Calm

Anew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

But I didn't understand then. That somebody could hurt me so badly and I would never recover. That a person can, just by living, damage another human being beyond repair.

  A bead of sweat trickled down my forehead and I hurriedly wiped it away with the back of my hand. 

  Citrus. That's what the administration office smelled like... citrusy and fresh. It's hard to put a finger on it but I liked the smell. I fiddled with my fingers and stared down at the cool marble tiles beneath me as I patiently waited for the appearance of anyone who was able to help me process the necessary paperwork. 

  Not a sound was made with the exception of the huge printer that stood at the back of the office vomiting out inked papers. 

  My mind suddenly replayed the events that took place earlier today and I inwardly chided myself for saying more than I should have to him. 

  "Ae Jin, please," Baekhyun's sincere voice reached my ears as he held his hand out to me, "my time overseas has made me realise that the person I truly love is yo-" 

  "Don't," I half shouted, "Don't come near me, don't even look at me. We've already broken up, let's not act like there's even a single thing left between us," by now I was sure my eyes were slightly red as I tried my hardest to blink the tears away, "so please," I swallowed a sob that was fighting its way up my throat, "forget me, and I'll do the same."

  With that, I turned and bolted, ignoring Baekhyun's relentless cries of my name behind me.

  The dam broke as I ran and ran, I gave way to the tears that desperately sought an escape.

  Baekhyun had won again. 

  The sound of wheels rolling over the floor and the squeak of a chair signalled the arrival of the receptionist and I was broken out of my reverie. She seemed to be in her late 20s and her jet-black locks cascaded down her shoulders. She peered at me through her rimmed glasses before opening her pair of lips which were perfectly painted in deep burgundy. 

  "May I help you dear?" Her voice reminded me of rich honey smoothing over the surface of a pancake. 

  "Good afternoon, my name is Cho Ae Jin and I was accepted into the Psychology course in this school. I have here with me the documents I'm required to submit before lessons officially start," I stated. 

  "Ah, of course, just place them right here," she paused and grabbed a rectangle tray from behind the desk, "and please wait a moment while I key everything in," the edges of the lady's mouth curved upwards into a smile. 

  "Thank you," I uttered.

  Her fingers danced skillfully over

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter