Twists and Turns

"Caution", Mother Said, “Watch for the Wolf”

A/N: One more chapter. If this one reads weird well I'm sick and my brain feels like like my body feels like . I'll probably do a reread and a slight rewrite eventually. Maybe. But this chapter definitely took a different turn than originally planned. And jumping POVs between Jeonghan and Joshua. 


Seungcheol shook his head. “Don’t lie for him. You were probably just with him for a bit.”

Snapping at Seungcheol, Joshua said, “I was with him during the time Minkyung went missing! Right before the village roused everyone to look for her!”

Mr. Choi shouted, “This is a conversation for those involved! The village will be informed when we have new information on what happened! For now, go home and there’s safety in numbers!”

The villagers confused left the hall shuffling one by one. People whispered and stared at Jeonghan then Joshua and the Chois.

Joshua ignored it all staring down at Seungcheol’s dumb face wanting to smash it in with his fist. He was taking this too far trying to pin this on Jeonghan. All for the sake of what? Tradition? Or was he using Joshua to hide something?

“Let’s go into my office and talk,” Mr. Choi said. His face spoke volumes. He was shaken to say the least.

He tried to move forward but he was stopped. Looking to the side he saw his own dad’s grim face and the squeezing of his hand on Joshua’s shoulder. He stared at Joshua like he didn’t know him. No doubt when they got home another fight was going to happen. This time over the relationship he tried to hide.

His mom looked not at him but at Jeonghan. She stared at his back as he followed the Chois. It was like she wanted to decipher his very being by just looking at him. Or maybe she was looking for what attracted Joshua to him. No doubt she knew what they did that night. If anyone would figure it out without him telling it was his mom.


Mr. Choi sat in his chair facing all of them. Joshua sat in the middle sandwiched between his parents; his attempts at sitting with Jeonghan on the loveseat were dashed. His dad yanked him to sit down. Jeonghan’s eyes flashed a tad, and he gave a light growl, which if Joshua were next to him he’d give him a tiny smack for it but he wasn’t. Seungcheol sat on one of the chairs facing his father.

“Now let’s go over this again,” Mr. Choi said gently, “you’re saying you were with Jeonghan during the time Minkyung was supposed to have left, and up until the whole village went into chaos?”

“Yes,” Joshua replied bluntly, he shrugged off his dad’s hand as it tried to stop him from getting up. “I said it during the meeting and I’m saying it again. I was with him. For a good two hours. He can’t have kidnapped her.”

“He could’ve killed her when you weren’t together,” Seungcheol muttered quietly.

“When did she die?” Joshua snapped. He had enough of Seungcheol and him adding fuel to the fire.

“The doctor said she died last night. Around the time she went missing,” Mr. Choi explained, turning to Seungcheol he said, “so no he couldn’t have killed her Seungcheol.”

Jeonghan sat there quiet as a mouse, but his eyes moved to each speaker once before darting his eyes back to Joshua, as if he were watching to make sure nothing happened to him.

“I know you don’t lie Joshua. I’ll take your word on this. You swear that you were with Jeonghan last night during that time?” Mr. Choi looked at him critically.

“For the last time,” Joshua said exasperatedly, “yes I was. During the time, she disappeared until Mr. Shin woke up the whole village.”

“What were you doing with him?” His dad asked.

Joshua froze. Did his dad really not know? Did he have to spell it out for him? Dare he though. If word got out and it would inevitably get out things would get worse for Jeonghan. He opened his mouth for one lie but before he could say anything Jeonghan jumped in.

“What do you think he was doing with me?” Jeonghan flashed a smirk across his face. He watched as Joshua’s dad turned his gaze from Joshua to him.

Nearly growling his dad said, “That’s why I asked. I don’t know.”

