And we go again

Polaris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This love we share was never made to die...

 

The atmosphere was tense, and Hyun was obviously sensitive enough to notice it right away. He also noticed that Gary was exceptionally sad. Gary cried a lot the previous night, but his eyes were no longer red. But you can always trust the perceptive Hyun to pick it up.

“Why’s Gary so sad?” he whispered to Jihyo. Jihyo smiled, gratefully acknowledging that Hyun is much more open now. But she doesn’t reply him and just shook her head.

It could have meant two things- 1) She didn’t know, or 2) She didn’t want to talk about it.

Hyun nodded. But he was no longer the same. He was growing up, gradually moving out of his shell. So, he spoke again. “He was happy yesterday,” he pressed. “He wanted to start afresh with you.”

Jihyo was shocked at what she heard. She wasn’t sure if she even heard it correctly. And to hear it coming from Hyun, it’s even more strange.

She blinked a couple of times, then decided to ignore the question. “Kwang Soo’s coming to visit today,” she said instead.

Hyun stared at her, but doesn’t reply to that. He let her help him wash up and change. After he was done, Jihyo pushed him out to the hall, where Gary was.

“Kwang Soo- the social worker- is coming to visit,” Jihyo said to Gary, avoiding eye contact.

Gary stood up. “Then I should make a move,” he said awkwardly, not knowing how to respond. Jihyo opened to protest, but she couldn’t bring herself to tell him to stay. Instead, it was Hyun who spoke up.

“Stay,” he said. “I would like him to meet you. I think you will both like each other.” Hearing this, Gary smiled, touched that Hyun thought of him that way. And for Hyun to suggest this, he know he took a special place in his heart. And he was grateful that his quiet child was opened up to him so much.

He looked up, his gaze meeting Jihyo’s. “Yeah… you can stay,” she stuttered.

Gary sat back down on the sofa, while Jihyo went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Hyun was in the hall, with Gary. He watched Gary quietly, but doesn’t question him. Gary kept his gaze down, but he knew Hyun was looking at him. He didn’t feel uncomfortable, though. In fact, he felt protected, like he’s being watched over.

After some time, Hyun rolled away into his bedroom and came back out again. Still not speaking, he stuffed something into Gary’s hand. The chipmunk.

Clearly understanding what Hyun meant, Gary looked up at him, with tears in his eyes. Hyun smiled back at him.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” Gary whispered. His voice was strained and Hyun knew he was trying not to cry. He nodded. Gary smiled despite his tears.

Hyun yelled to Jihyo, in his loudest squeaky voice, “We’re going out for a walk!”

Jihyo was surprised to hear Hyun being this loud, and she knew it wasn’t simply a walk, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter