Chapter 7

Restart Our Lives

The next morning, Taemin started crying in his sleep. "No....don't hurt him.... please don't hurt hyung!"

 

"Tae, you're okay." Key said, pulling him into his arms.

 

Taemin woke up and freaked out. "Don't hurt him!" He screamed.

Key held him, worried. "Tae?"

Taemin looked at him and clung to him. "I'm sorry...I let him hurt you so much..."

Key held him close. "No, it's not your fault...."

 

Minho ran in. "Are you okay?"

Taemin shook his head. "No, I should have become stronger and stopped him. I should have fought him for you. I'm sorry!" He cried.

Key held him close. "I was fighting him for you. I did everything I could to keep you safe. I wish I could have done more...."

Taemin shook his head. "You did your best. He was harder on you than me. He was horrible to you compared to me."

Key kissed his forehead. "It's not your fault."

 

Taemin clung to him. He wouldn't look at Minho.

Minho sat on the edge of the bed.

Taemin curled up, his body shaking.

Minho frowned.

 

Key curled up as well.

Jonghyun came in. "What's wrong? Is everything okay? I heard screaming?"

Taemin uncurled and held his arms out to Minho.

Minho pulled Taemin into his arms. Key looked at his hands.

Taemin clung to Minho.

 

Jonghyun frowned. He went over to Key. "What's wrong?" He Key's cheek.

Key curled up in his arms.

"Let’s make some breakfast." Jonghyun said.

Taemin clung to Minho as they all went downstairs.

 

Mrs. Choi had left to run some errands, so the boys were home alone.

 

Jonghyun started cooking, watching Key closely.

Key watched Taemin as Minho held him.

Jonghyun made everyone's plates and sat down next to Key.

 

Taemin hid his face in Minho's chest, not wanting to eat.

Minho held the food to his mouth.

Taemin kept his mouth shut.

"Come on Taemin." Minho said.

 

Taemin shook his head and hid his face in Minho's chest.

 

Jonghyun frowned. "Taemin, come on. You were doing so good. Don't let a nightmare ruin your progress."

Minho held him close, rubbing his back. "Today's our day off school."

Jonghyun sighed. "Yeah. What do you want to do today?"

 

Key just looked at his food.

Jonghyun frowned and held some food to his lips. "Eat please."

Key slowly ate.

Jonghyun smiled. He looked at the other boy. "You need to eat, Taemin. It's important. If you want to go to school, you need to eat and be strong."

 

Taemin looked at the food on his plate. He then looked at Key and started to eat, taking little bites.

Minho smiled.

Taemin ate half of his plate, then sat up. He knew that Jonghyun was right. Key was weaker than him and he needed to be strong so that his older brother could heal and become strong again.

Key looked at his hands.

Jonghyun rubbed his back. "It's okay, Key."

Key clung to him.

Jonghyun held him and continued to feed him.

Key was quiet.

"He's going to be okay and you're getting stronger too. You didn't freak out when he did and that's good. You stayed strong and comforted him."

Key yawned.

Jonghyun frowned. "Did you not sleep last night?"

Key shook his head.

Jonghyun frowned. "Why not? You could have come into my room."

"I didn't want to leave Taemin...."

"Oh. I'm sure he would be fine. Getting some sleep is important." Jonghyun said. "You should take a nap. I'll lay down with you."

Key curled up to him.

Jonghyun held him close.

 

Taemin curled up to Minho.

"Do you want to go on a date?" Minho asked.

Taemin blushed. "Yes." He remembered what they did on their last date, making his face go completely red.

Minho blushed too. "We won't do that again..."

Taemin looked at his hands. "I liked it..."

"I did too...." Minho said.

Taemin blushed even harder. "What do you want to do? We can go out...I want to get used to being around a lot of people..."

"Let's go out to eat. We'll go to a small restaurant. I don't want to overwhelm you."

 

Taemin nodded. "Okay." He laid his head on Minho's shoulders. "I like hanging out with you. You make me feel safe."

Minho smiled. "I'm glad."

Taemin smiled back and kissed his cheek.

Minho smiled. "Let's get ready."

Taemin nodded. He ran to his room and got dressed. He changed into a pair of tight black skinny jeans that complemented his legs and and a nice plaid button up shirt and a black tank top that made his chest look nice. He went downstairs and waited for Minho. He looked at Key. "We're going on a date. I'll be back soon, okay hyung?"

