Prologue

Anew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Even within my dreams, I am unable to break free. 

  We're sitting opposite each other in a cozy corner at a nearby café, a large transparent glass window to our side separates us from the outside world. 

  As I look out, pretty decorations can be seen lining the streets, people from all walks of life are walking past one another and cars are zooming past. The dark and starry night sky suddenly doesn't seem so gloomy anymore. 

  We chat animatedly about the movie we watched earlier. 

  I feel just a tad bit nervous as compared to when we were in the cinema, each time our hands met inside the popcorn box, red would leak into my cheeks and he would start fidgeting. I inwardly thanked the Heavens above that he couldn't see how I looked. 

  "Do you not like coffee? I notice you ordered chamomile tea," his voice is as smooth as silk and very soothing. 

  I ponder over his question for a moment. "I don't know," I shrug, "I never liked the taste of coffee. It's bitter and sour, even with sugar added I still don't find its taste pleasant. What's more, tea calms me." 

  Like your voice. 

  He stirs his cup of coffee before taking half a teaspoon of it and bringing it to my lips. 

  "Say ahhh~" he croons. I shake my head in defiance. "Come on, it won't hurt, I promise," he pouts, "it might even change your life." 

  The sides of my mouth unknowingly curl upwards at how adorable he is. I decided to give in, a small sip wouldn't change a thing anyway, much less my life. 

  Oh if only I knew. 

  He gently tips the teaspoon into my mouth and my tastebuds welcome an explosion of flavours. 

  A strange feeling of absolute harmony overcomes me. It's a perfect moment, a soft light, a scent in the air, the quiet murmur of the city.

  The coffee works like liquid gold as it runs down my throat, unlike any other coffee I've tasted before. 

  It's rich, because of the creamer. Traces of sourness can be detected as well, but most of all, it's bittersweet. 

  Will our relationship be like that too? Bittersweet? 

  I unconsciously close my eyes briefly and savour the aftertaste. 

  A startle of pink darts out from my mouth and I my lips in satisfaction. "Mmm, this coffee is really good," I state, "what did you add to it? How did you turn a cup of plain black coffee into something so...?" 

  Something so exquisite, like you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter