Chapter 2- Unmet Promises

On My Way

Hi guys, 

HAHA *laughs nervously* 

It has been a LONG time. So sorry. I was so busy with Uni. 

Thank you so much to all my readers and subscribers. 

Felt like this update is long overdue. SO here it is. 

Hopefully it doesn't disappoint too much. 

So Fast Forward One year later

Hope you enjoy xX

Minyoung 

********************************************************************************

[Chapter 2]

Yoona smiles at how hyped up the young Acube intern (flight attendants) are of the news they are discussing inside one of the cafes of their headquarter complex. They watch as the 7 girls chatter while they wait for their turn in line.  She turns to Jessica beside her who raises an eye brow, blinks slowly and shrugs.

The girls are cute and lively – bringing back an energy that the girls themselves somehow have not exerted in quite a long time.

“I heard he is completely romantic” Namjoo sighs dreamily

“Well what he’s been doing is at least” Eunji adds

“What’s that?” Chorong curiously asks trying to catch up with what they are talking about. She looks up finding their two sunbaes behind and directly addresses them. “Unnie, have you heard of the new senior first officer [pilot rank status: second in charge after Captain] transferring from Japan base?” Jessica nods twice with a smile causing the girls to stand up from their table and flock to Yoona and Jessica. Yoona turns to Jessica in surprise. It turns out that she was mistaken in thinking her friend was just as clueless. She folds her arms and leans her weight on one leg while waiting for a response. 

“So…?” the excitement in the air is palpable. Yoona begins to wonder what would happen if they were to actually meet the person. “What do you know about him?” they chorus

“Well…” Jessica explains ignoring how Yoona lets her jaw drop in amazement or more – bemusement. “He is pretty good looking apparently”

“Oh my gosh even better” someone squeals

“And tall, so probably taller than all the other pilots?” she continues over the silenced squeals “He did begin in Seoul but he has been based in Japan because he heard some news about a person who is very important to him.”

“So it’s true he took half a year off just to find her?”

“Where did you hear that one dear?” Jessica herself is amused now at the accelerating speed of the information they received.

But Yoona has already tuned out

I’m also looking for a very important person to me” that person… he was the same as her. And there is a clenching feeling in her chest she cannot seem to get rid of just as she lets her thoughts wade in memory. It has been a year.

**************************

 

Yoona subconsciously breathes out heavily, looking down at her attire to see if there was anything out of place. She tucks her hair behind her ear and breathes once more before heading towards the line of sakura trees – a surreal display she questions whether there is such beauty in the world. The blooms of white and pink pastels reach up from the branches and form a perfect canopy to the lush green grass below. There are masses of people with cameras, an air of excitement in the atmosphere.

“he knew what I was talking about right?” she asks herself as she looks at her watch uncertainly. If she had charged her phone for that day, or even tried to remember her Japanese number and given it to him, life would have been much easier. Should I have told him more specifically? She starts to wonder.

“So thank you for guiding me.” She smiles sincerely – there is something in her tone that seems held back. She looks up once more at the tall man who stares back at her with his deep dark orbs. “Well… I guess, I’ll be going” she bows and is about to turn.

“I heard the sakura trees would are in full bloom around the second week of April this year. I hope I’ll be able to see you there.” Yoona turns slowly just slow enough to hide her enthusiasm.  She quickly counts the dates in her head

“I think I’ll be here on the 8th.” She says, making sure she is hiding her joy. 

“Where will I be able to see you again?”

“If you think about it… you should know” She smiles once more, it takes a few moments and a gentle smile spreads across his features.  He nods to Yoona who then slowly turns and walks away with a wide grin. 

“I’ll find you.” He calls out behind her over the splashing of the fountain water. She turns her head back in his direction once more, their eyes meet just like how it happened several hours ago when they first met. In the same place they met, they part with hope to find each other once again.