He stood up and walked to Joshua, wrapping an arm around his waist. Joshua, so used this action, molded his body to Jeonghan’s, which made him smile before Jeonghan turned it into a lewder one. Kissing Joshua on the neck, Jeonghan pulled away, smiling triumphantly at the looks of horror and surprise. “Do I need to spell it out for you? The fact that we made—“

“Enough!” His dad’s face turned this puce color. His eyes bugged out at how close Jeonghan was. The fact that Jeonghan kissed Joshua on the neck and that he had allowed it.

But Jeonghan wasn’t done. No. Not at all. Never let it be said that Jeonghan didn’t take vindictive pleasure out of things. Joshua knew whatever he was going to say next would not help the situation but it. He tightened his hand around Joshua’s hip, “Shua and I. We made love under the moonlight. For those two hours, I had your son under me. Is that what you wanted to hear? Father in law.”

Joshua would have face palmed but at this point he let Jeonghan have his fun. It was his dad’s fault in the first place for the stupid engagement with Seungcheol. No doubt Jeonghan was still hopping mad about it. Joshua knew how to hold grudges as well. Let him suffer.

His dad lurched forward fist ready, to punch Jeonghan it seemed. But his mom grabbed him and made him stay put. “How dare you,” he growled. “Joshua. Is he lying?”

Shaking his head, Joshua drove the last nail into his father’s coffin given the ashy color on his face. “No,” he moved his hand, putting it on top of Jeonghan’s possessive one, squeezing it in comfort. “We spent it together. Exactly as he said we did.” Turning to Mr. Choi he asked, “This will change the engagement, won’t it?” He schooled his expression into something demure, even though he’d rather smirk, “the fact that I’m not pure.”

He cleared his throat. “This certainly changes things indeed. But considering this is the first time. It shouldn’t matter as long as you two stay away from each other and end things.”

Jeonghan gave him a smile that was all teeth. “You think this was the first time? We’ve done this countless times. For the past year.” Nearly snarling at the man, he said, “And we won’t be giving each other up. I suggest you find someone else for your son to marry Village head Choi. Joshua is taken.” Jeonghan paused, “Actually you might want to ask Nayong,” looking down at Seungcheol who stiffened at the mention of her name, Jeonghan gave a wide grin. “I stumbled upon something a few weeks ago. Over heard something about pregnancy perhaps.”

Everyone turned to look at Seungcheol as he looked down into his lap.

Nervously and a bit angered Mr. Choi said, “Perhaps this is a talk for another day. With Nayoung included.”

“Oh no,” Joshua said, butting in. “Today. You can talk to Nayoung yourselves. If she’s pregnant this engagement is void. Isn’t it? Especially since the child is Seungcheol’s.”

Joshua’s dad stood up, pointedly ignoring how close Jeonghan and Joshua were. “Indeed. If she’s pregnant and the child is his. Joshua will not be marrying Seungcheol.” He looked at their joined hands, “However it doesn’t mean you’ll get to marry Jeonghan either.”

He sighed. “Let’s go to my home. And we shall collect Nayoung on the way.” The disappointment in his eyes were clear.

Seungcheol looked half terrified and half angry. No doubt he hoped to sweep the whole thing under the rug and marry Joshua following tradition. But if he messed up that was his problem not Joshua’s. He wouldn’t let anyone use him.


Nayoung had looked sufficiently frightened when she came down the stairs when her mother called her. Her parents looked surprised and apprehensive. But considering how silent Seungcheol had been during the talk at the meeting hall there was no doubt she was pregnant. Now they just had to dissolve one engagement and have a different one made in its place.

Silently they all walked into the Choi’s house. Nodding and bowing to Seungcheol’s mother as she had set a table of tea and coffee for them.

Jeonghan managed to steal a seat next to Joshua, smiling back at Joshua’s father as he had ousted him from the spot he wanted to take. This wasn’t going to endear Jeonghan to him at all but he didn’t care. Not when the man himself said that he wouldn’t let Joshua marry him no matter if the engagement with Seungcheol was going to be ended.

