Remedy

An Ode to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hajin had always hated studying. Truly, truly, hated studying. But she could always do it, she was good at it even, but she hated sitting still and focusing on one thing. She lacked the discipline or the will to do it. It was just so boring. 

 

Sure, she was smart. She was capable of getting good grades and she breezed right through school and with a little effort, and to everybody's surprise, had graduated from Seoul University with degree in Korean Literature. But academia had never been a priority for her. She went to a good university and graduated to appease her parents but she had always enjoyed arts more, she enjoyed interactions with people. So when she graduated, she became a makeup artist. She never brought up her degree and never even thought about her studies after she had graduated. She had given her parents what they wanted, and Minjae, the one who truly liked studying, could have all the glory of being the golden boy who graduated from Seoul University’s med program. She was always proud of him. 

 

But when she had finally made up her mind and decided that she wanted to go back and get here masters in Korean History, everybody around her was shocked. She was shocked herself. But this sounded like the most logical solution to her issue. What better way was there to make up for her mistakes then to graduate from the best university in the country and educate people. It was the only way she could correct anything. 

 

A girl who hated to study, voluntarily resuming her studies at the age of twenty five. Her parents were confused to say the least, but they couldn’t very well object to her wanting an education and even if they did, there was nothing they could do to change her mind anyways, they knew that all too well. And her sweet little brother had done everything in his power to help her reach her goal. 

 

She had spent months studying for the various tests that she had to take to qualify for the program and visiting her old professors and advisers, hoping to get good recommendation letters, buttering everybody up, she was determined to do it. She couldn’t afford to fail. 

 

And her hard work paid off. She had passed the all the tests and initial stages with flying colours and now all that was left was a face to face meeting with the heads of the department and if she passed, she would be in. 

 

“Miss Go Hajin, the professor will be here shortly, can I offer you something to drink?” The receptionist said, leading her to the interview room.

 

“Yes, water would be great. Thank you.” 

 

“Take a seat, I’ll be right back with your water.” Hajin smiled at the receptionist and took a seat in her chair. 

 

Hajin was excited that the day had finally come and she could finally get this over with. She wasn’t nervous in the least. Stuff like this had always been her strong suit and she was prepared, armed with the knowledge of hitting the books and literally witnessing some of these events, there probably wasn’t anybody else in this school who knew more details than she did. 

 

“Here’s your water. Professor Choi will be right in.” 

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Miss Go Hajin? Nice to meet you, I’m professor Choi.” 

 

You know what wasn’t her strong suit? Being humble. Damn her and her damn jinxes because there was apparently one person who knew the history of Goryeo better than anybody in the world. 

 

Hajin in the bitterness as she looked up to see that it was indeed Jimong. The Choi Jimong. 

 

“Nice to meet you professor Choi.” Hajin said quizzically. He looked the same as he did two month ago but this time there was a snakiness to her tone that there hadn’t been before.

 

“Take a seat. I take this as you remembering everything.” 

 

Hajin nodded, unable to believe her sheer dumb lack. 

 

“What kind of coincidence is it that you happen to be a professor here?”

 

“I’ve already told you aghassi, there is no such thing as coincidences, only things returning to their original places.”

 

“So did you know that I would be seeing you here today?” 

 

“Not knew, as much as guessed. Anyways, shall we move on to the interview?” 

 

Hajin nodded, glad to move away from the topic of coincidences. Jimong’s words were like a curse to her. 

 

“So, miss Go Haejin, what made you want to return to school after all this time, and why Korean history?”

 

Hajin wished that Jimong didn't look so amused. He made it so clear that he was just humouring her. 

 

“I became very interested in ancient history and how the world came to be the way it was after a near death experience.” 

 

“Interesting. So do you have any special skills or talents that you think are worth mentioning?” 

 

Jimong was really enjoying this too much. She wished that So was here so that he could smack Jimong on the head but she guess that ship has sailed a long time ago 

 

“I can read and write Hanja and can decipher ancient texts. I have a very good understanding of herbs and medicine and early Goryeo history. Also, I can apparently time travel and see the future.” Hajin replied dryly. 

 

“Wow Miss Go Hajin, that’s very interesting. Everything checks out and you seem more than qualified and I’d be honoured to offer you a position in our program.” 

 

“That’s it? Are you messing with me.” Hajin said, eyes narrowing as her head filled with suspicions. 

 

“Not at all. I’m being totally serious. I can take you under my wing and I will teach you everything you need to know and fill in any gaps for you.” 

 

“Really?” Hajin said. She was shocked by the sudden flood of sincerity in his voice but she was still doubtful. 

 

“Yes, really. It’s really good to see you again, Soo aghassi. I’m glad to see that you seem to be doing better.” 

 

This is when Hajin knew that Jimong was being genuine, that he truly meant what he said. 

 

“Do you have time to have a meal together?” Hajin heard herself learning. There were so many things that she needed to find out and needed to hear and he was the man with the answers. 

 

_________________________

 

“Can you tell me about… them.” Hajin hesitated. She didn’t know how to look at them as something that was abstract. 

 

“Are you sure you want to hear it now, here?” 

 

“It’s better to hear it from you and I need to know.” 

 

“After you died… the king was crushed. He had only found out about your letters after you had passed. But he got them eventually after a whole lot of misunderstandings. But in the end, he got them and he understood that you loved him.” 

 

“He didn’t hate me?” Hajin had been convinced that the reason that all the letters and messengers that she had sent that went unanswered was a result of him still resenting her but knowing the truth know, she wasn’t sure if she should be happy or sad. 

 

“No, he could never hate you, aghassi. He regretted not seeing the letters. Every single day, he regretted it. By the time he had arrived you were gone. And Seol aghassi lived a fine life. The king found out about her when she was around six years old.” 

 

“H-he knew about Seol? You knew about Seol? So does that mean that Yeonhwa.. did anybody try to hurt her?”

 

“Yes, he ran into her by chance in the palace and at the point, he just.. knew. The fourteenth prince told him of your wishes and he understood that and did everything in his power to protect her. He wanted so badly to bring her into the palace, but he never did. He loved her dearly and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter