If only...

Polaris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Gary and Hyun returned, his eyes were slightly red, but he was happy. His steps had a light bounce to it, and it didn’t escape Jihyo’s eyes.

“Where did you go?” she asked Gary. He doesn’t reply, but winked at her. She frowned, turning to ask Hyun, but he simply flashed her a cheeky smile she’d never seen before. Jihyo was happy that Hyun liked being with Gary, but she couldn’t help being a little jealous over their little secret. She turned away, pretending to take the dishes out. Gar chuckled, shaking his head. Then, he followed her into the kitchen.

“Are you jealous?” he asked, placing his face dangerously close to hers. His heart raced. He wanted to kiss her, and it was taking all of the will he had to stop himself. He missed her so much. Jihyo was startled at this closeness and she backed away.

“No…” she stuttered. Her heart was racing too; she was afraid he could hear.

Gary shrugged. “Let me help you,” he said, reaching across her to take the plates to the dining area. In doing so, his arm brushed across hers. She flinched at this familiar yet distant skin-ship. Gary noticed that and his heart stung, but he didn’t point it out.

As usual, they ate dinner in silence. After dinner, they played a couple of games together and watched TV, before Jihyo put Hyun to bed.

Jihyo wanted to go to bed as well, but Gary came in. He gestured outside. Jihyo sighed, but followed. They sat on the sofa, but not side by side. She was afraid that he would talk about Taeyang again.

“You don’t have to sit so stiffly,” Gary said. “I won’t talk about it.”

Jihyo looked at him in surprise, but sighed in relief.

“You read people so well now,” Jihyo commented.

Gary smiled cheekily, shaking his head. “Just you.”

Jihyo looked away shyly, although a small smile formed on her face.

Gary chuckled softly. “I’m kidding. I guess working with so many children who doesn’t speak helps.”

Jihyo doesn’t reply, but she looked up at him, encouraging him to continue. Gary smiled. “You behave so much like Hyun, do you know that?”

She doesn’t reply to that. Gary continues, “When I’m talking to you, it’s almost like a monologue.”

“I speak too,” she grumbles good-naturedly, but Gary laughs it off.

“It’s like you’ve changed a lot but remained the same all at once,” Gary said. “I don’t think I could see the old you behaving so spontaneously and adopting a child. But at the same time, you’re still as quiet as ever.”

Jihyo ponders over his words and nodded. Then she chuckles. “Yeah, I’m behaving like Hyun. I realise I’m nodding more than I speak.”

“There’s nothing wrong with it. Some people find it harder to articulate their thoughts. But I guess it would be better for them to do so, even if it’s just to themselves. At least that was what I told Hyun.”

Jihyo looked at him, surprised. “I said the same thing to him.”

A brief silence. Then Gary came to a realization. “The chipmunk…”

Jihyo smiled. Their gazes met. How could they be so similar even after being separated for so long?

“What else did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter