Chapter 6

Safe In Your Arms
“oh... is this a journal?” kai asked as he picked up a book.
 
“wait what? he was so young to even have a journal. he must be really intelligent.” he took it from kai and opened the book as he flipped through it. “did he write this? i cant read it” baekhyun squinted his eyes, trying decipher whatever was on the book.
 
“let me see.” i asked and they passed me the book.
 
“today is the first day of school. no one wanted to be friends with me. a girl said i was ugly.” i read an entry out loud. 
 
“today a group of kids kicked me till i was on the ground. it was very painful.” i flipped till somewhat it was halfway through the book.
 
“today i was kicked again. i have a bruise on my ribcage. until today, my parents does not know.” i was closing to the end of the book.
 
i glanced through the rest of the entries and he was bullied almost every single day. and i find it shocking how his parents did not know that he was bullied all these time. 
 
i started tearing. how can a kid managed to bottle all these to himself? i cant believe the pain he had endured.
 
kai noticed i was crying and he put his arms around me to comfort me.
 
i couldnt read on anymore. i flipped to the last page and realize it was several times longer than the other entries.
 
“hi diary. this is the last page of the book. i once wrote if i was still unhappy till the last page, i will kill myself. i am still unhappy today. i wished i have friends. i wished someone would have noticed and reach out to me. i am so angry. i cant leave this world without any revenge for how much i have suffered. the next person who live in my room will see unpleasant things for the rest of their lives until they marry to someone who is truly their soulmate. they will have to feel my pain. how it feels to be alone. how it feels to have imaginary people to talk to.thank you diary for being my only listening ear. i shall go now. goodbye” my voice was quivering at the end. not only we found out the solution to this mess, we also found out someone’s darkest secret. no. a child. a child’s darkest secret.
 
“theres even blood on it...” i mumbled while wailing at this point.
 
“si yoon... thats why you were cursed. any curse will come true when there is a blood on a page.” baekhyun said logically. i looked at him. he doesnt seem affected at all. he must have been used to it.
 
“but... what does this have to do with me? the ghost only disappear temporarily with me.” kai asked.
 
“kai... the reason why the ghosts disappeared is because you guys are soulmates. getting married will permanently get rid of it. that was his curse.” baekhyun explained.
 
“w-we’re soulmates?” kai’s eyes widened.
 
“yes. soulmates are very rare. theres only one soulmate to each person. sometimes you dont even meet them. they might be anywhere in the world. sometimes they might already be dead. most people actually dont get to marry or even meet their soulmates. and the fact you can make ghost disappear from your touch... you guys are most likely soulmates.” 
 
“this is so much to take in.” i finally spoke up. i had cried enough. its time to put my emotions aside and try to think logically.
 
“how do you know when someones your soulmate?” i asked.
 
“you dont” baekhyun replied.
 
kai’s phone suddenly rung and we all jumped. 
 
“oh . i think we wont be able to go home tonight. we just missed our flight.” 
 
“its okay. lets find a hotel nearby.” i said.
 
we put everything back and we walked towards the lady who was still sitting on the chair.
 
“oh sweetie... are you alright?” the old woman asked as she saw my puffy face. 
 
“im alright. thank you for being so kind and even letting us strangers in. we managed to find out his curse.”
 
“what was it?” she asked.
 
i passed the journal to her. “i dont think i am in the position to tell you. you should read it yourself.” 
 
she flipped through the pages and she broke down. she didnt even had to read it.
 
i hugged her and she hugged me back. “im so sorry you went through so much.”  she patted on my back for comfort. 
 
“its not your fault and its neither his. i cant imagine a child suffering like this. thank you for keeping his belongings despite gone for so long.”
 
“of course. he is always in my heart.”
 
by the time we left the house it was already dark.

“sorry, we only have one available room for tonight.” the receptionist said. ha. i rolled my eyes. just like every romance film.
 
we walked into the room and noticed there was only one queen bed and a extendable couch that could be a bed too.
 
