three.

Before You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THREE.

"It is okay to cry, but not in front of your bullies. It gives them satisfaction."

Those were her mother's words from 20 years ago when Han Sumin came home after daycare, glue dripping from the end of her pigtails. She was wailing about how a classmate of hers dipped her hair on a pot of glue while they were doing arts and crafts.

From that day onward, it never happened again (at least in front of the said "enemy") and that would explain how Han Sumin ended up in the hospital's rooftop, balling her eyes out as the sun began to set. The door was clinking open, making Sumin's breath hitch so she hurriedly put wiped her tears and dusted herself to, at least, not look like a stupid crybaby.

"Hey," The voice spoke.

"Sorry," Sumin croaked out. "I know I shouldn't be here but -- oh, it's just you guys."

She was touched at the thought of her fellow intern friends, checking on her and it made her feel better (a little bit). Screw Oh Sehun but now, Sumin was basically jobless. Dr. Brat just kicked her out of his department and where else would she go?

"You can cry you know," Misuk smiled. "We're just going to judge you a little... but we'll be comforting you too."

Sumin let out a chuckle. "Thanks, but I'm fine."

"A girl with red eyes, hair sticking all over the place and a dusty uniform aren't signs of 'fine'," Hana remarked. "Come on, Su. Cheer up."

"How can I?" Sumin rubbed her eyes. "I'm basically jobless, I insulted Oh Sehun, I have never felt so humiliated and life here is just... difficult."

The four other interns looked at each other before nodding. Hana let out a small smile and approached Sumin who was seated on the ground, taking the empty space beside her and patting her hair. "Don't worry about being jobless, Sumin. Minseok heard about what happened and if you're interested, it seems like he's willing to open one more spot for another hardworking intern."

Sumin sniffled and looked at Hana. "Really?"

Hana nodded. "You start Wednesday. Minseok kind of wants the rumours to die down. Everyone's currently talking about how you ed Oh Sehun. It's hot news."

Sumin let out a laugh and everyone else laughed along as well.

"Awwe, there's that smile!" Taehyung said. "Come on, Su, get up. Life here is damn difficult but that's what we're here for! We work together and well.. we'll probably die together too!"

Everyone laughed, including Sumin, despite the ty day she had. She was still grateful she met some good people in a world filled with cocky , handsome doctors. She was going to start anew, in a better and healthier workplace. Only problem then was what would happen if she ran into him again.

Sumin could only hope not.

"Sumin," Minseok approached the intern who was just about to exit after his 2 hour lecture on Digestive System surgeries. "Is your shift over?"

"In 10 minutes or so," Sumin answered. "Why?"

"I hope it's not too much to ask," Minseok handed her a receipt of medication. "I left a bottle of Tylenol in the front desk. Can you get it for me? I'm meeting a patient in 5 minutes and that's part of his medication."

Sumin nodded and smiled. "It's no problem. You got it, boss." She hurriedly walked out of the room and to the front desk of the building where 2 nurses were seemingly engaged in a deep conversation and the secretary irritably glancing at how loud and obnoxious they were being.

"Excuse me," Sumin smiled at the secretary. "Dr. Kim Minseok told me he left a bottle of Tylenol here. He wants me to bring it to his office."

The secretary grabbed a bottle from her desk and held it out and held it out. "Is this it?"

"I believe so," Sumin took it then bowed. "Thank you." But right when she was about to leave, a nearby conversation sparked her interest and she could not help but stop at where she was, and unconsciously lend her unwelcomed ear.

"He hasn't shown up in a week," The first nurse spoke up. "I wonder what happened. The Great Doctor never takes a sick leave."

"If Dr. Oh disappears forever, I'd be really happy though," The second nurse responded. "That guy scares the crap out of me. One time Hoseok was the assisting nurse and he basically ed on him just because--"

And eventually the 2 nurses walked away, leaving Sumin with a feeling of uneasiness. It's been a week since she got kicked out of Sehun's Department, a week since she started working for Dr. Kim Minseok, and a week since she last saw him. She thought it was pure luck that she was able to avoid him for that long but today her questions were answered.

After dropping the prescriptions to Minseok's office, Sumin hurriedly walked to the break room to find Kento packing him his things as well.

"Kento!" Sumin hurriedly walked towards him.

"Sumin," Kento smiled. "An-yeon-haseyo!"

Sumin laughed at Kento's mispronounciation, knowing he's been working on his Korean and slowly making progress. "Hey. Are you about to leave?"

Kento nodded. "Shift done. Me and Misuk go see movie."

"Huh," Sumin smiled. "That's good but, Kento, can I ask a question?" 

Kento nodded again. "Is Dr. Oh around? Did he show up today?"

"No," Kento shook his head. "Dr. Oh is no show for a week. Dr. Kim says he's sick. Why?"

"No reason," Sumin answered quickly. "Anyway, thanks Kento. Have fun in your movie date!"

