Still trying

Polaris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After their short lunch, the trio went home. Hyun said silent the whole way. The two adults didn’t talk much either. But strangely, though, it wasn’t a tense atmosphere. It was just quiet, maybe calm.

 

Finally, when they reached home, Gary offered to help Hyun with his coat. The boy let him. While Jihyo went into the room, Gary tried talking to him. He bent down beside Hyun's wheelchair and brushed his hair. 

 

 

“Are you upset at me?” he asked.

Hyun hesitated, but eventually shook his head.

“That’s good,” Gary smiled, rubbing Hyun’s cheeks. “Would you want to go for a walk with me?”

Hyun nodded without hesitation this time round.

 

 

It was no longer snowing, but it was still cold, despite their coats. As they breathed in and out, white puffs of air condensed in front of them. There were very few people on the streets. 

Gary took a deep breath, before speaking. 

“I would have told you earlier,” Gary said, sighing. “But the thing is… I am not so sure of it anymore.”

He paused for a long while. Hyun had to prompt him. “Of what?” he said.

“Of whether I should still leave.”

He paused for a long while again. But this time, Hyun let him take his time. This was the thing with Hyun. He was only 7, and yet, he knows more about comforting others than most adults. Sometimes, it wasn't words that comforted. It wasn't words that helped. It was the presence, the thought, the actions. Some adults never realise this, but Hyun already knew. Maybe this was why Gary always found comfort in talking to him.

“When Taeyang died,” Gary begin again, clearing his throat. “I left, because I thought that if I stayed, it will cause her more pain. But now… I feel like I shouldn’t have done so. I should have stayed with her, no matter how painful it was.

"And yet, I can’t say that my decision to leave was wrong. I’ve helped so many children, I’ve healed them and they’ve healed me. I’ve done so much more that I could have if I just stayed…

"Now that I am back, I want to stay with Jihyo. It’s just…

"I’m afraid. I’m still afraid of the uncertainty our future holds. Ironic, isn’t it? I can risk my life, travelling to high-risks area. And yet…” he sighed, trailing off. 

He was afraid. Even though what Jae Suk said gave him some confidence, but what if he hurts Jihyo again? What if they fall apart again? He wouldn't be able to handle that. And... Why would he have the right to come back to her, after hurting her so badly? She hasn't got over Taeyang's death. If he were to go back to her... wouldn't it hurt her more for him to be there, constantly tethering her to the happier past? He was conflicted. His mind whirled, not knowing what to do. 

Neither of them spoke for a long while. The snow crunched against Gary's boots and Hyun's wheelchair. 

 

“She just wants you to be happy,” Hyun said softly.

 

Tears welled up in Gary’s eyes again. Of course she did. She always put his interests before her. It was time he did something for her.

 

Calming down, he made his decision. “I know what to do,” Gary smiled, amidst his tears. He would make it all up to her. He would be there for her and Hyun from now on. 

 

 

He pushed Hyun’s wheelchair back home, then ran out again. He ran as fast as he could, to a nearby jewellery shop. He bought a bracelet and ran back with the same speed, or faster. Even in the winter cold, he sweated through his jacket. But he was happy, just thinking about what the future holds. 

 

He dashed into the house- his home, their home. It had been a while since he allowed himself to think of it that way. Their home. 

“Where did you go?” Jihyo questioned as soon as he stepped in. She was visbily worried, more than she should. But Gary was too busy to notice. She wanted to say something, but then, seeing how sweaty he was, she asked instead, “Why are you-?”

But before she could complete her sentence, he cut her off.

“Let’s start over, Jihyo,” he barely managed to breathe out.

Jihyo blinked, too stunned to reply.

Gary took out the bracelet. “I know, I know I shouldn’t have ran away. I’ll make it up to you, Jihyo. I’ll stay with Hyun and you, and I-”

Jihyo started to tear. She moved away from him, as if in fear, shaking her head.  Gary stopped his sentence midway in shock. He opened his mouth to protest, but he decided to wait for her to speak up.

“I don’t think we should rush into this,” she finally said, through her tears.

“I…” Gary began. He was confused. Why was Jihyo so hesitant? Why did she seem so afraid? They had been so happy together these few weeks. He wanted to argue, but Jihyo continued.

“You only think this way because you have no mission at hand. But when there’s a disaster? What if you have to leave us again? I don’t want to rely on you, only to have you leave again… I can’t… If we fall apart again, I don’t think I could handle it…”

“But…” Gary protested. Don’t you have any faith in me? But then he realised, it was his fault.

“We can’t go back again, oppa. We have gone too far… Too far from where we’ve started.”

“But we don’t have to go back to how we were,” he said, almost yelling in frustration. “We could start anew.”

Jihyo just kept sobbing. Gary went up, pulling her into a hug. "Listen to me, Jihyo. Please..." He repeated softly.  Jihyo struggled against him, although she eventually just fell limp in his arms, letting him support her. 

“Look at the news,” she pleaded, finally speaking, as she sobbed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter