Chapter 7

Safe In Your Arms

“si yoon, watch out!” kai shouted before i realized she was charging towards me. i felt everything went into slow motion. i felt myself being shoved onto the floor. she was about to swing her hands to stab me when i saw a ghost pushed her away. and she flew at least a few feet away.
 
before she could get up, kai ran towards krystal and tackled her to the ground. kai was trying to wrestle the pocket knife out from her hands. before i knew it, i noticed kai crouched down, holding onto his lower abdomen, with the pocket knife inside him. blood started oozing out like crazy.
 
krystal dropped the knife when she realized what she has done. a bystander quickly tackled her down while another called the police and ambulance.
 
“oh my god, kai...” i crawled towards him because my legs were shaking uncontrollably.
 
“please hang in there... i have yet to tell you that i love you.” i wailed messily as i held onto his face.
 
“i cant... i cant promise you that. but... i can tell you that i also love you.” he weakly held onto my hands. his hands were so cold. minutes after minutes, his grip became looser.
 
“kai!” i screamed when he gave up keeping his eyes open. he closed his eyes and his hands dropped on the ground.
 
“hes dead.... isnt he...” i told myself. our love havent even began and its was already over.
 
“hes not dead. if he is, you would have seen him as a ghost now.” i turned around and looked at the ghost who saved me.
 
i wiped my tears away to see her clearly. she was a ghost, but she was not disfigured at all. she was so pretty.
 
“you saved me just now... right?” i asked, as it could have been my imagination.
 
she nodded her head. “why couldnt you save him? i mean... im thankful that you save me...”
 
“we can only help when someone is near death experience. if i didnt interfere, you would have been dead. she would have stabbed you right in the heart. for kai... he will live... so dont worry.”
 
“if you dont mind me asking... why are you not disfigured like other ghosts?
 
“we are good ghosts. we dont have any grudge and accepted our fate.”
 
“why dont i see you guys more often?”
 
“there are also good ghosts out there. we just didnt want to scare you away so we stay far away.“
 
the siren could be heard.
 
“is there anything i can do for you?”
 
“you see... the bystander that held the girl down was my fiancee. can you tell him that i buried all his letters from high school at the backyard of my house? it was meant to be a surprise for him when we got married... but i suddenly left this world.”
 
“im so sorry. this is so heartbreaking... ill tell him that. please... rest in peace.”
 
“i will, sweetie. just before i go... that guy? he was the one who saved your life. i only intervened for you. i wish you guys the best. cherish each and every moment with each other because it can end anytime.” she said as she gave me a pat on the back.
 
“miss. are you hurt?” the paramedic asked.
 
“no i am not. please save him. i beg you.” i said as they put kai on the stretcher.
 
“we will.”
 
i looked across and saw the police handcuffing krystal. i walked towards the bystander.
 
“excuse me.... thank you for intervening.”
 
“youre welcome. im sorry i wasnt able to held her down earlier before. she looked like she was very strong.”
 
“she is. and i am thankful that you didnt... because i have something to tell you.”
 
“what is it?” he asked.
 
“your fiancee... she passed away not long right? i can actually see ghosts. and.... your fiancee actually saved my life...”
 
“was she the one who pushed the girl when she was tackling you?” he asked, completely accepting the fact that i could see ghosts.
 
“yes she was... anyways she wanted me to tell you that she buried your high school letters under the tree in the backyard of her house. it was meant to be a present from her for the wedding.”
 
he started tearing. “my angel... thank you so much for telling this. anyways... you should go. i think theyre waiting for you.”
 
“i wish you the best in life. you are a good man.” i said as i ran back towards the ambulance.
“are you kai’s father?” the doctor asked as soon uncle arrived.
 
“no... his parents are often overseas and hardly come back. i am his chauffeur ever since he was a baby. i am his guardian until his parents are back next week.”
 
“no problem.” the doctor looked at the chart in his hands. “the knife impacted his liver. luckily it did not get that deep. just a few more inches in and his life would be a critical state.”
 
“thank god...” uncle sighed in relief.
 
“however he lost a lot of blood and his wounds needs time to heal so it would take him around a week before he can discharge.”
 
