Chapter 12

The Life of a Priestess

Yoongi felt his power flow through him, burning hot as he let out a scream, his power exploded, destroying Namjoon's dragon. He rushed forward as Namjoon threw Yubin's lifeless body from the platform. He grabbed her just before she hit the ground, cradling her body against his. “Yubin! Yubin!” he called her name over and over again, but her eyes were glassy, tear tracks still wet on her face, mixing with the blood that had spilled from .

 

“I’m so sorry.” He whispered as he gently closed her eyes and placed a kiss on her forehead. “I’m sorry that I failed to protect you.” A loud laugh made him look up from Yubin's body. “Are you… are you actually crying? Because of a human priestess?” Namjoon chuckled. “You are truly pathetic.” He said as he shot a blast of energy in Yoongi’s direction. Yoongi curled over Yubin’s body, not wanting her to be hurt any more than she already was, even if it was already too late.

 

He stood up and faced Namjoon. All traces of anger gone from his face. He took an unsteady step forward, his arms hanging limply by his sides. Namjoon tensed up, ready for an attack, but he only stepped forward again, his expression blank. Namjoon frowned, sending another blast of energy toward Yoongi. The blast hit him square in the chest, sending him crashing into the wall behind him. “What are you doing? Fight back!” Namjoon shouted, his frustration building at Yoongi's behaviour.

 

Yoongi picked himself up out of the debris surrounding him and slowly made his way towards Namjoon again. Namjoon cursed and hit Yoongi with another blast of energy, once again hitting him and sending him into the wall. “Why won't you fight back?” Namjoon roared. “If she’s dead then there’s no point in fighting anymore.” Yoongi whispered, too quietly for Namjoon to hear as he once again pulled himself out of the debris.

 

 

Behind the throne, Yubin sat trapped in her cage, screaming Yoongi’s name at the top of her lungs. “Yoongi! What are you doing?! You have to fight! Why are you letting this creep beat you like this! Yoongi! Damnit, why can’t you hear me!? It’s just an illusion Yoongi! You have to fight!” she screamed, her hands smacking at the cage.

 

 

..........

 

“Master Namjoon, it appears that Yoongi and the spirit shrines have finally arrived at the entrance to the fortress.” Taehyung said, his head bowed. Namjoon removed his hand from Yubin’s cage. She cursed loudly at the pain that shot through her from the countless bruises and cuts littering her body. Namjoon stood and turned to face Taehyung. “Finally. Make sure the army keeps the two spirits busy, you stall Yoongi until everything is complete.” Taehyung nodded and left the room.

 

Namjoon turned to Yubin, a smirk on his face. “Finally, it’s time for some real fun.” He took a deep breath, his arms raising above his head. Yubin could only watch as tendrils of Namjoon's energy s their way out of his hands and reached out around the room. Once the tendrils met up on the opposite wall, they flashed brightly making her cover her eyes. When she opened her eyes there was an exact copy of her standing outside of the cage.

 

Her jaw dropped as she looked at her doppelganger. “What is this?” she asked, feeling unnerved by the copy. Namjoon ran his fingers through the copy’s hair. “This is an illusion, something far beyond the capabilities of a mere human priestess. Even Yoongi will not be able to detect it.” he said smugly as he ran the tips of his claws down the copy’s arm. “The second he enters this room; he will see what I want him to see. He’ll see me with his precious priestess and it will ignite his fighting spirit, and you will be there, but he will be unable to see or hear you as you watch me slowly kill him.”

 

“Yoongi won't fall for it! He's too smart.” Yubin said confidently. Namjoon chuckled. “We shall see.” He said as he waved his hand in front of her cage. “Now as soon as he gets here, we can start the main attraction.” The sounds of fighting sounded from outside the room and Namjoon's grin grew as he looked towards the doors, “Show time.”

 

…………

 

Yubin screamed and beat the bars of her cage as she watched Yoongi take hit after hit from Namjoon, who was becoming more frustrated by the minute by Yoongi’s lack of response. “I have to do something.” She tried to summon her powers, the electricity immediately flowing through her. She screamed through the pain, her mind focusing solely on helping Yoongi before it was too late.

 

She felt like her body was on fire as she heard Yoongi cry out in pain. She risked a glance up and saw him lying on the ground, his breathing shallow. “Yoongi!” she screamed her purple energy crackling around her. With one last, pain filled scream, her cage exploded around her. She collapsed to the ground, every nerve in her body screaming out in agony.

 

Namjoon turned to her, but before he could say or do anything, she used her powers to pick up the debris from the room, sending it all hurtling in his direction. Namjoon cursed loudly as the debris landed on top of him, burying him under heavy layers of stone and wood. She pushed herself up, her body screaming at her to just lie down and not move. She slowly crawled her way to Yoongi’s side. “Yoongi! Get up! You have to get up!” she said as she shook him. “Do you hear me? You have to get up!” she yelled as she hit his chest, hoping for a reaction. She heard a loud rumbling behind her as Namjoon threw off the debris that had been covering him.

 

He chuckled as he saw her pull Yoongi’s upper body against her, her expression fierce as she tried to protect the demon that had come to mean so much to her. “I won't let you kill him.” She spat, purple electricity crackling at her fingertips. Namjoon laughed at her. “Do you really think you stand a chance against me?” he spat as his own red energy crackled around him.

 

Yubin spun around as she heard footsteps behind her. “Yubin!” she almost sobbed in relief when she saw a beat up Jimin and Hobi run up to her side. “Take Yoongi and get out of here.” She said as she moved Yoongi into Hobi’s arms. “But Yubin…”

 

“Go. Now. I’m telling you to go. As the priestess of the shrine.” She said firmly, before giving them a small smile and turning to face Namjoon, her shield automatically raising around them. Hobi and Jimin hesitated, they couldn’t disobey a direct order from her, but their hearts told them to stay. “What are you waiting for? Go!” she shouted as she created a large ball of energy, throwing it in Namjoon's direction. The spirits quickly picked up Yoongi’s limp body and started to make their way towards the exit.

 

They turned around when they heard Yubin’s cry of pain. Namjoon had broken through her shield as if it hadn’t existed and grabbed her by the throat, lifting her clean off the ground. She thrashed in his grip as she grabbed his arm, sending a current of her power through him. Namjoon grunted but didn’t let her go. “I’m going to enjoy killing you.” He said through gritted teeth as he tightened his grip. Yubin felt her power weaken and her vision started to narrow.

 

Suddenly she was dropped to the ground and the pressure around disappeared. She coughed as she dragged air back into her lungs. She looked up to see a beat up and exhausted Yoongi standing in front of her, a white sword made up of his energy in his hands. Namjoon had staggered back a few steps, blood pouring from the stump where his right arm had been only moments before.