Fairies for Dummies

A Pinch of Fairy Dust

It started with a buzz. A loud, annoying noise groggily rose Choi Seunghyun from his drunken stupor. Out of habit he reached for his mobile phone to disable the alarm but the device wasn’t in its usual place at his bedside table.

“Stop meddling with his phone” Seunghyun heard a stern whisper. He bolted from his bed only to come face to face with Lee Chaerin.

Lee Chaerin with wings.

Lee Chaerin flying with tiny little wings that were attached to her equally tiny body.

Seunghyun tried to scream but was promptly cut-off by a painful smack on his forehead courtesy of a wand-yielding tiny Lee Chaerin.

A wand?!  What the did I drink last night?!

“Hush you shrieking banshee” tiny Lee Chaerin scolded.

“What the is going on?”

“Tsk. Tsk. How crass” a tiny creature who looked eerily familiar glared up at Seunghyun. She was sitting far too comfortably on his mobile phone which, unknown to its owner, has been transferred from his bedside table to the end of his bed for a detailed inspection of its contents. Her face was painted with disgust as she gave him a once-over.

“Bommie-noona” he whispered in amazement while the other just rolled her eyes at him.

Another creature stood quietly not too far away. Her face does not betray any emotion even when he stared at her intently, “Minzy-yah. I should’ve known”.

Then it struck him.

If Chaerin, Bom-noona, and Minzy are here then that means—

“Human, let me do the pleasure of introducing ourselves and explaining the purpose of this visit” the Chaerin doppelganger interrupted his thoughts

“We are Sprites.”

Seunghyun’s head cocked to the side in confusion. “Soft drinks?” he asked.

“Fairies you Idiot” Bom noona’s doppelganger answered exasperatedly. He tried to give her the stink eye but she just flipped her hair at him.

“Your people used to call us sprites and our world has adapted to that name since” tiny allegedly-a-fairy Chaerin explained helpfully.

Seunghyun’s jaw dropped.

Fairies. It couldn’t be. This has to be a dream.

Seunghyun pooled his blanket closer to his body like a shield. “What do you want from me”

“We want your body” tiny Minji looked at him stoically at first then started to curve into an evil smile “We are here to possess and take-over you”

“After that, we will sacrifice you to our gods. The process will be so painful that you’ll wish for death to arrive sooner” evil and definitely-not-a-fairy Bom added in a cheery tone. Seunghyun wanted to cry.

“Spring! Minja! Stop teasing him” a voice interrupted his torture. Despite the reproachful tone, Seunghyun immediately recognized the soft and melodious voice that has made his heart flutter on not so few occasions.

He franticly searched for the owner of the voice. Seunghyun could swear that on that very moment that his eyes laid eyes on her, his heart did a triple somersault that almost ended his life right there in the middle of his bedroom surrounded by three evil creatures and a goddess.

Sandara Park

“Noona” he croaked before everything went black.