Begin

Anew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Look at how unlikely our meeting was. Look at the vastness of the universe encompassing all the things we don't know and the things we think we know. Look at me, at us, together - here and now. Isn't this some form of a miracle?

  To say that Byun Baekhyun is an enigma would simply be an understatement. If given the chance, I would dissect his brain and find out what exactly goes through that mind of his. Throughout the course of our relationship, he never failed to surprise me every day with his antics. Reappearing in my life again was the biggest surprise I had received from him so far. 

  Until now. 

  The sound of the chair scraping against the floor travelled into my ears and I looked up, a frown now marring my face, ready to tell whoever it was that the seat was taken. It took me a few seconds for my mind to fully register what, or rather who, was in front of me on a Monday morning.

  Brown orbs and mochi cheeks filled my line of sight and a groan immediately fled from my lips. My eyes certainly didn't miss the surprise that briefly flickered across his features when I went back to reading my psychology lecture notes instead of voicing out my obvious disdain for him. The figure in front of me let out a rather defeated sigh before sitting down and once again the high pitched screeching noise of the chair being shoved around the tiled floor travelled around the cafe. 

  My eyes fluttered closed for a second and I tapped my fingers lightly on the table as I inhaled and exhaled deeply through my nose. His mere presence annoyed me to no end and all I wanted at this moment was to be anywhere but here. Willing myself not to pack up and bolt this instant, I calmly took my favourite purple highlighter out of my pencil case and uncapped it, ready to highlight points that could help me in writing my soon-to-be-due thesis. Purple has been my favourite colour since forever and the colour soothes me whenever I look at it and I've never been more thankful to own a freaking highlighter. 

  A soft hum escapes the pair of lips that belonged to the person opposite me right now as I dragged the tip of my highlighter across the pristine white paper, tainting it with colour. At this point, I was gritting my teeth so hard that they could possibly break and crumble any moment now. A knot of dread forms in my stomach and I anticipated for words to leave his mouth but they never came. My chest feels heavy, that and the fact that my heart rate was slowly but surely speeding up by the second. Tension lingered in the air and the tick of my watch's hands was louder than anything. 

  "Are you going to waste your time sitting there and staring at me all day?" I finally spit out, my tone coming out harsher than intended. His face now filled my vision and this was the first time in years where I got to look at him in the face properly. His lips were quirked into a grin and his eyes were on me, he was looking, no, gazing at me with that same look in his eyes I would always see when we were dating back then. I looked over his shoulder and caught a group of teenage girls staring at him in wonder. Some averted their eyes when I looked but some continued to openly ogle. My lips pulled into a tight smile. How typical. Everywhere he went; he was bound to attract the attention of all genders, there never failed to be a mob of girls starting at him like he was a slice of heaven. 

  His sudden chuckle surprised me and my eyes flew to him without hesitation, I felt myself twitch. The hot stirring in my stomach rose northwards to my chest and my lungs constricted. 

  "Time has done you well, Ae Jin," he drawled in a warm husky tone. Lasers shot out from my eyes as I realised how he took his time to observe me. How dare he. 

  "Keep your false compliments to yourself, please," I said tightly and scoffed. I couldn't bear to stay any longer and began pulling all my belongings into my bag, completely uncaring of whoever was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter