Chapter 4

Safe In Your Arms
“to which hospital?” i asked in panic. i didnt had to ask what happened to him. i knew he was injured. 
 
the taxi got to the hospital and i ran into the reception.
 
“may i know which room kai is?” 
 
“sorry miss, theres no such name here. perhaps do you know his full name?” 
 
no i dont. i only know him for a week. no. 5 days to be exact. 
 
“i-”
 
“kim jong in. my real name is kim jong in.” the familiar voice answered. i spun around and looked at him. i forgot whatever he said and sighed in relief.
 
“thank god youre okay! what happened?”  
 
“i was riding on my motorbike yesterday night. a car knocked me over”
 
“do you know who it is?” i asked worriedly.
 
“no. it was a hit and run. and there was no cctv in that area. i was riding really fast too, so it was my fault. luckily i only came out with some wounds, a sprained ankle and a broken finger.”
 
its probably because of me. the curse is starting to give bad luck to people around me. if i dont stay away from him, things will get worse.
 
“...im sorry to hear that. but im thankful that youre okay. i hope you can recover quickly. i have to get going.” 
 
“sorry for worrying you. i actually just saw your text.” he said.
 
“dont be. rest well, jong in.” i smiled. it felt weird calling him with his real name. it felt intimate.
 
i went home feeling worried. and scared. if jong in is receiving bad luck for being close to me, what about my parents? and luhan? i dont want anything bad happen to them.
 
“hey mum. hey dad.” i greeted as soon as i got home. “ill be going to a library later until late at night. i have a big project coming up. dont stay up and wait for me.” i said. i guess that would prevent them from getting the bad luck. for now it would be a good excuse.
 
i packed up and walked to the nearby park. it has a great view of the city. its weird how theres no one here.
 
once the sun set, it got colder and darker. i shivered with the thoughts of ghost appearing... when theres no kai.
 
i placed a blanket over me and put on my headphones. wow. this is lowkey cozy. i wouldnt mind staying like this as long as i can. 
 
i was about to fall asleep when i felt a tap on a shoulder.
 
“ahhhhhhhh!!!!” i threw my headphones onto the floor and screamed. 
 
“hey-“ kai’s face was right in front of me. he had a cheeky smile plastered on his face.
 
“what the hell? kai!” i hit him continuously because i was really scared.
 
“this is a bad joke” i finally said.
 
“i know i know. sorry.” he replied sincerely. its so weird to see him all... soft. and vulnerable. almost cute.
 
“wait. why are here anyways?” 
 
“the hospital is like a jail man. anyways, did you became homeless?” he said, after seeing me with a blanket wrapped around me.
 
i rolled my eyes in annoyance. “i just wanted to be here. its nice” i lied.
 
“how did you find out about this place? no one comes here”
 
“i dont know. i was just wandering around. how did you find me here?” 
 
“i didnt find you. this is a spot i always come to. almost everyday. to relax and to reflect. guess this is no longer my hiding spot” he joked.
 
i laughed. “sorry. ill just be occupying your space for today. ill pretend to forget after today”
 
“nah, you’re always welcome.” he replied and sat down beside me.
 
“i managed to break up with my girlfriend two days ago. she wasnt too happy.” kai opened up.
 
so that was his errand. “im sorry.” 
 
“it felt like i was trapped you know. she was so controlling, i didnt even felt it until now.” he said and then laughed it off.
 
“hows your boyfriend like?” he asked.
 
“hes very protective over me. but at the same time hes a scaredy cat.” i replied and he laughed.
 
“well i guess being protective is a good thing.” 
 
“not the scaredy cat?” i asked playfully.
 
he laughed again.
 
“anyways, why no one call you by your real name? why kai?” 
 
“kai is mysterious. isnt it?” he grinned. i rolled my eyes again.
 
“my father is a really rich man. it was because of privacy and safety reasons.” 
 
“can i call you jong in then?” i asked and he paused. looks like he was taking it in that im calling him by his real name.
 
“none of my friends know that name. and no one has ever called me that besides my parents. the last time they called me with that name is when i was 5.”
 
“oh wow...”
 
“just dont call me by that in public.” he replied and laid down on the grass. 
 
the wind got stronger. suddenly, i saw a pair of eyes looking at me behind the bushes.
 
i reached out to hold onto kai and i saw the ghost disappeared like smoke.
 
