selling bodies

eighteen

“Where are you going so early in the morning?” her father asks as he sees Chaeyoung walking out from the bathroom while drying her hair with a towel.

 

“I’m going to bed. Good night.” The girl says as she makes a peace sign, heading back to her room.

 

“Chaeng,” her mother calls out and Chaeyoung stops on the spot, inwardly cursing. “Come and eat breakfast with us.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs as she drapes the towel around her neck. Her parents don’t even have to say it but she knows it’s that talk again, the one she can’t avoid. She walks back to the dining table where her parents are at, plopping down on one of the seats as her mom places a bowl of rice in front of Chaeyoung. She just digs in, waiting for her parents to start the conversation.

 

"So, where were you the whole night?” Her dad asks immediately, not even bothering to beat around the bush.

 

Chaeyoung knows her parents think she has been out frolicking in clubs again, and that will be the case usually, but it’s different yesterday. “I was just…” It doesn’t feel quite right to label Mina as her friend so Chaeyoung shrugs as she gives an ambiguous answer. “With someone I know.”

 

She sees her father’s eyes twitching and knows her ambiguous answer only serves to strengthen their beliefs, but she doesn’t say anything else to persuade them otherwise. Her father laments, “Can you do something constructive with your life?”

 

Chaeyoung just shrugs as her mother hits his arm disapprovingly. She has always been a rebel; it’s a miracle that her parents haven’t disowned her yet. Her father takes a deep breath to calm himself down before speaking in a more neutral tone. “Come and work at the company tomorrow. At least you won’t be just wasting your life away at clubs.”

 

Her father suggests and Chaeyoung’s face immediately contorts at the thought of it. That is worse than going back to school. “Ew no. I will die of boredom staring at the computer.”

 

“What do you want then? You don’t want to go back to school, and you don’t want to work either.” Her father continues, obviously had enough of this whole situation. This time, even the disapproving pats from her mother does nothing to quell her father’s anger. He looks at her with a frown. “She’s like this because you have been spoiling her! From now on, stop giving her allowance!”

 

“Hey that’s not fair!” Chaeyoung spits out some rice as she retorts.

 

“Why not? You should work hard for it if you want to play. End of discussion.” Her father says resolutely as he picks up his briefcase. She watches her father leave as her mother shoots her a disapproving look and a knock on her head before going after the old man. Chaeyoung just grunts as she heads back into her room. Her mother will probably still give her some money without the old man knowing, so she’s not worried.

 

But she’s worried about something else. Or rather someone else. She plops down on her as she picks up the piece of paper on her bedside desk and looks at it while twirling around with it. Thinking it through, Chaeyoung opens her phone and drafts a message before keying the sequence of numbers on the piece of paper, and sending the message right after. She places both the slip of paper and her phone back on her bedside table, snuggling deeper into the covers. Time for bed.

 

--

 

Mina opens her eyes and she’s greeted by the rotating fan on the ceiling. Rubbing her eyes, she takes a glance around the room and realizes this is not a familiar place; she’s not in her room. She sits up, sees the drip attached to her arm, sees the doctors and nurses walking around and recalls the events of yesterday. Right, she’s in a hospital, courtesy of a certain little kid. Rubbing her temples, she reaches for her bag, pulling out her phone to check the time. It’s around 2 in the afternoon, which means she’s been out for a good 12 hours. She sees a message from an unknown number and opens it curiously.

 

It’s Chaeyoung here, please reply if you are alive.

 

Mina rolls her eyes. This kid has such a peculiar way of saying things. She doesn’t reply and stuffs the phone back in her bag, proceeding to pull off the drip on her arm. If she hurries, she can still make it for her gig at night. Time means money, and she can’t afford to lose any more of that. Picking up her bag, she heads to the counter and sighs. More unnecessary money being spent.

 

She approaches the nurse at the counter. “Hey, I’m staying at that bed over there,” she points in the general direction of where she came from, “and I would like to be discharged.”

 

The nurse looks at her before typing something into the computer in front of her. “Myoui Mina right?” The nurse confirms as Mina nods. “The doctor just recommends rest but other than that you are free to go.”

 

Mina nods and asks the question she doesn’t want to ask. “Erm, how much is the payment…”

 

“Oh, your friend that came with you yesterday paid for you already.”

 

Mina is shocked but nevertheless nods and thanks the nurse. She leaves the hospital, and decides that she might just reply to Chaeyoung’s message after all.

 

Thanks for paying for my hospital bill.

 

--

 

The room is dark when Chaeyoung opens her eyes, the girl stretching and yawning as she looks at the digital clock on her bedside table. It’s a little after 9, just in time to hit the clubs. Pressing her phone, it lights up and she sees a reply from Mina. She snorts at the curt reply as she shoots back a reply quickly, getting up to put on something more presentable to hit the clubs.

 

I still owe you $10million, remember? Count it off from there.

 

Chaeyoung leaves her room and sees both her parents in the living room and she curses under her breath. Why is her father back so early today? She was hoping to be able to catch her mother alone so she could ask for some money. She still tries though, walking towards them as she clears . “Mom, I’m going out…”

 

“Oh okay.” Her mother makes to get up, but her father stops the older woman. He turns to look at Chaeyoung with a raised eyebrow. “I wasn’t joking this morning when I said you are not getting any allowance from now on.”

 

“But she doesn’t even have money to eat dinner! Just this one time, yeobo.” Her mother exclaims but her father doesn’t budge.

 

“There’s food at home, why does she have to go out to eat?” Her father says to her mother, before turning back to look at Chaeyoung sternly. “I’m serious. I’m not giving you anymore of my money for you to throw it away at the clubs.”

 

Chaeyoung isn’t one to beg, so she just shrugs as she heads to the shoe cabinet. “It’s okay, Mom I will find a way somehow.”

 

She hears her mother asking, “How?”

 

She makes sure to lock her eyes with her father as she says her next words. “I don’t know, sell my body, or find a sugar daddy maybe?”

 

“Son Chaeyoung!” Her mother’s exasperated calls are the last thing she hears as she closes the door.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung enters the club, patting the bouncers at the door on the back while they acknowledge her with a nod of their heads. She comes here every night, it’s no wonder they recognize her and vice versa. She hears the loud music, feels the beat vibrate through every nerve on her body and she suddenly feels rejuvenated, refreshed even. She stretches her arms while cracking her neck. It’s a new day (night) at the club, and she already sees a few pretty faces she fancies among the crowd and Chaeyoung thinks it’s going to be a good night.

 

She heads to the bar first and she’s surprised to see a familiar face leaning against the table, talking to the bartender. She slides into the seat next to the girl, knocking on the table to get her attention. Mina turns to look at her, annoyed look immediately replaced by surprise.

 

“What are you doing here kid?” Mina asks and Chaeyoung resists the urge to roll her eyes at how she’s addressed.

 

“The same reason why you are here probably.” Chaeyoung jests back and she thinks she sees Mina’s face falter a bit before pulling back into her usual poker face.

 

“Trust me, we are not here for the same reasons.” Bambam, the bartender hands over a bill to Mina and she takes it from him with a small smile. Bambam then settles Chaeyoung’s usual order down in front of her but before she can drink it, Mina takes her drink before gulping it down in one shot. She snickers at it as she slides off the chair. “Strawberry Rose Spritzer? And you still say you are not a kid.”

 

“I just like strawberries a lot okay!” Chaeyoung hollers at the retreating back view of Mina who just waves before heading back into the crowd. She grumbles as she looks at Bambam who’s looking at her while chuckling.

 

“You are mingling with escorts now?” Bambam asks as he replaces her empty cup.

 

“What ?” She asks genuinely and almost spits out her drink at Bambam’s answer. “Mina. She’s an .”

 

Chaeyoung takes a moment to take all the information in, blinking her eyes a few times as it registers in her head. “Isn’t she… an actress?”

 

“Ah yes, but she works as a part time , says she gets to meet all the people with connections to help her in her career.”

 

Chaeyoung gulps as she holds up her cup, hiding her face behind it. She was just joking about selling her body to her parents before she left her house, but here she is, meeting someone who might actually be doing that and she feels so guilty. To her, it was a joke, but to others, it is very real, a way of life, a legitimate occupation. Chaeyoung waves Bambam over.

 

“Does she… you know…. Offer more than services?”

 

Bambam shrugs as he's wiping off a wine cup. “Who knows?”

 

--

 

A few minutes later, Chaeyoung sees Mina leaving with a greasy fat man beside her, his arms draped on her waist. The way Mina subtly shifts away from his touch doesn’t escape Chaeyoung, and it just confuses her. Mina opens the door of the club for the man, but he just pulls her closer, placing a kiss on her cheek. She sees the way Mina flinches before masking it with a tight lipped smile as she hits the man on the chest coyly before pushing him out of the club. Chaeyoung can tell how the girl doesn't like being touched, so what is she doing here, working in this place? Why? Now she's intrigued by the other girl.

 

Mina comes back without the man this time, making her way to the restroom and Chaeyoung doesn’t know what she’s running high on, but she finds herself following after the other girl. She opens the door to the restroom just as Mina enters a stall, not even bothering to lock it as she vomits into the toilet. Chaeyoung frowns as she makes her way to the girl, seeing her bent over the toilet, her hair covering her face. She holds up Mina’s hair, sees the girl look at her, wanting to say something before another wave hits and she turns back to the toilet to throw out again. Chaeyoung pats her on the back, and hands her tissues when the girl is done. Mina wipes , mumbles her gratitude before heading to the sink to wash up.

 

She looks at Chaeyoung through the mirror. “Thanks.”

 

Chaeyoung just shrugs. “Then maybe you can consider waiving the $10million?”

 

Mina just scowls as she makes her way out of the toilet, with Chaeyoung following in toll. The two make their way outside the club, Mina hugging her small handbag closer, trying to find some warmth in the cold night. The girl looks so down, broken even and Chaeyoung looks down at the dark green padding she has on and without thinking, she s it and drapes it over her. The girl flinches at the touch but she sees the way Mina’s gaze harden again, the soft look from before gone. “If you are doing this to make me waive off your settlement fee, it’s not going to work.”

 

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. “Have you not heard of chivalry?”

 

“Chivalry is dead.” Mina deadpans and Chaeyoung isn’t surprised at Mina’s thinking. It’s hard to think that people still have chivalry in her line of work.

 

She takes a deep breath. “It’s altruism then.”

 

Mina just sneers. “Humans are just selfish creatures. There’s no such thing as true altruism. You help because you expect help in return. You helped me just now because you wanted me to waive your settlement fee. Simple as that.”

 

Chaeyoung coughs at Mina’s words. This woman is so depressing and negative, what has she gone through to make her like this? She’s determined to prove her wrong. A cab pulls up and Chaeyoung opens the door for Mina and the latter scowls at Chaeyoung’s ‘chivalry’ before getting into the cab.

 

“Just so you know, I’m going to prove you wrong. You can call me anytime if you need help, and that’s a promise.” Chaeyoung assures Mina before turning to the driver. “Please send her home safe Ahjussi!”

 

She closes the car door and sees Mina rolling her eyes at her through the windows but she just lifts two fingers to her temples to give her a mock salute as the taxi drives off into the night. 

 

--

a/n: exactly two weeks from the last update phew i did it! 

does the last gesture that chaeng did ring a bell? hurhurhur not sure if this is what you expected but pls continue to read and comment!