As gently as possible, Mr. Choi said, “Nayoung is it true,” he cleared his throat, “that you’re pregnant?”

The teacup she was drinking from shook. A bit of tea spilled on her, but her face was so stricken with fear she didn’t even register the splash of warm tea.

It was enough confirmation for Mr. Choi, Joshua, and his family. Jeonghan gave a small victorious smile, squeezing Joshua’s hand underneath the table. That was one obstacle down. He had only one more. Just one more.

Seungcheol sunk deeper in his chair, like he could disappear if he tried to make himself seem smaller. If he had told his parents the truth, then Joshua wouldn’t be dragged into this mess and neither would Jeonghan. But then again if he hadn’t would Joshua have blurted out that he spent time with Jeonghan.

Looking at him Jeonghan contemplated whether or not Joshua would’ve jumped out of his seat to save him, engagement or not. He felt Joshua’s hand squeeze his; Joshua smiled at him warmly, just like always. No. How could he doubt him? Joshua would always jump to Jeonghan’s rescue.

Mr. Choi pressed on. “The child. Whose is it?” Gently he said, “There’s no need to lie to protect anyone Nayoung.”

Shakily she put down the tea cup. She opened once but no sound came out. The second time she tried to speak, tears started spilling down her eyes.

They were quick to comfort: Mr. Choi took the tissues from his wife, while Nayoung’s parents started asking her what was wrong while simultaneously drying her eyes.

“It’s Seungcheol’s isn’t it?” Mr. Choi said, pushing for an answer.

Sniffling she nodded, whispering out a small yes.

“Do you know how far you are along?” Mrs. Choi asked softly. And as quietly as she could, she smacked Seungcheol upside the back of his head.

“Two months. I haven’t bled in two months,” she said.

“We should see the doctor to make sure.” Mr. Choi sighed. “It looks like the engagement between Joshua and Seungcheol is null and void at this point.” He turned to Joshua and his family. “I’m sorry for this.”

Joshua’s father nodded. Stiff or not he seemed, relieved. “We’ll take our leave then. Good night. And good luck.”

“Jeonghan,” Mr. Choi said, “I’ll make an announcement tomorrow morning about Minkyung’s disappearance. I can’t help with how it will be for the two of you though.” He gave a pointed look at how Jeonghan held onto Joshua’s hand.

“Minkyung’s death not being my fault will be good enough,” Jeonghan replied. “I never cared about what others thought anyhow.”

“Yes, but can the same be said about Joshua.” Mr. Choi said it as some sort of warning.

“We’ll be fine,” Joshua said. “Thank you for your concern Mr. Choi.”

Joshua tugged Jeonghan out of the Choi’s home, but not before Jeonghan flashed a little smirk Seungcheol’s way. He shouldn’t have tried to interfere with their relationship. Jeonghan wouldn’t have revealed anything otherwise. Too bad for him.


Jeonghan walked Joshua home, hands intertwined. He knew that Joshua’s father hated him. Probably something to do with his own dad. An insignificant hurdle in comparison to his biggest one.

But he was one step closer to having Joshua forever. Eavesdropping had its perks. He patted himself on the back metaphorically.

Joshua’s father hustled them inside. “We have to talk about this,” he said, pointing at their joined hands. “It can’t go on. This ends today. Right now.”

“Why?!”

And there Joshua went. He had such a fiery temper when he was riled. Jeonghan remembered when Joshua tackled him to the ground floor once in a fit of anger. It surprised him and then it aroused him. But it also made him aware that Joshua wasn’t one to messed around with all the time. Now was one of those times. What would Joshua do? He showed his reckless side during these times.

“There’s no future for you if you stay with him,” he slammed his fist on the dinner table, making Joshua’s mother flinch. “He doesn’t have a good reputation. The fact that he led you astray and you two have been,” he snarled the next words, “having before marriage. He’s no good. You can’t see him anymore.”

“I seduced him first!” Joshua shouted his words, giving a satisfied smile.

