Chapter 09

The Life of a Priestess

Yubin curled up on her bed, hugging her pillow to her chest. Jimin and Hobi had stopped by, offering her food, but she had refused, telling them that she wasn’t hungry. She could tell that they were worried about her, but she couldn’t face them, not yet. She couldn’t erase the look on Yoongi’s face from her mind. She knew that she deserved him to be angry at her, she had acted recklessly, yet again, and put him in a situation where he had to protect her.

 

She could still feel the heat from Yoongi’s flames from when his hand had hit the wall behind her. The flames had gone out only a second before his hand had hit the wall. She knew that she had made him worry, that he was angry because she hadn’t listened to him and put herself in danger, but that still couldn’t erase the fear that flooded through her when she saw his angry expression aimed at her. She had seen him angry before, she had even experienced his anger directed at her before, but there was something different about what had happened today.

 

There was an intensity to his anger that she had never experienced before. There was also the overwhelming feeling of guilt. She knew that she shouldn’t have followed Yoongi through the portal without asking. She knew that once she had been discovered that she should have stuck to his side like he had told her to. She knew that her knowledge of the demon world was limited at best. So who did she think she was to decide that she could just go there as she pleased?

 

She sighed loudly, burying her face into her pillow. She longed to tell Yoongi how sorry she was, but she wasn’t sure if she would be able to do it without crying. She felt so stupid for not listening and for getting so upset at Yoongi being angry at her. She deserved his anger.

 

She lay there for hours, ignoring Hobi and Jimin every time they came to check on her. She would close her eyes and pretend to be sleeping. She heard them whisper to each other about how worried they were. Apparently Yoongi hadn’t told them the details about what had happened. After midnight, she finally got out of bed. She stretched her legs and headed out to the garden. She could hear the rustling of the leaves in the trees around her as she walked out to the small wall that separated the small herb garden from the rest of the garden. She sat on the wall, wishing she could go back in time to that afternoon when Yoongi and her had sat in this exact same place.

 

She sighed loudly, pulling her legs up and wrapping her arms around them. “Can’t sleep?” she let out a yelp and fell sideways off the wall, thankful that it wasn’t very high. She looked up at Yoongi who looked exhausted. He made no move to approach her or help her. She wasn’t surprised, if their roles had been reversed, she was sure that she would have pushed Yoongi off of the wall with her own two hands. Even though she understood why he didn’t approach her, it still stung that he kept the distance between them.

 

Yoongi watched as she brushed the dirt from her clothes. His hands itched to reach out and help her, but judging from how she had reacted to him earlier… he wasn’t sure if she wanted him near her, so he held himself back. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her as she stared down at her feet, refusing to meet his gaze. They stayed that way, him standing, looking down at her. Her sitting, her gaze locked on her feet for the longest time.

 

Eventually Yubin was the one to break the silence. “Yoongi…” she said, her voice small. “About what happened today…” Yoongi didn’t interrupt as she searched for the right words. “First of all, I’m sorry. I should never have gone through that portal without your permission. It was stupid of me. I was so caught up with seeing the demon world that I didn’t think about the consequences. I acted so selfishly. I put you in a tough position where you had to step up and protect me because I acted like a complete idiot.” Yoongi frowned as she continued.

 

“I’m sorry because I know that I should have listened to you when you told me to stay by your side. I shouldn’t have moved; I should have just stayed put.” She said as a lump formed in . Her head dipped, her hair completely hiding her face from him. “I’m sorry.” She repeated, hoping that he would forgive her. Hoping that he would look at her with a warm expression and not with anger filled eyes.

 

“Are you afraid of me?” Yoongi asked, his voice hesitant and quiet. Yubin slowly raised her head, blinking away her tears as she looked at him. “What?” she asked, confused by his sudden question. She had expected him to yell at her, not to ask her a question like that in that tone of voice. She had never heard him sound vulnerable before. “Earlier… when I got angry at you. I scared you didn’t I?” he asked. She lowered her head again, giving him a slight nod. “A little.” She admitted. Yoongi walked up to her and dropped to his knees beside her. “Yubin… please don’t be afraid of me.” He begged. “It was wrong of me to get that angry…”

 

“No it wasn’t. I was stupid. I should have listened to you. It’s just… I could tell how frustrated you were with me for not listening to you. I felt… ashamed. I know why you got angry, and I deserve it.” She said as she raised her gaze to meet his. “You know I'd never hurt you, right?” he said, his voice more fragile than he would have liked, his hands fisted on his lap. She nodded, “I know. That’s not why I was afraid. I know you'd never hurt me. I was just afraid of how disappointed I knew you were with me for being so stupid.”

 

Yoongi let out a sigh of relief. He held his hand out, needing the physical confirmation that she was not afraid of him. She slipped her hand into his and squeezed it gently. He squeezed back, the small gesture helping to ease the turbulent thoughts that had been racing through his mind since they had returned from the demon world. “I was scared.” He admitted quietly. “When I realised that you had followed me through the portal, I knew that there would be demons that would want to hurt you, that’s why I didn’t want to take you there. Then when I came out from the medicine shop and you had disappeared…” he took a deep breath. “I was ready to tear the whole marketplace apart to find you. I don’t know what I would have done if anything had happened to you.”

 

Yubin squeezed his hand, “I’m sorry.” She repeated. He looked up at her, a small smile on his face. “I know, but if you think you’re not getting punished for that little stunt today, you are sorely mistaken.” She sighed loudly. “How much trouble am I in?” she asked, knowing that she was in a lot of trouble, but thankful that he wasn’t angry with her anymore. “We’ll start off with one hundred laps around the shrine. Then let’s say one hundred burpees, one hundred sit-ups, one hundred squats, one hundred lunges, and one hundred push ups.” Yubin’s jaw dropped. “Yah! That’s…”

 

“Plus five hundred jump ropes. Want to add some star jumps to that?” he asked, a grin making its way onto his face. She shook her head rapidly. “Nope.” She said. Yoongi chuckled as he pulled her to her feet. “You better get some sleep. We start at six sharp.” Yubin grumbled, “But you hate early mornings just as much as I do!”

 

“What’s that? You want to do five hundred high knees?” Yoongi taunted, lifting his hand to his ear like he couldn’t hear her properly. “I said goodnight! See you in the morning!” she said before rushing back to the shrine before he could add anything else onto her punishment. Yoongi watched her go, a warm feeling igniting in his chest and a smile on his face as he looked down at the hand that she had been holding only a moment ago. Words couldn’t describe his happiness at knowing that she did not fear him.