her lip. After a few steps, she feels a grip on her wrist. She turns her head and finds Changmin’s hand wrapped around her wrist.  

“I was only joking. I’m sorry” He says, his voice rather sincere. And Yoona stance softens. She turns to face him. “what I meant to say was...I’ll be your guide for the day. So you won’t need a map.”

Yoona’s heart tingles at that moment. But she doesn’t show it. Pulling a straight face she asks in retaliation

“And why should I trust you?”

“because I’m good at maps. We rely on maps for our flight plans, remember?”

The realization dawns on Yoona.

 “Oh. Right. Just for a moment, I forgot you’re a pilot.” She smiles at him sheepishly. “Sorry.”

Changmin shakes his head amusedly. He turns and walks towards the view of the ice rink and leans on the railing. Yoona follows suit and watches the many skaters on the rink.

“You want to do that?”

Yoona quickly responds with a few shakes of her head.

“I can’t ice-skate.”

“It’s never too late to learn”  

“I’m scared of falling.” She shuts her eyes and shakes her head as if trying rid herself of the pain she just imagined.

“Not if-“

“So where are we going to first?” she cuts him off abruptly to avoid the subject. He takes out the map and takes a read.

“What rides did Noona mention to you?”

“They mentioned a roller coaster and pirate ship.” Yoona says while focusing on the map.

“It looks like there are quite a few roller coasters. But most of them are on Magic island which is outside. Maybe we could start there?”

“Okay” she agrees.

He leads her up a set up escalators. As they travel to the top of the escalators, the place gets brighter and brighter. The music grows louder boasting over the top of the hum of the crowd.

Yoona steps off the escalator and finds people walking around with snacks in hand, people wearing novelty headbands and others with cameras to capture the moments. She spots a group of girls with bean sprouts (hair clips) waving around at the top of their head. Yoona covers as a giggle erupts from her lips. She turns to find Changmin with an equally amused expression.

“You might want to consider your next Halloween costume.”
 She rolls her eyes and looks towards the top of the building. She finds the ceiling of frosted glass which has allowed natural light to flood in and light up the whole place.  On the lower ceiling there are what appear to be hot air balloons moving slowly around. The balloons are hanging from the top of the roof!

As she continues to look around, there are multiple sets of tracks probably for other rides.

She continues walking as Changmin follows her as they are both led ahead by Yoona’s excited heart.  Her eyes land the carousel settled among the dozens of stalls. Without realizing, Yoona walks closer towards it.

As they get close enough, Changmin could confirm where she was heading. Then she stops and turns on the spot. Their eyes meet and Yoona’s eyes are sparkling with a plea. The expression causes changmin’s heart to throb.

“Can we?” 

“We?” he asks in disbelief. But seeing her unwavering expression, he adds “No, absolutely not” he says with a half laugh, and tries to pull a serious expression but fails.

“Please?” she clasps her hands together.

Changmin uses a hand to cover his eyes and chuckles in defeat.

“Ok. But only once.” He says making sure she understands.

“YES!” She cheers and reaches out to pull his arm along. “Let’s go”

Changmin can do nothing but follow on.

As they are lining up, Changmin can’t help but notice the attention he has gained from a few onlookers. His height doesn’t help him go unnoticed in this kids ride.

But what could he do? It would be worth it if it keeps her happy. He looks at Yoona standing just beside him. She is engrossed in watching all the passengers already on the carousel. 

Changmin takes out his phone and takes a photo of her from the side. She doesn’t even notice.

“when was the last time you went to on a merry-go-round?” he asks curiously and as soon as he sees her thoughtful expression, he regrets asking the question.

“When I was younger, we went to a smaller amusement park as a family.” She says with a sad smile but her smile widens as she continues talking. “I always found it fun.”

“well I hope…” Before Changmin could say what he wanted, they were called upon by the staff.

As they step onto the carousel.

“What was it you wanted to say?”

“Oh nothing.” Changmin says as he brushes it off and walks towards a carriage. But Yoona chooses a horse instead, so he joins her on the neighbouring horse. Then he realises that his legs are too long to be comfortably seated.

He didn’t think it was that bad until he hears Yoona’s laugh from the horse next to him.

“HAHA! You look so funny” she teases

Changmin raises his eyebrows and gives her a look of warning. But that doesn’t stop Yoona.   

“Wait, wait” she says while pulling out her phone. “I have to do this” she says as she readies her camera.

He rolls his eyes but ends up making a ‘v’ with his fingers to match his very bored smile.

“Perfect!”

Changmin rolls his eyes and props his arm on the horses’ head. He rests his chin on his hand and sits quietly as the ride kicks off to a musical start.

On the other horse, Yoona tries to lighten up his boredom and makes exaggerated cheering expressions and stretches out her arms. In the end he cannot help but chuckle and shake his head.

And just like that the ride - that Changmin was not looking forward- had ended. It was rather bearable. In fact he didn’t mind whether people were throwing questionable looks. When the ride stops, he realises that more couples closer to their age had started lining up.

AS Yoona is about to dismount from her horse, he stops her.

“You want a photo?” he asks as he takes out his phone

“Yes please!” she says enthusiastically. 

“Smile” and she does just as his asks. For a moment as he looks at Yoona’s face on his screen, his heart flutters (not that he would like to admit).