She spends most of the day among the line of trees reading a book she had brought with her and watching as tourists take their collage of memories home with them. She patiently wraps her coat around her as she watches the couples pass by in sweet whispers. But by the time the sun sets, there is only one more couple and no more pages in her book left unread. And turning at the sound of approaching footsteps, she sees a tall silhouette –she exhales with relief but immediately retracts it realising the man was not whom she was looking for. There is an immediate bitterness that leaks inside her. Finally resigning to gingerly standing up on her numb feet and sore legs that have yet to regain consciousness. In the end she removes the bookmark that was snugly residing in the comforts of the pages of her book, she locates the familiar ribbon tied the low branch and attaches the bookmark to it, its colour allowing to naturally camouflage with the sakura flowers. She should have known there is no such fate – how could he know from that? Her footsteps are heavy as she leaves but that weight is nothing compared to the compressing on her chest, a disappointment as the warnings and advice of Sooyoung and Tiffany flood her mind – that she is silly to believe the words of the guy whose phone number she never got (and she had forgotten to leave hers because her phone was out of battery and she couldn't remember her Japan phone number). There is no chance for something like that to happen they had warned and that she should be careful. And not to get her hopes too high. She now knows, the wisdom of their words, the truth of it and the impossibility of an exception existing. Yet Yoona is a stubborn person, there is a tiniest part of her silently, desperately clinging onto that fading ray of hope. 

“you don’t expect he’d really turn up, do you?”  they had asked cautiously as the two exchange worried looks, finally allowing her to go, knowing fully well about her and her beliefs of fate.

 Having made her promise to be careful, upon Yoona’s return to the hotel where her best friends were waiting, she responds to their expectant looks with a tired smile. They only gave silent comfort and hugs and swore not to bring the incident up again.

*************

“It’s a her?”

“I think I heard it’s his first love.” Eunji adds.

“Aww how charming” Naeun says dreamily making Yoona look up. He was too… She scolds herself for lingering on those avoided memories, biting the inside of her lip tightly.

“And he actually found her!” Hayoung exclaims. Yoona feels the normal joy she feels at such news spread rapidly through her insides and she smiles. But that smile soon fades when she thinks about how she is yet to find whom she is looking for.  

“Really?” some high notes are tinged with a little envy.

“Well, at least that’s what everyone has been saying.” Jessica shrugs casually.

Yoona waits until the girls all leave for training again.

“And how did you gather all that info this time?” Yoona asks her unnie Jessica,

 “Kyuhyun oppa.” She answers in a tone that suggests that the answer is obvious

“and you trust him?” the scepticism apparent in her voice 

“well not exactly. Especially how he makes a back story for everyone.”

“Like how Captain Jung trained in an entertainment company for 3 years?” the both laugh at their colleague’s amusing antics of telling stories

“I find it funny how the cadets and interns still often believe him.” Jessica laughs

***

The nine of them scan their passes as they enter the SMTOWN lobby. Only Sunny and Yuri are in uniform having just gotten off from their long haul flight from New York, the others are only coming in to check their newly released roster. Other than the morning starting off with an overcast sky, it seems there is nothing different about this day. They chatter relaxedly as they walk towards the office, exchanging greetings with the familiar faces that pass by.  It is only when they enter the main office that they realise that it is far from what would be an ordinary day. For the girls, for the pilots, the entire SM staff family and especially for Yoona.

There are a lot of colleagues gathered around the office today, mainly female. The roster-free pilots are also there. Soon, their CEO Mr Lee Soo Man announces his entrance, the chatter dying to silence as the footsteps coming down from the upstairs office echo through the building. Yoona taps Seohyun gently on the arm and tilts her head curiously. Seohyun only pouts her lips a little and shakes her head in return. But their questions are soon answered in the speech that their CEO has to make. Yoona takes the opportunity to take a peek at the notice board she is standing near, trying to locate a particular one, she is curious whether it would still be there since she had posted it over a year ago. It is a task that successfully distracts her from the beginning of the speech. Just as it starts, a few of the company’s captains, Yunho and Boa (or resident happiest married couple) follow down the stairs chatting and smiling with a new face. There is a mumble of voices at the new companion of the entering party.  

“I see that many of you caught onto this piece of news from one way or another” Mr Lee smiles while looking particularly at the young girls of from Acube who giggle. “I have a few announcements. Firstly, we will soon be preparing for recruiting, we will be launching a campaign like last time, and some of you may be selected to help in our preparations.”

Yoona finally finds the message she had left on the board, under a few other pieces of paper. The information just provided had sifted through her brain. A sudden tap from Hyoyeon startles her a little,

“hey that’s him” she whispers, poking her chin indicatively to the person now joining their Mr Lee Soo Man’s side.

“Who?” Yoona frowns cluelessly.

“Look” Hyoyeon urges her. And Yoona follows her instruction. Looking up towards the front where all the attention is.

“Finally, I would like to welcome back, Mr Shim Changmin” Yoona freezes. The male at the front who was just addressed smiles (earning a few hushed squeals here and there) and bows at the crowd. There is a warm rush in her arms and legs, but she fails to remove her eyes from the person whom was just addressed. His jet black hair, though in a different cut, it is unmistakable by those eyes.

“He’s a looker isn’t he?” Hyoyeon continues, without taking her eyes off their new colleague.

“I’m sure many of you already know him very well.  We are very fortunate to have Changmin join us again, having started off here and transferred to Japan, now he is transferring his home base back to Seoul. We are very glad for his decision, him being an outstanding professional. He will be resuming his post as senior first officer as of today, please give him a nice welcome.”

Everybody brings their hands together in loud cheers, all except one. Yoona is only gaining certainty that this is him, she finds that she cannot bring herself to move.

“I am not as great as what Mr Lee has said. I just do my job” he lets out a nervous laugh at the end and the crowd laugh along with him. “I’m glad to be back, I’m looking forward to working with you all, please treat me well.”

There is another round of applause which ends with Yunho raising his hand. As the noise dies down, Boa- their only female captain of SM airways- steps up announcing a rather exciting piece of news for the colleagues

“There is a party organised for tonight, as you may already know” there is a growing cheer which Yunho supresses by gesturing in his own commanding way. “so we can congratulate our leaving interns from Woollim airways and to also wish the boys well in their career ahead. Those who can make it, we will be at ‘Hopeful Soul’ from 6pm, those who can make it feel free to come.” She makes a final smile and thanks everyone while adjusting her suit. There are a few more announcements but none of it makes it through to Yoona.

At Lee Soo man’s dismissal, the crowd thins, and everybody returns to what they were previously occupied with. Yoona is staring blankly at the place where he was standing just a moment ago. Her friends gather in a circle and immediately start gossiping.

“that’s him right?” Taeyeon asks as she joins the group and leans back to look in the direction of the leaving colleague.

“the one who was looking for his first love right?” Sunny asks. Seohyun, noticing that her best friend was oddly unresponsive, gently taps her

“Yoona unnie?” Yoona immediately straightens up and looks at Seohyun, smiling at her

“yes?”

“You alright?” But before Yoona answers Seohyun’s questions, the ongoing conversation between her other best friends caught her attention

“He found her didn’t he?”

“He did” no wonder…  Yoona starts reeling with thoughts of sakura trees along the river bank and an abandoned bookmark.

“Unnie” Seohyun calls more firmly this time making sure that her friend is alright.

“I’m fine” Yoona answers absentmindedly. Seohyun takes a peek into her eyes, having not been convinced. Yoona manages a weak smile in an attempt to reassure Seohyun (and herself) .

***

Sooyoung, Jessica and Tiffany decide that they are welcome to walk into Yoona and Seohyun’s room without any invitation or consent. They had stored some of their dresses and accessories in the younger girls’ room. They find Seohyun and Yoona each sitting on their beds, pouring all their focus on the books they held. The three girls, already dressed in celebrative attire stop after taking a few steps after crossing the threshold.

Tiffany startles the girls, her loud voice ricocheting off the walls.

“Yah! What are you doing?” She asks with a hint of disbelief. The two younger ones look at each other blankly and look back at the three with their arms folded and hands on hips, and wait for them to explain.

“Aren’t you going to the party?” Jessica asks in response to their confused looks.

“I thought we agreed.” Tiffany says as a matter of fact, folding her arms across her chest mid-sentence.

“wait… what party?” Yoona puts her book down and looks confusedly at the three intruders.

“the party which we were all invited to?” Jessica says and takes the opportunity to stride in further and post herself at the end of Yoona’s bed.

“when did they say anything about a party?” Yoona asks in a lost voice.  

“We announced it over dinner a month ago and you agreed, besides you were right behind us when Boa unnie gave us a reminder about it today…” tiffany begins seriously, and was about to voice her concern.

 “They’re having a party for it?” Yoona asks “Isn’t he just a new member of staff?”

“Oh Yoona, you’re worrying me. It’s not a party for him, it’s the intern farewell party. They’re just celebrating his return as well.”

“… right…” Yoona finally manages to say. “and they need to celebrate his return because…”

“Well, actually Yoona, you probably didn’t catch the part when they introduced him, he trained here with Siwon, Donghae and that class, he was the top cadet apparently, then he transferred to Japan base probably a few months before we started training. He is very respected and now that he is back, people want to congratulate him. Besides, haven’t you heard about his romantic st—“ 

There an uncomfortable tugging feeling in Yoona’s chest at the end of Jessica’s explanation.

