The Night Before

A Pinch of Fairy Dust

“I’ll just hail a cab” Seunghyun grumbled

"It will only take a few minutes hyung, I promise" Jaewoo even placed his hand to his heart as if doing so would prove his sincerity

"Just hurry up" he groaned back.

It was past midnight and Bigbang's resident art connoisseur has an early filming schedule the next day but because his friend and designated driver could not wait until the next morning to meet up with "the girlfriend" he found his still-no-driver’s-license tagging along to the latter’s rendezvous.

They were parked in front of a nondescript building located in a sullen area of an otherwise busy Hongdae neighborhood. The first floor of the structure was occupied by a fairly lit bookstore where Jaewoo's supposed girlfriend work.

"I'll be back in a minute" Jaewoo shouted to him while jogging towards the bookstore's entrance. Seunghyun just grunted in reply and slumped even further on the passenger seat. The "few drinks" he had a couple of hours ago were starting to kick in.. 

If they knew of his state right now they’d most likely chide him for acting like a poser.

“Stop it with those expensive as wines hyung! The Instagram world already knows that you are rich and cultured”

A few minutes later a knock on his side of the car roused Seunghyun from his sleep. He peeked outside the window to check if Jaewoo has returned but saw no one. His wristwatch read 2:30.

"A few minutes my " he muttered irritated and stepped out of the car to follow his soon-to-be-ex-friend inside the bookstore. He found that the establishment was generously left unlocked despite the "Closed" sign on the door.

The interior of the shop was as somber as it's neighborhood. Books were strewn all over the aging cabinets that looked like they had seen better days. A dated computer was resting on the counter. Except for an out of placed magazine rack which contained the latest magazines everything else looked old and sentimental. Seunghyun was starting to feel nostalgic when all of a sudden-

BLAAAG!

"Fuuuuuccckk!!!"

One minute he was walking through a maze of books and the next minute he found himself lying flat on the cold linoleum floor after tripping on an unknown object. 

He sat up with a groan and grimly surveyed his surroundings. He noticed a thick hardbound book lying precariously by his feet. When he reached for it he was surprised to find that despite its thickness the book wasn't heavy at all. And, unlike the other dust-covered books this one was in pristine condition with its green cover gleaming even in the dismal lighting at the store.

The title of the book read "Your Guide to Fairies". Seunghyun couldn't help but scoff.

I wonder what kind of nerd would buy this book?

He turned the book over for inspection. A phrase which looked like an incantation of sorts was embossed on the hard cover. He began to read it out loud,

 

"Good faerie folk,

Wild and free,

Beyond the Veil,

Please let me see!"

 

Despite the closed shutters of the bookstore, cold wind seemed to have rushed over to where he was. He felt the chill right to his bones. Not one to be spooked easily, Seunghyun was about to open the book to check its contents when he heard footsteps.

"Seunghyun-hyung is that you?" Jaewoo's voice pulled him out of his reverie. He looked up to where the voice was coming from and saw him walking towards him with a beautiful lady dressed like a bohemian's laundry basket just exploded on her. 

Where does he find these kind of girls?

Seunghyun stood up and smiled at the girl before turning his attention to his ex-friend.

“I thought you said you’d only be gone for a few minutes” he glared at Jaewoo who was now wearing a sheepish smile “It’s almost three in the morning bastard!”

"Sorry hyung. We got sidetracked" Jaewoo winked at the girl's direction but she just rolled her eyes at him.

"Seunghyun muttered under his breath while trying to dust himself off. 

Miss bohemian-laudry-basket smiled at him apologetically. “I’m sorry, this selfish idiot didn’t tell me that someone was waiting for him. A word of advice, it will be better for you to stop being friends with him" she laughedI’m Jihye by the way.”

"TOP" he flashed his charismatic smile at her “It’s okay. When I found out that he’s been gone for more than two hours already, I’ve erased him from my contacts list. I’m actually planning to ban him from going anywhere near me right after he chauffeured me home.

“Hyuuuuung, Saranghae” Jaewoon even made a huge heart with his hands over his head. “Anyways, what were you doing on the floor?”

"Oh, I tripped over this book" Seunghyun showed them the mysterious book.

Jihye leaned over to examine the book he was carrying. "This one's not ours"

"You've actually memorized all the books you have here?" Seunghyun motioned at the chaotic bookstore. The girl just grinned back.

"That's my genius babe" Jaewoo proudly put his arms over Jihye who promptly shrug it off.

Seunghyun grimaced at them, "I’m exhausted. Will you lovebirds please just take my drunk and lonely home now"

Seunghyun staggered towards the exit all the while clutching the curious book firmly in his hand. His migraine has doubled and a dull thumping sound seemed to permeate from within his head.

Meanwhile, somewhere inside the darkened establishment a light started to grow brighter and brighter until it erupted into streaks of gold, green, orange and purple before vanishing into the musty air without a trace.