Sending Your Heart Away

[Compilation of One-shots] The Series of the Heart

 

SENDING YOUR HEART AWAY

'I really want to help make ends meet.'

That was exactly what Joelle wrote on the paper. She turned to look at him, just to check if he was peeking. As usual, clutching onto a helium balloon, he propped his arms on the railings and watched the night sky sleep.

"I'm done," she announced, folding the paper into a roll.

He turned to her and took the roll of paper over. 

"Are you sure this will work.." her voice soft and tired. "This reminds me of things only kids would believe."

"Joelle-ah, of course it'd work."

"But helium balloons only last for a day, you know that.."

"Would you get me the string?" he asked in that sweet voice only saved for her. She turned around to source for a string right near their belongings. He grinned at her, a heart-melting grin, as he tied the note to the bright yellow balloon.

"Balloon, balloon. Please bring Joelle's troubles away to the brightest star, where it will exchange for something happy," he said to the balloon as he gently let it go.

Joelle watched hopefully as the balloon rose into the air. When the balloon was out of sight, she looked to her side and found Young Saeng watching her intently, his mega-watt smile still plastered on.

"There. You won't be troubled anymore now that you've casted it to the sky," he assured.

She still didn't believe it. This was a typical kind of scenerio suitable for a little child instead. Balloons don't bring your troubles away, everyone knows that. 

"Young Saeng Oppa.." but still, she appreciated the effort.

"Yeah?"

"Kumaoh."

And in reply, she got one of his dazzling smiles.

*

"Kyu Jong-ah."

"Ey hyung!" the two buddies came to a restaurant for tea. "Is anything the matter?"

"Yes. Actually, I was wondering if you could do me a favour.."

"Hyung," Kyu Jong asked, "what favour?"

"You mind employing my friend as part-time?" Young Saeng meekly asked. The restaurant and all its branches were ran by Kyu Jong's family.

"Employ your friend?" yes, Kyu Jong was a heir, but afterall they were still schooling, he wasn't officially into the business yet.

"Ah, it's alright if you can't, I'm just asking."

"Nono hyung, of course I can. It's hyung's friend right? Yes, sure, of course."

*

"Oppa!" she ran to him after class that day.

"Oh Joelle-ah," he'd join her as they walked to the cafeteria together.

"I've got good news!"

"What about?"

"I got employed at this restaurant, the one Kyu Jong-sunbae's family runs. It's a part-time job 4 hours a day and it offers a good pay." She excitedly explained. "Finally I can help my family climb over the financial hurdle!"

"Really? Congratulations! I'm happy for you!" he smiled brightly, "was this what you wrote on the balloon note?"

"Yeah." Joelle would reply. "But Anni! I think it's just my luck!" she would always add, "but anyway, really, thank you."

Joelle smiled sweetly to him, and he flashed his mega-watt grin back.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Time passed.

Young Saeng had taken her by the hand that day, leading her to the rooftops once again. He handed her a piece of paper and a pen.

"Oppa, I told you it won't work..I.." she sighed.

Young Saeng didn't speak, he just waited. Eventually she gave in and scribbled furiously on the piece of paper.


'If only I could get good grades. Then maybe dad and mom won't have to worry that much anymore.'

Young Saeng did the same thing, he motioned for her to pass him a string, tied the note and a balloon together.

"Balloon, balloon. Please bring Joelle's troubles away to the brightest star, where it will exchange for something happy," he said again before he set it off to the sky.

Only after the balloon was no longer in sight that he smiled to her. Joelle pouted, if only things were this easy.

*

"Hyung."

"Yeah?" They were at a bar, the five of them; the five good buddies.

"You mind using these as materials for Joelle?" Young Saeng passed him a stack of notes.

Hyun Joong raised an eyebrow at him. Hyun Joong's parents were old friends of Joelle's parents, having lived near each other for years, Hyun Joong naturally became Joelle's academic helper everytime there were house visits.

"These are potential exam questions I hunted when I was studying that grade," Young Saeng smiled, "don't wanna waste it. If you don't take it it'll prolly go into the bin."

"Yah, thanks a lot, it'd lighten my workload." Hyun Joong smiled back.

*

"Oppa! Oppa!" once again Young Saeng's angel came running to him.

"Wae?"

Joelle raised a piece of paper to his face. "87 marks! It's an A!"

Young Saeng laughed, "oh! Really!" he took over the piece of paper and gave a careful look. "Whoa, Joelle-ah, that's great!"

Joelle giggled, "you know more than half of the paper were spotted by Hyun Joong Oppa."

"Really?" Young Saeng smiled.

"Yeah! Omo, I'm so glad!!"

"I'm glad for you," another smile.

"This was what I wrote on the balloon note too! But it's not your balloons! I'm just really be lucky!" Joelle exclaimed.

Young Saeng pouted.

"Alright alright. Kumaoh," Joelle laughed, "thanks for your effort. I'll get you an ice cream!" She said as she dragged him towards the ice cream stall.
________________________________________________________________________________________

More time passed. Each and every time Joelle had troubles, Young Saeng would just lead her to the rooftop where he would give her pen and paper. Each time, Joelle's wishes would be answered, her troubles would be minimized, what she hoped for was definitely fulfilled. 

Balloons weren't the reason why, she was sure of that. She was merely lucky.

*


'I really want to experience love.'

Young Saeng thought it would be easy this time. He ran to a flower shop to fetch a bouquet of red tulips before running back to campus.

"Joelle, would you please be my valentines?" he was one step late when he saw Hyung Jun kneel before her.

Young Saeng's heart missed a beat the second Joelle nodded her head. It then completely sank when Hyung Jun picked her up and spun her in the air.

*

"Young Saeng Oppa!" she squealed.

"Yeah." His spirits were down.

"You won't believe this! I've never believe your balloon thingy works! But..but..!" anyone could tell she was really happy this time, "I think I believe it now! It was really those balloons! They fulfilled my wish! Hyung Jun Oppa just confessed!"

She jumped up and down in front of him. What could he say?

"Really! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! Yah! Last long okay!"

*

Maybe, it's really the stars this time, Young Saeng concluded. At least..at least she's happy. Yes, he knows she's really happy.

Young Saeng tossed the bouquet into the rubbish dump before walking away.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Joelle was in tears.


'Why, why can't my parents accept Hyung Jun Oppa?'

Young Saeng smiled at her. "Don't cry anymore, you won't be the beautiful Joelle I know if your face is tears-stained." With gentle agile fingers he wiped away her tears and erased all tear-marks on her face. His heart burnt.

"String please," he said cheerfully. She went over and got him a string.

"Yah balloon! Now that Joelle believes in your wonders, please bring her troubles away to the brightest star, where it will exchange for something happy."

Joelle watched with tear-filled eyes as the balloon flew away with the wind.

"There. Your problems will vanish whatever they may be."

Joelle nodded hopefully.

*

"Auntie, Uncle, how are you?"

"Aww Young Saeng-ah, it's so nice for you to come and see us!"

"Anni, actually my parents wanted to pay you a visit but they are very busy so they told me to come on their behalf, and to say sorry to you both." Young Saeng explained.

"You're such a filial boy," Joelle's mother praised.

"Anni, I'm not that good."

"Young Saeng-ah, you're capable, handsome, tall and above all that filial, if you're not good then who is."

"Yeah, I've always wanted my daughter Joelle to be with you. But she's attached now with this boy."

"Hyung Jun-sshi?" Young Saeng asked.

"Yes, that boy."

"Ah Auntie, Uncle, why do you worry so much," Young Saeng said, "Hyung Jun is my buddy. He's a good person."

"Really?" her father seemed very interested.

"Yes. If I'm capable, filial and as good as you say, then Hyung Jun is double of what I am." Young Saeng told them.

"Young Saeng-ah, are you sure?"

"Yes. I've known Hyung Jun for a long long time. Joelle will definitely be happy."

*

"Oppa! Oh my gosh, I can't believe this!!"

"What can't you believe?" Young Saeng laughed.

"My parents, they've accepted Hyung Jun Oppa!"

"They didn't accept him at first?" Young Saeng asked with a straight face.

"Oh." Joelle paused, remembering Young Saeng didn't know about it, "ahh it's a long story! But really, it's the balloons I'm sure of it this time!!"

Young Saeng swallowed hard. "That's really great."

"Kumaoh, oppa. Thank you so much for all the care you've always given me."

"Yah. Silly girl." His mega-watt smile seemed to lose a little shine, but no one noticed. "Don't mention it."
________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hyung," Hyung Jun innocently giggled to himself. "Her parents accepted me."

"Whose?"

"Joelle's."

"Joelle?"

"Yeah. I confessed to her the other time but her parents knew about it and objected it. I was worried I would cause her trouble. But now..her parents are willing to accept me!"

Young Saeng smiled, "Yah. Congrats!"

Hyung Jun giggled again, "I'll propose to her again tomorrow, and ask her to be my permanent date. What do you think of this idea, hyung?"

"Yah, are you guaranteed she'll say yes?"

"Of course Hyung! I'm 97% sure she'll say yes."

"Then of course you have to go for it!"

"Hyung you really think so?" Hyung Jun asked.

"Yah, your hyung here is smart, how can you not trust me!"

"Hyung, kumaoh."

Young Saeng gave him a punch in the chest, "aren't we brothers? Kumaoh Kumaoh? You wanna die?"

Hyung Jun laughed.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Young Saeng was at the rooftop alone that night. Facing the sky, he looked at the brightest star.

"Is this what you want for her?" he asked the shinning thing.

He looked towards a small box beside him, it was filled with all her notes. Everytime Joelle finished with what she wanted to write, he would always ask her to get him a string. And it was always that split second where she turns her back that he swaps her note with a fake one.

"Is this your decision?"

Young Saeng spun his head around to see Jung Min walking towards him. Jung Min gazed at the box filled with notes.

"Will you not regret this, hyung?" Jung Min asked again.

"What are you talking about?" Young Saeng wiped the sadness off his face and replaced them with joy.

"Hyung Junnie didn't mean it, he doesn't know you like Joelle," Jung Min clarified.

"I know."

"I can talk to him if you want, just to let him know the full-"

"No, Jung Min-ah, don't."

"Hyung. But he's officially asking her out tomorrow. It'd be permanent."

Young Saeng nodded.

"Joelle doesn't even know you're the one destroying her troubles all these while."

"I'm not the one. I merely taught her how to cast them to the sky. That star there," he pointed, "it did most of the work."

"Hyung, that star is you." Jung Min pulled the box over and set it in front of Young Saeng. "Don't you think she ought to know?"

"I don't see the point."

"I do."

"Jung Min-ah, have you seen her smile? Have you seen her smiles when she's in front of me, and her smiles when she's in front of Hyung Jun? Have you any idea which one is brighter?"

"Hyung, have you seen Junnie's smile in front of Joelle, and yours when you're in front of her? Have you any idea which one is brighter?"

"Jung Min. You don't understand."

"Of course I don't! And neither do you!"

"Loving someone doesn't mean you have to own someone, it's a common saying, you've heard it before."

"It also doesn't mean you have to give it up."

"Jung Min, seeing her happy will make me happier. You know that too."

Jung Min frowned. "Hyu-"

"She's happiest with Hyung Jun."

Jung Min sighed.

"I'm grateful for your concern. You're right, it's no fault of Hyung Jun's. I'm happy this way, really."

Jung Min nodded.

Fishing out a paper, Young Saeng withdrew a pen from his pockets.


'Now that I've bade many of her troubles goodbye, I will send her heart away. I wish for her happiness.'

He tied it to a white helium balloon.

"Bring this to the brightest star," he whispered.

Gently. Reluctantly. Briefly. Young Saeng released his hold on the note. The balloon rocketed in the night air.

"Her wishes are always fulfiled by you. So who's gonna fulfil this wish of yours?" Jung Min asked, watching the balloon disappear.

Laying a hand on his brother's shoulders, he smiled.
________________________________________________________________________________________

S T O R Y E N D