The "Childhood Friend" Curse

agrodolce - mihyun oneshot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Are you ready for some... tragic? If not, then it's time to skip one of my works :P I WARNED YOU SO DON'T GO AND HATE ON ME ON THE COMMENT SECTION xD

I will write this from Dahyun's POV for a change! It's going to be a short one, yep shorter than usual because I suffer writing tragic too lmao

 

 

" Friends forever! " Me and Mina unnie said to each other on that day of primary school, being the innocent 6 and 7 years old kids we were. We promised it in that park just behind her house, where we would usually hang out after school with our mothers (who became friends, besties, even.).

I first met her just an year before that promise, Mina was a cute kid, and as result she got all the interest of the boys in our school. You know how kids are, if they have interest in a girl, they would bully her because apparentely when you're that age boys think that bothering the girl you like will make her notice you and like you. So, me being the nosy kid I was, decide to step in a push a boy older than me on the ground when I saw him putting a bug in Mina's face.

" Ya. What do you think you're doing?! " the older boy gets up and pushes me down too.

" Stop bullying her! Can't you see she's going to cry? " I clench my fist and yell at him.

" That's none of your business! My mom told me that younger kids should respect older kids, and by your uniform I can tell that you're a year younger so, get lost. " he snorts and goes back to the girl, who was looking at me with a sparkle in her eyes.

" NO! " I push him again and grab Mina's hand, who at that time I didn't even know, and ran away as fast as we could to the school courtyard.

A few pants, and the older girl started laughing softly, making me eye her curiously.

" Thank you... " the girl murmurs.

" Hey, no problem. What's your name? I'm Kim Dahyun! Friends call me Dahyunie. " I flashed her a smile, that earned another laugh from the older as my teeth were half there and half not thanks to the fact that I lost a few.

" I'm Myoui Mina, really, thank you. " she smiles back and that's when I get a good look at her, I've seen a lot of pretty kids at school, but somehow Mina had a different aura, how did I never notice her?

" Let's be friends! I'll protect you from now on unnie! "

From that moment on, suddenly my world turned into something revolving around Mina unnie. I would always wait for her to finish school and wait outside the gates to walk together, I'd often visit her class during the break and play with her and even got to know her bestfriend, Jihyo. Boys would not touch her anymore because even if I was little, I started learning hapkido for my own sake and also for Mina unnie, because I felt like now it was my own duty to protect her.

As the years went on, nothing changed, by the time of high school, Mina was now the prettiest girl in school, "a walking doll", as other defined her and boys weren't bullying her anymore, instead, they courted her in everyway possible, but that is while trying to avoid me, who would always curse them away.

" Dahyunie, don't be so rough on them, it's not like they're bullying me. " her beloved unnie was an angel, no one in this world deserved her, not even me. Because yes, at some point I noticed that when guys courted my unnie, it wasn't because I wanted to protect her that I acted pissy at them, but it was because I was jealous. I wanted her to be mine, I wanted to be the only one who could protect her and her only source of trust. I was always there when she needed it, always tried my best whenever someone made her sad, punched a bunch of guys who broke her heart when they rejected her, because no one simply rejects Myoui Mina and thinks they can get away with it, you just don't deserve to live if you break her heart. Guys she liked would break up with her because she way 'too quiet', 'too shy', 'didn't want to be touched' and other stuff like that.

And I hated it, because I couldn't tell Mina about my feelings, it was too weird. We've known each other since forever, we were childhood friends, we were both girls, Mina had never seen me that way, it was the childhood friend curse. I was just that, her childhood friend and a kid that tries her best to protect her, nothing more.

It was fine though, at least I was still the closest of her friends, sure she had friends like Jihyo unnie, Nayeon unnie or Jeongyeon unnie, but whenever she felt sad, angry or happy I would be the first to know, the first to comfort her, the first to beat up whoever made her sad.

So when did I start getting frustrated? Maybe because of all the hints I gave her but she's such a clueless idiot she never noticed them, but how did she not notice it when I straight up said " Unnie I like you. " in a serious tone and all she did was giggle and say " I like you too Dahyunie. " and I couldn't even reply because I was too shocked at the fact that she didn't even consider that my like wasn't the like as a friend, but the like that actually was Love. But, it's okay, I told myself.

No, I tell myself that everytime.

 

 

 

 

 

" Dahyun... I met this girl... " she said with a blush on her cheeks " she's... wonderful. "

" O-oh... really? Do I know her? " I stuttered, great, but seeing Mina so happy to meet a girl was a first, and the blush wasn't a good sign.

" Maybe? She's Jeongyeon's friend. " Mina thinks, she's always adorable when she does because she has her lips slowly parted and forming a duck kiss.

" Sana? "

" No, the other girl. "

" Momo? "

Mina nods and smile sheepishly, I clench my fist tightly at the sight, I would be fine if she got married to a guy and live happily ever after, she would build a family with me eventually and he'd protect her from anything and anyone. But Mina with a girl? Why not me then?

" Dahyun-ah, actually they asked us to go out with them, Sana told me to invite you too. You're going to come right? I'd feel better if you're with me. "

And I wanted to say no so badly, going there would be like self-harm seeing Mina shamelessly trying to flirt with Momo or the other way around, while I stand helplessly on the side feeling like wanting to put a bullet on my head.

" Of course, anything for you, you know that! " but when Mina begs like that, it makes me so weak and I just can't say no.

" Really?! You're the best! I love you! " Mina hugs me tightly and snuggles her head on my shoulder. Ahh... kill me, now.

" I love you too. " And not as a damn friend.

 

 

 

 

 

I met this Momo girl, it was the second time we met each other. I hated that I couldn't blame Mina for developing a crush on her, Momo was a sweetheart, cute and just a nice person who I knew couldn't hurt anyone unless they did her wrong. She treats me nicely, like I'm her sister in blood. She's that one person that you just can't hate because there's not a reason to unless you're a piece of who hates on everyone.

Weeks would pass, and Mina would only talk about Momo. " Momo did this... ; Me and Momo went to... ;  Momo gave me... ".

I started to wonder how could I survive all of this, seeing the love of my life falling in love with someone else while she remains clueless of my feelings for her. Maybe distancing myself from Mina was the best choice... but, one request and my feet were already down at the entrance of her house. Because I could do anything for her. And I hated it with.

" If you keep glaring at her like that, she's going to notice. " Sana whispers while looking at her phone.

" I wasn't glaring... "

" Trust me, you were glaring so much you'd think she murdered your family or something. " she snorts, and I can't help but look down in embarassment, thankfully though she gives up trying to tease me and instead...

" Listen... you and me, we're kind of in the same situation. And I guess we can't say anything about it because hey, Momo really like Mina, I haven't seen her put in so much effort, she even ditched food (which never happens) when Mina invited her out with your friends. "

" Are you saying that you... have feelings for Momo? "

" For the longest time, but I do have a girlfriend myself. I will always have feelings for Momo but I know she doesn't see me as a possible candidate, plus Mina is a great girl. "

" Poor girlfriend... "

" Hey. " Sana pushes me lightly with her shoulder " I love my girlfriend, I just love Momo too. But I never made my girlfriend feel like she wasn't enough for me, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter