Sick

Saphire Emerald Ruby Onyx (SERO)

Minnie’s POV:

    The boy never explained his plan. He just dialed some number on his phone while we all sat there confused. SangHyuk was the first to pipe in.

“Hyung, who are you calling?” Hongbin didn’t answer. He merely waved his hand as if to shoo his brother away. Then he walked further down the steps away from the rest of us. “What do you think he is doing?” Sanghyuk asked the rest of us.

    “Well obviously he is using the phone, Hyukie,” Wonshik retorted nudging Sanghyuk’s arm. Sanghyuk glared at him in response.

    “That isn’t what I meant.”

    Wonshik chuckled, “I know it wasn’t but it was still funny.”

    “Stop picking on him.” Hakyeon shook his head trying to suppress a laugh.

    “Maybe Hongbin is calling a cab or something,” Jaehwan suggested.

    “Thank you! Someone who takes my questions seriously!”

    “Or maybe he is calling a mariachi band to come sing for her and make her smile!” Jaehwan did this weird little dance and I couldn’t help but laugh. Sanghyuk smacked his hand to his forehead in frustration.

    Taekwoon shook his head as well. “I think you were probably closer with the first one Jae.” Jaehwan continued to dance obnoxiously.

    My sister tried to smile but I could tell her heart wasn’t quite in it. She leaned softly against Taekwoon his hands still on her face. I quickly busied myself with the group of hooligans in front of me. I was worried about her, but she hates undue attention. It was definitely a blessing that Wonshik, Sanghyuk, and Jaehwan decided that now was the time for comedy. If we had all just sat there in silence staring at her, Jonnie probably would have ended up yelling at someone.

    Wonshik and Jaehwan had now made a weird circle around Sanghyuk singing obnoxiously in something that I think was supposed to be spanish. I am pretty sure it was just a bunch of babbling. Sanghyuk stood there with a frustrated look on his face at first but then his demeanor shifted and he joined in the singing of the babbles and did a surprisingly precise pirouette inside the little circle. I smiled at them and leaned back against Hakyeon. He rested his head on my shoulder. My breath caught in my throat for a second and my stomach lurched. I tried very hard not to think about how close his lips were to my neck. I tried even harder not to notice that I could feel the roughness of his cheek against my skin with the beginnings of five o’clock shadow, or the feel of his hair brushing against my cheek.

    I also tried not to notice the way that Wonshik would glance at me. That his gaze would linger just a little too long. Then Hakyeon would move and Wonshik was back to playing with Sanghyuk and Jaehwan. But, eventually, he would look again.

    How was it that not a single guy ever approached me or my sister our entire lives, aside from Rory, but he doesn’t count. But now, after only two days in Korea, we have managed to attract not one, but two guys a piece.

    I suddenly felt very uncomfortable. Not in the fact that I was in Hakyeon’s arms, that filled me with much comfort. But now I felt like everyone was looking at us. Everyone was seeing me and my sister and misjudging us.

    I went to move away from him, but as soon as I thought of it, Hongbin pocketed his phone after a hushed conversation with whoever happened to be on the other line and returned to where the rest of us were standing. I looked at my sister with worry. As the seconds ticked by she looked more and more as if she were about to fall over right where she stood. I could practically feel the pain myself.

“Well?” Taekwoon’s tone matched my inner monologue. He was worried for Jonnie and it brought a small smile to my lips.

“My father is sending his town car. He should be here in twenty minutes. Usually it would take much longer but Dad had a meeting not too far away today and so the car isn’t too far away.”

“Thank you, Hongbin,” whispered Jonnie, softer than I was expecting. Her head was leaning against Taekwoon’s chest. She looked so tired and small. I felt small as well just looking at her. I leaned back against Hakyeon’s chest.

“Are you ok?” A warm voice murmured near my ear. I nodded.

“I don’t like it when she is in pain.” I murmured in return. Suddenly remembering, I stood up straight pushing away from hakyeon. “Don’t you all have soccer tonight? We are making you late.”

Jonnie lifted her head from Taekwoon’s chest looking up at him. “You are gonna get in trouble if you are late.” Taekwoon shook his head.

“No Woojeong. It is ok. We have-“ looking down at his watch he frowned. “I guess it is later than I thought.”

I smiled up at Hakyeon. “Go to practice. We will be ok. The ride is on the way.”

Hakyeon frowned, snaking his arms around my waist again. “If there wasn’t a game tomorrow, I wouldn’t even care about practice.” His eyes met mine and my heart skipped frantically in my chest.

