Unachievable

Awaiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 3 - Unachievable

 

 

Sunny could feel Taeyeon became normal around her again, though sometimes she could see something behind Taeyeon’s gaze that different from usual but couldn’t point a finger on it.

Meanwhile, Sunny was having more leisure time, and Taeyeon was getting busier and busier. And how much Sunny liked to be home, the emptiness within the house was getting larger that made her couldn’t stay at a Saturday night. Dressed casually, Sunny went for a nearby club and hang out; she simply wanted to drink and relax to shake off the loneliness by using the crowds. She was on her second glass when she started to eye the packed dance floor, her body ached to move along the beat and she finished her beer in one shot before she decided to enjoy the night. A little dance wouldn’t hurt. Too much drink would. And Sunny just had one glass.

That was when she accidentally bumped into a woman and they danced without knowing each other’s name. There wasn’t shyness in her moves and Sunny couldn’t take her eyes off of her sway. Sunny was being led and she happily followed, dancing till the space between them was getting smaller and more intimate. Bodies were getting warm, skins were sweating, but feet didn’t stop. It was when that woman had her arms around Sunny that the next song would be their last, Sunny decided. Sunny invited her for a drink and they fixed their place on the bar for fast service.

Ordering their first glass, Sunny asked for her name. It was Hyoyeon and Sunny oddly tried to remember. Hyoyeon got a nice humor and Sunny really liked her energetic, bubbly personality which was quite contrast with her own. At first, Hyoyeon’s accent made Sunny thought that she was a foreigner or lived abroad for a long time, however, it turned out Hyoyeon was just a ball of awkward cutie that would teetering in her sentences when she got nervous, and Sunny forgot how much she laughed for the night.

Hours passed and Sunny waited Hyoyeon to ask her number. Glasses were empty yet the conversation hadn’t come and Sunny was wondering if she should do her first move. She definitely wanted to have a second meeting with Hyoyeon and got closer. Sunny wasn’t thinking about dates, however, it would be awesome if it took turn into something more. Definitely better, rather than in friend zone and got all frustrated at waiting for someone that didn’t feel how she felt.

Sunny asked directly for Hyoyeon’s number on their second drink. She could see Hyoyeon was quite surprise and her stuttering made a comeback.

“M-my number?”

Sunny nodded when Hyoyeon sipped her drink. “I want to see you again, Hyo.”

Hyoyoen cleared . Sunny could see Hyoyeon’s surprise changed into discomfort. She scratched the back of her neck and quickly added her statement. “To hang out, you know. You’re fun.”

Hyoyeon nodded slightly, “Okay.” The discomfort was lessened but didn’t disappear. Hyoyeon turned her seat to face Sunny, her face showed that she tried to putting words together. “Look, Sunny. I was kind of using you for escaping from my fiancé.”

It was Sunny’s turn to be surprised. “You’re here with your fiancé?”

Hyoyeon nodded weakly. “I’m not lying to reject you, Sunny. You’re attractive and I would gladly exchange our numbers. But I just wanted to make things clear before it got complicated.”

Sunny scoffed. Apparently she wasn’t that lucky tonight.

“Was that your fiancé?” Sunny pointed out the direction with her eyes, looking passed Hyoyeon, to a woman sat on the table alone and looked pissed. “It was kind of weird that she kept looking this way. I thought she checked me out but her gaze wasn’t pleasant. Now, I know why,” Sunny laughed at the situation she was in. ” God, Hyoyeon, why you didn’t tell me earlier?”

The mood became lighter again and Hyoyeon followed the laugh, “No one wanted to mess with the taken, right? I'm glad you're cool about that.”

Sunny brushed it off with her hands, “So, what happened to you guys?”. Sunny rested her elbow on the bar table and placed her cheek on her palm. The fact that Hyoyeon got a fiancé didn’t mean they shouldn’t be friends.

“Hyun-ie was too calm” Hyoyeon answered short. She slowly stirred her margarita then continued, “Sometimes, steady relationship was boring. We don’t even do club. This is the first time because I really insisted," Hyoyeon leaned in and whispered. "might be the last.”

Sunny started to get the idea. “So, you want to experiment and I’m the lab rat?” Sunny said playfully. “Your fiancé is gorgeous by the way.”

“I know she is.” Sunny could see pride and love in Hyoyeon’s eyes with a tint of playfulness. “But, experimenting with me wasn’t that bad, right? I remember you danced so hard.” Hyoyeon’s lifted her eyebrows.

Sunny admitted by rolling her eyes. “So, what is your next move?”

Hyoyeon slyly checked her back then faced Sunny. She pointed a finger to Sunny, “excessive smiles” and she pointed to herself, “excessive laughs.” Hyoyeon held her glass for a toast which Sunny reciprocated, “and we create flirting atmosphere.”

Sunny got that and yes, she would gladly help. She had nothing to do at home so she tried to understand the game more, “So, what’s the danger line?”

Hyoyeon straightened her back and firmly said, “I won’t go back if she didn’t fetch me herself. We go all the way.”

All the way then, Sunny smiled. She fixed Hyoyeon’s tidy hair, “Should we step up the game a bit then?”

Hyoyeon squinted her eyes and smiled, “Sure. Help me check on her, I can’t see from here.”

 “Got it” Sunny winked at Hyoyeon who was scoffing shyly.

“Seems like you’ve done this a lot. Make sure you don’t get into problems with your girlfriend.”

“No, this was definitely the first and I’m free to take” Sunny took Hyoyeon’s wrist into hers, checking the time on her watch, then she took a glance at Hyoyeon’s fiancé. Fuming.

 “Seriously?” Hyoyeon was purely shocked. She pulled out her phone from her back pocket. “Oh Sunny, give me your number. I want to introduce you to someone.”

Sunny hesitated. Hyoyeon was nice but Sunny didn’t know if the fact applied to her circle of friends.  But after hearing Hyoyeon’s description and persuasion, Sunny took out her phone and they exchanged contacts. Sunny looked at her new kakao friend with chocolate lave cake as profile picture. “I had a college friend with the same name. But, she’s overseas I believe.”

“Really? She’s nice, I promise. You could file me a complaint if she wasn’t. I would cross her out from my list of friends” Hyoyeon playfully assured her.

With someone new to talk about, Sunny forgot to check on her surrounding and became panic when she did. “She was on her way!”

“Who?”

“Your fiancé.”

Hyoyeon inhaled sharply. “Right. Sunny, it has been a fun night and I appreciate your help but I think you’d better leave or hide in the bathroom for a while.”

“But, my drinks-” Hyoyeon spun Sunny’s chair away and pushed her a little.

“They’re on me. Leave, quick!”

Sunny left her chair with wobbled steps and kept looking back. The time when Hyoyeon’s fiancé tried to pursue her but was stopped by Hyoyeon, Sunny never walked any faster in her life.

 

 

 

===== ==== =====

 

 

 

It was still early, 10 p.m. but the road was too chilly for Sunny to walk half-drunk. She dropped by a small restaurant to order beef soup to sober herself which was also her dinner. While waiting for her food, she took out her phone and pondered to check on Hyoyeon or not. She did anyway, to mess around.

‘How are things?’ Sunny typed and sent it after adding ‘babe’ at the end and laughing emoji.

It wasn’t that long before she got a reply with angry emojis and a text.

‘first time I saw her got jealous an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter