Pt. 2

Confessions

Mondays.

Words aren’t even enough to express how much you dread them. Most people dislike it because it meant having to go to work after a 2 day vacation. Others because then they’d have to face the reality of school and studying. For you, it was a bit of the last one plus the fact that you’ll probably be seeing Mingyu again.

You have anything against him, of course. Even in the past, Mondays were terrible. But this time, it was just really confusing how you should act when you see him. You don’t hate him. But you’re not sure if you like him too. Not in the same way he feels towards you. Well, he obviously is a special person in your life now. Without him and his power of attracting people towards him, making friends or simply interacting with them would’ve been a struggle. But because he was there, it was a lot easier. And it was fun being with him. Of course there’s also the fact that he constantly annoys you but now, you could just imagine how boring your school life would’ve been without him. But was it all just that? Do you like him because you actually like him? Or maybe because he felt just like a brother? A close friend? Because he confessed, things would never be the same again. And before you make any decision, you had to make sure that it was true.

“So…I heard something big happened last Friday,” Mingyu’s cousin told you during lunch.

Suddenly, your cheesecake didn’t look as appetizing as before. “Uh…what do you mean?” you asked back, your eyes locked on your dessert.

“You know. The thiiiing,” she teased.

You didn’t answer and continued to stare at your cheesecake.

“Hey. I’m talking to you. Or do you want me to call Jihoon here?”

You looked up, brows creased in confusion. “What?”

“Uhm, Jihoon? Your one-on-one date last Friday? Mingyu told me Jihoon ditched,” she said as she took a bite of her lunch.

“He told you that?”

“Yeah he did,” she said matter-of-factly.

You gulped. “What else did he tell you?” you said carefully, hoping that she won’t ask anything else.

“That’s all,” a voice from behind you said.

Crap.

“Right on time,” your friend greeted Mingyu. “You can have these” she said, sliding her tray of food towards Mingyu as he sat down beside you.

“Thanks. Hi there,” he patted your head, smiling like always, like it was the most normal thing to do in your current situation.

You looked at him, not sure whether you’re going to kill him for telling or kill him for what happened last Friday night (which was pretty much the reason why you weren’t able to sleep well that night). He must’ve noticed your expression when he turned and gave you a reassuring smile. Reassurance for what? You honestly had no idea.

Like usual, lunch time passed by with the two of them talking and bickering. You were about to go when Mingyu called your name. You turned to him and saw a serious look on his face. “I did meant what I said that night.”

Remembering what happened was enough to make your face go red. You started walking away when he called out again.

“Think about it. I’m willing to wait so take your time.”

This time, you didn’t turn back.

 

It’s been a busy week for you, not only in academics but also because of Mingyu. Whenever you met each other, he never fails to remind you of what happened, although most of the time it was just your imagination running wild. Still, it felt kind of…wrong. You never really minded if he hugged you or had his arm around you. But ever since, you worried about leading him on unintentionally. And because of that, you might have been avoiding him at times.

Tuesday afternoon. You were hanging out with your friends just outside your classroom when Mingyu came up behind you and hugged you, placing his chin on your shoulder. Normally, you would’ve threatened his life. But this time, you stood still, not daring to do anything until he eventually went away.

Wednesday after class. You were on your way to eat at a newly opened restaurant with his cousin when he came running towards you both, placing an arm on both your and your friend’s shoulder, begging her to treat him because they won in a game earlier at p.e. He even sat across you, eating and laughing like normal, stopping to stare and smile at you at times.

Thursday. It was stupid but any sight of someone as tall as him was enough to make your heart beat like crazy. Ironically, he wasn’t even at school, as you found out. He was at home because he was so tired from who knows what that he actually had a fever.

Thursday night, he called because apparently, his cousin told him about you worrying and that made him feel so much better that he just had to call you. Of course, you scolded him for not taking care of himself properly that you forgot about your current situation. Not until you both said your good nights and when he reminded you just how much he likes you. After hanging up, you were wondering if maybe by some miracle you caught his fever too.

The next morning during class, you found it impossible to focus at all with your seatwork because his voice kept on saying ‘I like you’ in your head. 

“Ugh! He drives me nuts!” you exploded. Reminded of your past outburst, you looked up to check whether you were in the library or not. Yep. You’re not. There were a couple of students outside the building but they were far enough so nobody really took notice. No one, except this laughing purple-haired boy who was walking towards you.