Joshua did take pleasure in surprising people. Jeonghan included. The number of times Joshua surprised him; it made Jeonghan lose a few years of his lifespan.

“What?”

“I seduced him first,” Joshua hissed. “He didn’t want to push me so I pushed him into first.”

“Joshua!” His mother cried out. “Enough! Listen to your father. You’re not allowed to see Jeonghan anymore.”

“And why not!” Joshua yelled. “I love him!”

“ isn’t love. There’s more to a relationship than the aspect of it. And you can’t possibly love him. You’re too young to even know what it is,” she explained.

“ isn’t the only part of our relationship,” he snapped back, “you don’t know anything about our relationship. How dare you say we don’t know what love is.” Joshua gave them an ugly look, “You say we’re too young yet you were willing to make me get married. Not too young for that, now am I?”

Joshua glared at them, clearly ready to start a fight of epic proportions.

Jeonghan cut in before Joshua did more damage than necessary. “I’ll be leaving. But I won’t stop seeing your son.” He stared at them deeply, “He’s right to say our relationship is more than just . I’d like to talk more to change your minds about me. But I think we all need some rest.”

Joshua opened his mouth to protest but quietly Jeonghan shushed him. “Shh. It’s ok.” He brushed his bangs out the way gently. “It’s been a long day and we need sleep. We can talk more about this tomorrow.”  Jeonghan kissed him, ignoring Joshua’s father heated glare. “I’ll be back tomorrow. We’re not done talking.”

“You’re not welcome in this house,” Mr. Hong snapped.

“You’ll let me in when I come talk tomorrow or else I’ll air out what me and Joshua have been doing. I don’t think you want that, do you?” Jeonghan said lightly.

“You’d hurt Joshua like that?” Mrs. Hong said. “How can you say you love him then?”

“He’ll forgive me for this. He wouldn’t forgive me for not trying. And if I have to use that to get into your house then I will. Right Shua?” Jeonghan looked at Joshua.

“Whatever it takes,” he answered back.

“I’ll be back tomorrow after dinner. I can only guess that I’ll be allowed inside?” Jeonghan gave a pointed look to Mr. Hong.

Begrudgingly he nodded his head.

Jeonghan gave Joshua one last kiss, and bowed politely to Joshua’s parents before going out the front door.


“Joshua,” his mom said as soon as Jeonghan left.

“No. We’re talking. Tomorrow. You wouldn’t listen to me about the dumb engagement. Which as you saw was a large farce. So you’ll listen to us. You have to,” he said fiercely.

“He’s bad news,” his dad growled. “Just like his own father. I won’t have you around him. Love him or not it’s no good for you two. Can you imagine how hard life would be if you married him? Everyone already looks at him sideways. Your life would change. No. It will change. You announced to everyone already that you were with him. Come tomorrow everyone will talk about you and him.” He shook his head. “If we distance you two it’ll die down. But I will not allow you two to get married. No.”

“We’ll listen to you two,” his mom said, “but our answer will remain the same.”

“Then we’ll elope and leave,” Joshua retorted. “If the answer is still no then we’ll leave. Watch us.” Tired of hearing all of this back and forth he went up the stairs to his room, drowning out their voices. “We won’t stay if nothing will change.”

“Joshua!”

He closed the door, no longer wanting to hear everything. Sliding the lock in, he slid down to the floor. “We should just leave.” Taking a shuddering breath, he gripped his pants, terrified of the future.


The next morning Joshua heard nothing but birds and unnatural quiet in the house. Going down the stairs he saw breakfast, one portion for himself covered, along with a note. He grabbed it, reading. Crumpling the note as he finished, he threw it against the wall in frustration. Damn them.

His mom went out with his dad to collect herbs. They were trying to curtail every chance he had at seeing Jeonghan. They even made some lofty threats of what would happen if he didn’t open the apothecary. Damn it.