“how is it?”

“are you questioning my photography skills?”

“That’s not what I –“

“Excuse me, if you could head to the exit please that would be greatly appreciated.” The staff member reminds the people behind them.

Changmin quickly takes Yoona’s wrist and leads her to the exit. As they reach the escalators to the next level (about 50 m or so from where they were), he realises that Yoona was being quiet.

When he turns, he sees Yoona who has a rather amused expression. Seeing that she now has his attention, she asks rather playfully

“Mr Shim, are you planning on letting go?”

He looks down at his hand that is holding onto her wrist. He lets go almost immediately and apologises.

Yoona laughs (secretly glad that he didn’t notice her slightly blushing cheeks).

“Where to next?” she asks breaking the silence.

“Where do you want to go?” Changmin asks

Yoona considers and looks at the growing lines in the area.

“Let’s go outside” she suggests.

Changmin leads the way up the escalators, leading to the other part of Lotte World.

***

As soon as they are through the doors leading to the outdoor world, they are welcomed by a chilly breeze – the remaining traces of winter. But that does not stop Yoona. The castle at the end of the bridge straight ahead catches her eyes straight away.

“it’s the castle!” she says, taking one quick look at Changmin, then running a few steps forward.

“Hey wait up”

“I haven’t seen it in real life” She turns back at him with a smile as bright as the daylight around her. 

“Do you want a photo?”

“Yes please” she runs to hand him her phone excitedly. She quickly runs back to the bridge and fixes her hair. “Tell me when you’re ready!” she calls out ecstatically.

Changmin can’t help but chuckle at her energy and takes the photo after counting aloud.

The next moment, Yoona is front of him looking at the photo.

She takes one close look then thanks him and walks off.

Changmin on the other hand was a little dazed.

“What?” She asks as he questions his surprised look.

“Don’t you need to take another one??”

“What? No? why?”

“It’s just that girls usually…”

“Oh!” she says with a cheeky grin on a face. “I know, you feel left out.” She teases. “Come over” she beckons, holding her phone up for a selfie.

He looks back at her in complete shock but he obliges anyway.

He runs to her and stands behind her, bending lower to fit into the frame.

“you’re so tall you’re covering the castle” she laughs  

He leans down closer to her even more.  He was now in such proximity he could smell the faint scent of shampoo in her hair and he is distracted for a split moment.

“Smile” she calls out enthusiastically and a gentle smile forms on his as another piece of memorabilia is saved to their photo gallery.  

***

As they reach the roller coaster, they realise that the expected wait time to get to the front of the line is about 1 hour.

“do you still want to go?” Changmin asks as the both of them try and track where the line was leading to – through the souvenir shop and out again.

“let’s go!” Yoona says eagerly, leading the way to the end of the line.

As they stand and wait, Yoona tucks her hands into her coat pockets. She bounces up and down on her feet, trying to get a better view of the progress of the line.

Changmin checks his watch and also checks the front of the line, but it doesn’t seem to be moving.

The rumbling sound of the roller coaster and the piercing sound screaming make them turn their heads towards the tracks.

Changmin and Yoona laugh together.

“That looks so fun” Changmin laughs

“I shouldn’t laugh” Yoona says but cannot stop herself.

“It’s ok to scream you know?” Changmin smiles amusedly at her

“Don’t worry I’m screaming alright.”

 Then they are silent again. Yoona looks around at different things to distract herself. Changmin does the same.

“When was the last time you went on a Roller Coaster?” Changmin asks, suddenly breaking the silence.

Yoona thinks a little.

“I think we were in Hong Kong last year, we went to Ocean Park. But I only got to go on the smaller roller coaster. You?”

“Kyuhyun, Minho and I were at Everland a few weeks ago for Kyuhyun’s sisters’ birthday.”

“Wow so recent” they both laugh a little and then it’s silent again.  

As time passes, Changmin notices out of the corner his eye that Yoona was pulling her coat closer to herself.

 “Hey Yoona, can you wait here for a moment?”

“What’s wrong?” she asks as he hops over the divider.

“I’ll be right back.” He promises as he walks away.

Yoona confusedly waits and stares at the castle to keep herself busy. Before she knows it, Changmin has returned.

He comes over with a bag of churros and rice cakes.

Yoona’s eyes gleam with anticipation.

“Thought you’d be hungry.”

“Just what I need, Thanks!” She says, already reaching straight for the food.

“better?”

“Hm?” She says, stuffed with rice cakes.

“It’s cold standing out here for so long.

“You’re right.” She says sheepishly. Spring hasn’t fully arrived yet.”

He passes her a serviette as he runs to dispose the rubbish and back.

“Pass me your hand”

Yoona frowns confusedly. She places her open palm hesitantly out in front of her.

He takes out something from his coat pocket and rests it in the centre of her palm. The heat of the warm pack immediately spreads through Yoona’s hand. She closes her hand over it.

She looks up at him and back at the warm pack, she smiles and says with the most sincere

“Thank you”

“You’re welcome” he says

 She sneaks a peek at him but cannot bring herself to look at him again  with the heat rushing to her cheeks. She can blame the harsh wind all she wants for reddening her cheeks. But she cannot find a blame for her racing heart.