one.

Before You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ONE.

"Welcome to Shinhwa General Hospital," A middle-aged woman spoke to the crowd filled with chitter-chatter, all dressed to a corporate maximum and determined to make a good impression to the seniors and to one another. "My name is Baek Yujin, the head nurse of the Department of Internal Medicine and I will be showing you around this morning. Moreover, I will take you around the buildings and show you specific procedures before you head to your designated departments to begin your internship under our hospital."

Each and every intern looked at their surroundings in captivation - white walls, the strong scent of ethanol and disinfectant, people dressed in labcoats, scrubs, wheelchairs, clipboards and reception desks. It was the beginning of another chapter in their lives.

"This is the break room," Nurse Baek pointed out, opening a door and allowing the interns to take a peek on the inside. "This will serve as your headquarters, where you take breaks, naps and other matters in the hospital. You're only allowed to enter when you're on duty."

Everybody nodded and soon, Nurse Baek continued touring them around. While some interns gave her their full attention, some were in their own worlds, only half listening to what she was saying, but at the same time, watching the place that would build the fruit for the tree of their career.

Among the latter was Han Sumin.

Every step she took, she captured images with her eyes, imagining herself walking the hospital grounds, treating patients, doing surgeries, being at the top - it was all too good to be true. She was finally there.

Dr. Han Sumin - 1st Year Intern in Shinhwa General Hospital, Department of Surgery.

"Um, hey," Someone tapped Sumin's shoulder and she had to look away from the window of laboratory analysis room and turn to the source. "You were zoning out. All of the interns are already moving and I'm pretty sure Mrs. Baek won't be pleased when she notices we're both missing."

"Was I?" Sumin let out an uneasy chuckle, looking at the girl who interrupted her daydream. "Heh. Sorry about that. I think I got too excited."

The girl smiled. "It's alright. We better move now. Come on."

Sumin obliged, and they hurriedly and discretely walked to the mop of interns that were still flocking over Nurse Baek's words at the different places in the hospital and other information meant to be shared.

"Thank you," Sumin tapped the girl. "What's your name, by the way?"

"Yoo Misuk," The girl answered, holding out her hand. "Surgery Department. You?"

"Sumin," She shook Misuk's hand. "Surgery. It's nice to meet you."

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance," Misuk said. "It seems like we'll be seeing each other often, so I hope we get along."

Sumin bowed and was about to respond when they were both called out by Nurse Baek and suddenly, all eyes were on them. Sumin gulped at the attention. It was not really how she planned to make herself known among her peers.

"Hey, two girls at the back, do you mind sharing what you two were talking about earlier?" Nurse Baek crossed her arms, looking at them sternly. Sumin and Misuk looked at each other before shaking their heads and bowing.

"I'm sorry, Nurse Baek," Misuk spoke. "It won't happen again."

"It better not," Nurse. Baek scoffed. "Paying no attention to your seniors is a mortal sin here in Shinhwa. Do not do it again," They both nodded and their senior nurse was pleased. "Alright, let's proceed with the tour."

The rest of the morning carried on as is with neither speaking a word unless necessary. Nurse Baek took them to different places in the hospital - the specific wings for each department, the emergency room, operating room, intensive care unit, equipment, documents and all specifcs needed.

It was truly an eye opening experience, seeing only three different people - doctors, nurses and patients, and it overwhelmed Sumin, knowing she was there when back then, she has always wondered what it was like to be in that world.

And now, she was a part of it.

All of the new interns gathered in the hospital cafeteria, having lunch after the strenuous morning tour before they were finally going to be able to meet their Department Heads and officially begin their internship.

And just like High School, Sumin noticed that the interns were grouped into cliques. Some were already seated in different tables, having their own conversations, and some were already looking at groups like they were predators and preys. It was a competitive internship and each group radiated exclusivity. Sumin wondered whether or not she would feel out of place if she attempted to join one.

"Hey Han Sumin-ssi!"

The girl turned to see Misuk waving from one table, another girl seated beside her. Sumin smiled and slowly walked towards them as Misuk gestured towards a seat beside her. Sumin bowed gratefully before taking a seat.

"This is Ban Hana," Misuk pointed to a girl seated beside her. "She's also in the same department as us. We met in the cafeteria line."

Sumin bowed and Hana returned the gesture. Afterwards, Sumin began her meal, feeling herself salivate at the sight of food since the last thing she remembered giving her stomach was simply a cup of coffee paired with a nutella yogurt and a granola on top that morning.

"So," Hana spoke up. "Which Department Head are you planning to work under?"

"Pardon?" Sumin asked confused.

"The Surgery Department is co-headed by two of their top surgeons," Misuk answered. "What Hana means here is that are you planning to intern under Dr. Kim or Dr. Oh?"

"Who's better?"

"Dr. Kim."

"Dr. Oh."

Misuk looked at Hana confused. "Wait, Dr. Kim? But why did you say you wanted to be mentored by Dr. Oh if you think Dr. Kim's better."

Hana shrugged. "Reasons."

Sumin noticed how Hana seemed to be avoiding their gazes but realizing how she did not know either of them well enough, why bother ask about their personal agendum in the first place.

"Well, can you just tell me about both?" Sumin asked.

"Dr. Kim Minseok is one of the best surgeons in Shinhwa," Hana answered. "He graduated med school when he was just 23 years old and has been working in this field for nearly 12 years. He possesses all the qualities to be a great surgeon. He's a resident favorite since he's a pretty chill dude."

"What about Dr. Oh?"

Hana and Misuk looked at each other before nodding and gesturing for Sumin to come closer. "He is a beast in the operating room. His nickname is 'god of surgery'," Misuk whispered. "He's basically the golden boy of Shinhwa General Hospital. He's the youngest doctor here but not one surgery from him has ever failed. He works fast and accurate and hospitals all over the world has been chasing him but he chose this place."

"Wow," Sumin nodded. "I guess I'll go for him then?"

"But there's a catch," Misuk continued whispering. "According to my older brother who used to work here, he's a total dickhead."

"Seriously?" Sumin asked.

"He's way too smart for most of us to understand," Misuk explained. "He's quite unapproachable and he's basically all your biggest fears come true. He will make us suffer until the end."

"You've got to be kidding me," Sumin sighed.

"I'm not," Misuk said. "But according to my brother, if you make it through your internship with Dr. Oh, you'll make it to places."

"Really now?" Sumin challenged.

"It worked for my brother," Misuk answered. "Now he works at some big-league hospital in Japan because of Oh Sehun's recommendation."

"Wow," Sumin hummed, leaning against her seat.

She wondered what it would be like to be in that position, getting to work with the best just because she was trained by the best. So what if this Oh Sehun guy was a dickhead? Success does not come easy and maybe those rumours were just exaggerated. Maybe Oh Sehun was not as bad as one portrayed him to be. Maybe he was just passionate and Sumin liked that, because passionate people were always the ones who were able to self-actualize as she believed.

Oh Sehun was going to be her catalyst to becoming a full-pledged doctor.

"I'm choosing Dr. Oh," Sumin said, making Misuk and Hana look at her.

"You sure about that?" Hana inquired and Sumin nodded.

"If he really is as great as everyone says he is," Sumin said. "I will work hard, even if it means dealing with the worst kind of people."

"Hmm," Hana looked at her skeptically. "If you say so. Good luck with that. I guess we'll all be working in his department then."

"I guess so," Sumin agreed. "Let's work hard."

"Yeah," Han said. "But Sumin-ssi, don't say I didn't warn you."

"Alright,"Nurse Baek said. "Interns for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter