Caging Hearts

[Compilation of One-shots] The Series of the Heart

CAGING HEARTS

The sunrays reflected off the surface of his face, momentarily taking the chance to scorn at the imperfect surroundings in contrast to his beauty. He tilted his head slightly, revealing a pair of sparkling eyes similar to that of a wolf's. It glinted with a deep unknown darkness.

With one hand, he slowly withdrew his knife from the scabbard his other was holding. It too glinted in the sunlight; only that it glinted dark red.

His pair of dark secretive eyes smiled as he slowly drew the stained knife towards his pale lips. He slid the blades upon his tongue. His dark smiling eyes were dancing in fire. Fire for the taste of the blood he was consuming; the foreign blood mixed with the blood dripping from his tongue.

Like a drug addict to , flinging his head back, his eyelids met. He released the knife from his grips and it fell to the floor.

"Hyun Joongie.." a seductive voice made itself heard.

The voice was followed by the appearance of a lady. She was tall, slender and apparently leather was her favourite fashion genre. She walked over and sat across him, waving an unknown bag in his face.

He immediately leaned forward like a starving wolf, his eyes went soft and helpless. A whimper escaped out from him.

"You want this, don't you?" she asked, her voice husky.

He nodded, hungry.

"You would do anything for this, won't you?"

He nodded, hungrier. She smiled, and handed him the bag.

Almost snatching it over, he instantly flushed his throat with its liquid content. No, you're wrong. The liquid was no where near red in colour.

It was blue. 

But that was then.
_______________________________________________________________________

This is now.

A figure slid past the pillars and behind the walls. Like a snake, his footsteps made no noise even on the crankiest floorboards. He tilted his body, and allowed his eyes to be fixed onto another figure in an open distance. His heart was thudding his ribcage.

There she was, the one that could summon and dismiss his heartbeats so easily. She was looking for something, she flashed out her cellphone and drew them to her ears.

His phone beeped.

"I'm here," he said over the line as he stepped out from behind the pillars.

She skipped towards him. Her smile beamed, captivating his soul for the split second. She stared at him, cupping his cheeks in her palm.

"Joongie, where were you."

It was times like this he wanted time to stop.

"I just came," he enjoyed her hands on his face.

"I almost thought you went missing again." 

I suppose, sometimes simple words like 'again' could tell a story.

"Miane," he tucked the stray lock of hair behind her ears before holding her hands in his. They walked down the lane together.

"Will you guys stop following? Just go and stand somewhere else!" her voice suddenly curt as she spun around to face the 3 bodyguards trailing after her footsteps.

"Miss," one explained, "you know we can't do that..."

"I don't really care if you can or not, I'm telling you to," she frowned.

"But Miss." Another bodyguard came up to stop the one from protesting.

"As you wish, Miss, we'll wait here."

She spun around, took his hand, and brought him away.

The lane bordered with evening lamps and autumn leaves opened towards the coast where the raging waves pounded to the cries of seagulls. She slumped herself onto the nearest bench she found.

He went over to hunt for scarce blades of green grass that he prayed to find on the autumn floor. He found three long blades, and that was enough. Going over to sit beside her, he skillfully weaved the three blades of grass into a ring.

He presented his gift to her.

She smiled as she watched the ring slide into her fingers. "Your brother only meant you well," he coaxed.

"I don't see why he has to get three people to tail me everywhere I go. Just because my dad passed the gang on to him, it doesn't mean he can do what he wants."

"He just wants you to be safe..."

She pouted. "Safe from what? My friends? You?"

She was right, but she didn't know it. "Safe from maybe, enemy gangs. What if someone sent an assassin for you?"

What if, someone sent someone like him?

"Well, you're here. You will protect me, right?"

He smiled, "how can I protect you? I don't have a gun, nor am I a professional bodyguard. I don't even carry a knife."

She pouted again.

"I can only use my body as a shield."

She laughed, "that's all I need."

They admired the ocean together, watching the sun crawl back into the horizon at snail pace.

"Joongie, don't ever leave me, okay?" she sank her head to his chest. It was sturdy and warm.

"Why would I, silly," he hugged her shoulders.

"Ever since Dad and Mum passed away, Oppa has been so busy with the gang. All of the sudden, I feel distant to the world. Except for you."

He hugged her shoulders tighter.

"Don't worry. I'm always here for you," he whispered in her ears, making a discreet attempt to hide his dagger deeper within his coat.
_______________________________________________________________________

He fell to the ground before her, gasping for air.

"It looks like my Hyun Joongie is starting to be a little disobedient."

He shook his head, as helpless as a dog, his palm clutching fiercely onto his chest.

"No?"

He shook his head again, gripping onto his ribs.

Before he knew it, a sharp hard palm collided with his cheeks as his head flung itself to the side with the impact of the blow. "How dare you say no!"

Then she sank herself to his level. With a sharp finger, she forcifully lifted his chin. He faced her, but he kept his eyes on the floor. 

"Joongie..." he hated the way she called him this way. "All I ask of you one very simple task, why are you being like that? When are you going to kill her?"

"S-Soon..."

"When." Now it was sharp. "You do know that you're just a Falartore assassin and you don't really love, right?"

"A month..."

"A month?"

He nodded with whatever strength he had left.

"One month?"

He nodded again.

"Alright, I'll give you one more chance." She smirked before withdrawing the same similar bag.

He took it over and again eagerly gulped down its blue content.

"Remember, you're not a lover. You're just an assassin. Nothing else." She his hair as she would do to a puppy.
_______________________________________________________________________

With his jacket in one hand and his blade in the other, he slugged back into the Quarters.

Instantly, there were so many eyes on him.

"To think 5 months ago he was ranked the most honoured killer in our gang for 4 consecutive years." Kim Kyu Jong whispered a little too loudly to a seemingly newer mate, Kim Hyung Jun.

"That's why they say love makes you brainless," another person replied, he was Park Jung Min. "When I entered, he was so 'supreme' I didn't even dare talk to him."

"So Hyung, before Young Saeng hyung was ranked most honoured assassin, that guy held the title?" Hyung Jun asked.

"He can only blame himself." Jung Min smirked.

"Yet how can anyone stand Heiress' Danso tune?" Kim Kyu Jong smiled along, "Hyung Jun-ah, you see. That's what you'll get if you don't do well."

"Wae?"

"Because all of us have eaten the pill. That includes you."

*

"I hope you don't."

Hyun Joong looked at his friend before tossing his jacket onto his own bed.

"It's not worth it. Not worth the 15 years you took to get to this stage."

He kept quiet, unarming himself off all his weapons.

"You changed."

No reply.

"You are wasting your frigging efforts, Hyun Joong. You know very well Heiress will kill you. That girl is nothing. Why can't-"

"She's not nothing." His voice, sharp.

"Then I suppose fifteen years is? You were the one who thought me the meaning of merciless."

Hyun Joong slumped onto his bed and covered his covers.

"One month, Hyun Joong, please get this over and done with."

It was in these times, he admired people who have the freedom of choice.
_______________________________________________________________________

Two weeks later,

"Happy Anniversary," he whispered as she watched the fireworks explode in the sky.

"Omo..."

"You're like the fireworks, you light up my sky."

When the fireworks ended, he gently hooked a chain onto her neck.

"Thank you. You must have spent a lot." She gave him a kiss.

"Nothing's a lot if its for you."

"This is my gift to you," she handed him a box. In it was a necktie, a beautiful white one.

"Thank you," he loved it, he loved it a lot.

"I'm afraid this will dry out." She looked at the leaf ring around her finger.

"It won't wither that fast," he assured.

"But it will, someday."

"Then I'll make you a new one."

"Promise?"

He hesitated. "Yes, of course."

"I love you.."

"I love you too."

He leaned forward against her, narrowing the gap between their faces before their lips touched. 

It was these times, he wished the world stopped.
_______________________________________________________________________

Two more weeks later,

He was hiding again. He could hear her voice, "go away! Stop following me!" He wished he could stay at this position forever, to hear her voice and feel her presence without going forth to meet her with the thought of having to eventually end her life.

His phone beeped again, and her name reflected on its screen.

He walked over, trying very much to keep his composure. He took a fast glance at the five bodyguards behind her.

"Hello, my angel," he went up to her and planted a kiss on her cheeks.

She immediately grabbed onto his hand and dragged him away. The guards followed as closely as they can.

"Get them away," she complained.

He smiled, "Eun Mi-ah, let's just let them follow us."