Kento blushed and hurriedly bowed before walking out the door which made Sumin laugh. Once she was alone, she sat on a nearby couch and clutched onto her heart, feeling uneasy.

Sumin knew.

She knew she should have not taken the his insults personally but she was just so angry to the point she crossed a border. Sehun was probably upset that she brought up that Joohyun woman and she just wanted to slap herself and her damn mouth. She tried to cheer up, thinking that her shift was done and she had the whole Saturday off ahead of her and she should cherish that before she has to go back to the hospital again.

But the uneasiness never went away.

Han Sumin had a beautiful day ahead of her.

For the first time in months, she was able to wake up with more than 8 hours of sleep. She was able to relax at the comfort of her cheap studio apartment and she had her day planned ahead - a date with her couch and k-dramas and chicken, and more k-dramas and chicken, probably pizza too.

It was a perfect day with a perfect plan until--

"Wait, Dr. Kim!" Sumin yelped onto the phone. "W-What do you mean about that?"

"Just go check on him and bring him some rice porridge," Minseok responded onto the phone. "I would do that but I'm about to do a surgery. You're the intern off-duty today and you're my only go-to person for this, kid. Come on, do it!"

"I-I can't, boss!" Sumin responded. "I'm sure you know about my bad history with him! He basically hates me because of my blabber mouth and yeah, I called him an arrogant ."

"All the more reason why you should do it, Sumin," Minseok sighed onto the phone. "Look all I'm asking for is you drop by his apartment, bring him some rice porridge and done. After all, it's the least you could do after you insulted him."

That made Sumin's heart pump. "W-What do you mean, boss?"

Minseok chuckled from the other line.  "Come on, Sumin, don't play dumb," he said. "I'm a hundred percent certain that you know Sehun disappeared after your crazy episode. Bringing up his fiancé? Kid, you nearly broke the man in half and that made him drink crazy and mope like a baby all night so yeah, that's why he's sick. Come on, kid, just do it. Just this once."

Damn this manipulative Kim Minseok, but he was a way better boss that Sehun if Sumin considered.

"Alright, alright!" Sumin groaned. "I'll bring him rice porridge then I'll leave!"

"Great," Minseok cheered. "Thanks, Sumin. I'll text you the address and where Sehun hides his spare key. Bye!" With that, he hangs up and Sumin could only groan as she lays back onto her couch. There goes her perfect day.

"Why life? WHY?" She screams with so much sarcasm.

After about a minute, she receives the text from Minseok and starts to get ready, hoping that Dr. Oh wouldn't kill her when he sees her.

Life in Gangnam obviously meant the good life, as many stereotyped that is.

And that was how Sumin was so captivated with the buildings that passed by her window until the cab stopped and she ended up in front of probably the nicest apartment building she has ever seen. Now her cheap but awesome studio apartment looks like Walmart compared to Sehun's Gucci.

Sumin clutched the plastic bowl of rice porridge she was holding and slowly entered the building. The doorman eyed her suspiciously but when she said she came for Oh Sehun, the man nodded and allowed her in. She passed through a marble hallway, entering an elevator with a chandelier on top and fancy wooden decore to complement. Sumin would say she was Eloise at the Plaza, but then she remembered that she was 25-years-old and she had a mission.

She stopped by the 17th floor and found Sehun's apartment at the far end. Deciding not to use his spare key, she might as well make her presence known so he could kick her out if he wanted and she would have an excuse to Minseok on why she failed her job.

Ring.

Sumin pressed the button and waited.

No answer.

Ring.

"Dr. Oh?" Sumin knocked on the door. "It's Han Sumin. I know you probably hate my guts but Dr. Kim told me to drop by and give you stuff so can I come in?"

No answer again.

Ring.

"Dr. Oh?" Sumin repeated.

After waiting for about 5 minutes, Sumin gave up and decided to get the spare key which was hidden under the pot of a nearby plant. Sumin rolled her eyes at the thought. The guy was book smart but was he total idiot in real life.

Sumin successfully unlocked the door and she entered expecting to see Sehun completely lashing out at her, only to come face-to-face with an empty apartment. She took off her shoes and awkwardly shuffled her feet as they met the cold ground.

"Dr. Oh?" Sumin called out, looking around the beautiful modern-styled apartment. Everything was black and white and Sumin could not help but feel curious at his place.

She looked around the living room, coffee table stacked with books, couch with plush pillows and a flat screen TV, but what stood out the most was a wall filled with plaques and pictures from different awards, to old photos of Sehun (even one with him smiling which she had to look at twice because it seemed impossible) but what really caught her attention was a picture of a woman that was ripped and laying on the ground.

Sumin slowly picked it up and looked at it. Dark hair, pearly white smile, doll-like features - everything a man wanted for beauty and she assumed that this was her. This must be that Joohyun woman Hana was talking about almost a week ago.

She heard a hoarse groan from one of the rooms and hurriedly hid the picture, looking at every door. "Dr. Oh?"

S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter