Empathy

Somewhere Only We Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Don't let 10th prince and his wife escape!! Catch them!!!" The commander shouted to his subordinates. King just stood like a diva, waiting for the time he could kill his brother and the wife. Cruel.

 

Meanwhile, Wangeun and Soondeok were trying to escape through alternative way with Haesoo's help. But then, they met Wang Jung who just barked into the place.

 

"They're everywhere outside. Impossible for you guys to escape through this way. Run to another way!" The tall prince said, paniced and panted. "Run now!! You too, Haesoo!"

 

Then, Soondeok immediately grabbed Wangeun's wrist when her husband seemed speechless and so worried. "Let's go, Wangja-nim!" They ran to the opposite way with Haesoo followed after.

 

However, they were fated to end cruelly as right after they stepped out from the place, king's soldiers had gathered around them with swords in hands. Wangeun gulped but before he could do anything, Soondeok had started to fight those soldiers who tried to attack her and Wangeun.

 

Soondeok kicked one of the soldier hardly on chest and took his sword away before she came back to Wangeun to give the sword. "Here, hold this, Wangja-nim."  Even tho the prince didn't know how to fight, but at least he had something to protect himself. Soondeok continued fighting with those soldiers as the best she could, until one of them moved his sword and it slashed her leg. Soondeok flinched in pain and stumbled. On that time, another soldier took that chance to attack the general's daughter.

 

Fortunately, Wangeun who was busy swinging the sword in his hand aimlessly saw that scene. He immediately ran towards his wife and blocked the soldier's attack that attempt to hurt Soondeok even more. Now, he was standing in front of injured Soondeok while his left arm folded back, secured around his wife.

 

"Wangja-nim, you should go now."

 

"Shut up. I'll protect you this time."

 

Soondeok hissed at the pain she felt on her right leg. It started to bleeding as the cut tore up even longer.

 

"Hyung! Please let us go!!" Wangeun shouted to the king who was watching and enjoying the fighting scene since earlier. No matter how hard Wangeun tried to persuade the king, that king would still want the throne and still would kill his brothers.

 

Soondeok panted, held back the pain. It was when she felt something wasn't right so she looked around. Then, surprised to see a soldier was getting closer and lifting up his sword, about to attack Wangeun from behind. So, she could think nothing more and pushed 10th prince away before she ended up being the victim instead. The sword slashed her body in such cruel way. Right after that, her weak body fell on the sandy ground like a soulless doll.

 

Wangeun who saw it seemed so surprised and speechless. He crawled towards Soondeok and cupped her cheeks. "M-- My wife." He stuttered and eyes started to tear up. Soondeok slowly moved her gaze to her husband, weak painful smile took place on her face. "It's okay, it's okay. Let's go together. It's okay." His trembling hands cupping the wife's face. Soondeok who couldn't stay strong any longer closed her eyes and let out her last breath. "No, not yet. Soondeok ah, not yet." Wangeun cried, hard to accept all of these. His wife died from protecting him. His wife who he just started learn to love her so much. "Soondeok ah..!" He cried, forehead on her forehead, kept calling Soondeok's name when suddenly an arrow shot by the king hit directly on Wangeun's right arm. He fell back and hissed in pain.

 

Blood and cruel laughter were everywhere, sad and crying sound too. Everything turned into a huge mess!!! A dead body was lying beside her but everything was so blur. She couldn't recognize that dead bleeding body. "Eun-ie!!" Suddenly, Wang Jung shouted from distance in broken voice, calling for Wangeun's name. "Eun-ie!!!"

 

.

 

Soondeok snapped her eyes open, breathing heavily with sweaty forehead. She had a nightmare.... again. It was still too early to wake up; 2 am in morning. She calmed herself down, eyes glued at the ceiling above while hand wiped off her sweaty forehead.

 

It just a dream, a nightmare. But it felt so real. She had dreamt the same thing for few nights already. 'Is this a hint for our future? WIll we get caught... and killed by king? But who's the dead person lying beside me? What's this meaning?' Soondeok tried to find reason behind the dream but later, she shruged those bad thoughts out of her mind. Took and let out a deep breath, she turned to her side, watching her beloved prince who was still sleeping soundly.

 

"Wangja-nim..." Soondeok whispered so lowly, so it wouldn't disturb his sleep. "...I'll protect you till my last breath." She continued, snuggled closer to him even tho it was quite difficult in this state (with baby bump). Wangeun who was still sleeping naturally secured his arm around his wife when he felt the sudden warmth. "I promise." Soondeok whispered for the last time before continued to sleep.

 

.

.

.

.

 

Wangeun woke up to the sunlight that hit his face through the curtain. He sighed and turned to his side to see Soondeok was still sleeping.

 

She looked tired and still so sleepy. Of course, when you got nightmare every night, you wouldn't get enough proper sleep.