“thats not a problem. thank you so much doctor!” he bowed to the doctors as they leave.
 
“are you okay?” uncle asked as he turned towards me. “i was so worried about you when i got the call about kai.”
 
“im okay” i smiled.
 
“excuse me.” the police interrupted. “are you, si yoon? are you okay to give your statement about the stabbing case?”
 
“yes i am.”
“thank you for your cooperation. we will be back again when kai regain his consciousness.”
 
“this incident could have been easily avoided if you guys didnt take her money and let her out. shes mentally ill.”
 
“we apologized on behalf of the department. we will ensure that she will stay in jail this time and get the help that she needs.” they bowed as they left.
 
“si yoon, its been a long day. let me bring you home. you can come by tomorrow again.” uncle said and i nodded my head. i was too tired to argue back.

i entered kai’s room and noticed uncle was sleeping on the couch.
 
“uncle, you should go home. i can take over from here.”
 
he sighed. “i was hoping he would wake up.”
 
“he will. ill call you as soon as he wakes up.”
 
“please do. then... ill leave you to him.” uncle said as he left the room.
 
i sat down beside kai and held his hands.
 
“the ghost said youre gonna be fine. why are you not waking up? please wake up... you have to marry me so i dont have to see ghosts anymore.”
 
“are you proposing to me?” a weak voice replied.
 
“kai!” i said as i hugged him, not realizing that it was our first hug ever.
 
“hey... i remember you told me you love me. and now youre proposing to me? i love a dominant woman” he said as he sat up and i blushed.
 
“before i forgot...  i heard you said that a ghost talked to you? how long have i been out? are you best friends with them now?” he asked and i laughed. i told him everything from the pretty ghost who pushed krystal to telling the bystander that the ghost was his fiancee.
 
“that is crazy. i mean... you could continue to help ghosts and actually earn money from it. you never know the ghost might be a billionaire who is willing to offer you his inheritance for a small task. its a dream job isnt it?”
 
“i mean... i would love to. but that means we cant get married.” i teased.
 
“another thought, maybe scratch that. its not a good idea.” he quickly said.
 
“dont worry. i cant imagine marrying anyone else except you.” i replied.
 
“you just made my heart pounded.” he said dramatically.
 
“admit it kai. you said that youre gonna let your feelings grow slowly for me. your definition of “slow” seems abit too fast for me” i continued teasing him.
 
“i mean, if i can fall for someone so quick, this means that we’re really soulmates then?”
 
i nodded my head. “when i was with luhan, i didnt feel the connection that i had with you. i think we’re really meant to be” i smiled.
 
“okay. im gonna say it first before you say it. i love you.”
 
“we already said it though and i was first-“ kai stopped me as he put his hands on my lips.
 
“that was a rehearsal. also, do not propose to me. because i want to be the one doing it.”
 
“i thought you like a dominant woman?”
 
“i do. but its unfair that youre always doing it first before me. you know, im a competitive person.”
 
“okay. i love you too” i said as i gave him a quick peck on the lips.
 
kai whined. “si yoon! stop beating me in everything!” he took my face and kissed me passionately.

one week later
 
it was the night before kai’s discharge. i have been coming here everyday after school, sometimes with the boys tagging along.
 
i yawned. its been a tiring week running from home, to school, to the hospital along with the increasing amount of assignments and projects to do from school.
 
“do you want to lay down here for abit?” kai offered.
 
“will you be ok with that? i think im okay-“
 
“im okay. i feel so bad that you have to come here everyday. this is the least i can do for you.“ he said as he weakly scooted to the side and patted the space beside him.
 
i sighed at the effort he had already made. i sat down on the bed and lay down beside him. whoops. his face is so close to mine. i blushed.
 
“youre beautiful” he quickly said before i could get up from the awkward position we are at.
 
“stay. ill wake you up.” he said and he held my hands.
 
“youve become really charming. im actually flustered.” i admitted as i looked at him.
 
before he could reply, i covered his mouth.
 
“dont ruin the moment with your lame comeback.”
 
