Coming Home?

Unforeseen Guest - Hoya

Five Months, ten days, twenty-three hours and fifty seven minutes ago, you watched your best friend walk out the door, off to his few month business trip. Tears quickly filled your eyes even though, he wished that you wouldn’t cry, wiping away a few escaping tears, you moved out to your balcony and gazed down at the parking lot below.

Watching him push the lobby floor door open, with his duffle bag hanging over his shoulder his figure highlighted from under the lamps spread across the parking lot. Pushing his hand into his pocket, he grasped his keys and removed them from his pocket before he lifted his hand and wiped away a stray tear falling from the corner of his eye. Double tapping the button on the key fob, the headlights of his car flashed as the chime welcomed him back.

Watching him open the back door, he removed his bag from his shoulder before closing the door behind him. Turning around, he opened his car door before his brown eyes lifted up to your balcony. Seeing you slightly backlit from the soft lighting of your apartment, a smile curled on his lips as he rose his free hand and waved at you. Waving back, you watched him with tears in your eyes as he stepped into his car and twisted the key, hearing the purr of the engine, he flipped on the cab lights as you saw him blow you a kiss. Capturing the kiss and blowing one back, he shifted the car into gear and slowly pulled out of his spot and headed out of the parking lot.

With every inch that he passed, your heart ached more and more seeing your best friend, the man you loved, the one you saw your future with slowly pull away unsure if he would be coming back. The brake lights were slightly lit as you watched the red hue slowly fade down the streets, with him out of sight, you allowed yourself to let free, with tears streaming down your face and dripping off of your chin, you leaned against your elbows on the railing to try and keep your knees from buckling from under you.

Even four months, thirteen days, eleven hours later you stood in the same spot, without the tears running down your face and dripping off your skin, you watched the road hoping that he would return that night. The cool night air slowly brushed over your skin, causing the hairs on the back of your neck to stand tall as your shoulders slightly shivered trying to keep you warm.

Glancing at the time on your phone, you sighed into the cool night air before retreating inside, calling it a night.

Night after night was the same routine, getting home from your daily activities, finishing up some unfinished assignments from earlier before you stepped outside and allowed your mind to wander while your eyes were focused on the winding road, the parking lot and his empty spot where he used to park his car.

One night as you arrived home from your busy day, you slipped off your shoes, placed a microwave dinner in the small over and tapped the appropriate time with your fingers before starting the timer. Padding back to your bedroom, you grabbed a black tank top and some grey speckled sweatpants, changing into the comfier pair of clothes, you gathered your hair into a high ponytail while you walked back to the kitchen. Hearing the timer chime upon your arrival, you pulled open the door and quickly removed your dinner from the spinning carousel inside. Peeling back the wrapping, you watched white steam pour out of the packaging as a heavenly aroma of food accompanied the hot air.

Allowing your meal to cool slightly, you carried it over to your small kitchen table. Pulling your laptop over, you opened the lid and typed in your password allowing the laptop to come to life. Checking up on some emails and social media, you took a few bites of food every once and awhile as you perused the movies that you could download. Reading a few synopsis, you finally settled on a movie that would work. Clicking the button for the movie to download, you pulled one of your legs underneath you as your quiet apartment kept you company with the only sound of you slowly eating your meal occasionally filling the space with sound.

Scraping up the last part of your dinner, you took one final bite before your phone lit up with a new message. Figuring that it was one of your friends from earlier, you pushed the container away from you before grasping your phone and pulling it closer to you. Dragging your thumb across the screen of your phone, it changed from the lock to home screen as you clicked on the new message.

Hey :)

Oh my goodness! Is this really you?! You sent back, double checking the name that labeled the conversation to be your one, your only, Hoya.

Haha Yes sweetheart, it is really me. I’m sorry I have been extremely busy…

I totally understand :) Where are you right now?

You questioned him, knowing that you haven’t texted each other in a little over 5 weeks. However every time that you have talked to him he was in a unique country.

Where would you like me to be?

His cheesy response caused you to smile, looking away from your phone and slightly biting your lip, you tried to capture your emotions so that you could type back a response.

With me at home…

Can you wait two hours for me to be there?

His reply caused your eyes to go wide as you had to reread the message over and over again, not sure what he was implying.

W-Wait… where are you right now?

You questioned just wanting to clarify

The airport, I literally just stepped off the plane.I have a few things to do before I can pay you a visit, but I would love to stop by tonight when I am finished…. Do you have a little time to spare tonight?

Reading his words, you were literally bouncing up and down in your seat, your smile showing the maximum level of happiness that could elude from you.

I’d love it if you could pay me a visit :D

Alright sweetheart, I can’t wait to see you and hold you in my arms….

Feeling like you were on cloud nine, you slid off of your chair and stood on your energized feet, disposing of the emptied dinner container, you quickly placed a few things in the dishwasher, wanting to make your place look presentable. Wiping off the table, you some music, turning up the volume, you worked with the beat of the music keeping you working at a fast pace.

Finishing up cleaning the kitchen, you started the dishwasher and wiped off the countertops before moving into the living room, disposing of emptied wrappers and tidying up the books on your coffee table and folding the jostled blankets on the couch. You were soon satisfied with the living room and quickly trotted back to your bedroom. Making your bed and tossing the clothes on the floor into the hamper, you tidied up your bathroom, placing all of your things in a drawer and wiping off the countertops again.

Catching your reflection in the mirror, you stopped and ran your eyes quickly over your comfortable clothes, shaking your head from side to side you exited the bathroom and pulled out a pair of lilac purple shorts. Knowing that they were Hoya’s favorite, you exchanged your sweatpants for the light purple shorts, exposing more of your legs and hugging your figure a bit more. Pulling the hem of your black tank top over your waistband, you headed back into the bathroom to look at your changed outfit.

Liking the outfit, you focused your attention on your hair. Undoing the sagging ponytail, you combed through your hair and gathered your hair into a high ponytail. Running your hand over the tail of your pony, you walked out of the bathroom. Double checking everything as you passed through your bedroom, then the living room and finally the kitchen.

Turning off your music, you closed the lid to your laptop for the moment, just as you let the lid close a knock came from your front door. Instantly snapping your head to the direction of your front door, your heart seemed to jump into a fast paced heartbeat. Nerves and excitement danced through your bloodstream and spread throughout your body while you trotted quickly to the door.

Not bothering to look through your peephole, you undid the chain lock and the dead bolt lock before swinging the door open anticipating a hug from the man on the other side of the door.