The Golden Microphone

Just A Dream
Our group was waiting in the old abandoned mansion we managed to infiltrate. I trusted the clues that led to this place. There was not much choice other than to believe it. It was the only piece of information we obtained regarding Woo Hyun’s whereabouts.
 
“Come on, the train is coming.” Seul Yi motioned her hands to us.
 
We approached her, going through the door that resembled a kitchen entrance. But once we passed through, we found ourselves at an underground train station. The platform was as wrecked and dark as the mansion itself was. The architecture looked damaged and grim, like someone had purposely set to destroy it halfway.
 
“Where will the train lead us?” Maerin asked.
 
“I have no idea.”
 
The clue, which I don’t remember the origin of, told us to board the train. I vividly forced myself to memorize the command like a chant: Board the train, exit at the first lane.
 
“Oh! I see it,” Bi Ah broke the silence.
 
The dark tunnel was lit up by a single source of blinding light. The mechanical sound of the moving vehicle filled their ears along with the loud honking as steam blew off from the locomotive’s chimney.
 
The vehicle stopped in front of them and we all looked at one another, hesitant. I was the first to set foot on the train’s wagon, and the other three girls followed behind me before the locomotive strode off.
 
The cabin was much smaller than expected. There were a bunch of other girls who looked less than amused to see us.
 
“We have to get off at the first stop,” I whispered to my friends since these strangers were not to be trusted—no one was.
 
“What will we do then?” Seul Yi asked, failing to keep her voice as quiet as mine. Few girls started to stare at us.
 
“I don’t know. I suppose we'll find out once we’re there.”
 
After several minutes, the voice of the conductor echoed through the speakers. Everyone automatically looked up to face the device as if we would find him there.
 
“We will be approaching the first stop soon. There won’t be any stops.”
 
“What? Then how are we gonna get off?” Maerin asked out loud. Her question earned some scoffs from others.
 
“You jump,” someone said. But we had no idea who. All the people in the wagon suddenly lined up in front of the entrance, preparing to jump.
 
Me and the other three girls were in disbelief. But when the train continued moving, some people jumped off. Soon everyone pushed against each other and jumped off as well. In the end, we braced ourselves and imitated their movement. We had no idea what to expect, even if it meant death.
 
Surprisingly, we against a grey carpeted floor belonging to a different place. It resembled a closed off room of black walls. There were large wall dividers in front of us, also black in color but with bright red and yellow of circles painted on them. It resembled a maze, and we still had no idea where to go.
 
“We need to find it!” Someone else had shouted. The group of people landed on their feet, while the four of us pathetically crouched on the floor and struggled to get up. They ran off, and we followed. A door appeared in sight at the far secluded corner of the room. Once they opened it, we came to our next mission.
 
It was a big and spacious room resembling a gigantic gym arena. There weren’t classic PE equipments, but there were lots of huge monochromatic colored blocks that acted like the platform for us to step on. It seemed to be made of squishy foam cushions. Everything was chaotically placed within the room like those survival game shows on TV. Getting from one platform to another would take great agility and strength.
 
Everyone immediately dispersed and started racing around wildly in search for something. We had no idea what exactly we were looking for, but went with the flow. It probably would lead to Woo Hyun.
 
Luckily I was always the most agile person of my class, so I could easily pull myself on top of a higher platform while others were struggling. I jumped from one place to another, not caring if I would fall to the ground.
 
Nearly fifteen minutes in and we found nothing. People were starting to get tired. But Woo Hyun’s life was at stake, so I couldn’t take a break. I noticed a circular podium in the middle that was unreachable to anyone. It was about 5 meters tall, and too far away to jump unto.
 
“Forget it. No one has made it,” Ki Bum suddenly spoke to me, apparently being part of the group of people earlier. He was shaking his head and heading the other way to give up.
 
But not me.
 
I saw a rope dangling from the ceiling. There was no hesitation when I began running and jumped off the tall platform to grab hold of the rope. People watched as I swung my way to the circular podium in the middle. There was a weird pouch near the ceiling, and I reached into it to find the item everyone was looking for: the golden microphone.
 
“I found it!” I loudly announced to everyone.
 
A karaoke machine then appeared at the back with a touch screen TV showing nine different song choices. I had no idea what to do and the microphone. And somehow I felt it was appropriate to make a speech.
 
“Dear strangers I have met on the train,” I started and people were looking up. “My beloved boyfriend was captured and is now being held as hostage by some bad people. I thank you and appreciate the opportunity for letting me win and find this golden microphone. I could not have done it without your help, because you are all awesome. And now-”
 
Before I was done, the speakers suddenly turned off and the mic was no longer working. I tapped its head several times, but it still didn’t work. Then the TV monitor behind me turned to show ‘30’ in big red letters, along with with few comments of several strangers saying it was boring.
 
“I think you have to sing and get a higher score,” Maerin suddenly told me, appearing on the podium with me. “Maybe we’ll get a clue if we score high.”
 
“It’s okay if I take another turn, right? Or will I be hogging the mic? Technically, the first time didn’t count cause I didn’t know what to do.” I saidworriedly, knowing everyone wanted a turn with the microphone too.
 
“Just do it,” she encouraged, and no one seemed to mind.
 
I looked at the nine song choices. There were no Infinite songs. There was one Exo song, but I didn’t feel like singing it.
 
“Oh Goodbye!” I pointed at one. “Is this goodbye baby goodbye?”
 
“No, this is Goodbye by 2NE1,” Maerin corrected me with a laugh.
 
“Aw man, I really wanted to sing the Miss A one,” I wailed. Then I noticed the song besides 2NE1, which was exactly the Miss A song I wanted. Maerin helped me press it and soon the intro appeared.
 
Maybe I get extra points if I danced along to it. So after JYP’s trademark whisper, I started to put up a spectacular performance with dancing and all.
 
“Goodbye, baby goodbye~”
 
From that high up, I couldn’t see whether people were watching or not. But when the chorus intro was done, the music stopped abruptly and people applauded. A lot of positive comments appeared on the TV screen and this time I got a much higher score.
 
Soon, we’ll be able to save him.
 




I don't know why the dream started off rather coolly only to have it end so weirdly. The golden microphone is actually something from my upcoming onshot, so I don't know why it crossed over into my dream. I realize Woo Hyun was missing this time, but I haven't dreamed in a long while I thought it was stll cool to post this XD