Key nodded.

Taemin smiled and waited by the door.

Minho finished dressing and came down as well.

Taemin smiled. "Let’s go!"

Minho chuckled. "Okay."

 

Taemin held his hand and they left to a small restaurant. There weren't many people so Taemin wasn't too freaked out. He still held onto Minho's arm.

Minho smiled. They sat on opposite sides.

Taemin looked around. "This is nice..." He was still a little uneasy. He gripped onto his seat when the waiter came over. He was an older man, something Taemin wasn't good around.

Minho ordered for them. "Can we get two steaks?"

 

"Of course. Anything else?" The waiter looked at Taemin, making the boy a little more scared. He quickly looked at the ground, not wanting to look at the older man.

 

"C-can I get a chocolate shake..." Taemin asked.

 

"Sure." The waiter said.

Minho smiled at Taemin. "That's all."

The waiter nodded and left.

 

Taemin looked up. "I still get scared around older men..."

 

"It's okay. You're getting so much better."

Taemin couldn't help but smile a little. "It's because of you. I wouldn't be healing if I didn't have you by my side. You mean so much to me."

 

Minho smiled. "I'm glad you came to live with us."

 

Taemin smiled more. "I'm glad too. Your mom is the one we need to thank for that. It was her idea to take us in. Key and I are both healing and it's thanks to your family. If we would have stayed in the home, we probably would have been scared the rest of our lives. Key would have never started talking and I would still be the one protecting him. It was always scary acting like the older brother. I was always worried that I'd fail him..."

 

Minho took his hand. "You were a great brother."

 

Taemin shrugged. "I had to be. Key needed me and he was more broken than me. I had to stay strong for him and care for us both. I had to take his roll so that we could stay alive..." A few tears fell down his face. Our father would tell me that we should just die..."

 

Minho got up and hugged Taemin. "You're safe now."

Taemin clung to him. "I know...we both feel safe around your family and it's nice. Your mother and father are good people. You're really lucky."

 

"I know." Minho smiled.

 

Taemin looked at his hands. "I wish we could stay forever. But we'll have to leave soon and go back to the home center..."

 

 "We can visit."

 

Taemin nodded. "Yeah..."

Minho kissed his cheek. "Maybe you can stay longer."

Taemin frowned. "I don't want to depend on your family too much. You guys have helped us so much already. I want to get a job so that I can earn money and save up for a house."

"We want to though."

Taemin smiled. "I know but I need to learn to depend on myself too. Key and I have only depended on each other for so long. It's weird depending on other people."

"It shouldn't be though." Minho frowned.

Taemin frowned too. "But it is. We've only had each other and now we have your family."

Minho kissed his cheek.

Taemin looked at him. 

 

The waiter came back with their food.

 

Taemin froze again and looked at his hands.

"Thanks," Minho said.

The waiter smiled and left.

 

Taemin stayed looking at the ground. "A-are there older men teachers at your school? What if I get one? I can't take that class. I'll be scared and I won't learn and..." Taemin rambled, freaking out.

Minho went over to him and pulled him into his lap. "You'll be okay."

Taemin curled up to him. "What if I'm not? What if Key never fully heals either?"

"You both will."

 

Taemin sighed. "I hope so. I'm tired of getting so scared of people. I want to be strong for Key and not be scared of anything but I can't help it. Seeing men...it reminds us of our father and the horrible things he's done to us...mostly Key...I've had to watch him get hurt and ..." Small tears fell down his cheeks. "I don't want anyone to hurt him again...and if I'm scared...I can't protect him..."

 

Minho held him close. "You will."

 

Taemin looked at his hands.

 

The waiter came over. "Is everything okay?"

Minho nodded.

Taemin curled up more.

 

"Okay. Let me know if you need anything." The waiter said and left.

 

Taemin laid his head on Minho's chest for a bit before sitting up. "I'm okay now." He sat back in his seat and started to eat. He didn't want to completely ruin their date with him crying and acting like a needy baby.

"Do you want me to get you banana milk?"

 

Taemin looked up at him and nodded. "Yes please."

Minho ordered him some banana milk.