“did you just see a ghost?” he asked. i nodded my head. 
 
“do you know where youre touching?” he asked and i turned to look at him.
 
i was touching his navel, dangerously close to crotch.
 
“im sorry!” i scooted away.
 
he laughed and we kept quiet after. the wind got stronger and then suddenly i heard the tree branch cracked above us.
 
“hey jong in, i think we should-“
 
i looked up and saw a huge tree branch falling. kai followed and then suddenly got on top of me. i shut my eyes and felt kai fell on top of me. 
 
“are you okay?” i screamed. 
 
he groaned. i couldnt help but to hug him.
 
“why did you do that!” i shouted. 
 
“im okay. its okay.” he said as he quickly got off me.
 
“youre not okay!” i stood up. “youre getting injured because of me!” 
 
“si yoon...” 
 
“you know why im here? its not because its nice! its because i dont want anything bad happen to my parents from being too close to them! but now you keep coming to me when i dont want anything bad happen to you anymore! 
 
“please go back to the hospital. please stay away from me.” i said as i packed my stuff. 
 
“goodbye, kai.” i said coldly and ran off, ignoring his voice. 
 
saturday
“si yoon. your boyfriend is here. good afternoon by the way” my mum said as i jumped out of bed.
 
i felt like i barely slept. i feel so restless.
 
i quickly freshen up and ran down the stairs.
 
“baby,” the long missed familiar face looked at me.
 
“luhan,” i ran up to him and hug him.
 
“i miss you so much” he pulled away from the hug and placed his hands on my shoulder.
 
“i miss you more,” i ruffled his fluffy hair.
 
after having lunch together, i gave luhan a tour around the house.
 
“sorry babe, but this house really give me the creeps” luhan shivered as soon as we climbed up to the attic.
 
“yeah same, to be honest” i whispered back to him, hoping it would come off like a joke.
 
“really? am i hearing this from someone who enjoys horror?” luhan teased as he looked around.
 
“oh? whats this?” luhan bend down and picked up a paper. 
 
he flipped the paper around. “its a photo” 
 
i leaned in and took a look. “oh, this must be the old couple-“ i felt like my heart stopped. “and... theres a kid.” 
 
“yeah. wow... this picture looks like in belongs to the museum. this is pretty cool, not gonna lie.” luhan said as he passed the picture to me and then proceed to climb down from the ladder.
 
i whipped out my phone and tap onto baekhyun and started typing.
 
“hey babe, you coming down?” luhan asked from downstairs.
 
“yup coming!” i shouted back.
 
“baekhyun. i found out something. please call m-“ 
 
i saw a ghost coming towards me and i couldnt avoid.

“si yoon... are you okay?” i opened my eyes and saw kai. i looked around and realized i was in my room.
 
“what happened?” i asked.
 
“you were possessed. i came over and i saw you... looking not like yourself. i tapped you and then you just fainted.” kai whispered.
 
oh my god. i was possessed. 
 
“wheres luhan?” i asked.
 
“hes abit in shock and i told him to rest in the guest room. but i dont think he thinks you're possessed. i told him that we have been working on a big school project and you havent had proper rest for the past few days. i think he believes it. i guess he was in shock to see you completely unconscious” he explained.
 
“thank you so much... for that and also saving me. why did you come over, anyway?” i asked.
 
“i was... worried. and im glad that i made the decision to come here.” 
 
“but... how did you know i was possessed?”
 
“your eyes... they looked dead.” he said, almost hesitantly.
 
“sorry. i shouldnt have asked. thank you for being so strong, despite being scared of ghosts.” i unknowingly took his hands.
 
he shook his head. “im strong because you are. if you werent so strong-willed, i would have remained scared.” he held my hands back.
 
the door suddenly flew open.
 
luhan looked at our intertwined hands and i quickly pulled away.
 
“are you okay?” luhan ran towards me and took my hands.
 
“im okay.” i gave him a smile.
 
“ok dude... i can take it from here. you can leave” he looked at kai.
 
“my name’s kai. and are you sure?” he turned to look at me.
 
of course not. i needed kai. but luhan’s protective side will never allow that.
 
i nodded my head. “thank you,” i mouthed to him as he left.
 
“so who was that dude?” luhan asked as soon as he left.
 
