The Season

Dollhouse

Over the next couple of months, Chaerin has taught Bom how to eat, how to talk, how to sit, how to stand, how to smile, how to do everything according to the etiquette. It has been hard work, as being raised in a simple environment, none of those fancy behaviours felt natural to the girl. But at the end of each day, she was rewarded with a beautiful smile from her determined teacher which has been enough to keep her going. 

Of course, Bom has also spent more and more time with her Master. Every single day after finishing his responsibilities Soo Hyuk would take Bom to the library and teach her how to read and write, he would tell her long tales about the history of Metropolis, would let her admire beautiful art pieces, or listen to him playing the piano. From time to time he would take her to his study room, place her on his lap and continue to work as if she wasn't even there while one of his hands would slowly her thigh. 

The young heir would also come to her chambers every single morning to wake her up with his subtle touches, dressing her up in more and more beautiful dresses as if Bom was a doll he wants to show to his friends. During the meals he would put the best foods on her plate, usually attempting to feed her; only to receive a disapproving look from his older sister across the table. In the evenings, Soo Hyuk would take her to the bathing room and gently clean every single part of her body, wrapping it in the softest towels and carrying her to her chamber once he is finished. During the first few nights she has expected the future Lord would decide to own her in a way a husband owns a wife, but the older boy has never gone further than a few kisses on her forehead. 

As the time flew she became more and more accustomed to the household. She became close friends with Lisa and some other servants. Sometimes helping them in cleaning or in the kitchen when they needed a hand. Her Master would scold her for that as he didn't want her to do any hard labour but soon he agreed to at least let her work in the kitchen when he tried one of her dishes. Now the only responsibility in the household she has is preparing a sweet treat for her Master when he acquires her to do so. But her familiarity with the household and closer relations with its members are not the only thing that changed. 

With time spent with the heir, Bom started noticing more and more traits worth appreciating shown by the man. Apart from obvious beautiful features, as the future Lord is quite well known for his looks, the girl noticed that under the cold demeanour and at times peculiar behaviour, Soo Hyuk has often shown good heart, so different when compared to his mother. Although he is vastly superior to most of the people she knows, he has never treated anyone with disrespect, showing a great consideration to the servants in this house, even if those not serving directly under him may disagree. Bom has seen when Lisa was feeling light-headed, Soo Hyuk without further questions has made her sit down, gave a glass of water and told her to finish work earlier. She has also seen when Ten got injured, the Master himself attended his wounds. She has also noticed how all of the acts of goodness are brushed off by the heir himself, performed with no emotion shown on his face, his eyes empty and sad yet making her heart skip a beat every time she met them with her own. 

Bom can't also help but admire the beauty of her Master every time he lies next to her on the bed or he places her on his lap. With such close proximity, his hair looks even silkier, his skin even more perfect, his eyelashes even longer, brushing softly over high cheekbones. She can observe the usually empty and sharp eyes coming into life with tiny sparks when the heir softly brushes her hair with his hand. The way his delicate hands are becoming even more so, every time he puts the fabric over her body always leaves her out of breath, even after enduring the treatment every single morning. 

The days would pass by very slowly when Bom did not have to work every day in order for her family to survive. After her daily lessons and before her meeting with Soo Hyuk she was free to do whatever she wanted. It times like this she would usually go to the garden and sit among the flowers, listening to the words whispered by the wind; those few moments of her completely alone giving her some time to think. Surprisingly, the biggest topic that has found a permanent residence inside her head was without a question, the future Lord. Bom did not understand what's behind the mask of indifference? Why did he act so warm towards her and so cold to everyone else?  Did he have any romantic feelings for her? If he did, why didn't he act upon them? Bom would not mind, or would she? This is what has been poisoning Bom's mind these days: whether she would actually mind or not Soo Hyuk initiating an intimate physical contact with her or not. At first, she did mind but now she's not so sure. No matter how emotionless the heir seems to be, Bom can't help but fall for the man, knowing that her feelings would probably never be mutual as the heir is too far gone in his own world to feel something like true love. 

With that, the Season, as Miss Chaerin called it, has started. Many young and wealthy men and women from all over the Metropolis have arrived at the mansion for a concert of one of the greatest pianist in the Metropolis followed by a ball. The place was filled with music, laughter, and flirtatious whispers. Bom was not allowed to come downstairs and greet the guests as she was supposed to be officially introduced at the ball as the great surprise for the Master's friends. It was also way too early for her to start getting ready as Lisa was not due to join her in the preparations for another couple of hours. She sat at the window in her chamber and observed what is happening in front of the mansion. She saw a black Brougham pulling next to the front entrance, followed by a fargon behind. Two young, handsome men got out of the carriage, embracing both Soo Hyuk and Chaerin. Then the four of them moved towards the house, the taller man with pitch black hair embracing the future Lord with his left arm around the shoulders, and the shorter one grabbing Miss Chaerin by the hand and softly kissing her cheek. 'Who are those men? I've never seen them before.' the young girl thought as she curiously observed the group of people behind the window. Soon the group has entered the house, disappearing from the girl's view. 

The preparation for the ball has been much longer than Bom has expected. The dress prepared by the Master was made of velvet material in a silver-ish colour giving way to a navy blue on the long train lined with frills. The sleeves were long, close to the body, then formed into puffs at the shoulders; the back exposed. Lisa pinned her long black hair up, leaving singular curls to flow down. If Bom had to describe her appearance, it would be one of a porcelain doll she saw once in a shop when Miss Chaerin took her out to buy some books.

The heir entered the room and took her small hand into his larger one. "You look absolutely stunning, my dear. My friends cannot wait to meet you. Come!" With that, he led her to the great ballroom of the mansion, a place Bom visited only once since she moved in. As two men opened the heavy door in front of them, a third one approached them and after a short whispered conversation announced them as "Lord Lee Soo Hyuk and his pet Park Bom". At that moment, all eyes were on them. Some showed pure curiosity, others surprise, but what affected Bom the most were the vicious stares of many women in the room directed at her. As her confidence slowly crumbled, the man at her hand pulled her closer to his body and pulled her towards Miss Chaerin and two mysterious gentlemen she saw earlier through the window. 

"Bom, meet my friends. This is Choi Seunghyun and Kwon Jiyong, we met at school years ago. Jiyong is also Chaerin's fiancé, they're going to get married at the beginning of the next year." As she smiled at both the young man and the master's sister, she felt a rough hand grabbing hers, bringing it closer to the taller unknown man's lips. 

"I'm Choi Seunghyun. It's a pleasure to meet you."