 

Taemin smiled. "Thank you." He grabbed Minho's hand and interlocked their fingers.

 

Minho smiled.  Taemin smiled and kissed his cheek. He then started feeding Minho.

Minho smiled and ate. Taemin smiled back. Once Minho finished his plate, he opened his mouth to let Minho know to feed him. Minho smiled and fed him.

Taemin giggled and ate.

Minho chuckled. "Do you like it?"

 

Taemin nodded. "It's really good!"

 

The waiter brought in a glass of banana milk. Taemin took a sip happily.

 

Minho smiled.

Taemin smiled back and finished eating. "Where do you want to go now?"

"You can pick."

 

"Can we hang out at a park? It's getting dark so no one will be out." Taemin said.

Minho smiled. "That sounds like fun."

 

Taemin nodded.

 

They paid for their meal and walked to a small park. Taemin sat down on a swing and watched the sunset. "It's so pretty."

Minho smiled and pushed him. "It is."

Taemin giggled and held onto the swing. He closed his eyes as he felt the nice cold breeze against his face.

Minho smiled.

Taemin stopped the swing and looked at Minho. He grabbed his hand and led him to the field. He laid down on the grass and curled up against him, laying his head on his chest. "This is a little romantic, isn't it?"

 

"Yeah, it is." Minho smiled.

 

Taemin smiled and kissed Minho softly, laying his chest on top of Minho's.

Minho smiled.

Taemin smiled back and stared into his eyes, leaving his face inches apart from Minho's. "I'm so lucky that I have you in my life. I love you so much, Minho."

"I'm lucky to have you too."

Taemin smiled. He laid his head on his chest again, listening to his heartbeat and watching the sunset.

Minho smiled and held him.

 

Taemin sat up once the sun was gone. "Minho, when do you think I can start school? I'm already ahead. Kai left me books and stuff so I can study and learn on my own. I'm up to your grade now. Do you think they'll let me be with you?"

"We could see."

Taemin nodded. "Okay. I hope they do." He interlocked their fingers again and held Minho's hand to his cheek.

Minho smiled as they walked home.

 

Mrs. Choi smiled at them when they walked in. "How was your date? Jonghyun told me you went out."

"Good," Minho smiled.

Taemin smiled too. "It was perfect."

 

Mrs. Choi smiled. "I'm glad. Minho, I'm so proud of you for finding someone that means so much to you. You two make such a cute couple."

Taemin blushed. "I'm lucky to have met Minho. We wouldn't have met if you hadn't taken Key and I in. I'm really thankful."

Minho smiled. "I love him so much."

 

Mrs. Choi smiled. "I can tell. I'm so glad."

 

Taemin smiled. "And I love Minho. He means so much to me."

 

"You've healed so much, Taemin." Mrs. Choi said.

 

Taemin nodded. "Yeah, I have. I have Minho and you to thanks."

Minho smiled. "He's so much better."

Mrs. Choi nodded. "Yes he is. Now we just have to help Key heal more."

Minho nodded.

 

Taemin sighed. "I want him to get strong too. He used to protect me from getting hurt."

 

"He will." Minho said.

 

Taemin looked at his hands. "I hope so. I want my hyung back..." He never showed it, but he wanted Key to heal and become his big brother again. He missed how Key would hold him at night and sing to him.

Minho hugged him. "You will."

 

Taemin hugged back.

 

"Why don't you boys head to bed? You have school tomorrow, Minho." Mrs. Choi said.

Minho nodded. "Okay,"

Taemin led him upstairs to his room. Key was hanging out with Jonghyun in his room. He got undressed and looked for some pajamas.

Minho smiled. "Do you want to cuddle for a little?"

 

Taemin smiled. "Okay!" He got dressed and laid on the bed.

Minho laid on the bed with him.

 

Taemin smiled and curled up to him, laying his head on Minho's chest. His hair was growing longer, almost to his shoulders.

Minho ran his fingers through it. "It's so long. You should get a cut."

 

Taemin smiled. "If you want me too. I've always had pretty long hair. People would call me a girl all the time. But it would hide my face and the bruises on my neck so no one would know or ask questions. I cut it before we ran away. I guess it's growing back out quickly."

Minho frowned. "I wish I could have protected you earlier."

Taemin shook his head. "It's okay. I'm here with you know."

 

Minho noticed a scar on the back of Taemin's neck almost to his shoulder. It didn't look like it was very deep. He never noticed it before.

Minho traced it with his fingers. "What happened?"

Taemin became quiet for a little bit. "My appa...he got mad at me one day because I was hiding Key in my room. He grabbed me and held a knife to me...he wouldn't let me go until Key got out of my room. I fought him and the blade hit me...I was bleeding but it wasn't really bad..."

Minho pulled him close. "I'm so sorry."

Taemin curled up to him. "It was really scary but I didn't cry. I couldn't...not in front of Key...my appa just threw me to the ground and let me bleed...I'm lucky it wasn't too much blood. It only bleed for a little bit...but it's scarred now..."

Minho kissed his cheek. "That will never happen again."

Taemin smiled. "I know. You'll protect me." He hugged Minho tightly. "I love you."

Minho kissed his cheek. "I love you so much."

 

"Stop kissing my cheek and kiss my lips!" Taemin pouted.

Minho chuckled and kissed him gently.

Taemin kissed back with a smile on his face. "I like it when you kiss me."

"I like kissing you."

Taemin giggled and blushed. "You always make me feel better." He kissed up to Minho's ear and on his earlobe, teasing him.

"My parents are home," Minho said.

Taemin pouted. "I'll be quiet..." He said.

"We can't."

Taemin pulled away. "Okay...sorry..." He curled up to him again, not looking at him. He felt embarrassed now.

Minho kissed him. "I want to, but we'll get in trouble."

Taemin kissed back. "It's okay. I don't want you to get in trouble."

"Maybe tomorrow..." Minho blushed.

"But you have school tomorrow." Taemin said.

"After school.... my parents will be out late..."

Taemin smiled. "Okay! Wait, what about Key and Jonghyun? Key can't hear us...he'll freak out."

"I'll ask Jonghyun to take him on a date."

 

Taemin smiled. "Okay!" He kissed Minho excitedly.

Minho smiled.

Taemin held his hand. He looked at the time. "You should be going to bed soon. It's getting late."

"Yeah, night Taemin. I love you."

 

Taemin smiled. "Night. I love you too. Sweet dreams."

Minho kissed him and left

 

Key sat on Jonghyun’s bed as Jonghyun worked on homework at his desk.

Jonghyun finished and looked at Key. He smiled softly at Key. "How are you feeling?"

Key shrugged.

Jonghyun frowned and sat down next to him. He wrapped an arm around him and held him close. "I love you, Key. I just want you happy."

"Will Hana hate me?"

"It doesn't matter. You won't see her anymore and I won't let her be mean to you. You mean more to me than she does."

 

"When are you breaking up with her?"

"Tomorrow at school." Jonghyun said.

Key looked at his hands. "She doesn't like me..."

"I know and that's why I won't date her. I won't let anyone hurt you or be mean to you." Jonghyun his cheek with his thumb. "I love you now. I want to date you. You're sweet and kind and beautiful."

Key blushed.

Jonghyun smiled and kissed his cheek.

Key yawned.

"You should go to bed. Come on. I'll tuck you in." Jonghyun said as he picked Key up and carried him bridal style to his and Taemin's room.

 

Taemin was curled up in the bed, the blanket covering his whole body.

Key crawled in bed with him.

Jonghyun wrapped the blanket around Key and kissed his forehead. "Night."

"Night." Key smiled.

Jonghyun smiled back and left.

 

Taemin curled up to Key and clung to him.

Key hugged him.

Taemin fell asleep in Key's arms.

Key smiled.

 

Taemin woke up in the morning. He stayed curled up against Key as he rubbed his eyes.

Key woke up as Taemin moved. Key had only fallen asleep two hours earlier.

 

Taemin looked up at him. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's okay."

Taemin sat up. "Did you sleep okay?"

Key nodded. He didn't get much sleep but he didn't want to worry Taemin.

Taemin smiled and cuddled with Key. He hadn't done that in a long time and it felt good for the younger boy. "You held me while I slept. You haven't done that in a long time..."

Key held him tight. "I'm going to be strong for you again."

Taemin smiled and clung to him. "I love you, hyung."

"I love you too Taemin."

Taemin smiled. He knew Key and him were going to heal and be happy from now on.