“Do we have to go unnie?” Seohyun cuts in and pleads for an exception with the cutest pout she can manage.

“OF course we have to! Seohyun ah it’s not a choice. We’ve always got to welcome good looking men into our family” Sooyoung jumps into answer the question, urging Tiffany to step aside so she can make her point. 

Seohyun gives a weird unsure expression. 

“Girls, let’s just hurry up and get dressed” Jessica removes one arm that was previously folded across her chest and gives a dramatic hand gesture indicating that it’s time to get up.

***

“Unnie, I’m not feeling well.” Yoona calls out as she lags behind her group of friends that are just heading straight for the entrance to the party venue.

“Are you ok?” Taeyeon immediately asks coming back to Yoona’s side.

“Where are you feeling unwell Yoona?” Yuri asks, concern leaking onto her face. Yoona quickly thinks and slaps her hand to her stomach just close enough to her lower abdomen. She bites her lip before she looks up at the concerned pair of eyes. Concerned, Yuri and Hyoyeon make their way to her side.

“Maybe we should take you home if you’re feeling unwell.” Hyoyeon comments as Sunny joins to give a closer look at Yoona’s face.

“Yoona ah, you’re so pale.” Sunny adds. And Yoona is secretly sorry because that was probably a result of the concern and worries of coming to the party.

“yeah we should take you home unnie” Seohyun says

“but we were going to have so much fun together…”  someone says sadly.

 “But Yoona, your monthly time was two weeks ago.” Sooyoung blurts out.

“doesn’t that make it more concerning? We should take her to the doctors.” Yuri suggests while ushering Yoona towards the kerb to hail a taxi. There is agreement among the group.

“I think it’s just probably something I ate.” Yoona speaks up so that she doesn’t ruin any of the other girls’ party moods. It is a more authentic answer because of the load she eats and it is a universally acknowledged fact among the girls.

“I think I’ll be fine if I just rest a little” Yoona says, hoping that they’d catch that she meant resting at home. But suddenly Tiffany has now got her arm wrapped around Yoona.

“So, let’s get her inside, we need to ask them for a cup of warm water, get her out of the cold. I have medicine from the headache I had earlier. She can rest there” Tiffany decides aloud without giving the chance for Yoona to find a second escape route.

Around half an hour later, Yoona is sitting on one of the comfy seats just opposite from the kitchen. To her relief, the attention on her has finally decreased from the eight of her closest friends down to a rotated shift of one friend watching over her at a time after she managed to convince them that she is feeling better. Yoona is left to listen to the sound of crockery clinking against each other, organising of cutlery, gentle clinks of wine glasses as the barista prepares and serves cocktails, wine and fine beverages to the familiar faces of colleagues who slowly drift in and fill the restaurant venue. They give enthusiastic greetings, and convey their concern which causes the tinge of guilt inside of her stomach to alight again. But her greatest concern – the one causing her to reluctantly yet frequently turn her neck towards the entrance and causing the distress inside has yet to arrive. Having most of the company staff accounted for (except those who were rostered) with only a few missing. She has a little glowing hope inside her that the star of the party may not arrive. Though on the otherside she has a burning anxiousness just to see him turn up.

Hyoyeon peeks at her to make sure that she is feeling alright. Yoona gives her a reassuring smile as she focuses back on the wafting aroma of rich cheese and Italian herbs in the air. It taunts her. She swallows, wishing she had made up a different excuse for she was already craving Italian food since the morning. Just then, there is strange activity near the entrance as Yunho and Boa announce the entrance of the interns as well as their friend as they accompany him in. 

Yoona turns her neck towards the direction where all the focus is on, Hyoyeon does the same. Just as she does so, she immediately regrets it as … his eyes find hers through everything else that his eyes could have landed on. And for a moment she almost forgets to turn away. Luckily she does in time to convince herself that it can pass by as nothing but a mere coincidence. Recovering from her sudden adrenaline triggering encounter, she turns back only to find that her unnie, Hyoyeon long gone, with her glass of champagne that Yoona was hoping to get a sip of. Her assumption is confirmed when she hears Hyoyeon’s voice and her other unnie’s voices among the excited chatter of the Acube interns drifting in from the entrance.