“you know me so well.” he laughed as i scooted closer to him as i readjusted myself comfortably on the bed.
 
i closed my eyes as i felt someone my hair. i smiled in my sleep. ive never felt so loved before.

“kim jongin... get up!” a voice shouted sternly.
 
both of us jumped. i jumped because of the voice, but kai jumped because he got smacked in the .
 
“d-dad...!” kai replied.
 
oh . his dad? the person beside him must be his wife. man, this is the last way i would want to meet his parents...
 
“i didnt come back to see you cuddling a girl.” he said angrily.
 
“im sorry sir.” i quickly got up and bowed at him. i was about to leave and kai firmly grabbed my wrist.
 
“dad. she took care of me this entire week while you guys werent here. she doesnt have anyone to bring her here like you guys do, yet she doesnt complain at all. her homeworks are piling up, but she still come here everyday without missing a day. she felt responsible for my injury when it wasnt even her fault in the first place. in fact she got injured because of me previously.”
 
“well its because youre always asking for trouble. anyone who is with you will always be in danger.” he replied.
 
“okay honey, please stop. this is not the right time to scold him. he almost died, you know?” mrs.kim said to her husband before turning towards me.
 
“are you his girlfriend?”
 
i looked at kai to check whether he is going to respond for me before nodding.
 
“i dont recall him having any girlfriend before. how long have you been together?”
 
like days? but i cant say that. “for awhile now.” i replied.
 
“is he troublesome?” the dad said to me in a slightly calmer voice than just now.
 
“no hes not. hes been the kindest. the accident happened because of a girl he had met.”
 
“and who is that?”
 
kai sighed. “its krystal, dad. she threw a glass shard at si yoon once. she wanted to hurt her again but i stepped in and got stabbed instead. and if i didnt intervene... si yoon might have been dead. can you imagine how guilty i would feel?”
 
“krystal jung? mr.jung’s daughter?” he said. oh. so their families knew each other.
 
“she got arrested when she injured si yoon but she got released after. when she wanted to hurt her the second time she wanted her dead. im not looking for trouble, dad. i wanted to prevent it from happening again by agreeing to her threats. but because of my carelessness, it happened again.”
 
“oh... poor girl. we are so sorry. are you okay?” the mum asked me.
 
i nodded my head.
 
“thank you for standing by his side while we were not here. ive never seen jongin so protective of someone before...”
 
“alright. we’re gonna pay for your hospital bills and then we can discharge you. we can drop your girlfriend off as well.” the father interrupted the conversation before leaving the room with his wife.
 
“how did they know krystal?” i asked kai.
 
“his father and my father were childhood friends. but he probably just thought that krystal and i were just acquaintance.”
 
“i see...” i said.
 
“dont worry babe. you’ll be fine. my dad is always like this regardless whoever it is.”

one year later
 
kai has completely healed. months ago. his parents went abroad again weeks after his discharge. during those times while they were here, kai’s mother often ask our family over for dinner. i think its safe to say that his family likes my family.
 
after months of trials, krystal was finally in jail. not sure when she will be out, but itll be a long time from now. i hope she gets all the help she needs.
 
today was graduation day. while most of us are going to different colleges, kai and i were lucky to get into the same college. on the other hand, sehun and daehee decided to continue pursuing modelling. have i mentioned that sehun has finally reciprocated daehee’s feeling? apparently throughout the year they see each other everyday both in school and in the company. it was pretty obvious this was coming.
 
“hwang si yoon,” the emcee called my name out as i walked out on stage to receive my diploma.

after the ceremony, we gathered in a group and the emcee spoke up once again.
 
“by the count of 3, we will throw our hats together. okay? ready.... 1... 2... 3!”
 
we threw our hats up into the sky. “happy graduation everyone!” chanyeol shouted.
 
sehun and daehee hugged each other.
 
“i love you” daehee said to sehun.
 
“ew get a room!” chanyeol said to them as he snickered.
 
kai gave me a back hug. “congrats to us” he whispered in my ears.
 
baekhyun caught chanyeol offguard and pushed towards eunhye. eunhye blushed.
 
“baekhyun you ing-“ chanyeol was about to pull away when eunhye suddenly hugged him.
 
“congrats big baby” she said as she patted him on the back.
 
chanyeol blushed and quickly pulled away from her.
 
“congrats to you too.” he coughed. “dumb head.”
 
i patted baekhyun playfully. “hey cupid. i hope you find your significant other soon. youre a great guy”
 
baekhyun looked at me. “but before i could find my significant other, i have one last task as a cupid.”
 
“oh? what is...?” i trailed off.
 
“turn around.”
 
i turned around and see kai kneeling down with one knee.
 
“will you marry me?” he asked as he opened the ring box in his hands.
 
never did i would expect i would marry this young. but i guess kai did this so that i wouldnt be able to see ghosts anymore. i still remember the day i stepped into this school for the first time and sat in kai’s seat in class. i can never forget the disgust in his face whenever he saw my face. how did that, changed to this? here he is now, kneeling in front of me, with a complete opposite expression from back then.
 
“yes” i finally said after ending my mini monologue in my head.
 
the class cheered as kai got up from his knees and put the ring on my finger.
 
“i love you, kai.”
 
“i love you too, si yoon.”

6 months later
 
we were finally college students. apparently after kai proposed to me i was still able to see ghosts. however, i was immune to it. no ghosts was able to possess me. i got used to seeing scary ghosts, and i got to help many of the good ghosts as well. kai’s touch however, still make ghosts disappear.
 
“hey sorry for interrupting babe, but we’re late for our bridal’s appointment.” kai sheepishly told me as he noticed me talking to no one.
 
“is this your fiancee you talked about? hes so good looking!” the ghost said.
 
“yes he is my fiancee. yeah i agree, hes ugly,” i snickered as kai’s eyes widened.
 
“are you guys seriously talking bad about me?” kai pouted cutely.
 
“thank you for making my last wish come true. ill miss you so much when you wont be able to see me anymore.”

“when we get married you wont be able to see ghosts anymore. will you miss them?” kai asked when we were in the car.
 
“of course i will, kai… I’ve gotten so used to it. scary ghosts dont bother coming after me anymore because they know they cant possess me. I’ve made friends with so many good ghosts, got to learn about their tragic stories, help them reconnect with their love ones, and help them to fulfill their last wishes… to the point that i feel that seeing ghosts was actually more of a blessing than a curse. because i am able to see ghosts, i got to know you. my fate forced me to rely on you despite you hating me. and that’s how our relationship came to be. your hatred for me turned into love. me able to see ghosts brought me to you, my soulmate. remember that time when i was the park and you were there? i was at my desperate end when you could have just let me be. but you didnt. you let your hatred for me go and try your best to help me. you didnt think i was crazy when i told you i could see ghosts. you stick with me despite not sure what’s going on. you took responsibility when you found out that you could get rid of ghosts for me. if someone else was my soulmate… I’m sure it wouldn’t have gone this way. so kai… thank you for trusting in me all these time. i love you.”
 
“babe… you’re making me cry and i haven’t even seen you in your wedding dress yet. arent we suppose to save these emotional speeches for the actual wedding? you’re not suppose to make me so emotional now…”
 
i laughed. “then save it for the wedding. ill be waiting. make sure it’ll make me a crying mess. didnt you say you are a competitive person?”
 
“oh try me, si yoon. but are you really ready to get married and not see ghosts anymore, forever?”
 
i nodded my head. “i think so, kai. once i say my goodbyes to all the good ghosts, I’ll be ready to move on to the next chapter with you.”
 
“that’s good to hear. we’ve really come this far, huh? im looking forward to more adventures with you. now, shall we move on to the next chapter together?”

THE END! phew never expected to finish this but i freaking did! i think im satisfied with the ending though im sure my original story wouldnt have went this way. its been a long 6 years (including 2 years of planning and then publishing after many years in my draft...) ...its so crazy. if theres any popular fanfic website/storytelling app that is popular this is the first story that ill definitely make one into. i definitely enjoy writing this one because fantasy is my favourite genre for sure. ill be completing the rest of my uncomplete ficsbut im not sure which one to start yet, but all of them will be done eventually! hope to see you readers there too! if not... have a good life! bye boos!