Number One

Just A Dream
It was during high school, I assume, when the instructor of a certain class suddenly decided to split the students into groups of seven for a new group assignment. I wasn’t so close with the other classmates aside from the usual greetings, some of which I don’t even remember the name of.
 
Although it must’ve been fate or a favor when I got assigned in the same group with Nam Woo Hyun. Exchanges with him went a little beyond the usual greetings, except that it never lasted long because I never managed to keep staring in his eyes—which was supposed to be a good conversation etiquette—for longer than five minutes
 
“So what theme should we choose?” Woo Hyun had asked when our group members sat together. Honestly, I wasn’t even sure what the assignment was except having to present something through a music video?
 
“We could try a y concept,” Seol Hyun said. Ah yes, that girl who was so overrated for her beauty by all the guys at campus was in my group too. But she was still nice and we surprisingly got along well.
 
“Let’s try something cool!” I think it was Baek Hyun who spoke. He was someone I was somewhat close with.
 
“Why can’t we do a cutesy concept?” A random girl I honestly don’t know the name of said.
 
And then I finally suggested. “Why don’t we try them all?”
 
Somehow, they agreed.
 
So the following few days we ended up shooting different type of short music videos, each around 15 seconds long. At this point of the dream, I still had no idea what the purpose of the whole assignment was. One video we did had that really classy style where the girls were wearing fancy gowns and the guys were in tuxedos. In another one we somehow took up a hillbilly concept and used fake teeth and all. There was even a Fix-It-Felix themed video where we all dressed up as plumbers and fixed things with a hammer as the music continued playing.
 
“Which one is your favorite?” Woo Hyun asked me one time when we were sitting in the bus, going back home after a trip to the zoo where we shot a video too.
 
He was sort of the unproclaimed leader of our group, so I assumed he was questioning each member to gather our opinions for an anonymous poll. But the way he casted his gaze so softly at me made it really hard to think of anything.
 
“I like this one,” I said, playing off the video I had saved on my phone so I could keep the conversation to a minimum. Who knew how stupid I would look trying to speak to him without constantly smiling?
 
It was a rather dark concept. We were in a dim lit castle while the thunders were dramatically roaring outside. Using the beat of the typical horror music dominated by the sound of organs being played, we all spun around into position. First Woo Hyun and Baek Hyun, both dressed in a fancy suit nearly as creepy as Count Dracula. And then the girls twirled from behind them into our position forming a W formation. Then Seol Hyun and I each grabbed Woo Hyun’s arm and pushed him against the dark wall with a small thud. The reason why it was my favorite video was because I had an excuse to be exceptionally close to him physically, since my role was the one who had to bite his neck (not literally, but be close enough to give that impression.) Plus his expressions were so dangerously charming my eyes refused to look away from him even through my phone screen.
 
“Ah, I can see why you like that one.” Woo Hyun’s voice beside me interrupted my admiration for the video. I turned to him and he was looking at me so playfully like he knew my biggest secret.
 
“Why?” I softly asked.
 
“Because you’re all red every time you watch that video,” he noted, a finger poking my blushing cheek. Then he laughed so beautifully I felt it was worth my embarrassment.
 
Does that mean he noticed whenever I kept rewatching that video and grinned to myself like an idiot? Does that mean he had been paying attention to me?
 
A lowkey fangirl laughter escaped my lips, and he caught me off guard again when he suddenly ruffled my hair. His touch felt so delicate when he slightly ran his fingers through my hair.
 
“Let’s go with that video then.”
 

 
I don’t remember everything that happened next. Our group ended up having the best submission, and the reward was a scholarship to a university of our choice. Only the problem was that only one student could claim the prize. And somehow, Woo Hyun ended up being the one taking the reward without any of our consent or agreement.
 
For the following few days, we were bitter and mad at him. The set of feelings I didn’t think I was capable of feeling when it came to him, but it did anyway. There was that disappointment of being let down by the one person you trusted. There was anger as to why he would claim everything and leave us behind as if we did not partake in our group’s victory.
 
“This is so unfair,” Seol Hyun muttered, being just as disappointed as the rest of ush. She still looked flawless even when her lips were puckered up.
 
“You see, this is why he can’t be your number one,” Baek Hyun suddenly said, and he was looking at me. Was everyone aware I had a crush on Woo Hyun or something?
 
“Let me be your number one from now on,” the guy suddenly proclaimed.
 
And I must’ve been so low in a slump to crazily enough nod along to his statement, agreeing with some truth that lied within his words. It didn’t make my heart beat faster, nor did the cheesy words sound the slightest bit romantic in my ears. I simply agreed because it was the only way I had to cope with my sadness over what Woo Hyun had done. He had let all of us down.
 
“Okay,” I told him. And things changed.
 

 
I must’ve been so crazy and out of my mind. But not seeing Woo Hyun for days and not even knowing where he was made me feel so hollow to the point I accepted Baek Hyun trying to fill up that empty space. At first Baek Hyun was being all sweet and adorable like a typical boyfriend would be, but none of it were enough to shake up my heart. He wasn’t my boyfriend, but I welcomed his attempts to approach me. I really wanted to move on from the non existent relationship I had with Woo Hyun in the first place anyway, but my one-sided admiration or crush made it nearly impossible.
 
So one time, Baek Hyun brought me to the deserted back of the sport equipment’s storage place outside. People rarely frequented that hidden spot. Knowing no one was around, he suddenly pushed me against the wall, coming so dangerously close in my vision.
 
“Didn’t you say I would be your number one?” He hissed, desperate in that underlying plea.
 
I have no idea what was going on anymore. At first I thought the guy was joking, but I didn’t think he would actually be interested. Why would he? Anyone knows I only had eyes for Woo Hyun anyway.
 
How has he been doing lately? Was he doing well at the new campus? Did he charm all the girls without knowing he did so? Despite not seeing him for weeks, or maybe months now, the feeling never actually subdued—not even a single bit.
 
“Just so you know,” Baek Hyun’s voice was a breathy whisper against my ear, and I shivered. “I will become your number one no matter what.”
 
He suddenly started exerting more force and I momentarily forgot he was a member of the hapkido club at school. He had me pinned against the wall and I couldn’t do anything but cry when he started kissing me down my neck. Every peck of his lips felt cold and was haunting me with fear instead. And I didn’t have the physical or mental strength to push him away.
 
But someone else did. Someone managed to land a punch against Baek Hyun’s jawline, pushing him to the ground.
 
Next thing I knew was a jacket being thrown over me to cover up the blouse Baek Hyun had slightly ripped. I looked up to my savior, my heart thudding louder in anticipation when I knew that he had returned. Woo Hyun was back.
 
“Why can’t you take care of yourself?” He semi shouted at me. He was angry, and I didn’t understand why. After not having seen each other for so long, this was not how I imagined he would be. But perhaps, that anger was just a cover up for his fear. His fingers holding unto my arms were slightly shaking. But what was he so afraid of?
 
Knowing I couldn’t articulate a response, he quickly guided me to stand behind him as he took a protective stance. His eyes were glaring at Baek Hyun who raised up after the punch received.
 
Woo Hyun said nothing, but his hands were still on mine. His fingers were so warm when they laced around mine, and my heart nearly jumped out from the excessive feeling of ecstasy I never felt with anyone else before. Only Woo Hyun could make me feel this way, and therefore I knew and was certain of:
 
Woo Hyun will always be my number one.


 



Again such a random dream. I think it's because me and my friends were talking about how I didn't have a bias wrecker cause no one can replace Woo Hyun. And then this happened~ Even my subconscious won't let me have any bias wrecker~ :3