~ 5 ~

Intruder

Minho tried to slow down his pace, from the corner of his eyes he saw Taemin rushing his feet in order to keep up with him, he insisted on taking him to the slaves market by himself even though Key said he would do it, that way- he convinced himself- it won’t make any sad memories about Mir but deep inside he knew he just wanted to choose someone who would treat the boy well after he’ll sell him.

The rope around his wrists look too tight, it created bluish marks on his pale skin, he saw the tears that rolled down his cheeks and hated himself for being deaf to his pleads, moments ago Taemin begged for his mercies and he just barked at him for silence.

The city around them was loud and many people walked down the streets, when someone placed his hand on his shoulder both Minho and Taemin stopped and looked at him.

“How much for the pretty girl” the man asked with a toothless smirk.

Minho glanced at Taemin who looked terrified “pretty boy…” he corrected him.

The man gave him an unsure look before he eyed Taemin looking for something that would prove him he’s a boy, Taemin could barely breathe as he did.

In a moment of inattentiveness the man pulled the rope from Minho’s hand, Taemin had been pulled and fell on his belly unexpectedly, sharp cry of pain escaped his lips when he hit his chin on the ground, the pain paralyzed him.

“A little sissy I would say…” the man said laughing “well, mate-” his words had been cut off by Minho’s punch.

Taemin tasted blood on his tongue, he raised teary eyes at the Captain before he looked at the man who was now laying on the floor cursing the whole damn pirates, when he got to his feet Minho threatened him with a fist up ready to hit him again, the man probably knew better because he decided to go on his way instead of fighting with him.

Minho reached his hands and pulled Taemin to his feet, the anger that was written on his face replaced by concern as he placed his finger underneath his chin and looked at his wounded flesh, Taemin mewled with pain and bitten his lip to stop himself from making any farther noises.

“You’re bleeding” Minho said and tried to wipe the blood from the boy’s chin with his palm, it hadn’t stopped it though “let’s go back to the ship” he mumbled and untied the rope from his hands.

Taemin looked at him surprised, he his wrists  briefly before he placed his hand on his chin, it was hurts and there was a lot of blood on it “C-Captain…”

“Come’on, before I’ll change my mind”  

They walked back to the ship quietly, Taemin hadn’t tried to run though he could.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

Key made his way through the markets, though his eyes scanned the place his mind kept thinking about Taemin, his plan was to set him free at the moment they’ll get lost at the crowded city but Minho insisted on selling him by himself. He’ll miss the young boy when they’ll sail away.

Stopping at one of the stalls Key looked at expensive fabrics, trying to push away his gloomy thoughts about the boy.

“High quality” a nice man said and reached his side.

Key glanced at the man beside him and smiled, his sharp cheekbones made him look serious but his big smile made him look oh so sweet, he found himself staring at him shamelessly.

“You should take dark colors, it would suit you well…”

Key nodded and brushed his fingers over the fabrics without even looking.

“I could make you a good price” the man said and reached his hand to a dark blue fabric, he held it up to his eye level.

“Well, I could use some new clothes” Key mumbled and took it from his hand, he chose red and gold fabrics as well.

“Lovely choice” the man remarked.

“Thank you, Mr…?”

“Kim, Jonghyun”

“Thank you, Jonghyun…” Key said leaving honorific aside as he pulled a small bag of golden coins from his pocket.  

Jonghyun took the bag of money along with the chosen fabrics, he tied it all and gave it to Key, he smiled when he saw it was too heavy for him to lift “you’ll might need help” he said and took it from his hand “where to?”

“To the port” Key said and pointed at the ship.

“After you, Mr…?”

“Kim Kibum. But you can call me Key”  

  

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

“KEY!” Minho barked as he got on the ship, Taemin followed him quietly.

“Aye?” Key made his way unwillingly from the prow, he was too busy watching the beautiful Jonghyun leaving the port back to the markets, his eyes bulged when he saw Taemin, wounded Taemin “what happened?” he asked and rushed toward the boy, he held his shoulders and allowed him to collapse in his arms.

“Take care of him” Minho said coldly as he made his way to his cabin.

“Taemin, what happened?” Key asked the boy, by now he thought his friend would sell him.

Taemin burst in tears, exhausted from all the storming emotions in him, his body ached from his falling and though the blood on his chin already dried it was still very painful.

Key sighed and urged him to go to his cabin where he could take care of his wound.

At the cabin, Key sat on a chair in front of the boy, by his side he had a little first-aid box and bowl of warm water, he pulled a cotton ball from the box and dipped it in the water, he decided that disinfectant would just burn.

Taemin bitten his lips so hard in order not to cry out of pain when Key cleaned his chin from dry blood.

“What happened?” Key asked hoping to finally get some answers.

“...The Captain” Taemin mumbled, he already calmed from his outburst “he tried to sell me but hadn't after the man pulled me and I fell-ahhh!”

“Sorry…” Key said and pulled the cotton ball away from the wound, he looked for a ban-aid and placed it on it gently.

“Thank you…”

Key nodded and gave him a small reassuring smile, like promising him things would be OK “are you hurt in another place?”

“Nothing bloody”

Key nodded and got up from his chair, he placed the first aid box back in it place and turned at the boy “let’s make you a tub, after that you should take some rest”

“Why haven't he sold me?”

Smiling to himself Key lied “I don't know”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 
 

Key found his friend at the prow, he was leaning against the railings watching the city, deep in thoughts. Tonight it was awfully quiet, most of the crew was out on the streets looking for thrills and booze.  

“There you are” he said as he got closer, he placed a friendly hand on Minho’s shoulder making him turn at him with a tired smile.

“Something wrong?”

Key shook his head “no, just thought you’ll be out like the rest”

Minho turned his gaze back at the city “not tonight”

“So we’re staying here for awhile?”

“Don’t know yet” he admitted “why haven't you out?”

Key shrugged “kept an eye on Taemin until he fell asleep”

Minho’s body tensed “is he OK?”

Key lowered is hand from his friend’s shoulder and nodded.

“His chin?”

“Better”

“He fell really hard…”

“Nothing broken, maybe few marks but nothing serious”

“Good”

“Why haven’t you sold him?”

“The man haven't offered enough money” Minho lied.   

“Really?” Key crossed his hands over his chest, his voice was teasing.

“Don't push your luck”

“You like him, don’t you?”

Minho snorted and rolled his eyes.

“I never saw you like that before, you actually like him”

“I don’t like him” Minho hissed between gritted teeth.

“It’s either that or his worth a gold, otherwise I don’t see-”

“Ya!” Minho burst at his friend.

“See… you like him” Key smiled triumphantly.   

Before Minho could answer someone drew their attention, Key was the first to look down at the port and a big smile crossed his lips when a man called his name.

“Who is this?” Minho asked.

“Jonghyun…” Key called back “what are you doing here?”

“I saw the ship is still here and...I thought maybe you’d like to...you know, have a drink or something?”

“Who is this?” Minho asked again.

Key nodded a little enthusiastic “be right down” he called and turned to his friend “sorry, later?”

“Who is this?”

“Someone I met at the market today”

Minho eyed the man on the port and nodded “have fun…” he mumbled and watched his friend leaving.