 

It was almost 7 in morning. He took a day off today, so there was no need to wake up too early. Wangeun was now resting his head on his palm, supported by elbow on the bed while watching Soondeok's sleeping face. So peaceful and cute like a baby. He smirked at the view.

 

However later, he noticed Soondeok slightly knitted her eyebrows while shut eyes tighter, as if she was having a terrible dream. It happened few times. But Wangeun didn't suspect anything tho. He just found it cute as he thought that was his wife's new sleeping habit. Especially when Soondeok slightly flinched in the sleep as if she tried to avoid something from attacking her.

 

"Are you fighting even in your sleep, dear warrior?" Wangeun spoke lowly with deep husky voice as the result from just woke up. He briefly giggle, still sounded a bit sleepy. Later, he fell his head on the pillow again and continued sleeping a bit more before woke up one hour later.

 

.

.

.

.

"Good morning, Wangja-nim." Soondeok was preparing breakfast when Wangeun leaved their bedroom and walked into kitchen.

 

Instead of replying that morning greeting, Wangeun sighed loudly. "What're you doing?"

 

"Teaching.... martial arts?" Sometimes, Soondeok could be sarcastic too. "Of course I'm making breakfast, Wangja-nim. Waeyo?"

 

"Don't waeyo me. I told you to stop using your energy to do breakfast and housework, right? We can just buy food from outside tho."

 

"But we're not sure the cleanliness of the food we buy from outside. It might be bad for babies." Soondeok said merely, still busy cooking.

 

"Ah really?" Wangeun who just realized the truth in his wife's words replied dumbly. "But-- okay then, let me cook instead. You can just sit and rest."

 

"But doesn't it mean, we'll be witnessing a burning kitchen incident later?" Soondeok teased, slightly smirked when Wangeun grunted in frustration. They both knew how terrible the 10th prince's cooking skill.

 

"Okay, okay, do whatever you want. But if you need any help, just tell me." At last, Wangeun surrendered. He was cute when he tried to help tho. Soondeok smiled at it, silently fangirl over her own husband.

 

"Nae, Wangja-nim."

 

Wangeun pour water into a glass and drank it, looked so thirsty. Hair was still damp as he just finished took a bath earlier. He took a day off today for attending antenatal classes with Soondeok. They still had no idea how was the class would going to be later, but perhaps they should give it a try.

 

Soondeok giggled ticklish when Wangeun suddenly back hugged her while pecked kisses around her neck. "W--Wangja-nim, why-- omg stop, I'm holding hot pan now. It's d--dangerous, be careful-- Wangja-nim..." She spoke between low chuckles. Her husband childishly yet naughtily giggled, nibbled her neck now. He didn't seem to stop soon, so Soondeok had to lightly hit his head using her free hand.

 

"Ackk!" Wangeun held his own head and stepped backward, pouted. "You hit me."

 

"You bit me."

 

"I-- I just want to play around."

 

Seeing that hurtful rejected puppy face, Soondeok melted at it. She placed the finished scrambled eggs from the hot pan into a plate and turned off the stove before looked around to her childish husband. "I'm sorry, Wangja-nim. Does it hurt?" She gently patted his head.

 

"Aniya." He replied lowly.

 

"You act clingy so sudden this morning..... It scared me."

 

"You're so busy and we rarely have time for each other lately. I'm always busy at my novelty goods shop and when I'm home at night, you already sleep. So, I just--- I want some attention too." Wangeun sadly muttered, sighed and looked down.

 

Soondeok stepped closer, cupped her husband's cheeks and smiled warmly. "Aren't we going to antenatal classes today? We can spend many time together there. Okay?"

 

Wangeun smiled back, "Okay. Uhm... c-- can I kiss you?"

 

Even though they had married for many years, sometimes that prince still asked for permission to kiss her own wife. So adorable.

 

Soondeok chuckled at how silly her husband could be. She nodded and closed her eyes, stood still until a pair of familiar lips pressed against her. The nightmare that had haunted her for many nights replayed in her mind right now. What if that was the hint for what would happen to them in future? Both of them get killed by king and his soldiers, just how it shown in her dream. It looked so chaos and scary. She didn't mind to die from protecting 10th prince, but the thought that maybe 10th prince would also suffer and die really broke her heart.

 

'Will I and Wangja-nim get killed at the end?' She felt scared at her own thought.

 

Wangeun broke the long kiss and noticed Soondeok's gloomy face. "What's wrong??" He asked but his wife just smiled and shook her head, refused to let Wangeun know about her nightmare.

 

'Wangja-nim had worried for so much things. I don't want him to feel even more worry when he knows about the nightmare.'

 

"Nothing." She faked out reassuring smile.

 

"Really?" Wangeun asked one more time and Soondeok nodded before she put those ready dishes into a tray.

 

"Wangja-nim, can you help me bring that pot and cups?"

 

"Sure."

 

.

.

.

.

 

"Is this the right place?" Wangeun asked to his wife beside him. They were now standing outside of a building.

 

"I guess yes." She replied. Both were having this obvious dumb clueless expression while looking up to the huge building until three married couples walked passing them into the place. Those wives were also pregnant same as Soondeok. "I guess yes, Wangja-nim." She turned to the prince. Then, they walked into the building.

 

In there, around twenty married couples already gathered. Four trainers were also there and one of them started to give instruction while the other one trainer greeted Soondeok and Wangeun who just arrived. "Let's come gather together. We'll start giving instruction, so pay attention." The pretty trainer smiled nicely to the clueless married couple.

 

"N--Nae." Soondeok replied and walked towards the rest, Wangeun followed.

 

"We decide to divide all of you into small groups as it will easier us to give personal attention. Okay? Couple with twins please get into one group and the rest be in another group." The pretty trainer said while pointing her hand to her left and right. Then, those couples started to move into their groups.

 

"What, what? Which one is ours?" Wangeun forever the lost puppy as he looked around, confused. Soondeok who understand the instruction just now took her husband's hand and went towards a group of couple with twins. "Here is ours?"

 

"Yes." Soondeok replied lowly, waiting for next instruction from their trainer who was gonna guide them for the day. While waiting for the trainer to come to their group, the other couples were chatting to one another. Soondeok and Wangeun who weren't really the type to socialize with strangers just stood silently there, until a couple approached them.

 

"How about you two? Baby girls or boys?" The pregnant mom asked, smiled friendly to Soondeok and Wangeun.

 

"Uh?" Soondeok who was looking down since earlier now lifted up her gaze to that woman. "My-- my babies-- uhm, as what doctor told us, they're twins of a pair. Girl and boy."

 

"Uwahh, that must be so nice! So your son can protect your daughter when they grow up later." Another pregnant woman smiled and congratulated the couple in front of her. Soondeok awkwardly smiled back and thanked them.

 

"If may I ask something. I notice the language you used just now sounds a bit odd. Where are you coming from?" A husband asked to Soondeok.

 

Soondeok and Wangeun weren't from this place at the first place tho. No wonder. They were still learning about many new things and culture. Trying to adapt.

 

"We're from--"

 

"--Wonsan!" Soondeok cut her husband's word. Nobody should know where they came from, she thought. This was what the best for their safety. "W--we're from Wonsan."

 

"Wonsan?? I never heard--" A woman knitted her eyebrows.

 

"It-- It's somewhere unpopular. T-- That's why." Soondeok bit her lower lip and looked down, felt guilty as she had to lie. Wangeun looked at her questioningly but understood her later. Soondeok could swear, she just wanted to run and disappear from this place as she really felt like a stranger who didn't belong to here. However, she relaxed herself when feeling Wangeun smoothly rubbed her waist, indirectly told her that everything was just fine so no need to feel guilty.

 

"What's your name, btw?" The same woman asked, smiled now.

 

'Is it okay to tell my name? Just name is fine, I guess.' Soondeok innerly asked herself. "My name is Park Soondeok."

 

"And your husband's name?"

 

Soondeok started to feel annoyed somehow when those people keep asking questions and wanted to know more about her and Wangeun.

 

"I'm Wang Eun."

 

The others nodded as respond. "It sounds like a prince's name." Suddenly, someone spoke out her thought.

 

"Prince? Which one?"

 

"The one from Goryeo. King Taejo? Uhmm.. I'm confused which one, but I've heard that name before."

 

"Ah really? Kekeke... wangeun is a nice name tho."

 

"I know right."

 

Those pregnant moms were busy chatting about wangeun's name. Meanwhile, Soondeok and Wangeun were mentally praying for peace. If only those moms know that the prince they were talking about was just standing near them at this moment. Wangeun cleared his throat, felt the tense somehow. Soondeok looked up to him, seemed concern before the prince caressed her cheek using his thumb softly as a sign of "I'm fine, don't worry." Soondeok silently sighed and looked down again.

 

Soon later, a trainer came to their group and she led them into a medium sized room, neat and nice. "So, hi! I'm your trainer for today. I'll guide you all as the best as I can. Just relax and enjoy the class, okay? Now, let's sit and shall we start now?" She looked friendly. So pretty.

 

All of them sat on the warm floor and listened to the next instructions.

 

The class officially began.

 

They were expossed to many new things. From labour and birth, until the guide for late pregnancy and what life with a newborn baby might be like. It started to get more fun from slot to slot. Wangeun and Soondeok enjoyed the class too, so far so good. So, this was how antenatal class worked. Wangeun received many attention from everyone as he was such a silly careless creature ever.

 

Just imagine he almost killed a baby replica using diaper when he tried to put the diaper on the baby. Soondeok miscounted how many times she had facepalm at her silly but cute husband. The way Wangeun let out his tongue when he tried hard and focus on the task he had to do. It was during husbands' practice time while wives stayed at the side, couldn't give help. When they needed to make milk powder and checked the temperature that suitable fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter