your business, my business

eighteen

Chaeyoung just focuses on her noodles, slurping it up as Nayeon goes on about something, she’s not sure what because she has already tuned out the moment her noodles arrived. Nayeon glares at her with her arms crossed and Chaeyoung knows she's caught not listening. She hazards a guess. “Yeah, Jihyo-unnie is so annoying right?”

 

“I was talking about Jungyeon.” Nayeon deadpans and Chaeyoung just hits her forehead exaggeratedly. “Yes, of course Jungyeon-unnie! Gosh!”

 

Nayeon huffs. “Can you pay more attention to me? I'm your girlfriend for goodness sake!”

 

Chaeyoung just nods as she turns her attention back to her noodles. She really wonders why they got together when they are so different. Whoever made the phrase “opposites attract” should be slapped because that certainly doesn't feel like the case for Chaeyoung, who is always feeling tired and exhausted from dating Nayeon. She also wonders how they are dating for 2 long years and still counting.

 

“Then maybe we should break up.” Chaeyoung says as she stuffs another mouth of noodles into . Nayeon just scowls at her, taking it as a joke. “Very funny, Son Chaeyoung. Anyway as I was saying…”

 

Chaeyoung just tunes out, realizing exactly why they are still dating. She's not sure if it's because she doesn't sound serious, or Nayeon just doesn't take her seriously when she mentions a break-up. Whatever the reason, any mentions of break-up gets brushed off, and Chaeyoung doesn't insist, so things stay status quo. They continue dating, Nayeon taking care of her like a mother would to her child, condoning her misdeeds as long as she comes back to her at the end of the day.

 

Chaeyoung’s phone lights up, showing a notification and she picks it up gladly, welcome to any distraction from Nayeon’s complaints. She lifts an eyebrow in surprise at the text she received from none other than Myoui Mina herself.

 

I need help.

 

Her phone vibrates with another message.

 

You promised.

 

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. This woman is asking for a favor but she still sounds so stuck up. She dials her number and Mina picks up almost immediately.

 

“Yeah?” Chaeyoung asks as she slurps up the last bits of her noodles.

 

“Can you help me to pick up my costume and send it to me? I need it for the shoot later and I forgot to bring it.” Mina says, voice hushed yet hurried.

 

“Okay. What time do you need it by?” Chaeyoung hums. “Okay, send me your address.”

 

She hangs up the phone and picks up her outer coat, Nayeon staring at her incredulously. “I'm going.”

 

“But I'm not done yet!” Nayeon calls out and Chaeyoung just waves her off.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung stops in front of the building, checking her phone to make sure she has gotten the right address. It's correct and she gulps as scrutinizes the building carefully. The paint on the walls is peeling and the lobby is lit up by flickering yellow lights. Regardless, she enters the building and is immediately hit by a strong pungent smell of piss. She pinches her nose as she makes her way to the lift, only to be greeted by a “out-of-order” sign. She groans as she looks at the address and makes her way to the stairs. Mina lives on the fifth floor and Chaeyoung lets out a sigh as she s her outer coat. It's going to be a long climb up.

 

Chaeyoung leans against Mina’s door as she catches her breath, feeling like she's going to pass out any second. After catching her breath, she follows Mina’s instructions, looking for the spare key in the pot and heaves a sigh of relief as her hands meet with the cold metal of the key. She unlocks the door and is surprised by the state of the apartment. Unlike the rundown appearance of the building, Mina’s apartment is clean and tidy, albeit a little small. She makes her way to the only room in the small apartment, heading straight for the wardrobe. Inside, she sees the school uniform Mina was wearing the other time and she throws it over her shoulders.

 

Closing the wardrobe door, Chaeyoung sees a picture frame on the bedside table. Curious, she makes her way closer, picking the picture up to look at it properly. A more radiant Mina is in the middle of who Chaeyoung assumes are her parents, all three beaming widely for the camera. Mina must really value her family a lot to put their photo by her bedside but Chaeyoung wonders what they thought of her chosen occupation, if they even know it in the first place. She shrugs as she puts the photo back in its original position. She's curious, but she has no business meddling in another person’s life.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung gets out of her car, lugging the school uniform over her shoulders. She doesn't even have to look far to spot Mina, already seeing the girl bowing and seemingly apologizing to all the other staff and actors/actresses as they look at her in disdain. She frowns as she quickens her pace, grabbing Mina by the arm when she's within reach. “Your costume’s here.”

 

Mina doesn't even have time to thank her when a sarcastic comment voices out from the crowd. “Pfft, who does she think she is, still requiring someone to send her her costume.”

 

Chaeyoung looks around and spots the girl who made the comment and stared at her straight in the eye. She's in the exact same school uniform Mina is supposed to be in, so Chaeyoung guesses she's another extra on the set. “Excuse me, I don't appreciate the way you are talking to my artiste.”

 

The girl’s eyes bulges. Mina can't speak out against this injustice, but Chaeyoung definitely can (even if she has to pretend to be Mina’s manager). “Now, if you will excuse us.” Chaeyoung says as she slings her arms around Mina, leading her away from the crowd.

 

Once they are out of sight, Mina shrugs away from Chaeyoung’s hold. “What was that?”

 

Chaeyoung shrugs. “I couldn't stand the way they were treating you.”

 

“So?!” Mina’s soft voice thwarts her attempt to sound angry. “It's none of your business!”

 

“Yeah it isn't, but is it wrong to step in when someone is being bullied? You are obviously being bullied by the other actresses. This isn't even about chivalry or altruism anymore. This is about justice.” Chaeyoung is not backing down from this. Mina is speechless at Chaeyoung’s truthful words and just sighs as she takes the costume from the younger girl. “Just leave, you have caused enough trouble.”

 

--

 

Mina sits on the pavement as she massages her legs, watching the staff move around as they get ready for the next scene. She sees the other extras sitting at another corner, all looking at her with contempt as they whisper amongst themselves. She sighs. She already has a hard time fitting in because of her nationality, and now with Chaeyoung fabricating the lie of being her manager, the other extras are just going to see her as stuck up and even more dislikable.

 

Mina pulls the dark green padding around her tighter as she thinks about its owner. Chaeyoung has helped her so many times, almost as many times as they met. She knows she should be thankful, but then again the other girl can be helpful just because she wants her settlement fee waived. She shakes her head and steels herself. Nobody is kind for no reason.

 

She hears footsteps and she traces them, meeting eye to eye with Chaeyoung who is holding big plastic bags on her hands. The girl plops them down beside Mina, rampaging through it to pull out a bottle of orange juice which she holds out to the latter.

 

“Wha-“ Mina begins to ask but she doesn't even get to finish her sentence as Chaeyoung interrupts.

 

“Just shut up and drink. I'm your manager, remember?”

 

“I didn't agree to this.” Mina complains as Chaeyoung unscrews the cap and almost force feeds her the juice.

 

“I don't need your agreement. Now drink this while I give out these drinks to make you look good.” Chaeyoung picks up the two plastic bags. “Oh and also, you are welcome. For helping you and the drink.” She takes one step, turning around to look Mina up and down. "And also that padding."

 

Mina blushes as she pulls the padding closer to her body, watching as Chaeyoung makes her way to the other extras, handling out drinks from the big plastic bags she's holding. She really doesn't know what to make of the other girl, whether she's sincere or not. She doesn't like how she's feeling indebted to the girl when it should be the other way round and most importantly, she doesn't like how there is this warm feeling blossoming in her chest.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung plays her role well, holding Mina’s bags and following behind her as she bows to all the staff. It's as if this is really their arrangement, Mina the actress and Chaeyoung the manager. She feels a little proud as she sees the envy in the other extras’ faces as their car pull out from the set, but as soon as some distance is placed between them, Mina is brought back into reality. This isn't real, Chaeyoung isn't her manager. It's time to remove those glass heels and go back to being the bullied stepsister, Cinderella. She clears . “Let me off at the next junction.”

 

She sees Chaeyoung’s brows lift from the corner of her eyes. “Just sit the f down. We are reaching soon.”

 

Mina knows that's not true because the surroundings doesn't look like her neighborhood at all, but she doesn't say anything about it. She thinks about it, and likens Chaeyoung to passing under an overhead bridge. The girl is like her oasis in the desert, a brief shelter from the rain but once she leaves this shelter, everything is going to come down harder than before. Should she just accept this respite despite knowing it's going to be temporary, or not accept it at all? While she was thinking, the car pulls up to her building and her decision is made. She clears as she unbuckles her seatbelt.

 

“Can you be my manager for the rest of the shoot? It's just another 3 months. I will waive half of your settlement fee.” Mina decides to accept this respite, no matter how short it is.

 

If Chaeyoung is surprised, it definitely doesn't show it on her face as she just raises her eyebrows. “I thought you didn't agree.”

 

“Well, you don't care about my agreement anyway.”

 

“That's true.” Chaeyoung agrees with a small nod of her head. “So, what time tomorrow?”

 

"1pm.” Mina says and Chaeyoung shrugs her agreement. “See you tomorrow 1pm then.”

 

As Mina makes her way into her apartment building, she finds herself slowing down to ensure that Chaeyoung has driven away before she starts her climb up to her apartment, a smile gracing her face and the warmth in her chest growing bigger and bigger with each step she takes. 

--

a/n: it's true, relationships with people of opposite personalities rarely work out. don't let dramas fool you