“I understand completely. You all had obligations well before we moved to town.” I tried to smile reassuringly. I meant to ignore my sister and Taekwoon for her sake but it was rather obvious that he did not want to leave her. They whispered in hushed tones to each other and Jonnie struggled to stay upright.

Hakyeon gently turned my face back towards him. I hadn’t really realized that I had even looked away. My eyes met his once more and he smiled softly. Leaning in closer, he whispered to me, “Promise to let me know when you get home safe?”

Blushing, I murmured in response, “I would be more able to make that promise if I actually had your number.”

Hakyeon chuckled under his breath and a small smirk pulled at his lips. “That can be arranged.” One of his hands left my waist and he pulled out his phone from his back pocket. He skillfully navigated to the screen he wanted and passed me the phone. I nervously fumbled to put in my number. After three attempts to remember the proper order of the phone number I switched to last week, I hand the phone back to him.

He smiled and messed around for a few more seconds with it then pocketed it once more. Seconds later my pocket in my blazer buzzed. I jumped slightly instantly feeling ridiculous. His hand rested back on my hip and he whispered, the smirk replaced with concern, “Now promise me?”.

I nodded in response as my heart thudded in my chest. The fleeting thought crossed my mind and almost caused me to push away from him. I should not feel this way about him. We just met. Pull yourself together. Jonnie is the only person you can trust. But, I stayed there, in his arms, for a moment longer. It was comforting being in his arms. They made me feel safe and warm. So I remained there until finally and reluctantly he let go of me.

“We have to go.” His voice sounded torn and thick with emotion. I glanced over at Taekwoon and Jonnie. He still had not let her go. His forehead rested on hers and it was as if I was looking in on a private moment. His voice came out a broken whisper.

“I don’t want to leave you.” His eyes squeezed tightly shut as he holds her closer.

“I will be ok. You-” She takes a minute to steady herself so she is supporting her own weight. “You can go to practice.” His eyes open and he caresses her cheek lightly.

“Take care of yourself. Please.” She nods softly into his hand.

Hakyeon places a hand on his friends shoulder. “Come on, we are late.” He pulls Taekwoon gently and then they all are gone.

All of the strength Jonnie had been using to hold herself up, leaves her. She slumps against the railing, her eyes heavy. “Minnie. I really don’t feel good.” I rushed to my sister. No sooner had she uttered the words and a black town car pulled up to the curb.

“Come on hunny our ride is here.” I pulled my sister up and lead her down to the car. The driver opened the door and we crawled into the back seat. Jonnie felt hot with fever and a sweat had broken across her brow. “Jonnie you are burning up!” Jonnie had not been this sick in a long time. I felt a slight panic rise up in me as her head slumped against my shoulder. We would both be sick soon if we weren't careful. That is one of the things true to the twin stereotype. When I got sick, so did Jonnie and vice versa. It never failed.

The ride to our house was long and each moment that went by I grew more anxious. I worried about my sister and the pressure forming behind my eyes and at the base of my skull were not helping matters. I could tell the driver was doing his best to get us home swiftly but the traffic made it difficult. I could also tell that the longer we stayed in the car, the worse Jonnie seemed to get.

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, we pulled into our drive. The driver opened the door and seconds later our mom was rushing down the steps to meet us. WooJeong? Woomin? What’s wrong?”

“Jonnie got sick at school. I didn't wanna risk the subway and now I don't feel good either.” I grumbled as I helped my sister up the front steps.

“Well get on up to bed, the both of you! I will be up shortly with medicine and some soup.” I didn’t respond, just did as I was told.

Once Jonnie and I were upstairs we changed in pajamas and both crawled into my bed.

Jonnie looked like sleep was already almost upon her when mom hustled into our room. “It's no wonder you both get sick. You are never more than two feet from one another. Germs are real girls." Without waiting for a response, she left. I knew she was more worried than angry. What mother isn't when both of her babies are sick.

I nudged Jonnie softly and we both drank our medicine and ate our soup in silence. I placed our empty bowls on the floor. I could already hear the soft even breathing of Jonnie finally drifting to sleep. My eyes began to grow heavy and I was moments away from slumber when I remembered my promise to Hakyeon. I fished my phone from the bedside table and opened my messages. I already had two messages from Hakyeon.

H: Practice is over and no word from you yet. Are you ok?

H: Minnie? Is everything ok? Taekwoon is freaking out.

I quickly wrote back a reply.

M: I am so sorry! Traffic was terrible and I don't feel good now either and mom made us go straight to bed when we got home and I just now remembered to check my phone.

A few moments later the phone buzzed.

H: you are sick too? I knew I should have stayed with you.

M: Hakyeon you had practice. We made it home we are ok.

H: will you be at school tomorrow?

M: I don't know yet. It will depend on how we feel in the morning.

H: ok. I hope you feel better. I will let you rest.

M: goodnight Hakyeon

H: goodnight beautiful.

I stared at his message until my vision began to blur with sleep. I couldn't tell if the weird feeling in my gut was from the sickness or from his message. Butterflies or indigestion. I was too tired to care. The medicine won over and I drifted off to sleep.

WooJeong’s POV

The ride home was fitful and painful. My head pounded and my ears hurt and I couldn't stay warm. Minnie said something about a fever, I think. All I could think about besides the pain was what Taekwoon had said to me before he left. He had been so concerned and the icy persona he had shown me the day before had vanished. All I could see was the way his dark eyes pierced mine and how his quick hushed words stamped themselves into my brain.

“This seems like more than just a headache Jonnie. Are you sure you will be ok?” He had murmured to me. His hands cradled my face and the coolness of his touch was dulling the pain.

“I will be ok. I just need to go home and rest. Please try not to worry.” I tried to make my voice not sound totally pathetic. I am pretty sure I failed.

“Jonnie you can barely stand and you look like you haven’t slept in a week. How can I not worry?”

I let out a breathy chuckle. “I look that bad, huh?” A small smile replaced his worried frown in response to my attempt at a joke. He leaned in resting his forehead against mine. My breath caught in my throat.

“I meant what I said this morning. I don’t know what it is about you Jonnie. But I can’t seem to pull myself away. I don’t want to. I want to know you.”

“This isn’t exactly the way I wanted to start.” It was his turn to chuckle. At the same time my head pounded dizzyingly and I swayed slightly. Taekwoon dropped his hands from my face to my waist in an attempt to steady me.

“Woah. Careful.” The worry was thick in his voice again. I looked up at him again and cloudy spots filled my vision.

“I’m sorry. I just got dizzy for a minute.” My head continued to pound behind my eyes.

“How am I supposed to leave you like this?” He gently pulled me closer and wrapped his arms more securely around my waist.

“I am not going to be the reason you get in trouble.” I shook my head.

“I don’t care.” His eyes narrowed and he pouted like an elementary school boy.

“I care. I just got here. You guys are the only friends me and Minnie have. I’m not gonna start my life here be being that girl. I like you too much to do that.” I whispered harshly. I realized what I said much too late.

“You like me?”

“What I see so far I like.” I quipped quickly. “I haven’t exactly known you very long.”

The smile that spread across his face could have lit up the ocean floor. “I will just have to keep at it then.” He pulled me a little closer. I worried he would hear all the noise my pounding heart was making in my chest. It sounded so loud in my ears. From what I could tell he didn’t notice or, if he did, it didn’t show on his face.

My eyes met with his again and his dark irises made the rest of the world melt away. Once again I felt the gentleness of his forehead resting against mine.

The more time that passed the more my head pounded and the weaker I seemed to feel. I closed my eyes and rested my hands gently on his chest. I tried not to make it too obvious that I was using him to keep me standing.

Hakyeon finally piped up saying that they had to leave and I opened my eyes to a face so torn I felt it in my core. He held me tighter. “I don’t want to leave you.” His voice broke.

“I will be ok. You-” I pushed myself away from him determined to prove my point. “You can go to practice.” He raised his hand to lightly brush my cheek. His touch left a trail of fire behind it. Although, that may have been the fever.

“Take care of yourself. Please.”

I opened my eyes groggily to the sound of my mother’s panicked voice. At some point I must have fallen asleep. Minnie did her best to half drag the both of us inside and into our rooms. I tried to be helpful but I felt like I was just making things more difficult. I could tell she was starting to feel under the weather as well. I mentally cursed this part of our twinning. I hated that she also had to suffer. I prayed that some good sleep would put us both back to normal.

Once we both got into bed and filled our stomachs as much as we could handle, I let myself slip back into sleep. The medicine worked its way into my body and my dreams were thick and heavy feeling with the weight of liquid induced sleep. Still, his eyes and the soft melody of his voice made their place in my mind once again.