Chapter 10

The Life of a Priestess

“Report.”

 

Taehyung dropped to one knee in front of his master. “Master, Yoongi and his priestess travelled to the demon world together. Yoongi threatened a few lesser demons after they attacked the priestess, but he did not kill them. They then returned to the shrine together.” Namjoon hissed in anger. “I cannot believe he is lowering himself to be alongside humans. He’s a disgrace.” He spat.

 

“I did notice something that may be of interest to you master.” Taehyung said, raising his head slightly. “Speak.” Namjoon commanded. “Yoongi seems to have developed feelings for the priestess.” Namjoon smirked. “Is that so? And just when I thought he couldn’t lower himself any further… Good work Taehyung. We can use this information to our advantage.”

 

 

 

Yoongi sat back and watched as Yubin sparred with Hobi and Jimin. She had completed her punishment without complaint, which Yoongi thought was a miracle, but he knew how guilty she felt about what had happened the day before. He had tried to discreetly lower her punishment a little, but she insisted on completing it all. He nodded as she nimbly avoided Jimin's attack and used his own momentum against him. “She really does learn quick.”

 

His breath caught in his throat as she trapped Jimin and Hobi with her energy ropes, turning to him for approval, her sweat soaked clothes and hair sticking to her. He turned away from her, fearing that a blush would appear on his face. She pouted as he looked away. “The least he could do is say good job.” She mumbled as Jimin and Hobi's shouts that they gave up brought her attention back to them. She released them and they praised her for being able to create two sets of ropes strong enough to catch them both.

 

Yoongi watched as she smiled at the spirit’s words of praise. His body tensed up as a new energy presence appeared at the shrine. He turned around, trying to pinpoint the location of the energy, but before he could lock onto it, it disappeared. His ears flattened against his head, the energy leaving a bad taste in his mouth.

 

“Yoongi? Yoongi?” he turned around, Yubin standing right in front of him. She could tell that something wasn’t right. “You ok?” she asked, looking around for anything suspicious. Yoongi shook his head, letting some of the tenseness drain from his posture. “Yeah, everything’s alright. Have you finished sparring?” he asked, hoping to distract her. “Yeah, we just finished up.” she said, giving him a small smile. “Good. You should go in and shower before dinner.” She nodded, her gaze showing that she wasn’t fully convinced that everything was ok before she headed into the shrine.

 

“Hobi, Jimin.” Yoongi called, the two spirits immediately appearing by his side. “I just sensed a strange energy at the shrine, but it disappeared before I could lock onto it. Check the wards around the shrine and be on alert in case it’s some demon sniffing about. Keep a close watch on Yubin, but don’t let her know that somethings going on. She’ll only get worried or get herself into trouble, ok?” the two spirits nodded before disappearing to check the wards around the shrine.

 

 

That night after Yubin had gone to bed, Jimin, Hobi and Yoongi set up a vigil to be prepared in case the owner of the strange energy returned. Jimin had taken the first watch, Yoongi the second. He walked around the garden, every sense heightened as he listened to every sound around him. He knew that there was a chance that the owner of the energy wouldn’t bother to return, it was possibly just a passing demon who had sensed the energy of the shrine’s occupants and been curious before moving on, but something told him that it was more than that. The power belonged to someone old, and there was a foul stench that clung to the energy. It smelled like blood and it set Yoongi on edge. He took a place on the roof of the shrine, his eyes constantly roaming around as he searched for anything that seemed out of place.

 

 

 

“And you are sure this will work?” Namjoon said as he took a small glass vial from Taehyung’s hand. Taehyung bowed. “Yes master. However, since your power is great, this medicine will only disguise your power for a very short time. But it should be long enough for you to carry out your plan.” Namjoon smiled down at his loyal servant before opening the vial and draining the liquid in one mouthful. “Then let’s not waste any time.”

 

Taehyung opened a portal and Namjoon stepped through first. He emerged in Yubin’s room, where she slept soundly, unaware of the presence in her room. Namjoon looked down at her the way a predator would to its prey. “This is the human priestess he has feelings for?” he asked as he peeled her covers from her body, carelessly throwing them to the floor. Taehyung nodded. Namjoon scoffed, “She’s not much to look at it. And human women are so fragile. You can only play with them once before they break.”

 

“Master, we should hurry, the medicine won't last for long.” Namjoon nodded and Taehyung moved forward, lifting Yubin out of bed. She groaned and slowly opened her eyes. She let out a yelp of surprise at being in Taehyung’s arms, pushing away from him. “What the hell? Let go of me!” she yelled, thrashing in Taehyung’s arms. Namjoon stepped forward and grabbed a fistful of her hair. “If you don’t want me to kill you here and now, I'd advise you to shut your mouth.” He growled, his golden eyes glowing in the moonlight.

 

Yubin froze in Taehyung’s arms, fear holding her stiff. There was no doubt in her mind that this demon would kill her without even blinking. Namjoon smiled at her, “Good choice.” He said before turning and opening a portal and stepping through, Taehyung pulled a small, black crystal carved into the shape of a skull from his pocket, dropping it on the floor before following Namjoon through the portal. Just before the portal closed, the medicine that they had taken to disguise their energy wore off. Yoongi stiffened at the sudden appearance of the strong energy. “How?” his head whipped left and right until he realised the source of the energy. “Yubin…” he jumped off of the roof and rushed to her room. He threw the door open, his eyes wide as he saw her blanket lying on the floor, her bed empty. The stench of the blood soaked energy filled her room.

 

“Yubin!” he shouted, frantically searching her room, even though he knew that there was nowhere for her to be hiding. He dropped to his knees as the realization that she had been taken from underneath his nose settled in. Something shiny caught his attention. His eyes widened as he reached out with a shaking hand, picking up the small skull shaped crystal that Taehyung had dropped. “No...” he whispered as the crystal gleamed in the moonlight. His hands shook at the realization of what had happened settled over him. “Yubin!!!”