I have a talent with embarrassing myself to people I like, haven’t I?

“You know, you never fail to crack me up with your sudden rants.” He said as he stopped in front of you.

“Just because you caught me twice doesn’t mean I do it all the time though” you said, your gaze following him as he sat beside you.

“Remember that time when Mingyu first backhugged you? You yelled at him so loudly that time cause he surprised you so bad. Also when he accidentally made you drop your drink when he ran to you and hugged you? That was…hilarious.” He ended quietly looking down with a smile on his face.

You looked at him in astonishment, the scenes he mentioned playing in your head. “Were you…were you watching me?” you said slowly. “I mean, pssh, of course not.” You laughed. “Sorry, that was a stupid question. Of course you’d know. You’re Mingyu’s best friend.”

And the awkwardness settled in.

“Well…” he started. “Yeah, I knew because he’s my best friend but also because…I’ve been watching the person that I liked this whole time.” He said, still looking down, his ears getting redder by the second.

“…what?”

“Geez. You heard me already.” He whined.

“Oh…oh. So…you’re…you and…”

Jihoon looked at you, waiting for you to finish your sentence when he realized what you’re trying to say and flicked you lightly on the forehead. “That’s not what I meant.” He said in pure disbelief.

You winced at the pain, furiously rubbing your forehead. “That hurts!”

“He’s right. You’re really dense.” He said as he shook his head.

“What? What do you mean I’m dense?” you stopped, looking at him.

Jihoon looked up and closed his eyes, feeling the slight breeze, his hair looking like cotton candy under the warmth of the sun.

“I like you, you know.”

You snapped back to reality and focused your gaze on him. “I’m sorry, what?”

“I said I like you. Well, I used to anyway.”

“…used to?”

Eyes still closed, he smiled. “I’ve always been watching you.” He opened his eyes and quickly turned to you. “Wait no, that sounded creepy. I didn’t mean it like that.”

And with that, you laughed. Both of you did.

“I first saw you when you were in the library. Sleeping.” He chuckled at the memory. “I was on duty that time, trying to relax from all the unnecessary stress outside, trying to find peace. I had permission to close early and enjoy being alone when I saw you. I tried to wake you up but you were mumbling about pizza and Mingyu being a giant. It was weird but amusing so I left you to your interesting dream for 5 more minutes. But once I sat back down, you woke up and rushed to pack up your stuff and left, muttering about being late on meeting Mingyu. Thinking back, we almost always met that way” he smiled.

“Is – is that so?” It was your turn to look down in embarrassment. Out of all the ways you could meet someone, that, by far, was the stupidest one, you thought.

“Yeah. Always on a rush towards Mingyu,” he said facing you. “I liked you but I knew right then how important he was to you.” Taking the opportunity of you being speechless, he continued, “and towards you, Mingyu…well,” he sighed, looking back at the sky, “I won’t spoil anything.”

Jihoon looked back at you and saw you turn scarlet red. “Hold on. Did he finally…?”

Not trusting your voice, you managed to nod in response.

“He did, huh?” he laughed, his head hung low. “I guess he beat me again” he muttered.

“He told me last Friday.”

“That day? You mean when I –”

“Ditched me?” you turned, raising an eyebrow at him. Before he could answer, you let out a small laugh. “I’m kidding. But yes. That night, when we were supposed to do homework, well, he kept me companied. But after hanging out…”

“I see. He actually confessed properly.”

“Yeah. I guess he did,” you said, looking at him. “And you knew?”

Jihoon smiled softly. “Not exactly. But I saw how he looked at you. I knew why he kept on sticking close to you. I mean, he’s my best friend. I would know even if it took time for him to tell me. And honestly, I would’ve done the same if only I was brave enough.”

“What – but you have a girlfriend don’t you?” your tone suddenly sounding accusing. “So why are you telling me this now?”

“Why? Am I confusing you now? Because then that would mean that you’re seriously considering him,” he said teasingly as he stood up. “And as for me and my girlfriend, that’s a whole different story.” He stepped forward but turned back to you smiling. “Mingyu’s a good kid. He doesn’t look like it but he’s definitely a reliable person. Sometimes, I even forget that he’s younger.” And he walked away, leaving you finally with your thoughts on Mingyu.