"Wae?"

"It won't matter, just get them to stand 7 steps away."

"You, you, you, you, you!" She turned back to face five shocked faces. "7 steps away, all the time!"

They obediently retreated exactly 7 steps.

"There's two more than I last remember." Hyun Joong said as the pair walked.

She sighed. "The Falartores got worst, they planted a lot of spies. Most of them used to be my parent's trusted subordinates. Oppa nearly got assassinated. There was this really really great massacre. I feel like the whole world's filled with betrayals now. I don't even know who I can trust."

He squeezed her hand in comfort.

"You won't betray me right? You won't ever ever betray me right?"

Times like these, he felt like a lowdown liar.

He shook his head and smiled.
_______________________________________________________________________

"One month's up," she squatted to his level and twirled her slender fingers around the white tie that hung from his neck.

He would do anything to pry her hands off the precious gift from Eun Mi. Yet he couldn't, firstly because she was heiress, secondly because his chest was smashing his internal organs.

He groaned, and grasped for air.

"You really like to hear my danso tune, don't you?" she whispered seductively in his ears, "you really like the feeling of your internal organs in pain."

He sunk lower and lower to the ground, her fingers on his tie made him feel like a dog on it's leach.

"So," she whispered again, "when, exactly?"

He didn't reply.

"Answer me, my Joongie."

His lips were still shut.

"I was right. You've never planned on killing her, right from the start."

"Am I right?" she added.

"I-I'll kill her." His mutters were weak.

"Pardon me?"

"I'll kill her, tomorrow." He gasped.

"Am I hearing things? You're killing Kim Eun Mi?"

"I'll kill her, but you'll grant me my freedom when I do."

She chuckled, "you've a deal. But remember, if you don't kill her this time...I will."
_______________________________________________________________________

He turned to his side, her eyes were closed. She took a deep breath in, breathing the autumn fragrance.

Surreptitiously, he slid his fingers into his coat, fully aware of the vigilant eyes of her guards. He reached for the blade.

As he drew them out, he looked at her. Her features were calm, it was obvious she was oblivious. He looked at the leaf ring around her finger.

The blade was now out, but skillfully kept out of the view of her guards. He paused.

He couldn't do it. He just couldn't.

"KILL HER NOW," he heard someone shout. Two men ran over with guns that pointed to her bodyguards.

Her eyes fluttered open immediately, and her guards whipped out their guns.

"NOW, HYUN JOONG."

She stared at the dagger he held in his hands; the blade pointing towards her.

"KILL HER," another said.

"Hyun Joong!" she exclaimed, "what are you doing!"

Sweat trickled down his face. He hesitated.

Bang. Bang.

His two comrades were immediately shot down by the seven bodyguards she had. They ran over and threw him onto the ground. Five caught hold of him, while the other two stood by Eun Mi. She took several seconds to grasp the situation. They were already beating him up before she recovered.

"Falartore," they said when they reached for his blade.

"Miss, he's one of them."

"Joongie...?" 

He looked away, not bothering to struggle under their hands. They pulled him up and brought him closer to Eun Mi.

"Y-You're...you're not one of them, right?" Her voice shook, "what are you guys doing? Let him go! He's not one of them!"

"Miss, he is a Falartore."

"No! He's not! Let him go!"

Her guards wouldn't barge.

"Sorry," he whispered. His teeth were stained with blood.

"You're not a Falartore right? You're not one of them, right..?"

"I'm sorry."

"No, you're not..."

"Eun Mi-ah. I'm sorry."

A palm collided hard with his cheeks.

"Why!"

He looked down.

"Why! Damn it! Joongie! Why!"

"I'm sorry..."

"I can't believe it!" Her voice was accented with tears. "You...you bastard!"

"Give him a beating," one guard told the rest.

"Shall we finish him off, Miss?" they asked after they felt that Hyun Joong was soaked enough in his own blood.

She glared at his pathetic body. How could he do this to her, after all that they've been through. Why did he have to be them? Why did he have to betray her trust; betray her love.

She exhaled. "Let him go."

"Miss..."

"Let. him. go."

They slowly released their grasp on him, she saw that he was half-unconscious.

"I don't ever want to see you again, you...bloody Falartore." there was anger within her tears. "Let's go."

