Sunbaenim Hoobaenim

Collection of Random Junkies

It was crazy. He drove the car as if we were in a car chase. He was so sure that his daughter was on the same ride with his best friend. I, who was just a hoobae to him became his personal assistant while waiting for my own time in search of my own career. But we’ll skip that coz the car is going nuts with all the speed and adrenaline rushing in.

We reached a shopping mall and he got out of the car as fast as lightning. He was still dead silent, worried was all over his face and went into the mall, looking for her daughter with the man he used to believe as his own trusted friend.

2 hours ago.

“Appa! I’m going to be home late today coz a friend of mine is taking me shopping” she smiled and hugged Onew sunbaenim before leaving the room.

“Wait. Who is this friend of yours?” Worried he asked.

Giggling, she gave out her answer with no holding back. “Namja chingu”

I gave a surprised yet happy look to sunbaenim but he looked more surprised to find his only daughter at the age of 20 already has a boyfriend of her own.

“Unnie, I’m going to buy you something too” and she left in a rush.

Everything was fine and all but the reason we got here was because Onew sunbaenim immediately recognize the man who succeeded in taking Haru’s heart away; his only best friend, Jonghyun sunbaenim.

I couldn’t catch up to him entering the mall and decided to go back to the car. Things got all messed up and I thought by returning to him might help in returning those wonderful moments I had with him during the university life. Surprise surprise! He’s already married with a daughter too (sad face).

Remembering the early days when I walked up into his office room and seeing that smile he used to had was still vivid in my mind. Soon after he saw me, he just… his smile just… faded away as if I wasn’t invited to come in the first place. It’s been several months being his assistant around the campus. Quitting his job as a theatre director, he continued his career as a lecturer to watch over his daughter after the death of his loving wife.

Ever since, I walked into his life and as soon as Haru started entering college, I helped him all the way to look out for her daughter as a repayment for a free tutoring in becoming a theatre director myself. My feelings grew but seeing him being frantic today, I put my mind that I need to stop lying to myself. That I need to put an end to this unrequited love.

He got back in the car, the moment I started tearing up thinking about the past and the final decision I’ve made then and there. “Areum. Are you free on Monday?” Buckling up his seatbelt. “I need your help confronting my daughter and Jonghyun.” He smiled, thinking about his own wicked plan. “That good for nothing Jonghyun” He murmured as he looked straight outside the car, strangling the steering wheel. “I mean. How could Haru decided to date some 38 year old-“

“Sunbaenim! I quit.” Final, not taking it back anymore.

“Wh-what?” The mood became tense for the both of us. “Areum-ah. Look at me.”

I didn’t realised I was shutting my eyelids tight when I said those words. Gently opening them up, “What did you say?”

I mustered up all my courage and faced him. “I said… I quit”

His nose and ears became red, I noticed that through my teared up eyes. Is he sobbing? I thought.

“If-if it’s about the cut in your paycheck last week… mianhe. I was just jok-“

“Sunbaenim! I can’t help you and your daughter anymore because this is between you and her. I’m just a stranger in this family. I don’t belong anywhere! And it’s time for me to leave. Thank you for all that you had taught me and I’ll be waiting for my final paycheck by this week” I nodded and left amidst the rain.

“Areum-ah!” His voice was fading as I walked away and all this pain of unrequited love got its freedom after all. “You’re not a stranger!” Burst of tears became one with the raindrops. “Marry me!” I cried up so much and started hiccupping and my nose was running as well- wait what?

My feet stopped and I must’ve heard it wrong but an abrupt pull made me face him. His eyes and nose were all red and it was true. He was sobbing and finally teared up as well.

“I regret those days not saying this to you earlier but Haru came along and I had no choice but to keep it in.”

He must be joking, right? He just wants me to be his assistant and help with all of those paperwok and handling the students-

“Mianhe for not noticing it earlier and…” His voice paused my thought making me look at him in the eyes.

Looking back to my own pair of dark swelled up eyes, he said it in an honest way, making me believe in him.

“…SRH”

 

 


 

 

Thank you for reading this cheezy and simple, ordinary one-shot. Honestly, this was purely cheesy and I had to write out saranghae as SRH. Hope you guys don’t mind. *hides my face*

Stay tuned for the next drabble/onshot. ;)

~Pink9894~