“i mean, its pretty obvious whose going to sleep on the bed” baekhyun said as he jumped on the bed.
 
“i mean, its not like im gonna sleep with either of you” i mimicked baekhyun as i placed my luggage on the couch.
 
“ah what a long day! im so exhausted. should we just call for food service?” baekhyun asked.
 
we ordered food service from the hotel and took turns to shower. by then it was already 11 pm. 
 
baekhyun knocked out real quick. we decided to turned off the lights and go to sleep as well.
 
i kept tossing and turning around. 
 
“you cant sleep?” kai asked as he the lights. 
 
i sit up and looked at baekhyun. 
 
“yeah. i cant fall asleep. i cant believe hes sleeping so soundly.” 
 
“hes used to it. nothing is overwhelming, though your situation might be a bit to him.”
 
“what about you?” i asked.
 
“well... if you havent notice how hes sleeping...” kai said as i looked at baekhyun, sprawled out in the centre of the bed.
 
“oh. you can sleep with me.” i patted the empty space beside my bed. he raised an eyebrows and i finally realized what i have just said.
 
“i mean sit here until he has magically move back to his spot” i said quickly. 
 
he got off the bed and walked towards me with heavy lids. 
 
he got under the sheets casually. of course. this might seem nothing to him. i can hear my heart pounding so quickly and loudly. 
 
“so are we getting married?” kai suddenly asked.
 
“huh?” i widened my eyes and then suddenly remembered the curse. 
 
“well. i have to, dont i? this is the only way i wont have to see ghosts anymore.” i sighed. “its you, kai. are you willing to sacrifice your life just for me?” i looked at him.
 
“i mean... im not exactly sacrificing. we’re suppose to be soulmates, si yoon. i definitely look at you as a woman. but i cant see you as a soulmate yet. lets take it slow? at least let my feelings catch up”. 
 
“so do i. thank you for doing this for me.” 
 
“dont thank me. us being soulmates was probably why i was drawn to you. i hated you but i was willing to help you. i cared about you when i knew nothing about you.” 
 
i smiled and i looked at him. he was looking back at me. i cant read him. his eyes bore into mine. wow. two teenagers on a bed at midnight. this is so dangerous. thank god for baekhyun snoring loudly a few feet away from us. 
 
“ah, alright. we should really sleep.” kai said as he get up. my instincts quickly held him back before i realized what i just did.
 
“i-i dont know why i did that. but im okay with you sleeping here. im a light sleeper, so if you touch me i will slap you in my sleep.” i blurted.
 
he laughed at me. wholeheartedly. it was so cute. my heart raced again. 
 
“ill gladly take the opportunity then.” he said as he place a pillow barrier between us. 

“holy , did yall have while i was sleeping?” baekhyun screamed, jolting me up from my sleep. the pillow barrier was long gone, and kai’s arms was all over me. wow. no wonder i had so good sleep. but wait. the pillow barrier is gone. 
 
“i know youre soulmates. but yall could at least wait till you two are alone. what a beautiful love story” he clapped his hands sarcastically. 
 
“we did not have , baekhyun.” i stated through gritted teeth, emphasizing every syllabus.
 
“no, we totally did baekhyun. can you shut up now?” kai said in his sleep, shifting to a new position after i moved away from him. 
 
“in other words, hes tryna say that you were a dickhead for taking up the entire bed yesterday and snoring like a pig. now let him have more sleep,” i said as i got up and stretch.
 
“stop ganging up on me! im sorry kai” baekhyun said as he jumped on the bed and clung onto kai who was now awake. 
 
we took the first flight of the morning home. the taxi first dropped off baekhyun.
 
“well, i guess this trip has officially come to an end. it was so worth it. we found out what was the curse, and we bonded throughout the night. you know what i mean guys,” baekhyun grinned. 
 
“baekhyun get the off the car now” kai kicked his while baekhyun got out of the taxi.
 
“good riddance.” kai shook his head. “hes getting so bold and talkative for no reason. remember how he was so scared of you before? i miss that.” he said and i laughed.
 
“i like how we are now. im so thankful for both of you guys, to be very honest.” i beamed while looking at kai.
 
he didnt say anything back. heck, i only knew him for 2 weeks now. what am i saying?
 
“me too. i cant believe someone who i knew for only 2 weeks can actually change my life this much. thank you.” he finally said.
 
the taxi decided to stop at kai’s house first. 
 
“we are here, sir” the driver said.
 
“how much is it?” kai asked.
 
“no, kai. ill pay for the taxi fare. you go ahead and rest”
 
“i like a dominant woman” he said and i blushed. wow, how did he became so straight forward?
 
he got off the car and took his luggage. before he close the door, he said, “i enjoyed last night.” he winked and i panicked.
 
“ah uncle, he was just kidding. kai! please stop!”
 
“you screamed that last night too” he said as he evilly laughed at my reddened face.
 
“forget it. uncle, can we go? thanks” i playfully rolled my eyes.
 
“youre my soulmate remember? you cant run away from me forever”
 
“what a psychopath.” i shook my head.
 
“i see you move on to another girl.” a girl walked towards him from behind. “hi kai.” krystal cracked a small smile. how... is she out of jail? 
 
i worried for kai’s safety so much. should i speak up towards her? does me interfering make the problem worse or better? 
 
before i could do anything, the taxi driver drove away.
 
“please message me as soon as she leave” i typed quickly and clicked send.
 
i opened the entrance door quietly and slowly crept up to my room. phew. im safe.  my parents are probably still sleeping since its sunday.
 
“hey sorry si yoon. she just left.” kai replied.
 
instead of replying him, i called him.
 
“kai! how is she out?” i asked.
 
“money.” he replied. oh. of course.
 
“are you okay? i mean she tried to kill both of us.” i sighed.
 
“yeah. but she did threaten me... she doesnt want us to break up... if not she will hurt you again.” he said straightforwardly. 
 
i don’t know how to respond to him. what could we even do? she has the money and power to get out of jail.
 
“si yoon?” kai called me out as soon as i fell into silence.
 
“yeah? sorry, im just-“
 
“im not gonna throw you away. im just going to pretend to hang out with her like last time. she wont find me during the daytime. she havent done that before.” 
 
“kai.... as much as i disagree, i guess this is the most safest option... you have to let me know whenever youre home every night okay?” 
 
“yes i will.”
 
“alright, kai. ill let you rest today. we’ve already seen each other for a full 24 hours.” 
 
“so? its not like im sick of your face. i can see your face for another 24 hours.” he said and i blushed.
 
“only just another 24 hours? and then youll be sick of my face? ” i replied and he went speechless.
 
“youre really so brave with your words now, huh? dont make me say it. ill see you tomorrow morning.” he quickly said.
 
i laughed. “oh, kai. ill see you tomorrow morning.” 

“good morning uncle, good morning kai!” i chirped.
 
“did you seriously just greet uncle first?” kai whispered.
 
“of course. he saved our lives, kai. dont be jealous” i scoffed.
 
kai turned to me and placed his hands between my head.
 
“didnt i tell you to stop being to blunt with your words? because i wont be able to control myself.” he leaned in close to my ear and whispered.
 
“dont control yourself then” i said as i pushed his forehead away from me.
 
“wow, si yoon. you’ll be the death of me” he said and i smirked.
 
once we got to school, kai got off the car and waited for me to get off. i raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“are you waiting for me?” i asked.
 
“yeah i mean lets go together? we’re sitting right beside each other for this class anyways” 
 
“arent we suppose to be not friends?” 
 
“well, we’re not really friends to be exact, right?” kai replied with sass.
 
on the way to class baekhyun saw us.
 
“hey guys! how did your sunday go?” 
 
“it was good. i slept almost the entire day” i replied.
 
“of course. you had a romantic night with someone the day before”
 
“baekhyun!!” i exclaimed. “how about you, the lonely, single bird?”
 
“good. shared with the other monks about your situation. they were really happy for you. you’re the first case we have ever solved. ghost disappearing just by a touch? thats just incredible.” he smiled. “kai?”
 
“not good for me. krystal is out. she didnt had to go to jail because you know, money? i had to go the club yesterday and i forced myself to drink so much so i wouldnt be able to remember that i was hanging out with her.”
 
my heart break to see kai like this.
 
“aw man, shes literally a psychopath on the loose. take care, bro” 
 
“psychopath on the loose? who?” the low voice asked as he hooked his arms around baekhyun. “wowowow, am i seeing things? am i really seeing si yoon, kai and baekhyun walking to class together?” 
 
“er yeah... its been awhile” baekhyun replied sheepishly.
 
“didnt you hate her? wasnt you scared of her? like when? so are you all best friends now? are you guys still accepting applicants?” chanyeol said excitedly. 
 
“hey guys... and oh- hi si yoon?” sehun waved and his brows raised when he saw me.
 
“isnt it weird?” chanyeol asked. “si yoon, baekhyun and kai, walking to class together?”
 
sehun nodded his head, still in confusion why we’re all together.
 
“so who’s the psychopath on the loose?” 
 
“thats krystal.”
 
“who’s that? whats wrong with her?” 
 
“she’s the girl that kai always hang out with in the club. she stabbed si yoon with a glass shard in her thigh. thats why she was injured last week.”
 
“wait. why was she even with si yoon? im confused.” chanyeol asked.
 
“should we tell them everything?” i suggested.

“so wait... si yoon can see ghost, and kai is the only person who can get rid of it... which is why you two are so close... which makes krystal jealous? and you guys actually went to jeju together and found a cure? and we didnt even realize some scooby doo adventure was going on? you guys are seriously amazing” chanyeol complimented sarcastically, while clapping his hands. “so... soulmates huh? are you two lovers now?”
 
“no. we’re not forcing it on us because we just met not long. but im letting my feelings grow on her” he said and i blushed. 
 
the bell suddenly rang, indicating class is about to start.
 
“please keep it a secret okay?” i said as i looked at the group. i noticed sehun was so quiet. he didnt say a single word about it. i wonder how he feels.

after class, i walked towards sehun and sat down beside him. “hey sehun,”
 
i leaned in towards him. “how do you look at me now... after knowing that i can see ghosts?”
 
“no difference. but im a a bit disappointed that kai is your soulmate.” he admitted.
 
“you know... it was hard to believe it at first too. the first time i found out he was the only one who could get rid of ghosts and we werent on good terms, i was so afraid.” 
 
“that time... during the physical education class... when you ran towards me... were you running away from ghosts? were you trying to try out if i could also get rid of ghosts for you?” 
 
i nodded my head. 
 
“im sorry i wasnt able to help. i cant believe you were suffering so much and i was completely unaware.”
 
“sehun, no... we were meaning to hide everything about it. it was my choice to hide. i know if i tell you about it you will go out of your way to try and help me no matter what. so dont blame yourself.” 
 
“hey si yoon! hows your weekend?” daehee beamed at me and then turned to sehun. “hi sehun,” she blushed.
 
“it was great. went to jeju with some friends. how about you?”
 
“oh that must be so fun! i auditioned for sm modelling company and got accepted!”
 
“really! congratulations daehee!” i gave her a big hug.
 
“sm modelling company? im actually in that company too” sehun joined in.
 
“yes! oh my god! what a coincidence! hows it like?” she replied. i stood a step back and smiled at them chatting away. hopefully fate will be by their side.

“hey eunhye,” i said as i sat down beside her during lunch. 
 
“hey.” she smiled.
 
“wheres daehee?” i asked.
 
“she just left with sehun to the modelling company. apparently theres an event coming up so they have to pick up with their training” 
 
“oh i see...” 
 
“hey girls!” chanyeol said as he sat down beside eunhye.
 
kai and baekhyun followed after, with kai sitting beside me.
 
he suddenly gave me a quick tap on the thigh.
 