As she left, he slowly pulled his body to a crouch. A teardrop wriggled free from his eyes, it trickled down his blood filled face.

Another teardrop came.

And another.

And another.

***Flashback***

"You're just a dog," Heiress smiled, "my dog."

***End of Flashback***

...and another.
_______________________________________________________________________

He puffed up his chest, and straightened his back as he walked into the halls.

There she waited, seated on her throne-like armchair.

"Joongie, how nice of you to come."

He came before her, and rose up a box. "I've killed her, this box contains her head."

The corners of pulled to a smile, "bring it forth."

With heavy steps, he took the box to her and settled it on her lap.

"You did well," she caressed his face before opening the lid of the box.

Before she could open the box, it dropped off her lap and she cried in pain. The box smashed onto the ground, three big stones rolled out of it, and that was all.

She stared, wide-eyed at the knife that was just penetrated into his chest. She looked at him, shocked.

"I'm sorry," he said, pulling the knife out of her.

She held her wound, "You...!"

"I can't kill her."

"How dare you!" Blood flowed out of her wound, she gasped desperately for air, as how he always did when she played the danso.

"This is the only way I can guard her safety."

The heiress snickered cynically. "You're too naive. You think she's safe now?"

His eyes grew big, insecure.

"I told you...I'll...kill her if you don't." She laughed between breaths, "I've already sent Young Saeng down. She should be dead in a while."

Another laughter within pain.

He staggered two steps back, "Eun Mi..."
_______________________________________________________________________

Eun Mi screamed as nine of her guards fell to the ground, dead.

"I'm sorry," Young Saeng whispered as he positioned a knife on her neck.

She screamed again, he had to cover . "I'll kill you, fast. You won't feel the pain," Young Saeng promised.

She shook her head violently, pleading.

"Hyun Joong will die because of you," Young Saeng told her, "you know how much you've changed him."

Eun Mi quietened down.

"Heiress wants you dead. I promise it'd be over soon."

Tears streamed down her cheeks, he was just too strong.

"HEO YOUNG SAENG." Young Saeng's head darted towards the voice, it was Hyun Joong. "Put the knife down."

"Heiress ordered her dead," Young Saeng calmly said.

"No, put it down."

"She has to die."

"No."

"Heiress won't let you go."

"She will, I've killed her."

"You what?"

"I've killed her. Put the knife down."

Young Saeng fastened the knife on Eun Mi's neck. "I don't believe y-"

"HOLD IT RIGHT THERE."

The three turned towards yet another voice. Out of the blue, four armed men.

"You killed Heiress," they thundered, charging towards the three.

Young Saeng, having seemingly forgetten his mission, dragged Eun Mi towards Hyun Joong.

The three ran.

Eun Mi screamed, fear took over her. Hyun Joong had his grip around her wrist, he pulled her as fast as he could.

"Young Saeng, split!" he shouted to Young Saeng.

Almost instantly, Young Saeng turned to another direction and made off.

*

BANG!

Eun Mi jerked. A force pulled her wrist down. She collided to the ground.

"Where's the last one! He ran that way!"

All of the sudden, there was no one chasing them anymore.

She looked to her side, Hyun Joong was on the ground as well.

"Hyun Joong-ah."

He smiled to her, his lips were white.

She looked at him closely. His shirt was....

Red.

"Joongie!"

She removed his hand off his chest.

A wound.

"Hyun Joong!"

"I'm fine, are you hurt?"

"No, I'm not hurt. You've been shot!" she cried.

"I-It's fine."

"Hyun Joong!"

She held his face in her hands. He could feel the leaf ring caressing his face. He smiled again.

"I'm fine."

"No..Hyun Joong, no..!"

"Eun Mi-ah. I'm s-sorry."

"NO! No!"

"I don't mean to cheat on you."

"Quiet! No..Don't, please, don't. Stay with me!"

"I'm sor-sorry."

"I don't want to hear about this! Stay awake okay! Don't you go! Please..!"

"Forgive me.."

"I forgive you! I forgive you! Just don't. Don't. Hang in there! PLEASE!"

He smiled.

"I..." He held her hands in his.

"No. No. Please. No!"

"I..." 

"PLEASE!"

"I love you."

He gently shut his eyelids.
_______________________________________________________________________

S T O R Y E N D

*Danso -- a Korean traditional flute