“a classmate. he lives around here” i replied and then he just looked at me. maybe he wanted to ask more questions like usual, but he noticed that i look tired. 
 
we ended up talking about the past and he filled me in about school without me.
 
“i wish fei could have visited me too. imagine how much fun we could have in this huge mansion?” i said and i saw that he hesitated abit before he laughed. that was strange.
 
once luhan left to cook dinner, i placed my hands in my pocket and i felt a paper inside. i pulled it out and looked at the photograph again. I then checked my phone and noticed that i didnt send out my message to baekhyun yet. i tapped send and then i closed my eyes. 
 
i suddenly felt a vibration and looked my phone. there was no reply. i looked around i saw luhan’s phone on my bed.
 
deciding to give him privacy, i lay back down and closed my eyes.
 
the phone starting ringing and i got up again. it must be an emergency.
 
i picked up luhan’s phone and noticed it was fei. aww. she must have knew that i fainted. i was about to tap the answer when she hung up. 
 
1 missed call from fei.
 
1 text message from fei.
 
“i miss you” 
 
no... it cant be. that must be referring to me, right? I unlocked the phone with our anniversary date and it unlocked. 
 
“you have to tell her that you have to break up because of you cant do long distance” 
“no i dont think i can. we have been dating for long”
“yeah... but shes living there for good. you cant do long distance forever right? would you rather cheat on her or break up with her?” 
“i will try”
“you better. i dont want to be a replacement of her or a side chick.” 
 
i was more angry than sad. maybe because all these years luhan was so protective over me thinking this was something he would never do. or maybe because he was cheating on me with a friend who was my best friend.
 
i was conflicted whether to confront him or not. we’ve been together so long, and im embarrass that i have to confront him about cheating on me. im sure i would break down crying while confronting. since he is planning to break up with me this trip, i will pretend i never knew anything.
 
i walked down quietly and saw the entire kitchen in a huge mess. luhan has flour all over his face. he has a laptop on the table in front of him, replaying the video over and over again. 
 
“ugh, why cant i get this right?” he said almost in frustration while perfecting the fried wonton. 
 
how can i get mad at someone who looked like he really love me?
 
“luhan,” i called him out and walked towards him.
 
“hey babe. im tryna cook you fried wonton, your favourite.” he turned to look at me and smiled.
 
“thanks baby. anyways, heres your phone,” i said as i studied his face.
 
“o-oh, did i leave it in the room?” he said cluelessly and he took the phone from me.
 
wow. i almost laughed in annoyance. either hes a good actor or hes not guilty at all.
 
the door bell rung.
 
“you sure have a lot of visitors, huh?” luhan said and i could hear a spite of jealousy.
 
ignoring him, i ran towards the door and opened it.
 
“baekhyun?” my eyes widened.
 
“what is it? i came here as soon as i saw your text” 
 
i laughed. “you could have just replied, and then i can send you the picture-“
 
“oh i thought it was the kai dude. who’s this?” luhan said, putting his arms over me.
 
“a-ah!” he also screamed. he probably thought it was a ghost. “ah, sorry. im baekhyun. you are?”
 
“cant you see? im her boyfriend.” he said almost arrogantly. ha, he doesnt even know baekhyun was scared of me 3 days ago. 
 
“good to know...?” he replied with a hint of confusion. “is it not a right time? should i go?” 
 
“ye-“ 
 
“its okay.” i cut him. “since youre already here, might as well come in. though im sure you dont want to be here for long.” i said jokingly.
 
we walked to the living room and baekhyun sat down on a sofa. i took a seat on another sofa and luhan sat beside me. i rolled my eyes and quickly mouthed to him that luhan doesnt know anything.
 
“anyways... i actually fainted today while i was giving him a tour around the house.” i emphasized the word of fainted. 
 
“a-ah really!” baekhyun’s eyes widened. it was a serious matter, but because luhan was here, i couldnt tell him how scared i was.
 
“anyways, we found this,” i took out the picture from my pocket and gave it to baekhyun.
 
baekhyun took the picture and looked at it before it hit him. 
 
“man... this is serious. this is a true mystery.” 
 
“what mystery?” luhan asked. 
 
“nothing. when are you leaving?” he asked out of the blue.
 
“tomorrow. why?”
 