“any ghosts?” he mouthed.
 
“yeah. i saw one but it didnt chase me down, at least.” i replied.
 
“am i missing something?” eunhye asked with an eyebrow raised.
 
ah. do i seriously have to repeat the story again? 
 
chanyeol read my face and he spoke up. “ah, eunhye, its a long story. how about we move tables so i can tell you everything, while this lovebirds and a third wheel can have their alone time together?” 
 
“l-lovebirds?” eunhye repeated, as chanyeol dragged her to the next table by her shoulders.
 
after school, kai told me he wasnt able to go home with me like before. instead, he had to meet krystal. it was like the first time i met him.

one week later
 
school went by as normal. kai and i openly hung out with the rest. but as soon school was over kai runs off to meet krystal.
 
“hi uncle!” i greeted as soon as i got onto the car.
 
“hows school?” he asked.
 
“its good!” i smiled.
 
“thats a lie. i can see something is troubling you. whats wrong?” he turned back and looked at me.
 
hes right. everytime kai leaves my sight, i cant help but to worry for him.
 
the door suddenly flew open. 
 
“kai?” i asked as my eyes widened at the sight of him.
 
“hey” he said casually as he slides himself into the car.
 
“why are you here?” 
 
“because i miss you” he said and i became speechless and just blushed. 
 
“uncle, can you bring us to the mall?” kai asked as he took off his backpack and adjusted himself comfortable on the seat.
 
“kai, why are we here?” i asked again as soon uncle dropped us off here.
 
“im so sick and tired of krystal. ive already spend the week with her. one day wont hurt. ill just text her later that i have a quiz tomorrow.” he paused and then continued. “also because i want to spend some time with you.”
 
again, kai. leaving me speechless. 
 
“do you not want to spend time with me?” he asked, his face almost pouting. 
 
“well. i have no choice, dont i?” i smiled.

“i havent been to the arcade for a long time” i exclaimed as soon as we walked into the arcade. “i was a pro at car racing, just for your information”
 
“oh is this a threat? im down for a challenge” kai said as he took my hands and guided me to the car racing machine.

“how the heck are you so good at it? i give up!” kai playfully slammed his hand on the steering wheel. every single time i win he asked to play again. but now i am 4-1. that 1 was because I gave him a chance to win. 
 
he took my hands and we walked towards the claw machine.
 
“oh my god. a huge shibe toy!” 
 
“do you want that one?” he pointed and i nodded my head. 
 
“okay. let me get it.” he said as he rolled up his sleeves.
 
he put the coin in and the machine starts. he skillfully move the jolt and slammed onto the drop button. the machine picked up the toy and dropped into the exit box.
 
“just one try! im a pro at this.” he said and he picked up the toy.
 
it was literally at the exit. he was just lucky that it dropped at the exit. 
 
“alright alright, thank you kai” i smiled as i took the toy from him. 
 
“come on. lets see if youre good at shooting,” kai smirked and quickly took off.

“that was sucha weird movie, but it was so awesome.” he said as we exited the movie theatre.
 
“i know. like it was so chill at the beginning and then suddenly everyone started killing each other.” 
 
“yeah what a twist.” kai replied. “are you hungry?”
 
“yeah. should we do dinner together? i know a great chicken place nearby.” 
 
“oooo yes. i love chicken” kai beamed.
 
“oh, kai. a quiz huh?” that voice stopped us in our tracks. i thought i would not ever hear her voice again.
 
“krystal.” kai called out. “please dont do this.” we looked around and there was a lot of people around. 
 
“i thought you would be loyal, you know? i had to put a gps on you. i guess i was wrong.” she laughed as she walked closer to us.
 
“you remember what i told you? i will hurt her. and you know i dont go back on my words.” krystal took out a pocket knife from her pocket.
 
“si yoon, watch out!”

almost done with the story! stay tune for the last chapter (hopefully last!) does anyone want to gues what movie si yoon and kai watched? its a recent korean movie hehe