 ***

Changmin was listening to his best friends filling him in on events he had missed since the last time he had seen them before everything was cut short as they entered the party. He tries his best to hide how overwhelmed he is by this heated response to his return to where he first started as a cadet and then a commercial pilot. He was in the middle of laughing about a funny mishap that happened to their other best friend Minho as he reaches the dining hall of the restaurant. Other than the captivating scents from the kitchen, something else catches his attention.

His eyes land on a girl sitting alone across on the other end of the room. His eyes meet with a familiar pair of eyes. And his smile falters. There are many questions that start flooding his mind; most of them to do with questioning reality; questioning whether he was dreaming; questioning whether it really is her. And he believes he cannot be mistaken until she pulls her gaze away from his just as many females flock to him, breaking Kyuhyun’s conversation.

He is too busy to notice the weird way the females look at him –something that in normal circumstances would cause Changmin great discomfort. Because he did not notice nor did he need to ponder on why people were staring at him in a strange way.  Even when Minho wraps his arm around his shoulder and asks jokingly if they were talking about him, he seems unresponsive until Minho calls his name.

He gives everyone polite nods with a rather distracted smile.  Although Changmin attempts to politely address everyone and thank them for their warm welcome, he struggles to stop his thoughts from going astray in between introductions with colleagues. He tries edging away from the attention but realises that there is no possible escape from the spotlight. He wishes the company and his mates would have announced his return in a more subtle and comfortable way.

Throughout the night as Kyuhyun, Minho, Boa or Yunho lead him around the room, he tries to sneak glances to where his eyes first landed when he entered. But everytime all he manages to catch is the back with her flowing hair. He makes multiple attempts to excuse himself from all the socialising perhaps to find comfort, away from all the surveying eyes and perhaps to direct his way across to the other side of the room. Everytime he does howsoever, he ends up further away, meeting yet another keen colleague.

***  

Yoona stares at her lap as she unknowingly squeezes her fingers. Luckily Yoona had the distractions of colleagues she was familiar with, and the soon-to-leave interns whom she was conveying well wishes to. But throughout the whole night Yoona has not dared to turn her head around ever since… the little episode she is trying to forget. Her friends believe that she is avoiding looking at her empty plate because she is following their advice to avoid eating until her stomach eases. But some of them notice how she is awfully quiet since a while ago.

“Yoona, are you still feeling as bad?”

“I’m a lot better unnie,” she says with a smile that does not reach her cheeks.

“are you sure you don’t want to eat?” Sunny asks

“no, it’s fine, you’re right, I need to give my stomach some rest.” She smiles, glad that her hunger and glutton has subsided a little. She is too distracted to think of the ramen she has secretly decided to cook later on into the night when all her friends are asleep.

And they let her rest at the table as they drift off to mingle with their colleagues. She realises that her stomach is kind of upset this time, and the air seems to close in on her, so she decides to make her way towards the balcony for some fresh air. As she opens the door, the rush of cool night air tells her that she finally gets the solitude that she had been looking for ever since the morning. She is grateful for the way her friends took turns to accompany her throughout tonight and makes a silent promise to repay them in some way.

She props both elbows on the railing, and releases a long staggered sigh – a breath she seemed to have held back for a long time. Even without closing her eyes, she could somehow smell the sweet scent of sakura blossoms in the chilling breeze. Or perhaps it was just coming from the back of her mind especially since  the heart of Seoul is still well in its dormant winter state, unlike where those lines of trees await. Then there is a bitterness as the breeze touches her skin.

i’m also looking for someone very important to me” his voice echoes, unable to escape from her mind. Then it is clouded with words she recalls from the young girls. She is still for a long time.

they say he found her.”

“His first love”

 She manages a bitter smile.

“I guess he did find her” she says under her breath. “Unnie was right. what was I thinking?” She scoffs almost involuntarily. “Was I really hoping he’d turn up? that’s probably why he didn’t turn up last time.” She heaves a deep breath and exhales releasing a breath of fog in the air. “Better not interrupt someone’s elses’ happy story.” She swallows, blinking back the warm liquid forming in her eyes and the heavy feeling in her chest. “Im Yoona, it never happened.”

***

Finally, Changmin is granted the peace he had parted with since he entered the company office this morning. His best friends are no longer glued to his side - Kyuhyun going to the bar to get a bottle of vintage merlot and Minho is helping Yuri, his girlfriend, collect dessert. He takes the opportunity to glance in the direction of … he does not even know her name. Yet, all he finds are the girls that have been taking turns sitting next to her, and no sight of the very one who he is looking for.

He starts by taking steps towards the area for a closer look. He passes the group of girls and confirms for sure that she is not among the group. He manages to subtly do a round of the venue while being stopped three or four times for brief conversation. He checks her spot again, but she has still not returned. In the end, he decides that he should value his freedom and maybe go out for some fresh air.

Just as he reaches the door to the balcony, he freezes with one hand pressed against the glass door without applying any force to open it. He silently stares those doe like eyes gazing into the far distance with an unmistakable familiarity. ‘So it is her,’ he thinks in relief and almost smiles until he remembers the way their encounter played out earlier tonight.  He heaves a deep sigh. Before finally pushing the door open. She is undisturbed at first, until…

***

Perhaps, it is the way how fate likes to play with people. It likes setting pitfall traps on unsuspecting moments. And Yoona feels cheated by fate when she is pulled out of her thoughts by an unexpected voice. Unexpected, but one she knows pretty well from the way it replays in her memories from time to time.

“Excuse me,” he says in a soft whisper. He’s speaking Japanese. She looks up sharply. Her eyes widen upon confirming that it is who she thinks it is. But she doesn’t respond, not taking her eyes off his either; only waiting for him to continue.  “but do you…could you be…”

He thinks I’ve forgotten him. She swallows a lump in . He forgot about me first. We should leave what should have been forgotten, forgotten.

“my apologies but…” She replies in confident fluent Japanese that she picked up from a course she took in the last year. “I believe you’ve got the wrong person.” she says with an apologetic smile. Changmin continues staring at her eyes, searching for something within.

“Ahhh I see.” He says after a moment when Yoona steals a glance at his pensieve expression. Understanding blooms on his face. “I apologise.” He smiles politely and bows his head in apology.

She returns the favour and walks past him towards the door back to the party. Like what she had been doing for the whole night, she does not look back.

Changmin is left feeling vulnerable, watching the door close behind her.

He recalls the way he once sat next to a girl on the river bank under the invisible canopy created by sleeping trees. Not minding the coldness one bit. And she shares with him, the feelings of a girl who is searching for someone – the desperateness in searching and the hope of which the trip brings. There’s a strong sense of understanding within him.  He also tells her of how he is still looking for that person that’s important for him. He takes her to a row of trees – a comparatively less known spot for sakura and watches her tie a ribbon to the lowest branch to a particular tree. 

I’m looking for someone important to me, and this is one of my biggest hopes right now” her voice that is imprinted in the back of his mind says. The sentence that was etched atop of the memories of his constant search in the Tokyo streets in the past few months.

“Perhaps she did find him.” He smiles bitterly

Changmin found himself walking in a neighbourhood he only ever visited once, and it was with a girl – his only companion since his break from work which started one month earlier. He finds himself outside a house which they were once looking for. Except the occupants were on holiday last time. He walks closer, hoping to find any clues of her. Instead, a man emerges from the front door and comes out and collects mail. He smiles and nods at Changmin, acknowledging him. Changmin only manages to nod back after a few stray seconds.

“I guess it was him.” He swallows hoping to dilute the bitter taste in his mouth. In the end he sighs, “You better not then Shim Changmin, better not intrude in someone else’s happy story then. None of it ever happened.”

[Chapter 2 End]

 

photo credit Instagram via @snxy,

*************************************************************************************

SO if it was a little confusing for you guys, 

to sum it up: 

There are rumours around Yoona's company about a new colleague who has a romantic backstory about finding his first love whom he met in high school. According to the rumours, it is believed that the colleague ended up finding her. It turns out that that colleague was none other than Changmin. 

The same Changmin who Yoona believed to have understood the promise to meet back at the bank of Sakura trees. BUt he never showed up. 

putting two and two together, leads Yoona to believe that the reason he did not show up was because he found his first love and had forgotten all about their encounter. So when the two meet each other, Yoona refuses to acknowledge their shared past.

it turns out Changmin had been looking for Yoona back in Japan. Finally meeting her again, he is glad and approaches her. Contrary to his expectations of mutual anticipation to meet again, Yoona seems to prefer to deny it. Remembering one encounter he had when he was searching for her again at the same address she was looking for almost a year ago, he finds a man residing in the house. Putting her attitude together with his inferences, he believes that the important person Yoona was looking for was that man. And she had found him after all. 

Thanks guys, until next time 

Take care and Have fun!