“good. no reason, bro” he said and i grinned. this dude got balls. 
 
“anyways, its time for me to go. it doesnt seems like im invited here. thanks for the picture, si yoon. ill catch up with you on monday” baekhyun said as he stood up.
 
“no dude. you dont have to catch up with her. cant you see she has a boyfriend?” luhan stopped him in his tracks.
 
“why are you like this?” i asked. i almost frustrated at this point.
 
“im just worried for you... si yoon. because youre so pretty, i dont want any guys to take advantage of you.” 
 
i laughed hysterically. “you’ve got to be kidding me”
 
“what?” luhan asked. 
 
“are you sure no guys are taking advantage of me?”
 
“him?” luhan asked confusingly as he pointed to baekhyun.
 
“no.” i took his hands and moved his pointed finger to himself. “you,” i smirked. 
 
“what did i do? how am i taking advantage of you?”
 
“arent you here for an errand? youre not really here for me right?”
 
“what do you mean?” 
 
“suddenly loss of memory, eh? let me remind you then. ah... who was it.... was it the replacement fei? the replacement want you to break up with me because shes tired of being the side chick. aw, how sad.” 
 
“thats not all to it. i can explain!” 
 
“go ahead. im listening.”
 
“she said the time we started dating... she had already liked me. she wanted to try and date me for a week... but i never knew she wanted me to break up with you. i swear.”
 
“boohoo, thats too sad. you know thats still cheating right? and youre taking advantage of me? how dare you become so protective over me and think you have the right to cheat behind my back.”
 
“baby” luhan protested. “she really made it hard for me to say no.”
 
i looked at his face and felt bad. luhan can get very protective over me, but he is someone who can easily get persuaded by others. i softened my gaze at him.
 
“if you love me that much... no matter how pressured you are... you will never give in, luhan. we’ve been together for so long. we’re more stronger than that.” i sighed.
 
he was about to speak up when i cut him. 
 
“it doesnt seem like long distance would work. especially in a situation like this. who knew fei was like this? it should have been suspicious because she has never called and texted me once ever since i left that town. i think we should take a break. im also done being overly protected by you. youve chased away all the good friends i could have.”
 
“im so sorry-“ luhan said softly, his voice filled with guilt and sadness.
 
“stay here tonight. and you should leave tomorrow morning.” i maintained my composure and walked away from him.
 
“sorry you had to witness this, baekhyun. ill see you on monday.” i gave him a small quick grin to show him im alright by myself. he nodded and then left.
 
i never talked to luhan once until the next morning.
 
and the only thing i told him was this: “tell fei she just lost her one and only best friend.”
 
my phone vibrated. “hey, just checking on you. you doing ok without me?”  kai asked.
 
“i think i am.”
 
“okay. ill check on you again later.”
 
monday
baekhyun texted us and wanted to meet up before class starts.
 
“hey si yoon. i gave you a day to rest. i hope you’re over your break up, because i have some news for you.”
 
“break up?” kai asked.
 
“yeah. apparently luhan cheated on her with her best friend”
 
“what the ? wasnt he like, the most loving and protective boyfriend?” he said in a way that irks me.
 
“exactly. like how the would i know, kai? its already over, so lets not talk about it.” we almost had our first fight, but i was too tired to even talk about it.
 
“the picture that you found? the kid was their child. apparently he died around this age in the picture.”
 
“what? i think im missing something out.”
 
“oh right.” baekhyun said as he pulled out the photograph from his bag and showed it to him.
 
“remember the day si yoon got possessed? they were in the attic when luhan found this on the floor.”
 
“why didnt you tell me that time?” kai turned to me.
 
“well, first, luhan was watching us like a hawk. two, i was really out of it back then.”
 
“okay, okay... whats next?” kai asked baekhyun.
 
“not sure if youre ready for this, but...” baekhyun sighed and my heart raced.
 
“the kid hung himself.”

not too sure if this cliffhanger was cliche or not lol. I planned this story way back in 2014, but couldnt really remember if this was the route I was going for. i hope ill be able to finish this story by the end of this year! i have not write anyhting beyond this chapter, but i am guessing there would be around 2 chapters left (also because i want it to be completed so i can move on to my other uncompleted fics). if you enjoy this story and want more stories like this, you can read my other fanfics that are already completed! see you in the next chapter xx