Blowing out a huge gust of air he grabbed his cloak, trying not to growl. Why were things still going against them? They got rid of two obstacles only to come up against another.

He exited the house, locking it up. That’s when he heard the whispers.

Some of the older ladies looked at him and whispered. No doubt thinking about what he was doing with Jeonghan. The grandmas as well gave him looks, some filled with pity and others with confusion.

Joshua didn’t need this. He trudged along to the apothecary, opening the doors and flipping the sign. If they didn’t come in, then he’d have a quiet day. He didn’t need their to add to an already crap day.

Throughout the morning, he had the regulars come in and some people who rarely made their way into the store. No doubt to stare at him and make whispering comments as they did. Some made sad clucking noises at him. And others shook their head. No one was brave enough yet to ask.

Old Mrs. Kim made small talk. “I’ve heard the news dearie. It’s too bad Seungcheol is taken. But there’s no need to go running off with that Yoon boy. Bad boys aren’t marriage material my child.”

As polite as possible Joshua said, “I was always with Jeonghan. From the beginning. That engagement with Seungcheol was stupid and I wasn’t even interested in him.” He handed her the bag, “Thank you for your concern though. Me and Jeonghan are doing fine.”

She took her bag, shaking her head at him.

The door closed behind her; Joshua stuck out his tongue. These old busy bodies needed to back off.

Seungkwan came in, a bright smile on his face, like it would clear up all of Joshua’s problems. “Hey. How’s the day going?”

Raising his brow, Joshua deadpanned, “You really want to know? Seriously?”

Seungkwan shook his head. “Nope. I want to know the gossip. What were you doing with Jeonghan that night and what’s this news about the engagement being broken? Was it because of you? I heard snippets that Nayoung is involved in some way.”

Joshua pushed away from the counter. “Always after gossip, aren’t you?”

“Well what I'm hearing now is gossip,” he answered with a shrug. “I thought I’d get the truth from the source.”

“I was with Jeonghan. Doing things. Obviously. I don’t think I need to spell it out for you,” Joshua said, a light blush coming to his cheeks. “The engagement with Seungcheol is over. And you’re right it does have to do with Nayoung.” Joshua looked around the store to make sure it was empty. Silently he made a gesture over his stomach. “She’s you know.”

Seungkwan’s jaw dropped. “Ooh. So she’s,” he made the same gesture back.

Joshua nodded.

“That would explain it. It’s his?” he asked.

“Yea. It’s his. So, engagement broken. Good riddance,” Joshua scoffed.

“You and Jeonghan were,” Seungkwan raised his brows in a suggestive manner.

“Yes,” Joshua replied, slamming his hand on the counter, “not that it’s any of your business.”

“Can I ask if you did this because of the engagement or…?”

“We’re together,” Joshua said. “Now what are you here for? Besides for the gossip.”

“Some salve. Something took a swipe at my sister. The claw marks are small but we think it’s because she moved away so quickly. But it’s taking its time to heal.”

Joshua nodded. “I’ll get the good stuff then. Soak the wound in it and then let it dry for a bit. She can sleep with it as long the bandages are soaked. But not all day.” Joshua grabbed the right bottle, wrapping it up and bagging it. “If it doesn’t get better maybe get the doctor to sew some stiches in.”

“Got it. Thanks,” he chirped at Joshua as he paid. “And thanks for the news.”

Giving him a rueful smile, Joshua sent him on his way.

The day dwindled and his parents did a minor drop by before leaving to check on his grandma. He ignored them. They’d talk. Later. The sun dipped down and Joshua flipped the sign closed and locked the front door from the inside. He tidied up before taking the day’s earnings and securing it in his bag. Walking out the back door he made sure to close and lock it as well.

Hearing a rustling noise, he looked up. His eyes widened but before he could shout for help Joshua was knocked back, his head hitting the walls of the store. His eyes slid shut as he tried to stop from blacking out, but it wasn’t working. He heard something before he lost consciousness.

“Stupid boy.”